http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 08:58:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: *gasp* I'm thinking about a 360 over Call of Duty 2...  (Read 1689 times)
DiamondDecision
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: December 04, 2005, 03:45:53 PM »

Good heavens!  I'm thinking about a 360 over everything I've been seeing about Call of Duty 2. It's THAT good looking and playing.  ACK!

Okay people, how is the ingame saving done?  Just as important, how *hard* is it?
mikeg
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2005, 03:55:47 PM »

Killer game.  Have completed it and loved it.  It's as hard as you want to set the difficulty.  You can save anywhere at any time.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2005, 06:37:24 PM »

Quote from: "mikeg"
Killer game.  Have completed it and loved it.  It's as hard as you want to set the difficulty.  You can save anywhere at any time.

?

All the reviews of CoD 2 I've read refer to a checkpoint system vice save anywhere.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2005, 09:09:14 PM »

the save game is all on checkpoints.  Luckily most checkpoints are close together and doesn't make it a big issue.  However, if your computer can handle it, get it on the PC.

1: FPS games are always better on the PC
2: It looks just as good as the xbox 360
3: Mods
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2005, 09:51:19 PM »

Yeah, he's right.  I cornfused it with Quake 4 that I had played recently as well.  My bad.  I would agree that it is better on a PC if you have one that can play it.  I have heard the 360 version is as smooth as butter though.  My pc experienced stutter in 2 to 3 places.  Only one of those was enough to make it unplayable.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2005, 09:56:23 PM »

Good luck finding one.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2005, 11:18:44 PM »

The PC version is great - if MP, and the amount of people who can play online is an issue, I believe the 360 only supports 8 online with a rumored patch to increase it.  Playing on 32 player servers is a great time.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2005, 11:42:15 PM »

I have everything cranked to max on the pc version at LCD 1280x1024 with 4x AA and shadows, and only notice slowdown during some of the smoke and grenade effects.  I'm running it on a p3.2, 2gb ram, geforce 6800gt.  The game looks and plays great.  I've only seen the 360 version demo at the mall, and it looked the same.  I would imagine if you don't have a HDTV that can support 720p or 1080i, you wouldn't be taking full advantage of the 360's horsepower for CoD2.

I haven't had the chance to try a FPS using the 360 controller, so I can't comment on the comparison between mouse+keyboard vs 360 controller.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2005, 11:53:01 PM »

Quote from: "Roguetad"
I have everything cranked to max on the pc version at LCD 1280x1024 with 4x AA and shadows, and only notice slowdown during some of the smoke and grenade effects.  I'm running it on a p3.2, 2gb ram, geforce 6800gt.  The game looks and plays great.  I've only seen the 360 version demo at the mall, and it looked the same.  I would imagine if you don't have a HDTV that can support 720p or 1080i, you wouldn't be taking full advantage of the 360's horsepower for CoD2.

I haven't had the chance to try a FPS using the 360 controller, so I can't comment on the comparison between mouse+keyboard vs 360 controller.

I generally HATE FPS games on consoles, but COD2 really controlls well with the 360 controller. I still like the mouse and keyboard better, but damn if I wasn't really blown away with how well it controled for a console FPS.

As for which looks better...I think we beat that topic to death awhile ago. I guess they look pretty much the same, but the Xbox 360 version, in my opinion, has a better framerate overall.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2005, 01:23:00 AM »

Just finished CoD2 on the 360 today.  Best WW2 shooter I've played yet, and up there with other great FPS games that I've played.  Its not Half Life 2, but pretty good.

I usually prefer shooters on the PC, but CoD2 was a lot cheaper to rent for the 360 then buy.  It was beautiful and smooth all the way through.  I also didn't mind the console controller for a FPS, and I usually do.  Its implemented well on the 360.

If you're computer slows down for smoke effects, it has to be slow a lot, as there is a ton of smoke on the gam, and the smoke grenades are very helpful.  I think the smoke effects make the game really stand out.

Gameplay wise, I can't think of any really bad levels.  Most levels are very good to excellent.  I never had a problem with saves either, the checkpoints are very close together.

I'd never buy the 360 version for $60 though, when you can pick up the PC version for $25.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2005, 04:19:01 PM »

My rig definitely slows down for a second or two the moment I step into a smoke cloud.  When grenades explode and kick-up debris, that also hurts my framerate for a second.  It’s not a showstopper for me, but it’s noticeable.  The game had an optimal setting of 800x600 for my rig, but there’s no way in hell I’m doing that!  Ack.

CoD2 was going to be an Xbox 360 purchase for me, but since I missed the boat on a launch 360, I decided to pick-up the pc version.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2005, 04:23:26 PM »

I'm on my second run into COD2 on Harden Difficulty and I must say it is a different game.  The AI gets smarter and way more aggressive.  Using your squad  helps alot

Smoke Grenade are your friend!

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2005, 04:52:53 PM »

I'd love to play the game on the hardest setting, but I'm just not accurate enough with the gamepad.  This is where the game falls down for me, on the harder settings.  With a mouse, I'm sure I could get through some of the missions on the difficult setting, but otherwise, I get shot up trying to aim with the gamepad.

Its not worth the practice for me to try and aim with the gamepad, such an inaccurate FPS device.  Still, on the default mode, you really are a Rambo like char in CoD2, so the slight aiming problems weren't noticeable.

(pc version) It looks just as good as the xbox 360

I think the 360 version has better smoke effects then the PC version, and the smoke effects are the big reason the game really shines vs other shooters, and WWII shooters in particular.  Otherwise, the PC version and the 360 version look pretty similar I think.  I played the PC demo and 360 version on my monitor, and beyond the smoke differences (which aren't that huge), I couldn't tell them apart graphically.

---
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2005, 04:59:10 PM »

I have a 360 but I prefer this game on PC (if you have an decent system).  The main reason is because of ironsights.  It is a major pain to aim through ironsights using a joystick.  You don't HAVE to use ironsights but I think it helps a lot especially in higher difficulties when you can't empty a whole clip just to hit 1 target.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2005, 06:14:55 PM »

Just curious, are you playing sequentially through each nation’s campaign, or skipping to the other campaigns as they unlock?  I’ve kept going with the Russian campaign, but I can see how keeping the timeline relatively close between campaigns would create a better sense of the overall history of the war.  I believe I’m up to 1943 in the Russian Battle for Stalingrad, and have the 1st British campaign unlocked.  

I’ll have to go back and double check, but I could’ve sworn the temperature Visili recorded in his journal for the train depot mission was something like -44C!  That’s what…-12F??  Holy crap…and they didn’t have goretex back then, only those crappy wool overcoats and cloth mittens.  I guess that’s what the vodka is for.

Edited: because I failed the math for dummies C to F conversion
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2005, 07:06:20 PM »

Holy crap…and they didn’t have goretex back then, only those crappy wool overcoats and cloth mittens. I guess that’s what the vodka is for.

No food, freezing cold temps, Germans trying to kill you, and lack of weapons and ammunition; kind of tough being a Russian soldier in WW2 :shock:

I played through the game as the missions were presented.  That meant all the Russian missions, then some British, followed by a few American missions, then finished with the Americans.  I thought they were roughly in order at that point, with all the Russian missions really occuring first, though I didn't look in depth.

---
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2005, 10:20:12 PM »

The british campaign has been great.  I loved the sense of desperation during the night mission where you get to be an arty forward observer calling fire missions on panzers.  The tank missions have been fun too.  I never thought kicking the crap out of rommel's afrika corps would feel this good.  Great game.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: