http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 03:50:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Xbox 360] Saints Row demo on the Marketplace!  (Read 1455 times)
Dimmona
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 01, 2006, 04:48:03 PM »

Well, what are you waiting for?  Go, go, go!

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 05:30:25 PM »

Whew, and to think I almost bought the Xbox Magazine yesterday just to give this game a try.  My restraint just paid for my SFII tomorrow!
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 06:51:37 PM »

Quote from: "wonderpug"
Whew, and to think I almost bought the Xbox Magazine yesterday just to give this game a try.  My restraint just paid for my SFII tomorrow!

I'm not sure what to take from this, either XLA games ar too cheap or OXM is way too expensive. I think it is the latter. I'm thinking my OXM subscription is going to lapse and they have demos on live to thank.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 10:57:22 PM »

Meh, it's just GTA and I have had quite enough of GTA.  I really am tired of the free-form gangster game.  Give me free-form, but make it interesting, like Mercenaries.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 10:57:34 PM »

the game was a lot better than i thought it was gonna be,graphics are nice,blatant rip off from GTA mind,but still good,graphics were also better than i first thought(saw magazine pictures)...although my character when running looks as though he has shat himself

the town is bordered of by a (not very) invisible red border,i hope this isnt there in the full game

cut scenes are good as well,some of the controller buttons were in abit of a wierd place(i,now am used to the accelerator being the trigger...its the A button here)

i'll give the demo 8/10...may even pick this up....or at least add it to the list

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 11:14:50 PM »

Quote from: "metallicorphan"

the town is bordered of by a (not very) invisible red border,i hope this isnt there in the full game

If you get close enough to the border, you can see that the word "demo" is written on it (I think. Or did I just imagine that?).

IMO, the game seems to be an exact Grand Theft Auto clone without the cleverness (by that, I mean cursing for cursing's sake, etc.).
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 12:32:46 AM »

Quote from: "Ralph-Wiggum"
Quote from: "metallicorphan"

If you get close enough to the border, you can see that the word "demo" is written on it (I think. Or did I just imagine that?).

IMO, the game seems to be an exact Grand Theft Auto clone without the cleverness (by that, I mean cursing for cursing's sake, etc.).

No, you didn't imagine the demo word. It does that.

And overall, yes, the game is pretty much like GTA except with a whole lot more killing of people and the fun of bouncing civilians off the hood of your 'borrowed' car. smile

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2006, 01:05:39 AM »

I haven't played a GTA game since GTA3, and much of it was because I couldn't stand the graphics. This'll be perfect.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2006, 02:49:18 AM »

And there's word that the Dead Rising demo will be up soon too.

So, GTA clone with Gangstas or GTA clone with zombies...

I go with zombies.  Tongue
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2006, 06:04:21 AM »

How's the "homies" feature?

I dont have Live soI may pick up OXM just to get the demo disc for this game alone, I've seen some videos of it in action and it looks incredible.. just look GTA, only much better.

One video I saw in particular was a guy fleeing police who kept coming at him 2 cars at a time and he kept slaughtering them. This must have gone on at least 10 minutes and the cops never came in full force, and came out of nowhere 2 cars at a time, got killed, and more came in never ending loops.
In GTA San Andreas, while I could usually outrun the cops for a good while, when we were on foot shooting it out, they'd always get me sooner than later.
I hope the law enforcement AI I saw in that video isn't something we can expect in the full version.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2006, 01:34:03 PM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"
I dont have Live soI may pick up OXM just to get the demo disc for this game alone, I've seen some videos of it in action and it looks incredible.. just look GTA, only much better.

If you don't mind potentially waiting a while, PM me your address and I can send you the demo disc when I think to stop and buy a mailer for it. $8 for OXM just for the demo is a little silly.

the "homies" feature isn't really something I was checking out in particular in the demo, but in the one mission where I was forced to take people with me, they seemed fairly helpful. They certainly sprayed lead all over the place from the car windows once we were engaged. The one problem I had when we were on foot is it seems I can jump and they can't. They followed me into a little gutter and couldn't get back out. Ooops.

I'd have to try to piss off the cops more to get a feel for escalation there. I'd hope it would escalate eventually, once you start killing cops, SWAT should be en route.  :twisted:

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2006, 02:33:25 PM »

Played it last night and I really liked it.  I grew tired of GTA after Vice City, too.  Maybe I just needed a break or something.  I liked grabbing a convertible when I had two homies with me and seeing then shooting as I drove around a parking lot trying to run over rival gang members.  Very cool.  It just went from meh to purchase.  Downloadable demos is a brilliant idea.  Scratch that, the whole concept and more importantly execution of Live is brilliant.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2006, 04:44:07 PM »

Wasn't too bad.  Not sure I'm sold on buying the game.  I have much the same problem with it that I do with the GTA's: I can't play a 'bad guy' for very long in games.  I do like the freedom to wander at random and do whatever strikes your fancy.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2006, 04:46:00 PM »

Quote from: "Jancelot"
Downloadable demos is a brilliant idea.  Scratch that, the whole concept and more importantly execution of Live is brilliant.

Agreed on all counts. Especially if, *gasp*, they release the demo BEFORE the game comes out!

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2006, 07:35:59 PM »

Does the demo have an MP mode?  I know the full game does.

I have a year subscription to Live, so I've been trying out all the online games for the 360.
phormio
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2006, 05:25:34 AM »

Demo was a lot of fun (surprisingly so for me), but there's not much here you haven't seen B4.

Graphics are great (compared), but ammo seems a little scarce..., or maybe I'm just a lousy shot.

I'm not "sold", but I'm more interested than I thought I'd be.

"My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them." --Mitch Hedberg
Kratz
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2006, 09:28:32 PM »

Man, I thought this one of the *the* worst demos I've played on my 360.

The gangsta crap in GTA:SA was annoying, but this is so far over the top...  anyone see today's PA on this subject?  I think they nailed it.

Surprised people are so positive about it here.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2006, 10:27:36 PM »

I tried it out as well, and like it overall. It is a graphically upgraded GTA so if that isn't your cup of tea, then you probably won't like this.

The traffic "seems" to follow the correct traffic patterns (blikers, stopping for lights and such) which is one of the "features" promoted. However, if you happen to "borrow" a patrol car, traffic does not pull over for you. I also did not see much in the way of other emergency vehicles (ambulance, fire truck, etc..)

The variety of cars is ok though, and I suspect more in the full game.

As for escalation, I didn't see any really. Just the same 2 cars at a time thing. I did this for a while, at least 20 minutes, maybe more. I really liked the escalation in GTA and only hope that this is a demo limitation.

Another thing that I hope for is that either the game is fully open from the beginning, or it has some sort GTA type bridge closing, where they are at least plausible, rather then the existing Red Barrier.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: