http://gamingtrend.com
November 01, 2014, 12:01:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (Xbox 360) Mech SRPG from Atlus- Zoids Assault  (Read 2616 times)
Dante Rising
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 17, 2008, 05:00:13 AM »

Has anyone heard any negative or positive buzz about Zoids:Assault? It looks like a distant relative to Ring of Red or Front Mission. The screenshots and media make me hopeful. The game is due out in the first week of September.

http://www.atlus.com/zoids/

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 06:12:02 AM »

Zoids as in the old Zoid toys from the 80's?  Holy flashback!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 12:39:17 PM »

saw this when i was looking through my gamefly queue last night.  i put it in line but haven't had time to look into it.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 12:48:08 PM »

it looks very much like front mission and ring of red.  all of the mechs are 4 legged lion-esque machines.  check the gallery here.  we'll see. if it turns out anything like fm3, i could have a lot of fun with this.

so, this is tied to an obscure 80's toy line?  bizarre.

now, where's my transformers rpg?

official site has info about the units and what you expect regarding weapons and such.  ally support attacks are possible and also play into rare equipment drops.  basically, your scan of an enemy increases your accuracy and damage and is based on the number of your units with LoS. 

other comparisons to fm3 are present (pilot class and experience, weapons restricted to pilot class and vary in power/weight by zoid type)  nothing about unit customization though beyond weapon installation.  also, according to one of the posters on atlus' site, it may be a short game ~14 missions of not epic length.  achievement list is very sparse and does the "few achievements with big score values" thing ala fight night round 3.  not much to go on.

from what i have seen, i'll probably like this but may not end up buying it.  a rental may be just enough to play through it.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 01:07:32 PM by Caine » Logged

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 12:57:08 PM »

Quote from: Caine on July 17, 2008, 12:48:08 PM

It could never get made; since the characters in the latest (Bay) iteration had no personality and were supporting role at best, it would be like getting into a sandbox with your pail and shovel only to discover there is no sand, just a giant picture of sand at the bottom. icon_twisted

On the topic of Zoids, I think that'd be keen. I think we should also have a GoBots game, and maybe a My Pet Monster one too. Tongue

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 01:10:33 PM »

Quote from: Purge on July 17, 2008, 12:57:08 PM

It could never get made; since the characters in the latest (Bay) iteration had no personality and were supporting role at best, it would be like getting into a sandbox with your pail and shovel only to discover there is no sand, just a giant picture of sand at the bottom. icon_twisted

just imagine how the medic class would play out.

"hey xxxxx, we have a wounded transformer here"

<broken scrap heap of what looks like a car lies at your feet>

"sorry optimus, there's nothing i can do with this.  he's dead."

<0 xp gained>

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 01:14:27 PM »

Quote from: Caine on July 17, 2008, 01:10:33 PM

<0 xp gained>
<new items gained: [1]plasma rifle, [1]air freshener, [3] spinning hubcap, (yet another)[12]Chevrolet insignias, [1]Bay Bobblehead doll>

FTFY.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 01:17:02 PM »

That got me wondering; is Energon a renewable resource? Is it a green energy, or is it like burning coal and oil?

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 01:27:48 PM »

Quote from: Purge on July 17, 2008, 01:17:02 PM

That got me wondering; is Energon a renewable resource? Is it a green energy, or is it like burning coal and oil?

dunno, but it comes in a battery cool enough to kick the energizer bunny's ass. 

Quote from: Purge on July 17, 2008, 01:14:27 PM

Quote from: Caine on July 17, 2008, 01:10:33 PM

<0 xp gained>
<new items gained: [1]plasma rifle, [1]air freshener, [3] spinning hubcap, (yet another)[12]Chevrolet insignias, [1]Bay Bobblehead doll>

<big explosion in the background for no reason whatsoever, but it's big as fuck and makes the screen go white.  noone is hurt.>

now it's a bay production.
FTFY.

QP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 01:37:24 PM »

I want a Chromehounds sequel..with the rough edges rounded off.

-QP
Currently Playing:
[PC]Oblivion Again (OOO this time)
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 01:44:58 PM »

Quote from: QP on July 17, 2008, 01:37:24 PM

Agreed, I think I put more hours into Chromehounds than any other 360 game.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 02:00:13 PM »

Never heard of it before, but the trailer looks very cool.  Horrible name though, even if it is tied to an obscure toy line.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 02:07:49 PM »

Looks cool, but honestly mech games are so hit or miss for some reason.  Will probably have to take a wait and see approach.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2008, 02:53:33 PM »

And a storyline for the single player campaign. (as opposed to a giant training mission. Tongue)

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2008, 03:14:00 PM »

Quote from: Purge on July 17, 2008, 02:53:33 PM

And a storyline for the single player campaign. (as opposed to a giant training mission. Tongue)

and better balancing for the War so you don't miss one day and have to go through a dozen 'The War has Ended!' messages.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2008, 03:38:40 PM »

It's not really based ont he 80's toy line, it's based on the TV show that came out 5-10 years ago that was based very loosely on the 80's toy line.  They changed pretty much everything except the modular aspects and the name for the TV show.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2008, 08:17:09 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on July 17, 2008, 02:00:13 PM

Never heard of it before, but the trailer looks very cool.  Horrible name though, even if it is tied to an obscure toy line.

I'm hoping the game turns out to be good. I could use another mech fix.

And yeah, I agree with you that the name "Zoids" doesn't invoke a very high coolness factor. Same with the name "Wanzers" from Front Mission. What in the hell is wrong with the name just calling them mechs?

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2008, 01:38:29 PM »

Well, so much for that idea:

4.5/10 from Gamespot
C from 1UP (which is likely an F from anyone else)
3/10 from Gamecritics

On a side note, WTF Atlus?  You used to be the bastion of quirky but fun Japanese games that we might never see in NA otherwise.  Now you're content to throw shovelware after shovelware at us for a full $60 price tag?  What gives?

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2008, 01:52:06 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on September 11, 2008, 01:38:29 PM

You used to be the bastion of quirky but fun Japanese games that we might never see in NA otherwise.  Now you're content to throw shovelware after shovelware at us for a full $60 price tag?  What gives?

Honestly I think 'Quirky but fun Japanese Game' and 'Shovelware' have grown to become one in the same. At least on the 360.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2008, 10:39:30 PM »

Picked this up last night, played the first... 5 missions I think.  Which is one of the drawbacks, I got the 20% completed achievement after the 3rd mission.  Seems like it will be short.  The story is forgettable, the cutscenes go on and I either skip or read during them.

I like the actual gameplay.  I do wish that there was more customizability to the zoids.  So far you get to change skills, 1 weapon, armor, and the paint scheme.  The paint schemes can have actual stat effects, although I haven't noticed them being particularly big so far.

The scan mechanic that controls whether or not your in range friends follow your attack, or counter-attack enemies is pretty nice.  basically the better scan you have of an opponent the more follow on attacks can occur, to a max of 3.  The various skills you have can make a difference as well.

The mission variety so far has been pretty much zilch.  Take your 5 zoids, destroy all the enemies, destroy the reinforcements that show up, collect your xp and items.  This might change later, but so far the only real variety has been whether you get to start everyone together or spread out.

The AI is pretty poor at combining attacks, at least so far.  Once or twice I have been very close to losing a unit, only to have the next enemy decide to attack one of my virtually undamaged units instead.  Since combining your attacks is a core component of the game, this is unfortunate.

I'm hoping there is some kind of new game+ or harder difficulty that unlocks after you finish the story-line.

All in all, unless you are a really big Zoids fan, and turn-based strategy fan, I wouldn't pick this up for full price. That said I expect to get a fair amount of enjoyment out of the game before I trade it in on something else in a week or so.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2008, 04:36:15 AM »

I just got my review copy in.  I will let you guys know once I have played it for a bit.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2008, 06:18:33 PM »

Just wanted to update:

I got a chance to play the game for 2 hours yesterday. It is even worse than the reviewer's would have you believe. I have no idea what Atlus was thinking with this title.

Horrible on just about every level, and I tend to go easy on games...Stay far away from this one, even as a budget title.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2008, 01:53:55 AM »

Quote from: Graham on September 12, 2008, 04:36:15 AM

I just got my review copy in.  I will let you guys know once I have played it for a bit.

Damn, I'm sorry.  I got the last crappy Atlus game, and it was painful.

xvzinjvx
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2008, 12:26:31 AM »

Quote from: Purge on July 17, 2008, 12:57:08 PM

On the topic of Zoids, I think that'd be keen. I think we should also have a GoBots game, and maybe a My Pet Monster one too. Tongue

Actually....there is a Transformers RPG game based on the G1 universe. Just not in the form factor you expect it to be.

And without further adieu http://www.glu.com/global/transformers/Pages/default.aspx

There is a demo on the site you can try out. Unfortunately, it doesn't support "my form factor".
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: