http://gamingtrend.com
September 16, 2014, 05:28:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 10 Reasons to wait for the Playstation 3  (Read 3521 times)
corruptrelic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 22, 2005, 10:01:20 AM »

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/668/668446p1.html

Reason #4: Full Backwards Compatibility
360 will let you play Halo and whatever other games Microsoft chooses to eventually support, but Sony has the PSOne and PS2 library covered, save for a few minor exceptions. Imagine booting up Tobal No. 1 just because you feel like it or taking on Shattered Soldier because you haven't gotten your ass kicked enough lately. That's what PS3 can do for you.

The coolest part is that PS3 may also be able to enhance the older games. Much in the same way PS2 improved PSOne games with better texture filters and enhanced load times, we expect PS3 games to add even better texture filtering, quicker loads, full scene anti-aliasing graphics and goodness knows what else.

Reason #1: The Blu-ray Player
Sony and Company's next-generation disc format has yet to see the light of day in its final form, but the pure technology behind the format is immensely promising from both a gaming and general entertainment standpoint. We're talking 45GB of storage space here, more than 4x the space than the 360's DVD format can muster.

More storage space means more room for content which helps widen the possibilities of the PS3's power. Who needs a next-gen system if you run out of content space on your media (and keep in mind, Microsoft has no plans to incorporate HD-DVD or anything like it)? Blu-ray's transfer rate is also quite quick, and though the PS3's actual drive speed hasn't yet been announced, speedy load times should be on the horizon. And with all of the studio support that the Blu-ray Disc Association has garnered, it's sure to be one hell of a next-gen home video format. In short, the PlayStation 3 will have the most advanced storage medium of any game system on the planet.

Definitely got to agree with #1 as my only real complaint about the Xbox 360 is they didn't go with HD-DVD or even Blu-ray.. with games like dead or alive 4 taking up every bit of space on the double layer dvd what happens in 2 or 3 years when they want to improve the graphics, add more content, more voice acting, etc.?

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Harry F. Ishnuts
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005, 11:20:04 AM »

Can you say "XBox 360 Hard Drive and a second disk?"

I knew you Sony Fanbois could.

--HFI-
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2005, 12:13:44 PM »

THe xbox360 does improve the look of the BC games (and they're adding to their library all the time). Given that Sony has another year (and yet to deliver on any of these campaign promises) I'm not sure they're not walking us through a smoke-and-mirrors factory.

Frankly the BluRay is going to cost a whackload more. If it's cheap, I *will* get a PS3 at launch. Do I expect that to happen though? Not in this lifetime. I see myself with a Revolution first.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
warning

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2005, 12:56:08 PM »

Quote from: "Harry F. Ishnuts"

--HFI-

Disc swapping in 2005/2006?  Please.  I didn't mind for the Final Fantasy games but that was in the late 90's.

As much as I love the 360's hardware (and I'll be getting one eventually) I do think Microsoft dropped the ball on disc medium and (partially) on backward compatibility.
unbreakable
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2005, 01:06:05 PM »

I thought the XB360 supported HD-DVD.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2005, 01:25:56 PM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/668/668446p1.html

Reason #4: Full Backwards Compatibility
360 will let you play Halo and whatever other games Microsoft chooses to eventually support, but Sony has the PSOne and PS2 library covered, save for a few minor exceptions. Imagine booting up Tobal No. 1 just because you feel like it or taking on Shattered Soldier because you haven't gotten your ass kicked enough lately. That's what PS3 can do for you.

The coolest part is that PS3 may also be able to enhance the older games. Much in the same way PS2 improved PSOne games with better texture filters and enhanced load times, we expect PS3 games to add even better texture filtering, quicker loads, full scene anti-aliasing graphics and goodness knows what else.

Reason #1: The Blu-ray Player
Sony and Company's next-generation disc format has yet to see the light of day in its final form, but the pure technology behind the format is immensely promising from both a gaming and general entertainment standpoint. We're talking 45GB of storage space here, more than 4x the space than the 360's DVD format can muster.

More storage space means more room for content which helps widen the possibilities of the PS3's power. Who needs a next-gen system if you run out of content space on your media (and keep in mind, Microsoft has no plans to incorporate HD-DVD or anything like it)? Blu-ray's transfer rate is also quite quick, and though the PS3's actual drive speed hasn't yet been announced, speedy load times should be on the horizon. And with all of the studio support that the Blu-ray Disc Association has garnered, it's sure to be one hell of a next-gen home video format. In short, the PlayStation 3 will have the most advanced storage medium of any game system on the planet.

Definitely got to agree with #1 as my only real complaint about the Xbox 360 is they didn't go with HD-DVD or even Blu-ray.. with games like dead or alive 4 taking up every bit of space on the double layer dvd what happens in 2 or 3 years when they want to improve the graphics, add more content, more voice acting, etc.?

I want to see some real gameplay footage from the PS3 before I get excited. All we have seen so far is pre-rendered video. That and I don't think the PS3 will be out anytime soon and it's going to cost a lot more than the 360.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2005, 01:39:44 PM »

Quote from: "Hetz"

I want to see some real gameplay footage from the PS3 before I get excited. All we have seen so far is pre-rendered video. That and I don't think the PS3 will be out anytime soon and it's going to cost a lot more than the 360.

I agree with that, except for the cost thing.  Just like we haven't seen gameplay we haven't heard Sony talk about price.  Lots of speculation but no facts.

Well, actually I just saw some news over at Evil Avatar in which...well I will quote.

According to an article on cnn, Sony CEO Howard Stringer said that the PS3 will sell for $300-$400. Sony will selling the PS3 at a loss in order to popularize Blu-ray.

Quote:
Sir Howard said the PS3 will sell for $300 to $400 and will come with a bundle of games, movies, and TV shows, many of which Sony also makes. The question is whether the titles will be bundled on Blu-ray DVD discs or on a built-in hard drive.

Quote:
Sony's CEO, Sir Howard Stringer, said recently that Sony will sell the PS3 at a loss in order to populate the world with Sony's favored high-definition DVD standard, known as Blu-ray.

So it would appear to be quite comperable in price to the 360, and have other advantages....could be interesting.

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2005, 01:47:42 PM »

Quote from: "farley2k"

I agree with that, except for the cost thing.  Just like we haven't seen gameplay we haven't heard Sony talk about price.  Lots of speculation but no facts.

Well, actually I just saw some news over at Evil Avatar in which...well I will quote.

According to an article on cnn, Sony CEO Howard Stringer said that the PS3 will sell for $300-$400. Sony will selling the PS3 at a loss in order to popularize Blu-ray.

Quote:
Sir Howard said the PS3 will sell for $300 to $400 and will come with a bundle of games, movies, and TV shows, many of which Sony also makes. The question is whether the titles will be bundled on Blu-ray DVD discs or on a built-in hard drive.

Quote:
Sony's CEO, Sir Howard Stringer, said recently that Sony will sell the PS3 at a loss in order to populate the world with Sony's favored high-definition DVD standard, known as Blu-ray.

So it would appear to be quite comperable in price to the 360, and have other advantages....could be interesting.

If they are able to sell this thing at $300 - $400 they are going to be taking a HUGE loss on each unit sold. They are not in as good financial shape right now as Microsoft. Can they really afford to do this?

I will get one for sure if it is $400 or cheaper though, just cause of the blu-ray, if nothing else.

Higher than that though and they can forget it.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
greeneggsnham
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2005, 02:00:39 PM »

I'm very interested in how they handle backwards compatability. It would be great if they could upscan PS2 games to 480p. One of my current gripes against the PS2 is that the Sly Cooper series doesn't have progressive scan support.

Not sure they could make this work, though. And, while some games would look good upsampled, a lot would probably just look worse.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2005, 02:28:00 PM »

If it comes in around the 300-400 price range count me in.  Anything else I will wait

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2005, 02:32:05 PM »

Here's my main reason for waiting for the PS3:

Reason #3: Stronger Japanese Developer Support
One of the PlayStation 2's most powerful allies in the current-gen console wars was its strong relationship with fan favorite Japanese developers. Square Enix, Konami, Capcom, Bandai, Atlus, Nippon Ichi, and Namco (among others) each offered unique content for Sony's system that you weren't going to find anywhere else. Tekken, Final Fantasy, Ace Combat, Devil May Cry, and a host of other games are just a few examples of this successful relationship... and none of them ever came out for the Xbox

Frankly, there were just not that many exclusive games on the original XBox that I wanted. Maybe that'll change with the XBox 360, but as of now I don't see it.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2005, 02:43:55 PM »

Microsoft has a lot more Japanese support this time around.  I can't quantify how much, but it has been talked about quite a bit.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2005, 03:11:14 PM »

Earlier in this thread

In another thread
Quote from: "Harry F. Ishnuts again"
Jealous Sony Fanbois

In still another thread
Quote from: "Harry F. Ishnuts yet again"
The Sony fanbois are getting more and more defensive.

Finally in this thread
Does anyone above the age of 10 actually use the word "awesome?"

My question is does anyone above the age of 10 actually use the word "fanboi?"  Much less three times in less than three weeks?

If you have something to add to the discussion here then please continue to contribute.  If you're just trolling people who like Sony then I'll suggest another forum: http://boards.ign.com/
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2005, 03:18:28 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
Earlier in this thread

In another thread
Quote from: "Harry F. Ishnuts again"
Jealous Sony Fanbois

In still another thread
Quote from: "Harry F. Ishnuts yet again"
The Sony fanbois are getting more and more defensive.

Finally in this thread
Does anyone above the age of 10 actually use the word "awesome?"

My question is does anyone above the age of 10 actually use the word "fanboi?"  Much less three times in less than three weeks?

If you have something to add to the discussion here then please continue to contribute.  If you're just trolling people who like Sony then I'll suggest another forum: http://boards.ign.com/

WARNING!  A troll has invaded the boards.  Be on the lookout for a Harry Ishnuts.  Signs you might have found him are bad posture, bad teeth, garbage like smell, and drool.  Approach with caution!!!!

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2005, 03:24:26 PM »

I think a lot of the exclusivity might go up in smoke with this generation, unless I completely misunderstand Japanese developer loyalty to Sony. But with Blu-Ray drives offering so much more capacity per disc than standard DVDs, I'm sure developers will leap at the chance to cram as much as they can onto each disc.

Imagine if Rockstar actually used a quality graphics engine with their GTA games and did a life-size version of New York or something similar? Friggin' gigantic game. Or Final Fantasy 13 or 14 maxing out the disc with multiple worlds and unbelievable cinematics.

That is if everything works out. Recall that we've seen two things from Sony - smoke & mirrors. Until they put up, they can shut up IMO. And this is coming from a Sony fanboi. smile

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2005, 03:39:38 PM »

Quote from: "Arkon"
Microsoft has a lot more Japanese support this time around.  I can't quantify how much, but it has been talked about quite a bit.

I think it really comes down to how well the XBox 360 sells in Japan. If MS does as poorly as it did in the last generation, I doubt too many of the Japanese companies will feel compelled to jump onboard.
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2005, 04:15:40 PM »

Well, until I see actual gameplay footage and not pre-rendered footage its all smoke and mirrors.  I felt this way with the 360 and I feel this way with PS3.  The 360 can probably render footage that EA showed off with Madden 06, but that was without anything else thrown in.  The CPU and Graphic card just had to do was the visuals. Throw gameplay  and everything else in and you have the much tone down version of the Madden 360.  Very nice visually, but no where near the quality that EA was showing

Its the same thing with the PS3 til Sony proves me wrong.  The footage of Killzone and MGS 4 looks fantastic, but unitl I see actual game-play I won't believe the hype

NiM$
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2005, 04:29:27 PM »

Quote from: "tru1cy"
Well, until I see actual gameplay footage and not pre-rendered footage its all smoke and mirrors.  I felt this way with the 360 and I feel this way with PS3.  The 360 can probably render footage that EA showed off with Madden 06, but that was without anything else thrown in.  The CPU and Graphic card just had to do was the visuals. Throw gameplay  and everything else in and you have the much tone down version of the Madden 360.  Very nice visually, but no where near the quality that EA was showing

Its the same thing with the PS3 til Sony proves me wrong.  The footage of Killzone and MGS 4 looks fantastic, but unitl I see actual game-play I won't believe the hype

I don't understand the reasoning behind this.

Do you really expect for Sony, who is launching up to a year after Microsoft, to come out with a machine that has less capability than the Xbox 360?

Right now, my primary concern is the price and the developer support. PS3 graphics are the least of my worries.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2005, 04:30:07 PM »

Quote from: "Ralph-Wiggum"
Quote from: "Arkon"

I think it really comes down to how well the XBox 360 sells in Japan. If MS does as poorly as it did in the last generation, I doubt too many of the Japanese companies will feel compelled to jump onboard.

I'm very curious to see what happens on the Japanese 360 launch day.  I just don't see how it would be possible for Microsoft to make the 360 a success.  They're starting from scratch, the Xbox 1 essentially never existed in Japan.  

I was in Japan a couple months ago, and even in the biggest toy stores Xbox games had zero shelf space, out of 6-7 rows of Sony and Nintendo.  In fact, I think the only American piece of electronics I saw for sale over there was the iPod.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2005, 04:32:02 PM »

Yeah, same here.  If the PS3 does just like the 360 and has real-time graphics significantly below that of the initial prerendered promotional videos (think Madden here and their promises that the game would look as good or better) then I'll be just as disappointed with the PS3's launch as the 360's.   :?

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
adamsappel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2005, 04:32:51 PM »

Harry, "fanbois" is properly spelled with a "z" at the end.

Why does anyone doubt that incredible graphics will be standard on the PS3? The price is certainly open for debate, though I think it will be $400. The Killzone trailer was ginned-up "gameplay," yes, but given their extra year of development, they'll certainly hit that visual quality (if not framerate). I doubt that exclusivity will change much--each console will always have its own must-have first-party games--but third-party games will be mostly interchangeable (excepting the Revo, for obvious reasons).

Xbox Live Gamertag: adamsappel
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2005, 04:34:48 PM »

Quote from: "Ralph-Wiggum"
Here's my main reason for waiting for the PS3:

Reason #3: Stronger Japanese Developer Support
One of the PlayStation 2's most powerful allies in the current-gen console wars was its strong relationship with fan favorite Japanese developers. Square Enix, Konami, Capcom, Bandai, Atlus, Nippon Ichi, and Namco (among others) each offered unique content for Sony's system that you weren't going to find anywhere else. Tekken, Final Fantasy, Ace Combat, Devil May Cry, and a host of other games are just a few examples of this successful relationship... and none of them ever came out for the Xbox

Frankly, there were just not that many exclusive games on the original XBox that I wanted. Maybe that'll change with the XBox 360, but as of now I don't see it.

Same here Ralph, on both points.

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2005, 04:47:41 PM »

--HFI-

Disc swapping in 2005/2006?  Please.  I didn't mind for the Final Fantasy games but that was in the late 90's.

As much as I love the 360's hardware (and I'll be getting one eventually) I do think Microsoft dropped the ball on disc medium and (partially) on backward compatibility.

I'm surprised that the 360 isn't catching as much flak for going with a lower capacity storage medium in this generation than is available as Nintendo did for making essentially the same choice with the Cube.

I also don't think it's going to hurt the 360 any more than it did the Cube.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2005, 04:52:17 PM »

I fully expect the PS3 to be more capable than the 360, for two reasons:

1) Sony lost the tech battle last time, I'm sure they don't want to repeat that.
2) They're coming out later.  Of course they'll be better.

That being said, I'm going to own both systems.  There's just too much I'd want to play on each not to.

gellar
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2005, 04:53:57 PM »

Quote from: "farley2k"

Quote:

Quote:

That article was debunked.  Read the rest of the thread and you'll see why Borys didn't post it originally.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2005, 04:56:31 PM »

Quote from: "ChaoZ"
Quote from: "tru1cy"

I don't understand the reasoning behind this.

Do you really expect for Sony, who is launching up to a year after Microsoft, to come out with a machine that has less capability than the Xbox 360?

Right now, my primary concern is the price and the developer support. PS3 graphics are the least of my worries.

No, I don't expect the PS3 to be less capable system than the 360.  In fact I hope it surpasses the 360.  My point  is that while visuals are nice actual gameplay is what impresses me.  Sony and MS touted the graphic prowess of their new consoles, but MS at least showed actual gameplay eventually.  Sony is still riding the visual prowess of the upcoming PS3.  Give me gameplay

Also, being backwards compatible isnot that important to me.  I rarely hold onto titles unless they are real special to me and I haven't had one of those in awhile.  Going back to play a game that I previouisly beat is something I rarely do.  I understand this is important to others but to me its a "Who Cares"

Also, I really hold any loyalty to either MS, Nintendo or Sony.  To me its all about the games and gameplay

NiM$
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2005, 04:58:08 PM »

Wow, I guess you don't play PC games that much?  They are only just now  figuring out that everybody has a dvd drive nowdays.  I'll play a good game regardless of how many disks it comes on.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
warning

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2005, 05:07:35 PM »

Quote from: "th'FOOL"

Wow, I guess you don't play PC games that much?  They are only just now  figuring out that everybody has a dvd drive nowdays.  I'll play a good game regardless of how many disks it comes on.

Well that's not really a fair comparison.  When I installed the CD version of FEAR it came on 5 CD's.  I had to swap them all once to install the game then I only used one CD after that.  With console games the disc has to be swapped mid-game.  Six of one and half of the other.

Except I don't want to have to swap discs on consoles anymore now that we have incredibly huge storage capacity.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2005, 06:33:59 PM »

The fact that the PS3 will be more powerful, have more developer support and debut at around the same price as the 360 has eased my mind in my decision to wait for it.  I'm really happy about the price-point.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2005, 07:01:31 PM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
The fact that the PS3 will be more powerful, have more developer support and debut at around the same price as the 360 has eased my mind in my decision to wait for it.  I'm really happy about the price-point.

There's nothing to prove the PS3 will debut at around the same price point. As has already been said those quotes by Stringer have been debunked. The only real statements so far are Kutagari saying stuff to the opposite(i.e. expect the PS3 to be much more expensive because its way more powerful and much more than a games system).
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2005, 07:04:26 PM »

I doubt we'll have anything concrete prior to the the 2006 GDC. I forget which trade show comes first, either GDC or CES but whichever it is I think that's where Sony will start showing off. God I hope the 2006 E3 has something tangible from Sony and not phantom renders again. If they don't show a whole hell of a lot this coming spring, then that might tip all of us off that Sony is in a tougher bind than we thought.

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2005, 08:02:43 PM »

I dont know,... All this "With an added year they will"  it all depends on what Sony does with the extra year.  If thier system setup is done now, and developers are already working on designing games for the finished product, then the games will be amazing.  IF Szony isnt near done desinging the system, good games will be a slow a coming.

I have the wait and see approach with both systems, I'm not jumping on or off any bandwagons until both systems have had a while after the sytem comes out to develop better games and make thier system work.

Screw all this other jibber jabber like exsclusive games, online support etc.  What it comes down to is who has the best games.  And we probably wont be seing any of them at launch, but more 6+ months down the road.  So, save your "Fanboyism" until the good games come out. (As opposed to someone claims it will be a good game)

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2005, 08:17:05 PM »

Well the original Nintendo had some great games, yet who would want to play Nintendo now days when you can get everything in full 3d? (From the same company I might add)
Games count a lot, but without the graphics and power to back it up, it just looks bland and boring. Reason I just traded in my nintendo DS, the graphics were horrible.

IMO backwards compatiblity is a must. I've been playing Tribes Aerial Assault (for PS2) for about 3 years now and still play it frequently.
If the game only has a singleplayer campaign and you beat it, I can understand giving it up. But some ps2 games such as tribes, killzone, quake 3, battlefront 2, and  even smackdown vs raw 2006, all have  AI bots available in all multiplayer modes offline for unlimited replayability. So beating the singleplayer campaign is just the tip of the iceberg.
I still load up Space Hulk Veangeance of the Blood Angels (PS1) sometimes just for the squad based combat and first leadership AI I've seen in a FPS.

Paying $50+ for a game feels a little more re-assuring when you know it'll be compatible come the next generation.
Paying 50 bucks on an xbox game with 360 out and thinking of getting it, is a gamble. Not even the best selling battlefront 1 (or 2) are backwards compatible.
The only game that interests me on the 360 is perfect dark zero. Until new games come out, it's great to know you can still play the last generation games to hold you over. I definitely would have gotten Counterstrike and both Unreal Championships although unfortunately, none of them are compatible with the xbox 360.

I'm not a sony "fanboi" by the way I just like the way Sony is taking the playstation 3. High capacity DVD's for developers to take advantage of, web browsing, mouse and keyboard support, full backwards compatiblity, and possibly the hard drive coming preinstalled with linux. What more could you ask for?

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2005, 08:51:37 PM »

to quote bender: "Hookers and alchohol and gambling"

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2005, 11:38:20 PM »

Except I don't want to have to swap discs on consoles anymore now that we have incredibly huge storage capacity.

So having to put in a second or third DVD at hour 40 and 80 of a gaming experience is enough to make you not want the console?  Wow.

I'm happy MS decided to go with a cheaper hardware choice to keep console costs down, as well as not making a decision before the DVD format wars were over and putting themselves into a corner.  Sony Blu-Ray is well and good, but since HD-DVD has essentially won the war, they're going to run the risk of being a Betamax all over again.  A year from now Blu-Ray might be something that no one is interested in EXCEPT for PS3.  What's Sony going to do then?
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2005, 11:57:17 PM »

Quote from: "Rowdy"

So having to put in a second or third DVD at hour 40 and 80 of a gaming experience is enough to make you not want the console?  Wow.

I'm happy MS decided to go with a cheaper hardware choice to keep console costs down, as well as not making a decision before the DVD format wars were over and putting themselves into a corner.  Sony Blu-Ray is well and good, but since HD-DVD has essentially won the war, they're going to run the risk of being a Betamax all over again.  A year from now Blu-Ray might be something that no one is interested in EXCEPT for PS3.  What's Sony going to do then?

Remain content with the fact that all of the Hollywood studios and power brokers except for Microsoft and HP (I think) are supporting Blu-Ray. slywink HD-DVD has already lost the war before it began, something not a lot of people expected.

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2005, 12:20:48 AM »

but since HD-DVD has essentially won the war, they're going to run the risk of being a Betamax all over again. A year from now Blu-Ray might be something that no one is interested in EXCEPT for PS3. What's Sony going to do then?

You've got it backwards. All the movie studios are now supporting Blu-Ray over HD-DVD. HD-DVD is on the ropes.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2005, 12:37:45 AM »

Even with Blu-ray getting more support the factors of cost will keep a new DVD standard from coming for years yet. We will be at the tail end of the 360/PS3 by the time it happens.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2005, 02:10:50 AM »

Quote from: "Jumangi"
Even with Blu-ray getting more support the factors of cost will keep a new DVD standard from coming for years yet. We will be at the tail end of the 360/PS3 by the time it happens.

Well, that's what I thought too but the hardware makers seem utterly hell-bent on forcing a new technology on us. If we pick up a PS3 then by default we'll have a Blu-Ray device in the house. But as with all new technology, they're going to have to sell me on it with a ton of product geared specifically towards it. If they could fit all four LOTR SE discs onto one Blu-Ray disc, but it costs twice as much as the existing box set, then hell no. I can appreciate the tech advance, but I have the same thing for cheaper right now. Not unlike the game developers switching from CDs to DVDs for their games. Sure CoD 2 comes on a single DVD, but I'll take my 5 CDs because I don't have a DVD ROM right now. It's more of a pain to install from multiple discs, but since I've done it for so long convenience is not the only reason for me to switch.

Hopefully, movies will actually embrace the tech and cram each disc with a ton of stuff that's not just fluff filler. I don't know how long the public will take to embrace this though since existing DVDs only seem to improve each year. But we'll see soon enough.

/derail over

Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2005, 02:54:43 AM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"

The price point for the PS3 does seem to be sounding higher than the Xbox 360.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised at a $500 price point right now.

While the PS3 might be more powerful, I don't think there will be that much difference in the games.  Take a look at all of the borked games released for multiple systems that are crippled because of the technology behind the PS2.  I think that the difference between the PS3 and the Xbox 360 will be insignificant compared to the difference between the Xbox 360 and PS3.

Microsoft has been working with developers in Japan to gain support again, and I believe that Japanese support will be a non-issue with the Xbox 360.  The Japanese market is shrinking, so it is becoming less significant.  Is it an important market?  Yes.  Is it the powerhouse it once was?  Not so much.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: