http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 02:35:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [xbox 360] Finally got to play with one today!  (Read 3568 times)
Lockdown
Gaming Trend Senior Member

LD

View Profile
« on: November 08, 2005, 07:55:43 PM »

So I walk into my local EB and my buddy at the store just got finished setting it up and logging his data in.

Let me tell you what I think after my whopping 15 minutes with it:

1) I watched the demo disc thingie of pgr3, nba2k6, ghost recon.  I actually got to PLAY Call of Duty 2.  (It is the exact same demo as the PC version, btw).

2) I love the new controller.  I thought I would not, as I thought the xbox controller was the best ever.  This one is better, flat out.

3) I can tell you without question (and I have a very nice PC with a very good videocard, and an awesome monitor) that the xbox360 version of this game looked monumentally better than the pc version.  Not 'somewhat' better... monumentally better.  And the 3 guys watching me play agreed, so I'm not alone.

Ummm... I guess that's it.  I didn't really explore all the screens, as I knew my time was limited and just wanted to watch the PGR3 movie and play the CoD2 demo really.  So, I was not all that excited about the release coming up, but once you actually put that controller in your hand, everything kind of changes.

Devil - I can not wait to try some PGR3 with you man!  I need to get my ass out there and pick up my new tv pronto.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 08:04:34 PM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"

3) I can tell you without question (and I have a very nice PC with a very good videocard, and an awesome monitor) that the xbox360 version of this game looked monumentally better than the pc version.  Not 'somewhat' better... monumentally better.  And the 3 guys watching me play agreed, so I'm not alone.

Gotta disagree.  CoD 2 on the 360 looked pretty much exactly  like it did on my PC.  I didn't see anything better about it.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2005, 08:12:23 PM »

Well, your opinion is certainly as valid as anyone else's, including mine, but I don't think it was even close.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2005, 08:17:54 PM »

3) I can tell you without question (and I have a very nice PC with a very good videocard, and an awesome monitor)

Exact specs.  We need exact specs.

And the 3 guys watching me play agreed, so I'm not alone

Appeal to popularity.  Ignored. smile

Haven't had a chance to see one yet myself. Maybe I'll check my Walmart this weekend.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2005, 08:22:30 PM »

I’m looking forward to trying out the 360 controller.  I’ve always hated the xbox controller.  The engineer who decided to go with 2 shoulder buttons supplemented with 2 very tiny white and black buttons was definitely not a gamer.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2005, 08:55:33 PM »

I'll add in with the "I don't see much diffrence" opinion. Maybe there's a diffrence if people are playing the PC version of CoD 2 with an older DX8 card or  maybe older/crappy monitor or something else but on my rig it looks pretty much the same to me too.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2005, 09:02:31 PM »

I can tell you without question (and I have a very nice PC with a very good videocard, and an awesome monitor) that the xbox360 version of this game looked monumentally better than the pc version.

If you are running the demo at a high resolution with filtering on your PC, I just can't see the 360 version looking better.  You were looking at the same game at a lower resolution as a good PC.

What probably is different, is the monitor.  The Samsung LCD screens that most of the demo units are shipping with it seems, are very good, and very vibrant.  The demo screen I saw was 23 or 26", and appeared to have the color saturation up a bit.  Comparing that to an older monitor, or smaller LCD at home, you probably were impressed more with the TV then game.

The Kameo demo really impressed me when I saw it on the 360 at the mall here, but a lot of it was the fact the TV showed the vibrant colors very well.

I really want that Samsung tv now smile.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2005, 09:09:40 PM »

All I can tell you is what I saw.  But whatever, to each his own.  And Scott's point about the monitor could very well have something to do with it I suppose. The screen they were using wasn't even an HD screen.  It was some sort of really nice LCD screen.  I don't know, maybe all the setups are the same, but it did make me realize that on a great tv, this system is probably going to flat rock.

Regarding the new controller... it feels a bit smaller and "thinner" if that makes any sense.  And the top button layout with the triggers and the "shoulder buttons" seem to be a pretty natural fit to my hands.  

The white/black button fiasco should be a thing of the past, which is great news.

LD

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2005, 09:23:28 PM »

The screen they were using wasn't even an HD screen.  It was some sort of really nice LCD screen.

Isn't MS contracted with Samsung to use HD LCD screens on all of their demo units?  Pretty sure all of the demo units are using HDTVs though there have been reports that some retailers haven't enabled HD modes in the 360 setup.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2005, 09:57:33 PM »

The screen they were using wasn't even an HD screen.

To Kevin's point, I think all the screen's are Samsung, and probably the same model.  

I think they are the smaller version of this:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-DTLv4oBfp3k/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=146350&I=305LNR2668

So that means the TVs should be displaying in native 720p if the boxes are setup right, and they probably are in EB.

The game may have looked better Lockdown, I don't mean to not believe you.  I haven't seen the CoD2 demo.  Kameo looked great, but then to me, some of that had to do with the slick TV and great colors it produced.

I can't get CoD2 running at my LCDs resolution with full detail though, so it'd be harder for me to judge, especially if the game wasn't fluid on my PC.

---
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2005, 10:11:49 PM »

Question about the controllers:

How do the sticks feel? Do the have the same tension as the S controllers? I've never seen a 3rd party one that had the same firmness. Including the overrated Logitech wireless ones.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2005, 10:25:34 PM »

I got to play one the other day as well.  I don't like the controller as much as the original Xbox one.  The 360 version of CoD2 runs better on the 360 than my computer.  It LOOKS the same, but it runs a little smoother.

I played Kameo and wasn't really impressed.  Rolled around on some ramps and it didn't feel like real fun physics, that's all.

TheMissingLink on PSN
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2005, 10:41:45 PM »

I played with one at EBgames about a week ago. And, gotta admit, the games looked very sweet on the HDTV monitor attached to the unit. I played about 15 minutes of Kameo, and it got my seal of approval. But, I won't be picking a 360 up until I get a HDTV... Me thinks this is a console better enjoyed on the new generation of televisions.
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2005, 11:54:35 PM »

I saw a 360 twice (EB and BB). Didn't play but for 10 sec on CoD. I really liked the effect when you got shot with bullets. Kind of a b/w blur slomo thing. Cool. But they had the sticks mapped backwards! I mean, who pushes up for look down?? slywink

Anyway, I concur with the brightness of the Samsungs. At both places, the brightness really stood out. At EB, I watched someone play the King Kong demo. Looked pretty good.

Unfortunately, I'd played both demos on my middle of the road PC at home, and though the 360s were butter smooth, the fact that I'd seen those demos before kind of ruined it for me. Now, had I seen them without my previous experiences, I would've been blown away.

CoD did look really nice, though, without slowdown.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2005, 12:05:00 AM »

IN!

Rule #2 of GT: Nothing looks or plays better than a PC.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2005, 12:06:17 AM »

Well, your opinion is certainly as valid as anyone else's, including mine, but I don't think it was even close.

I agree 100%.  I have a pretty nice pc and I'll have to admit that after seeing Call of Duty, I think we finally have console whose graphics surpass those of a high end pc.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2005, 12:42:33 AM »

Then in the next few months after the console is released the PC will come out with something better that'll eventually become the norm for PCs.

Honestly guys, this argument has been done to death.  Let's all agree here and now that comparing consoles to PCs and that whole stupid argument is just pointless.

If you like the system, like the games on it, then play it.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2005, 01:18:28 AM »

Regarding the HD part of the monitor - I was just repeating what the guy told me who set it up.  So perhaps he didn't enable it yet.  I don't know why he would lie about that.

About the controller sticks - I don't remember how the tension was, but I do remember they felt great, so I suppose that's a personal thing, but they were fine by me.  

I will admit my outlook on the 360 was at the highest a 7/10.  So maybe that lukewarm attitude was just blown away by what I saw.  I was not nearly as impressed by the NBA2k6 movie I watched as I was with the CoD2 demo.  That demo just floored me.  I wasn't expecting ANYTHING like that, even on a nextgen system.  I can't tell you how amazing it looked to me.

LD

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2005, 01:20:38 AM »

Best Buy had the 360 on display with CoD2 running it when I was in tonight.  I think I agree with you Lockdown, CoD2 did look better on the 360 then the PC.  The smoke effects looked a bunch a better, and there was something else as well, maybe bump mapping, or some other fancy effect that I don't know the name of.  Anyway, it made the CoD2 demo on the 360 better then anything my PC could.

What's cool about the 360 is a lot more fancy effects will be used on it, then the PC, where developers hold back some to support older video cards.   F.E.A.R may be the most advanced game on the PC, and it seems like it is one of the few PC games that use some of the 360's advanced graphics features, at the moment.

I still love that LCD TV!

---
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2005, 01:15:39 AM »

I played it today, Controller is so far the best ever. So comfortable. It's like they took the best from all the controllers and made an awesome controller.

Games were so so. I HATE the plasticy wet look a lot of these "next gen" games tend to have. I just don't like it. Overall I didn't play anything special on any of the demos. So here's to waiting for the good games.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2005, 04:36:05 AM »

I finally got to play demos at my local EB; however they had it on an old small Samsung CRT which didn't seem high definition to me...

The controller was ok; I'm used to the original huge XBox controller so this size was a change; I don't think this will be a huge adjustment.

Only played a little Kameo and CoD2.  Neither blew me away graphically, though both looked nice enough; I think that the visual was moreso because of the TV than anything else though.

Still looking forward to putting one into my entertainment center!!

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2005, 09:30:57 AM »

Quote from: "The_Man"

I agree 100%.  I have a pretty nice pc and I'll have to admit that after seeing Call of Duty, I think we finally have console whose graphics surpass those of a high end pc.

After seeing the COD2 demo running on an FX57 and Dual 7800GT's in high res with full AA and AF, I have to say this is so not true.

The PC tech to make games look as good as or better than the 360 games is all there, it's just that it's all way way way more expensive.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2005, 01:31:53 PM »

After seeing the COD2 demo running on an FX57 and Dual 7800GT's in high res with full AA and AF, I have to say this is so not true.

You could buy 3 360's for the cost of those components, let alone the rest of the system around that!  

I think most 360 games will look better for a while though, as developers will be using all of the graphics abilities of the 360, while few developers use the advanced features still on PC games.  The big PC games don't use many effects, like WoW.  The EA games on the PC don't use any of the fancy effects either.   I decided recently to not upgrade my computer, as there just weren't many PC games that'd take advantage of it coming out in the near future.

---
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2005, 04:00:30 PM »

Quote from: "Scott"
If you are running the demo at a high resolution with filtering on your PC, I just can't see the 360 version looking better.  You were looking at the same game at a lower resolution as a good PC.

1024x768 (786432 pixels) < 1280x720 (921600 pixels) <1280x1024(1310720)

Thing is, FSAA on the 720p. Widescreen, more "usable viewing" area. games are WAY more horizontal than they are vertical.

What probably is different, is the monitor.  The Samsung LCD screens that most of the demo units are shipping with it seems, are very good, and very vibrant.  The demo screen I saw was 23 or 26", and appeared to have the color saturation up a bit.  Comparing that to an older monitor, or smaller LCD at home, you probably were impressed more with the TV then game.

The Kameo demo really impressed me when I saw it on the 360 at the mall here, but a lot of it was the fact the TV showed the vibrant colors very well.

And frankly, sitting on a couch looking at a vibrant big-screen TV is much more appealing than peering into a monitor. I have a gorgeous Sony XBR HDTV (widescreen) and a 2405FPW (24" 16:9 HD monitor with component ins). I'll be enjoying it on either, but bang for the buck, a PC costs more than the X360.

I have a 2.8C Intel P4HT, 1gb RAM, 450GB storage (SATA Seagate 250 + 160 + Raptor 34GB ), Audigy 2 and a 9800Pro. I was thinking of upgrading; getting a video card that costs as much as the x360 does NOT appeal, on top of a new mainboard and CPU.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2005, 10:46:34 PM »

Quote from: "Purge"

Thing is, FSAA on the 720p. Widescreen, more "usable viewing" area. games are WAY more horizontal than they are vertical.

And frankly, sitting on a couch looking at a vibrant big-screen TV is much more appealing than peering into a monitor. I have a gorgeous Sony XBR HDTV (widescreen) and a 2405FPW (24" 16:9 HD monitor with component ins). I'll be enjoying it on either, but bang for the buck, a PC costs more than the X360.

I have a 2.8C Intel P4HT, 1gb RAM, 450GB storage (SATA Seagate 250 + 160 + Raptor 34GB ), Audigy 2 and a 9800Pro. I was thinking of upgrading; getting a video card that costs as much as the x360 does NOT appeal, on top of a new mainboard and CPU.

Your system is similar to mine, and your last sentence sums up some of my feelings I love my pc. I love playing games on it. I love shooters, rts's, and a lot more on the PC. I want my rig to run those games very well, but damn is it hard for me to buy a new video card to do that when I can just get an entier new console.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2005, 01:04:55 AM »

I got to play one at Gamestop today.  The controller feels light but feels good in the hands.  I played a bit of Kameo, which looked nice.  I may pick this one up if I don't E-Bay the 360.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2005, 02:59:04 AM »

Quote from: "CeeKay"
I got to play one at Gamestop today.  The controller feels light but feels good in the hands.  I played a bit of Kameo, which looked nice.  I may pick this one up if I don't E-Bay the 360.

How come I am the only person that cannot find one anywhere near me? WHY LORD WHY??
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2005, 04:31:00 AM »

Quote from: "Calvin"

How come I am the only person that cannot find one anywhere near me? WHY LORD WHY??

You're in Maryland, right?

GameStop #2596
Charles Village
2436B Charles St.
Baltimore MD, 21218 US
(410)366-9054

That's my local one  Tongue

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2005, 05:31:04 AM »

Quote from: "Calvin"

You're in Maryland, right?

GameStop #2596
Charles Village
2436B Charles St.
Baltimore MD, 21218 US
(410)366-9054

That's my local one  Tongue

My friend, that is an hour drive with good traffic, not to mention its in BoMo. Why any sane person would ever go to BoMo is beyond me, especially since I had to be there for 3 years of school. Oh my god do I hate that city and its suburbs. Still, thanks for the effort. If you know of any around Rockville/Bethesda let me know, and feel free to give me a shout if you come down this way.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2005, 01:13:22 PM »

Check your local Best Buy'ss, word is they have all gotten thier demo units up.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2005, 01:41:06 PM »

Most gamers I imaigne are running far higher then 1024x768 these days.  I usually run games at 1680x1050, which my LCD does natively.  Most games I can still run this way on my 9800pro.  CoD2 ran okay, not great though.  But usually I prefer higher resolution to FSAA.

But to your second point, I agree.  I was going to build another computer, and decided not to, or even to get a more expensive video card.  Its just not worth it, when the 360 is so powerful now.  And looking at future PC games, they are coming out at at trickle, at least the good ones, compared to consoles, and most of the good PC games don't demand the higher resolutions anyway.

---
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2005, 02:06:03 PM »

Yeah, I hear you all.  I have run into some serious cash flow issues, so I have to make drastic gaming changes.   So, no new pc, no having all three consoles.  I have to pick one system and run with it for this entire next gen time.  My intention at this time is to get a 360 and then only rent game with one of those monthly rental deals and not buy ANY games til they hit $19.99 bins.  Period.  No exceptions.  In that way, besides my initial outlay for the system, I am only out $20 a month roughly.  

On top of that my pick up finally bit the dust this morning and now I don't even have a car to drive and I can't afford another.  

And all of this at the pinnacle of a time to be a gamer.  Great!

Go ahead, say it------whaaaaa

I am Xboxalot on Live.
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2005, 04:25:18 PM »

Ok, I hit a local Worst Buy an played a little more. I watched someone play around with the KK demo which did look great. It was definitly running in Hi-Def.

So I loaded the COD2 demo and... I stick to my original impression. Jaggies from hell. I really don't think they are doing the FSAA in that demo. The game looks the same as my XPS laptop, but with jaggies.

But on the other side of the coin, KK did look sweet (graphics, not game play). Can't wait for PGR  drool

LiveTAG: happydog
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2005, 04:49:45 PM »

Most gamers I imaigne are running far higher then 1024x768 these days.  I usually run games at 1680x1050, which my LCD does natively.  Most games I can still run this way on my 9800pro.  CoD2 ran okay, not great though.  But usually I prefer higher resolution to FSAA.

360 (and PS3) upscales to 1080i which is equivalent to 1920x1080.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2006, 04:04:00 AM »

I finally got to play an xbox 360 today at my fiance's sisters house.  I got to play Ghost Recon and man t hat game is all kinds of cool.

However, I don't think I'll buy an 360, there wasnt much differene than what my computer can handle.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: