http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 08:14:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
 
   Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: *Warning* Positive PS3 Article Inside - Enter At Your Own Risk  (Read 1916 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Hetz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4217


View Profile
« on: March 23, 2007, 07:42:43 PM »

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3158204

Why February's NPD Numbers Don't Condemn Sony

Sony's PS3 is actually outselling the 360 -- from a certain point of view.

Quote
In addition to selling more over the first four months of its lifespan than the Xbox 360's first four months, the biggest software seller on PlayStation 3 outsold the biggest 360 title during those same four months. According to NPD, Insomniac's Resistance: Fall of Man sold 430K units through February -- the biggest selling Xbox 360 launch game over same period -- Perfect Dark Zero -- sold 396K units across two SKUs. The system is selling better over the first four months of its lifespan than the 360 and its major launch game outsold the 360's best selling launch game during the same window.

Obviously this guy must be some kind of evil Xbox hater, am I right?
Logged

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Brendan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3841


two oh sickness


View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 08:01:39 PM »

I'm not sure he's right about the #1 360 game from that era:  my recollection is that it was COD2, not PDZ.  It seems like it'd be a lot of work to actually check, of course.
Logged
deadzone
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 568


View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 08:03:47 PM »

Most definitely a wacko and 360 hater trying to dress up insane dribble as something else with coherent thoughts, facts, and figures to back it up.  F'ING HATER!  smile

In all seriousness, the only thing that really seems worrisome to me for the PS3 is the fact that they do have consoles available right now - extremely available in fact.  What is causing Sony to not be able to consistently sell-out of it's stock and essentially have a demand vs. supply problem like the Wii seems to still have?  I just don't know if I buy the price argument anymore, especially when I see what MS is doing with the XB360.  People seem to be willing to pay around a 600 dollar figure for a console, no matter it a 360 bundle, PS3, or some insane Wii-Bundle that's out there.

   
Logged
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 7325



View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 08:05:08 PM »

Fair enough.

But also to be fair the article mentions:

Quote
How much more would the Xbox 360 have sold had supply not be so constrained in the first four months after launch?

Time will tell who winds up on top I suppose.
Logged
StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 171


View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 08:08:20 PM »

Why must we do this?  Why must we really care.  It's all personal.  If you like one system over the other, then fine.  I myself want them both to do very well, as i am a gamer and could care less about what company makes the games as long as they are great.  I only own a 360 right now, but I KNOW I will be purchasing a PS3 down the road, there is no if's and's or but's about it.  Can't we agree that both are pretty good next gen systems with potential to deliver us some great games and move on.  Let's just talk about the games man...  You'd think people were arguing over their penis sizes as much as people argue over 360 vs. PS3.  And this is nothing directly toward you Hetz, I'd just love to see more direct game talk on this board overall.  I love the impressions and personal game screen shots people give of games.  It's why I visit this forum.
Logged
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 15920


▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start


View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 08:09:38 PM »

Quote from: warning on March 23, 2007, 08:05:08 PM

But also to be fair the article mentions:

Quote
How much more would the Xbox 360 have sold had supply not be so constrained in the first four months after launch?

That is the issue here in the end.
Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
wonderpug
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 11329


hmm...


View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 08:19:07 PM »

We're all still going in circles betting on the flop, when is the river going to come along?  What's the next BIG title, Heavenly Sword?
Logged
Hetz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4217


View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 08:23:04 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 23, 2007, 08:19:07 PM

We're all still going in circles betting on the flop, when is the river going to come along?  What's the next BIG title, Heavenly Sword?

LAIR - Out in May

Warhawk (maybe, depending on how it turns out) - This Summer
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 08:27:02 PM by Hetz » Logged

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
unbreakable
Guest
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 08:40:08 PM »

"My console epeen is bigger than yours"
Logged
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13976


View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2007, 08:47:27 PM »

I don't really agree with the article for several reasons:

1.  His contention that if the PS3 can keep pace with the 360 over the first year then it has to be considered at least semi-successful.  Bullshit- this is the follow up to the most successful console of all time, it shouldn't merely be keeping pace with the follow up to a console that did only a fifth the sales of what the PS2 did and sold less than widely regarded as a failure N64.  Also, total sales may be slightly higher over the first four months, but the delta between the January and February sales is very concerning and points that the PS3 is probably losing pace.

2.  Sales aren't bad considering the lack of software.  That's the wrong way to look at it.  The lack of software is huge concern because, barring a price drop, it's the only thing that's going to kick start sales.  Motorstorm will help but I doubt it will sell nearly as much as GRAW did last March and Oblivion probably won't even do half of what the 360 SKU did last year.  There isn't any major system selling software on the horizon for several months and maybe even longer.  So sales are likely to remain low and that goes back to the first point- that install base gap is only going to widen.

3.  Well, it's doing pretty good considering the price.  That's only relevant if Sony were making money on each unit sold.  If the PS3's bill of goods was $400 and they sold a million units at $600 with a plan to drop the price strategically as sales dried up (which is how most regular electronics works) then it would be a sound practice.

Consoles are in business to make money.  Both Sony and MS operate under the same principal to accomplish this- install base is king: If they can get their install base high enough then the licensing fees they make on the software that sells to that large install base more than makes up for losses they incur in hardware.  If they can't grow the install base because of too high a price of console (Point 3) or lack of good software (Point 2), then that means no licensing money coming in which means no money for Sony.  Sounds like failure to me. 

Quote from: Brendan on March 23, 2007, 08:01:39 PM

I'm not sure he's right about the #1 360 game from that era:  my recollection is that it was COD2, not PDZ.  It seems like it'd be a lot of work to actually check, of course.

I'm about 99% sure you're right.  CoD 2 was far and away the biggest initial seller for 360. 
Logged
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 12466


GO UTES!!


View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2007, 08:54:10 PM »

Quote from: StitchJones on March 23, 2007, 08:08:20 PM

Why must we do this?  Why must we really care.  It's all personal.  If you like one system over the other, then fine.  I myself want them both to do very well, as i am a gamer and could care less about what company makes the games as long as they are great.  I only own a 360 right now, but I KNOW I will be purchasing a PS3 down the road, there is no if's and's or but's about it.  Can't we agree that both are pretty good next gen systems with potential to deliver us some great games and move on.  Let's just talk about the games man...  You'd think people were arguing over their penis sizes as much as people argue over 360 vs. PS3.  And this is nothing directly toward you Hetz, I'd just love to see more direct game talk on this board overall.  I love the impressions and personal game screen shots people give of games.  It's why I visit this forum.

Dude, just stop.  We'll have none of that rational thought 'round these parts.
Logged

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
denoginizer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6538


View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2007, 09:32:40 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on March 23, 2007, 08:47:27 PM

I'm about 99% sure you're right.  CoD 2 was far and away the biggest initial seller for 360. 

I believe Madden 360 also outsold PDZ.  At least thru Feb.
Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6073


View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2007, 09:52:09 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on March 23, 2007, 07:42:43 PM

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3158204

Why February's NPD Numbers Don't Condemn Sony

Sony's PS3 is actually outselling the 360 -- from a certain point of view.

Quote
In addition to selling more over the first four months of its lifespan than the Xbox 360's first four months, the biggest software seller on PlayStation 3 outsold the biggest 360 title during those same four months. According to NPD, Insomniac's Resistance: Fall of Man sold 430K units through February -- the biggest selling Xbox 360 launch game over same period -- Perfect Dark Zero -- sold 396K units across two SKUs. The system is selling better over the first four months of its lifespan than the 360 and its major launch game outsold the 360's best selling launch game during the same window.

Obviously this guy must be some kind of evil Xbox hater, am I right?

"From a certain point of view" you can make just about anything seem like a good thing.

Word a survey right and you can always back up your opinion.
Logged
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Online Online

Posts: 9350



View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2007, 11:36:31 PM »

All the article is saying is that the PS3 is still doing well after launch, and that's despite a major competitor beating them to market by a year.

Things should be interesting in a year once we start seeing any Sony first party games.
Logged
unbreakable
Guest
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2007, 12:27:17 AM »

Both the 360 and PS3 had really bad launches... so it's not surprising they had pretty much the same bad numbers.

However, it's probably more important to look at what went wrong with each launch, rather than just looking at statistics.  For example, how about comparing the total console sales to the total available units?
Logged
msduncan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 2992


Roll Tide!!!!


View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2007, 12:40:31 AM »

The Xbox 360 sucks because you have to buy all sorts of exterior crap to make it work like the clearly superior PS3.
Logged
msduncan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 2992


Roll Tide!!!!


View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2007, 12:41:21 AM »

The PS3 sucks because the interface and online bit is lagging WAAAAY behind the clearly superior Xbox 360.
Logged
msduncan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 2992


Roll Tide!!!!


View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2007, 12:42:05 AM »

The Wii sucks because it has a HORRIBLE online component and the games are for people that wear diapers.  (young or old).
Logged
Hetz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4217


View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2007, 12:43:15 AM »

I suck because I bought Armored Core 4 frown
Logged

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
msduncan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 2992


Roll Tide!!!!


View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2007, 12:43:39 AM »

If you'll excuse me, I'm off to play Gears of War, Resistance, and Zelda.
Logged
Hetz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4217


View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2007, 12:45:26 AM »

If you'll excuse me, I have to go play Armored Core 4....   crybaby

(say a prayer for me)
Logged

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 71766


La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!


View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2007, 12:56:40 AM »

Quote
CeeKay: [approaching Calvin] I can't do it, Cal. I can't go on alone.
Obi-Wan: [from out of sight] Yoda will always be with you.
CeeKay: Obi-Wan.
[Obi-Wan's spirit approaches CeeKay]
CeeKay: Why didn't you tell me? You told me Sony betrayed and murdered my friend.
Obi-Wan: Your friend... was seduced by the Dark Side of the Consoles. He ceased to be Hetz and BECAME Darth Sony. When that happened, the good man who was your friend was destroyed. So what I told you was TRUE... from a certain point of view.
CeeKay: A certain point of view?
Obi-Wan: CeeKay, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...
[sits down]
Obi-Wan: depend greatly on our own point of view. Hetz was a good friend.
[CeeKay sits next to Obi-Wan]
Obi-Wan: When I first knew him, your friend was already a great pilot. But I was amazed how strongly the 360 was with him. I took it upon myself to train him as a playa. I thought that I could instruct him just as well as Yoda. I was wrong.
CeeKay: There IS still good in him. I've felt it.
Obi-Wan: He more machine now than man; twisted and evil.
CeeKay: I can't do it, Ben.
Obi-Wan: You cannot escape your destiny. You must face Darth Sony again.
CeeKay: I can't kill my own Friend.
Obi-Wan: Then the Kutaragi has already won. You were our only hope.
CeeKay: Yoda spoke of another.
Obi-Wan: The other he spoke of is your twin sister.
CeeKay: But I HAVE no sister.
Obi-Wan: Hmm. To protect you both from the Kutaragi, you were hidden from your father when you were born. The Kitaragi knew, as I did, if Hetz were to have any friends, they would be a threat to him. That is the reason why your sister remains safely anonymous.
CeeKay: Lockdown! Lockdown's my sister.
Obi-Wan: Your insight serves you well. Bury your feelings deep down, CeeKay . They do you credit, but they could be made to serve the Kutaragi.

 icon_twisted
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 01:00:37 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Dimmona
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1684


View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2007, 02:37:37 AM »

And we've come full circle... let the NintendoSony's making money! posts begin

 icon_biggrin

Logged

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
tripwire
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 148


View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2007, 03:47:52 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on March 23, 2007, 08:09:38 PM

Quote from: warning on March 23, 2007, 08:05:08 PM

But also to be fair the article mentions:

Quote
How much more would the Xbox 360 have sold had supply not be so constrained in the first four months after launch?

That is the issue here in the end.

+1

Quote
Briefly ignoring just how supply constrained the 360 was during that four month period

You simply can't ignore it.

They didn't even mention the attach rate for both.
Logged
Brendan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3841


two oh sickness


View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2007, 04:31:53 AM »

I sent mail to Luke Smith, the author, about COD2.  Here's his response:

"Thanks, I respecified about it being "first party" games. I think Call of Duty 2 was the biggest seller over the four month period."

He edited it to read:

"In addition to selling more over the first four months of its lifespan than the Xbox 360's first four months, the biggest first party software on PlayStation 3 outsold the biggest first party 360 title during those same four months. According to NPD, Insomniac's Resistance: Fall of Man sold 500K units through February -- the biggest selling first party Xbox 360 launch game over same period -- Perfect Dark Zero -- sold 396K units across two SKUs."
Logged
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 16378



View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2007, 07:51:08 AM »

in the end a ps3 will no doubt come my way(i have the other two),and i am sure i will be fine

here in the UK,i got my 360 in the second week of december 2005(god its been that long already???)...i was quite lucky,as we didnt seem to get any more 360's at a decent flow until march i think... i had my head in final fantasy 11 360 beta at the time...so whether(well it proberbly did)it had an effect on how the sales were doing i am not sure...the 360 hasnt faired that badly actually over here....the usual games were number 1 on all format charts(that is until FF12 came out)

Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Brendan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3841


two oh sickness


View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2007, 03:25:47 PM »

Sure - I just think it's hilarious that the entire point of the article (as well as Hetz's citing of it) is undercut by the change.  Attach rate is a much better metric.
Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 71766


La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!


View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2007, 03:51:46 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on March 24, 2007, 04:31:53 AM

I sent mail to Luke Smith, the author, about COD2.  Here's his response:

"Thanks, I respecified about it being "first party" games. I think Call of Duty 2 was the biggest seller over the four month period."

He edited it to read:

"In addition to selling more over the first four months of its lifespan than the Xbox 360's first four months, the biggest first party software on PlayStation 3 outsold the biggest first party 360 title during those same four months. According to NPD, Insomniac's Resistance: Fall of Man sold 500K units through February -- the biggest selling first party Xbox 360 launch game over same period -- Perfect Dark Zero -- sold 396K units across two SKUs."


I wonder what it would have been if CoD2 hadn't been multiplatform....
Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 397



View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2007, 04:08:26 PM »

Just a personal anecdote: I bought my 360 just about a year ago now, and it took some major searching for about two weeks to find one. IIRC, April first was about the turning point, as all the major retailers got big shipments in for a 're-release'.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!
Page created in 0.141 seconds with 81 queries. (Pretty URLs adds 0.038s, 2q)