http://gamingtrend.com
October 31, 2014, 12:23:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (Xbox 360) Splinter Cell Double Agent mulitplayer demo on Marketplace  (Read 2566 times)
The_Man
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 14, 2006, 01:59:09 PM »

Wow, this came out of left field, and on a Saturday of all days.  Weighs in a little over 700 mb.  Downloading now.  I would assume with the extensive list of new games coming in the next 3 weeks, we should be seeing a lot of new demos.
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2006, 02:21:57 PM »

Downloading......  I don't know though, I had some hands on with the game which was discussed in a previous thread, but I didn't really like the single player too much.  Although most of the time I buy the game to play  online with people, I want to have a good single player too.  We will see after the download.

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2006, 02:23:24 PM »

NOOO!! I'm stuck at work!  WOOORK DAMN YOU!!  Sigh...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2006, 02:27:09 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on October 14, 2006, 02:23:24 PM

NOOO!! I'm stuck at work!  WOOORK DAMN YOU!!  Sigh...

+1, but I really don't care about this one (yet-  I successfully fought off the forum effect for Enchant Arms so I'm feeling strong slywink), so it doesn't hurt as much  Tongue

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2006, 02:33:48 PM »

Quote from: papasmurff on October 14, 2006, 02:21:57 PM

Downloading......  I don't know though, I had some hands on with the game which was discussed in a previous thread, but I didn't really like the single player too much.  Although most of the time I buy the game to play  online with people, I want to have a good single player too.  We will see after the download.

I'd definitely be buying this one for the single-player more than multiplayer.  I'd be interested to hear what problems you had with it.  Was it mostly to do with the newer action and daylight elements, or was it just not solid all around?

Sandwiches do fix everything.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2006, 02:48:26 PM »

nah,i wanted a single player demo,as i hate the multiplayer for these kind of games

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2006, 02:55:50 PM »

I tried playing a match and had no clue what I was doing.  I was on the non-spy team and I couldn't see anyone, which I assume was part of the game?  I just kind of ran around.  The graphics looked very nice, though.  I will be getting this one and not for the multi, though if it is good, that is a bonus.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2006, 06:54:28 PM »

I spent twenty minutes trying to play a game and couldn't get in at all.  I was stuck on the joining session screen or the host ended the session or I got inexplicably kicked from the session.  No joy for me.

I really love the series, though, for the single player.  I'm also curious, papasmurf, about what you didn't like.  Can you link to the other thread?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2006, 07:49:04 PM »

Splinter cell-  good graphics !!!!!  really looked clear and had good game play.  I didn't like this because SAM moves slow!!!  You can definitely tell that this is a stealth game.  Controls were fairly standard- again not having much time to mess with them- just way too slow for my taste.  The controls almost seemed really jumpy when you were shooting at a target.  It took a clip to take down one person because of gun recoil.  I would just like to see recoil toned down.  Plus when you move it feels like he is still crouched and walking really slow.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2006, 07:58:42 PM »

I liked the fact that it runs smoothly...

TheMissingLink on PSN
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2006, 08:00:24 PM »

I'm a vet of Splinter Cell MP.  I'll be downloading this soon, and if anyone wants some training in how to play, just send me a message.  I'm Picturtle.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2006, 08:36:32 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on October 14, 2006, 08:00:24 PM

I'm a vet of Splinter Cell MP.  I'll be downloading this soon, and if anyone wants some training in how to play, just send me a message.  I'm Picturtle.

Once again you will have to provide me with your wisdom.  I've played it but I've never been very good at it.  I'm all about the single player. smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2006, 09:20:53 PM »

Quote from: papasmurff on October 14, 2006, 07:49:04 PM

Splinter cell-  good graphics !!!!!  really looked clear and had good game play.  I didn't like this because SAM moves slow!!!  You can definitely tell that this is a stealth game.  Controls were fairly standard- again not having much time to mess with them- just way too slow for my taste.  The controls almost seemed really jumpy when you were shooting at a target.  It took a clip to take down one person because of gun recoil.  I would just like to see recoil toned down.  Plus when you move it feels like he is still crouched and walking really slow.

So have you played any of the other Splinter Cell games?  It's not exactly a fast-action sort of series so I wouldn't expect Quake pace or anything. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2006, 10:16:46 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on October 14, 2006, 09:20:53 PM

Quote from: papasmurff on October 14, 2006, 07:49:04 PM

So have you played any of the other Splinter Cell games?  It's not exactly a fast-action sort of series so I wouldn't expect Quake pace or anything. 

Ah, yes.  I remember this post now.  Titled something like, "Important info that you must read or you will die!" or something, right?

Have you played the previous games?

papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2006, 11:18:04 PM »

Lol, yeah I have played the other games but I have just gotten use to the more run and gun type of games.  I just think that it will take a whole lot of getting use to.  Can we get a group together and play the MP demo or no?

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2006, 04:22:10 AM »

Out of three tries, I was only able to connect to one game, in which the host promptly quit.

Either the servers are getting slammed or my Live connection isn't that great.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2006, 05:40:58 AM »

About getting friends to join...when I actually get into the "lobby" part of a game, it fills up faster than you can get invites out.

And if you are having problems finding a job, try custom match and select the other forces.  Not the spies.  If I select being a spy, it takes forever or won't allow me to join any.  If I select the mercs, I get into a game pretty much instantly every time.

After a few more games of this, it really seems like they nerfed the spies.  Did the other Splinter Cell's have it where it would beep for the mercs if the spies were around?  This sorta kills all suspense...

TheMissingLink on PSN
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2006, 07:03:00 AM »

TML, are you talking about the sound meter for mercs?

In the original, the mercs got a little sound indicator that would give you the loudness and general direction of any sounds that happen around you.  If the sound is strong enough, the merc's hud will beep.  Spies can overcome this by being quiet, and avoiding moves that generate noise.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2006, 07:06:27 AM »

In DA, it doesn't matter what the spy is doing.  If the spy is even around the merc, then it'll beep and your controller will rumble.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2006, 10:07:13 AM »

Chalk me up as someone who likes this a bit better than the sound meter handled it.  The sound meter required way too much work to avoid not making sounds, and sometimes it was impossible not to make sounds in some areas.  If you could read the sound meter, you could pretty much know where all spies were.  All a merc had to do was stand in one spot and listen for the sounds to match and run in guns blazing.

With the presence detector, the range of detection is very small, and the merc doesn't know in which direction you're in.  Plus you can still actually listen to the sounds that enemies make.

There's a lot of changes to the game that while at first are disorienting, I think they're for the better.  One big change is that the maps are a bit more open and play counts increased to 3v3.  Gameplay is more streamlined and dynamic.  No more mines and static defenses to slow the game down, it's just mercs vs the spies.  In PT and CT multiplayer, it would often devolve into war of the gadgets rather than a dynamic battle between spies and mercs.

Spy changes make them much less annoying, and much more difficult to take mercs on head to head.  But on the same note, it's easier for them to escape an encounter with the escape maneuvers and effectiveness of gadgets.  Some changes include:

No ranged stun attack for spies, instead they can use their hacking device to hack enemy mercs, which puts static on the merc's screen, partially disable his flashlight, and disable his vision modes.  It's very disorienting for the merc, but he can still move and attack (I think) and to stop it he just has to move out of the spy's line of sight, or kill the spy.  All the while, the spy can't do anything else other than hack the merc, making this hack attack move of a teamplay element.

Spies have much less health now than before, and a heashot still kills in one shot.

Each spy can have only one gadget.  Not sure if you can throw or launch a gadget, need to experiment.  However, gadgets are no longer locked, you can switch your gadget from a crate in your starting area, including refilling them.

To kill or knock out a merc, you have to get close to him, no more camera gas.  This is dangerous as mercs are now much tougher and agile, and their melee attacks aren't as slow or limited (less cooldown time on the berzerk 360 degree attack).  Also, the spy no longer has a melee attack, so you can't stun a merc by running right up to his face and slapping him like in previous games (where you could slap a merc which made him face you and stumble backwards, right into the hands of your waiting buddy, there was no defense against this for mercs).  You either catch him by surprise, hack him, or escape.  This really puts the emphasis on spies being sneaky instead of taking on mercs directly.

To make up for spies being weaker in all elements of combat, they now have escape maneuvers which are simply hella fun, not to mention fast and very effective.  Also maps in general are made with more open paths.  In previous MP modes, to get into a vent or into an opening in the cieling, you'd have to run up and try to line up your jump so that you grabbed on and then pull yourself up.  Now all you have to do is hit the RB button in range of the vent, open cieling, or open window and you'll do an appropriate maneuver like sliding into a small vent, doing an acrobatic jump straight up and into the vent, or leap through windows, even breaking the glass in the window if there is any.

Also, in general the spy movement is faster, things that were just deathtraps before are worth a shot now.  Like scaling fences for example, previously if you scaled a fence it made a ton of noise, took forever to reach the top, then at the top the spy had a long animation of him going over the top and then climbing down.  In DA, the climbing is quicker, and once you reach the top the spy simply does a somersault over the top and lands on his feel on the other side, not bothing with climbing down.  Climbing up ledges and boxes are also slightly faster, allowing you to evade faster or drop down on a merc.  However, since the mercs get a motion tracker all the time, this can be dangerous.

No more stealth suit or spy bullet.  They were nice, but they don't fit into the more dynamic gameplay of this new game.

I haven't seen if there are any cooperative moves, which were kinda nice, but mostly I found them tedious and dangerous. 

Mercs get some nice changes:

Motion tracking is now part of their default view, so if an enemy moves quickly anywhere in your view he's outlined in white.  Still need to test the range on this, though.  But it means if spies are trying to go gung ho on you, even in dark areas you can see them clear as day to kill them.  No more switching to a nearly useless motion tracking view.  This makes spies want to move slowly at all times even though the sound meter is no longer around.

They can rapel down off walkways to the ground, but not back up.  Meaning spies still have the advantage of vertical movement, but you're no longer SOL if a spy jumps over a railing.  However, mercs no longer get a jump.

The merc flashlight can be adjusted for wide angle flood lighting, or long range spot lighting by pressing up or down on the dpad.  Very nice when moving between outdoors and indoors fighting.

The default merc gadget is the drone.  I'm not sure if in the full version they'll have more, but the drone is quite nice.  Basically it's a remote control drone that you take over, leaving your body standing there.  It can fly to reach inaccessable areas, and is small enough to fit in vents.  It comes with its own short range flashlight.  When you meet a spy with your drone, you can self destruct the drone much like a grenade.  So basically they've folded the mine and camera network into one mobile gadget that you can use to kill a spy that's hiding just out of each.  The drone does have a very limited range, however, and the range is even less when in vents.

No idea if you have multiple gun types though.

As above, mercs get the presence detector, which is a nice little sonar-like device that pings enemy spies if they're anywhere within 10 meters.  There's three range bands and it'll let you know both by icon and frequency of beeping which band the spy is in.  However, unlike the previous sound meter, there's nothing saying which direction the spy is in.  Meaning that you need to move around to get an idea of where a spy is, and not simply read the sound meter to know where the spy is.  I don't think this kills the suspense of hunting down spies.  I think it might actually heighten it a bit.  Much like submarine warfare, the merc doesn't know exactly where the spy is other than that he's in a certain range.  The merc must move around to get an idea of the spy's position, which exposes him to attack, not does the merc know if the spy is above or below.  The merc also doesn't know how many spies there are, unlike the sound meter, which would show different patterns if two different spies were nearby, the presence detector only has one beep.  This makes is easier for two spies to ambush a merc.  However, if there are two mercs in a room communicating with each other, they can look at the map and their relative locations while calling out ranges to target and get a pretty good idea of where the spy is.  I do wish there was a compass in game so you could quickly call out compass directions.

Likewise the spy is in a situation where the merc knows he's there, but the merc doesn't know exactly where.  The spy knows that the merc must search the room, but he doesn't have to worry about some sound meter giving away his location if he moves about.  To attack the merc means getting up close with the merc, and the merc will know that the spy is right on top of him unless you manage to run in and get a perfect grab.  So, they basically took a page from submarine warfare to enhance the stealth based gameplay.  While it may seem like a worse change than the sound meter, I think the sound meter gave away too much information.  The combination of the presence detector and always on motion tracker does more to promote sneaky gameplay.  Not to mention that for spies, it was much too tedious (and thus not fun) to move in such a way as to not make noise on the sound meter.  This would get new players killed over and over, when they couldn't tell how the mercs where detecting them.

Mercs also now have a grenade launcher crosshair to accurately place grenades.  Simply hold down the left trigger instead of just pulling it to launch a grenade.  A series of rings will appear to show you the arc of the grenade, allowing you to accurately place grenades into vents and the like.  No more variable launch speeds.  Grenades and gadgets can be refilled too.  So while it's more difficult to pinpoint spies.

Mercs can sprint!  This'll let you actually move faster than spies for a time and level ground.  However, this also doubles as your charge and bash attack.  So if you hit a wall while sprinting you'll recoil a bit, however if you simply stop sprinting there's really no drawback, unlike previous games where you would slow down after sprinting.  If you hit a spy long the path of your sprint you'll knock him back and flat on his back.  In one game, a merc was able to catch a spy downloading from ledge from behind, he charged the spy and knocked him over the ledge, killing him.

The objective now takes longer to get, and then you must extract it too.  It's a combination of the hacking and extraction objectives from previous games.  However, it's still on a per spy basis.  There are four data terminals from which to download the data from.  But you don't actually need to be at the terminal to download, however it takes a lot more time to get the complete data package.  Then again, you can resume the download from any other terminal until you have a complete package.  So there's a nice dynamic in how you get the information.  Once you have the data, you have to reach the dropoff point.  On the merc side of this, you're no longer screwed if a spy leaves one objective at 99% completed.  So games no longer reach that point of no win situiation.  Since each objective is tracked on a per spy basis (how much they've downloaded) the objective is still to protect the four terminals but also to kill the spies to reset their download meters.  Also, unlike before none of the terminals are locked down after getting data from them, so there's no longer a situation where the spies have to take the last objective at two points right next to each other and heavy defended, nor do the mercs have to contend with defending two nearly complete objectives at opposite ends of the map.

One major problem I see is that the spy and merc models are a bit too similar in silhouette.  They're roughly the same height and build, with the same tight fitting clothing.  Since a lot of the game is played in the dark with high contrast lighitng, some new players will mistake mercs for spies at a distance.

My overall impressions for this new mp mode is great.  It's a bit faster and more dynamic than before, but more importantly it's a lot more accessable with the emphasis taken off gadget play and knowing little tricks, to moving around the map, getting close and personal (or trying not to).

Also, this demo shows only one of the MP modes.  If I recall there's a more team-death match oriented mode where you have both mercs and spies on the same team fighting against an opposite team of the same composition.  There was also word of some spy only modes where you compete or fight with other spies.  Oh, and the demo does include a co-op mode.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2006, 10:48:12 AM by Turtle » Logged
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2006, 10:23:40 AM »

Yeah, I'm getting to learn the game a little better the more I play...and I played once with Turtle (probably sounded like a huuuuge n00b, and I AM!), and I'm liking it better.  I didn't even realize the merc had a sprint button!  So watching those vids really helps...

But dang, talk about a learning curve!

TheMissingLink on PSN
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2006, 10:54:57 AM »

TML, have you played the first two games before?

The problem with the first two games was that they had horrible tutorials, and a whole lot of undocumented features that were both arbitary and unintuitive.  This meant that unless a new player was really studying the game he wouldn't learn all that much from simply playing.  Instead he'd just be killed over and over by people using features that they can't fathom.

In this version, it seems like the features are there in front of you and are simpler in nature.  There's also less things to worry about at the same time.  Before a spy had to worry about mines, spy traps, merc vision modes and sound meter, map hazards, cameras, timing, etc.  A merc had to deal with using the correct vision mode out of 3 different vision modes, spy grabs, spy stun gun, the all important camera smoke, spy slaps, where to place mines, etc.  If you notice those lists have a lot of distractions, but in this version the focus is back on the enemy spy or merc and not on traps or little range tricks the do.

From my experience, the learning curve is much less of a cliff than a manageable slope with a summit that's still a bit high, but still within reach.  Once you learn these basic features and their simpler functions, the tactics behind them are a lot more intuitive and easily learned.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2006, 11:08:32 AM by Turtle » Logged
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2006, 11:03:10 AM »

The multiplayer - no, I have never played a Splinter Cell multiplayer game before.

TheMissingLink on PSN
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2006, 01:05:43 PM »

I agree about the slowwwwwness.  I know I know, it's not a run and gun, but come on.  Just because someone CAN move at a realistic run doesn't mean he has to play through the game that way, but it would be nice to be able to move when you need to.  Always been a gripe of mine.

Also, once you figure out the puzzle to completing a mission there is zero reason to do it again.  Zero single player replay imo. 

Multi in any game has lost all appeal to me anymore.  Too many people just jabbering because they like to hear themselves.  Drives me crazy.  But Coop online through the Single Player is another story.  Absolutely love that.  Wish this series had more of it. 

I am Xboxalot on Live.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2006, 12:03:24 AM »

I NEED MERC HELP!!

Whooped ass as a spy today (there are some NASTY spots to hack some of the terminals), tried stopping the spies as a merc and totally, and utterly, failed. 

Soooo, the EMF view.  I'll go towards a beacon that's being hacked, turn it on, and I should supposed to be able to see the spy hacking the beacon, yes?  Because looking everywhere, I don't see anything.  Talk about frustrating.

And how do I deploy the drone!?

TheMissingLink on PSN
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2006, 04:53:26 AM »

Ooooh, loving it, loving it.

Tried and tried and tried playing with Calvin tonight...until FINALLY it made me the host, so I sent him an invite, and went on kicking people like crazy (because the games really fill up lemme tell ya!) and we had a nice 6 rounds or so.

Okay, I thought the merc's were somewhat underpowered...pssh, no way, I was able to see both merc AND spy domination tonight.  A group of merc's who properly use communication, use the drone (Left bumper) and the EMF view (can't go running around in this view, watch for a while, let it all sink in) can run the spies outta town.  Man, totally digging this game.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2006, 07:23:18 AM »

Just so you know, the closer a spy is to the terminal the faster his meter fills up.  So, you can get a good idea of how far away a spy is by looking at how quickly his download meter is filling up.  Likewise, as a spy, if you want to complete a download quickly, walk right up to the terminal and get downloading.

And yeah, the EMF vision doesn't work while moving, you have to stand still and let the haze clear before you can see anything.  After the EMF meter fills up, you can still move around slowly.  Once the haze clears the spy should show up bright as day.  If you still have trouble, simply stand right next to the terminal and turn on EMF and look around.  Use your sniper scope to look at any bright spots in that view.  You should at least be able to see the spy's head.  I very much like how the merc no longer has to worry about spies sneaking up behind them to grab while looking for a hidden hacker since his presence detector lets him know if he's in trouble.

I've been getting pretty good at killing as a spy.  I switch up spy roles now and then, either doing the hacking, or running interference on friendly hack attempts.  I'll usually set myself where mercs entering the room will only get a distant ping on their presence detectors, they'll think it's the spy that's hacking and run towards the terminal.  By then he's picked up the presence of my friend, and I can hack him while he's distracted, then run up and grab him while he has no presence detector.

Remember that unlike the sound meter from previous games, the presence detector can't discern between more than one spy.  So when a merc goes into an area, he'll only see one ping even if there are 2-3 spies around him.  So use teamwork.

By the way, you cannot deploy the drone with your back against a wall as the drone deploys right behind you, or you can crouch instead with your back against a wall and the drone will deploy above you.  This effectively leaves you open to some sort of attack while you use the drone, something which I've exploited quite a bit to kill mercs.  Often, when I run interference, I have teammate run into a nearby vent as the mercs bust into the room, he'll hide down there in a spot where he can't be shot or hit with grenades.  I keep an eye on the mercs from my vantage point, and they're usually too busy trying to pinpoint where my teammate is in the vent that they don't notice or look for me.  Eventually one of them will figure out that he's in the vents and start using his drone, that's when I let my teammate know to back up, and I zip out of my position and either break the merc's neck, or knock him out if he's crouched.

If you knock out a merc, take the time to hack his electronics if no one else is around.  It'll leave him without his presence detector for a bit and that could give a teammate more time to hack, a means to escape more easily, or enough of an edge to kill him.

One big thing I like about this new version is how the two sides relate to one other.  In previous games due to the way things worked, it was scarier to play the spy than it was to play the mercs.  Experienced spies would smack mercs around like playthings.  Now, the merc players can be more confident when simply moving around since his presence detector let's him know when spies are around.  Then spies are encouraged to sneak or be acrobatic by the removal of their close combat abilities, and the addition of a nice new set of escape maneuvers that don't require accuracy or timing to quickly get into vents, through windows, or through holes in the cieling.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 07:31:00 AM by Turtle » Logged
depward

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2006, 07:44:45 PM »

This game seems like a shartload full of fun.  I could see it being quite engaging with some GTers playing.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2006, 09:26:04 PM »

It is very, very good. I will almost definately pick this up. MP and COOP with TML/Dep/GTers and whats sure to be engaging SP...yeah, good purchase.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2006, 10:47:40 PM »

You know I'm a lock for Splinter Cell.  I'm totally in on the 360.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2006, 02:39:02 AM »

I'm having all sorts of problems with the demo. 

First off, the people who are attempting to play it are utter morons.  Not like newbs, I have no problem with that.  No, I'm pissed off that it takes six or seven tries to get a host who fucking a.) knows he's the host, b.) is actually there to begin the game, c.) doesn't immediately leave when I connect, killing the session, and d.) isn't lagging to high hell.

Second off is the demo itself.  It worries me how buggy this thing is -- there are long spurts of nasty lag, plus bizarre problems like doors refusing to open, or, my favorite, getting stuck in an infinite loop of falling when you use the grapple hook as a merc.  In short, you grapple down to the ground, but when your feet touch, you snap back up into the place you started the grapple from.  You can walk around, fire your weapon, use your gadgets and all, but you're just merrily bouncing around the world, completely invulnerable to any sort of damage.  All kinds of fucked up.

Overall, it's been a very frustrating experience.  The gameplay seems to be intriguing, but actually experiencing it is quite problematic.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2006, 03:09:52 PM »

Yeah, some people are retarded online, but you're gonna get it...

Calvin and me tried for about 30 minutes to randomly find each other online and I finally was the host of a match and invited him - we played about 6 beautiful games where we'd switch sides with the opposing team each time, Calvin and I would use communication very well and I experienced ZERO glitches.  I've never experienced any glitch that you mentioned, LE (and I'm not a fanboy of this game, I'd admit it).

I'm going to make this MY MP GAME to play and pretty much dedicate myself to getting good at the game.  Because I know there'll be tourneys and whatnot and I actually want to compete.  I'm that excited from my experience with the demo.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2006, 03:22:55 PM »

The only problems I've encountered with limited gameplay are the ones getting into the game.  That was insanely frustrating and almost put me off even trying.  And a big one that happened to someone on my team where he got stuck and couldn't move or fire or anything.  He was begging for one of us to kill him.  Finally, I found him.  He wasn't stuck on anything (no wall or step or desk...just open floor), but he sure wasn't moving.  I double tapped him in the head.  Very shortly after that we heard, "Guys...it happened again.  Kill me."  I would call that a sizeable bug.  However, I did enjoy the experience, apart from that.  This game even felt a little more newbie friendly than past Splinter Cell MP games.  Not exactly pick up and play, but it doesn't have a super steep learning curve.  That said, I don't think it'll take long for experts like TML learning a lot of little secrets of the maps and gameplay and stomping over those of us who are trying to figure out why suddenly the camera is at our feet and we can't move when we pushed the left shoulder button (I do know it's the drone, by the way, but I'm still not sure how valuable it is).  Luckily, SC games are mostly about single player for me, anyway.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2006, 08:32:44 PM »

I am torn.  I really want SC and mostly for the single player.  However, I would like to try the multiplayer, but I only actually got into a game one time out of the tons of times I tried.  I hated the fact that I had ot exit completely out of the demo in order to cancel trying to connect.  Hopefully all that is fixed in the actual game.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: