http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 06:33:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Xbox 360 and PS3] The Bourne Conspiracy Demo Available...  (Read 1802 times)
PeteRock
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« on: May 07, 2008, 04:19:05 PM »

Team Xbox has an article announcing the demo release.  It became available on May 5 for Xbox Live and will be available on May 8 for PS3.  I haven't had an opportunity to download it just yet, but it certainly is on my radar as I am a big fan of the Bourne books as well as the films. 

Knightshade Dragon has been involved in martial arts for many years and can be rather critical of fighting mechanics in games, but he has said that the hand-to-hand combat in The Bourne Conspiracy is brutal and probably the most realistic he's seen in a game to date.  I'm anxious to download the demo tonight and was wondering if anyone else has had an opportunity to give it a try.

I am worried that the game may not live up to my expectations, but I am definitely very excited for its release and cannot wait to play the demo.  It has been one of my most anticipated games and I believe it is scheduled for release in early June.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 04:35:49 PM »

I'm a huge fan of the movies but seeing as how movie licensed games tend to suck my expectations are in the gutter. It would be a pleasant surprise of the game turns out good, thanks for the heads up on the demo you sexy devil.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 04:37:37 PM »

Wow, its 1.2GB thats pretty big.

Sean Lama
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 04:47:26 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on May 07, 2008, 04:35:49 PM

I'm a huge fan of the movies but seeing as how movie licensed games tend to suck my expectations are in the gutter. It would be a pleasant surprise of the game turns out good, thanks for the heads up on the demo you sexy devil.

Fabulous

I have similar concerns, but because the fight coreographer from the films is involved with the game, as well as Ludlum Entertainment, and screenwriter Tony Gilroy, I can't help but be excited.  The demo features the following:

• A look into how The Bourne Conspiracy combines original missions with memorable film moments to plunge players into the role of both trained Treadstone assassin and a malfunctioning government weapon on the run
  • Brutal hand-to-hand combat choreographed by the films’ fight coordinator and stunt legend Jeff Imada, recreating Bourne’s signature combat style and ability to weaponize everyday objects in his environment
  • Shooting using cover, wallwork, and use of destructible objects to distract and destroy enemies, along with a unique ‘expert kill’ shooting takedown system
  • Seamless movement between hand-to-hand combat and gunplay, combined with unique ‘escape & evade’ game play where Bourne must escape deadly situations, all framed by relentless pace and camera techniques inspired by the cinematography of the films
  • A taste of Bourne-style high speed pursuit, with a re-imagining of the escape from Paris sequence through a thrill-a-minute, arcade-racing inspired police car chase

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 05:13:32 PM »

I played the demo two nights ago and was not inspired to post anything on it.

It wasn't bad, per say.  Some of the fighting felt brutal, but I wouldn't call it realistic, exactly.  Sometimes it was incredibly cool (like the time I threw a guy into a dry-erase marker board and it broke and it wasn't a scripted moment).  Most times it was typical or even a little shoddy (there were a lot of animation jumps, but that could be fixed in time for release, I suppose).  The fighting is definitely the signature of the game.

The driving sure as hell isn't.  It felt very linear and wonky.  The end is driving around in a circle for a few minutes (following the invisible wall arrows and not going down the streets that are blocked off by cars) until a tunnel gets magically cleared of the cars in its opening.  You make a lap, still blocked, another, nothing's changed, another, same, part way through the last lap, the girlfriend says, "Maybe the tunnel's cleared now" and, sure enough, when you get there, where there was a pile of cars, now there's a cleared tunnel.  Then you have to do the dreaded button-pushing sequence to get through.

The button-pushing sequences are all over this game, by the way.  If you hate their recent prevelance in games, you'll be extremely frustrated.

The whole thing felt a little empty to me, somehow.  The characters just seemed hollow.  Bourne himself couldn't look more generic if he had a black and white bag over his head.  Part of the problem with that has to do with this being based only on the book series and not the movies (thus the "Robert Ludlum's" in the title).  However, I'm pretty damned sure Bourne didn't drive a Cooper Mini down stairs in the book.  They seem to be skirting that rights issue pretty flimsily, IMO.  I'd have my lawyers take a look if I were Universal.

Everything could come together in time for the release.  And the fighting can be fun, but I was hoping for a little more, I guess.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 05:59:43 PM »

I guess I'll be giving this a try since I love the movies so much.  Like Ridah my expectations are below ground level for any movie licensed game, so the demo only has to be mediocre to surpass them.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 07:48:18 PM »

i havent sen this on the marketplace,is it U.S. only?

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 01:09:50 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 07, 2008, 05:13:32 PM

The button-pushing sequences are all over this game, by the way.  If you hate their recent prevelance in games, you'll be extremely frustrated.

Ugh.  I hate that shit.  frown 

I'm sure I will try the demo eventually, but hearing that (as well as poor driving and mediocre fighting) doesn't really excite me. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 03:13:26 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on May 08, 2008, 01:09:50 AM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 07, 2008, 05:13:32 PM

Ugh.  I hate that shit.  frown 

I'm sure I will try the demo eventually, but hearing that (as well as poor driving and mediocre fighting) doesn't really excite me. 

Of course, by "prevelance" I mean "prevalence."  Durr.

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 03:25:17 AM »

I was so interested in this game, until I played the demo.  The whole press "A" during the cutscene to activate something turns me off.  But the killer is the shaky cam.  They are trying to mimic the movie,  and it just ruined it.  frown
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2008, 03:55:43 PM »

icon_frown

I downloaded the demo while cooking dinner but never got a chance to play as I was sucked directly into GTA IV, but based on impressions I've read so far it looks like my worst fears are being realized.  I really want this game to be good, but things aren't looking good.  I'm still going to give the demo a try myself, but it's disappointing to hear that so far, not so good.

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2008, 06:09:39 PM »

As much as I loved Shenmue on the Dreamcast, being the originator of the button sequence gameplay is a smudge mark on it's legacy.

Sean Lama
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2008, 06:31:32 PM »

I've DL'd it, but Mass Effect is getting my attention.
tjg_marantz
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2008, 04:59:50 AM »

*shrug* Guess I'm the only one that liked it. But then I'm kinda new to this console business. It's the first time I've encountered the button sequence thing and frankly, it's fine with me. The driving wa sin a circle three times but I don't care, it's only a demo. I'm sure there is more driving in the finished game. The fighting is very well done indeed. I still need to get better at it but again, it's my lack of experience I am sure that is keeping me from doing a bunch of cool stuff. Thank god for his spidey sense(temporary auto-aim). I hate first person shooters on consoles and this gives me enough of a shot at killing the baddies so as to not make it tedious and annoying.

Probably a buy.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2008, 07:23:03 AM »

played it through the first mission, wasn't impressed, deleted it.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2008, 01:36:38 PM »

I played a bit of the demo and it's enough to get me to finish the demo. I like the controls- but hope there are more moves than x y x y y x x.  I'm gonna give the demo a full run through tonight and will probably rent the game...
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2008, 04:52:58 PM »

Quote from: ATB on May 12, 2008, 01:36:38 PM

I played a bit of the demo and it's enough to get me to finish the demo. I like the controls- but hope there are more moves than x y x y y x x.  I'm gonna give the demo a full run through tonight and will probably rent the game...

Me too on all counts-it's a rental, but I was suprised that I enjoyed it.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2008, 09:32:43 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on May 12, 2008, 04:52:58 PM

Quote from: ATB on May 12, 2008, 01:36:38 PM

Me too on all counts-it's a rental, but I was suprised that I enjoyed it.

I'm debating between rental and purchase, if the gameplay is decent enough a good a decent story would make it worthwhile to own for me.

Sean Lama
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2008, 11:21:03 PM »

Probably a buy here as I am a huuuuge fan of the movies.  I also can't get enough of the whole bad-ass super secret agent crap.  Love that. 

Driving part was by far the worst, but if there is not tooooo much of, I will enjoy the game alot.

Haze, on the other hand, I hated and will not touch even for a rental. 

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2008, 02:28:26 PM »

Well I actually really loved the driving.  I only played it once so I didn't notice that it was restricted or had too many invisible walls-I just thought 'Hey, I'm tearing around like Jason Bourne!' 
Unfortunately I hated the quick time events and the camera was awkward.  Several times after a cutscene I ran back into enemy fire from which I had just come from. The fighting felt really basic too.  I suppose I just didn't know the controls well enough but it felt like I was just randomly mashing the circle and triangle buttons and occasionally hitting the X button.  So I will definitely be avoiding this game (it did inspire me to go out and rent the third movie though).
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2008, 02:51:53 PM »

I'm flying out next Thursday to play a near-final copy of the full game from 9:00am to 5:30pm.  I imagine I might have a few impressions from that time. slywink

If you hit me up with your questions about the game, I'll likely score an interview as well. 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2008, 03:03:28 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on May 23, 2008, 02:51:53 PM

I'm flying out next Thursday to play a near-final copy of the full game from 9:00am to 5:30pm.  I imagine I might have a few impressions from that time. slywink

If you hit me up with your questions about the game, I'll likely score an interview as well. 

Ask the dev what they thought when Matt Damon said he wouldn't lend his likeness or voice to the game because he's anti video game violence.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2008, 04:49:30 PM »

Ask the dev what they thought when Matt Damon said he wouldn't lend his likeness or voice to the game because he's anti video game violence.

I heard in an interview that they didn't approach him for his likeness because at the time that they were developing the game Damon had stated that he was done with the Bourne Universe. Sounds silly to me, but that's what they said.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2008, 06:33:24 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on May 23, 2008, 04:49:30 PM

I heard in an interview that they didn't approach him for his likeness because at the time that they were developing the game Damon had stated that he was done with the Bourne Universe. Sounds silly to me, but that's what they said.

I've heard that as well.  I've also heard that they were more free to do whatever they want without his publisher climbing all over them.  I imagine the truth lies somewhere in the middle...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2008, 03:33:25 PM »

Apparently, the awful driving level is still awful in the game, but it only happens once.

That changes things for me, but I'm not sure why the hell they put it in the demo, if it isn't representative of the rest of the game.  Seems like a horrible decision to me, especially since it's the last level, and so it's the impression you leave with.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2008, 01:09:28 AM »

I never got as far as the (awful) driving level.  I thought the fighting just felt really disconnected from my input and deeply dislike the abundance of quick-time events.  This is one that might be more fun to just watch someone else play than to play myself. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2008, 01:22:49 AM »

Quote from: ATB on May 23, 2008, 03:03:28 PM

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on May 23, 2008, 02:51:53 PM

That is false, reason number 2048208243 to not read katoku.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2008, 01:37:47 AM »

Gamespy has posted an early review - 4/5 stars.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: