http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 09:34:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 10 New Gaming Cliches  (Read 821 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: September 25, 2009, 03:02:15 PM »

some that need to go away while other that don't.  My big one on that list is QTE's, those need to die a horrible, painful death.  I also have to say that, after playing games with regeneratin health for so long, going back to older games without it requires a change in play style.

I also like the honorable mentions.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 03:39:01 PM »

Here's the thing about health regeneration.  It has to be regarded as a gameplay mechanic.  Health is a resource, like ammo, and when a developer decides to use health regeneration, it takes away a layer of resource management.  Sometimes that's a good thing.  The treasure hunt can be annoying.  Sometimes it's not though, as it necessitates a different style of play when you don't heal up automatically.

QTEs suck, almost always.  They feel artificial and remind me that I'm playing a videogame.

I hate the trend towards DLC.  I'm paying $60 for your game.  If a developer supports it, I'm less likely to sell it.  But I also find myself avoiding EA games because I feel they're trying to squeeze me.  In-game ads (like the obnoxious pop-ups during Madden) also drive me nuts.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 03:41:20 PM »

Heh...when I was in the military (and not a Marine, thanks) I was pretty closed to the "Space Monkey" haircut. 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 05:52:06 PM »

Heh, I think the honorable mentions were even better than the top ten (which were also great).  Far Cry 2 was actually made more confusing because the red barrels didn't really explode - the yellow ones did.   I was so conditioned to shooting at red barrels that I would accidentally shoot the wrong one and set of the guards.

Vent crawling would be the #1 cliche on my list.   At least the other ones have examples where a game does it right and it doesn't distract.  I can't think of a single game (Metal Gear Solid included) that made vent crawling fun.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 05:53:29 PM »

I love me some DLC, but that article was right, it's stupid when this stuff comes out a week after the game ships.  We pay for content that should have already been in there.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 06:09:03 PM »

Quote from: Dimmona on September 25, 2009, 05:52:06 PM

Heh, I think the honorable mentions were even better than the top ten (which were also great).  Far Cry 2 was actually made more confusing because the red barrels didn't really explode - the yellow ones did.   I was so conditioned to shooting at red barrels that I would accidentally shoot the wrong one and set of the guards.

Vent crawling would be the #1 cliche on my list.   At least the other ones have examples where a game does it right and it doesn't distract.  I can't think of a single game (Metal Gear Solid included) that made vent crawling fun.

Not even Batman: Arkham Asylum?  For shame!  disgust

Sneaking around vents and taking goons out silently is one of the most fun aspects of the game.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 06:11:32 PM »

Half Life had a cool sequence where a group of soldiers heard you crawling in the vents and started shooting holes in it. Vents can be cool if used right. Of course, they usually aren't.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 06:18:29 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on September 25, 2009, 06:11:32 PM

Half Life had a cool sequence where a group of soldiers heard you crawling in the vents and started shooting holes in it. Vents can be cool if used right. Of course, they usually aren't.

That was the coolest vent sequence of all time!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 08:41:54 PM »

you have to figure most vents aren't that big (think Die Hard where he had to crawl prone through them), they're noisy to crawl through and probably fairly dusty.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 09:39:32 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on September 25, 2009, 05:53:29 PM

I love me some DLC, but that article was right, it's stupid when this stuff comes out a week after the game ships.  We pay for content that should have already been in there.

Games are usually done a month or two before they're on shelves.  It's not out of the question that the developers spent the time between the game going gold and it getting to shelves finishing up half-developed ideas that were cut due to time constraints.  I'm not saying that content might not be held back as a business decision, but I am saying that just because DLC comes out the week of release doesn't mean that it was ready to be included on the disc.

Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2009, 02:24:13 AM »

Namco loves to actually INCLUDE the downloadable content on the disc, so that you can quickly pay more for the game you just bought.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: