http://gamingtrend.com
July 26, 2014, 01:16:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [xbox] Unreal Championship 2 - Free content downloads out  (Read 2303 times)
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: June 21, 2005, 06:53:11 PM »

For the three people here playing Unreal Championship 2, there are 14 individual downloads available on Xbox live.  

They are...

Playable Characters:
Syzygy
Kraag
Jackhammer
Apophis
Merc Anubis
Lilith
Calypso
Necris Selket
Garek
Judas

Maps:
Evil Hands
Monoxide
Ascenscion (OD -- for Overdose matches)
Sever

The game also dropped down to $30 recently.  Now's the time to give it a go!
adamsappel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005, 08:16:46 PM »

All the content is 4 blocks each, so it was on the disk to begin with.   :x

Xbox Live Gamertag: adamsappel
dandylife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2005, 09:12:55 PM »

Quote from: "adamsappel"
All the content is 4 blocks each, so it was on the disk to begin with.   :x

Cheap.

U2K Tha Greate$t on the New Orleans flooding: "The issues that happen in NO, is well you aint blind, you know how satan do things, not only that, but did you ever think why the water couldnt go now where?"
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2005, 09:43:16 PM »

The new characters are playable versions of some of the bot characters, how is that cheap?

Also, this is the first of at least two download packs.  You'll get over it. smile
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2005, 10:04:16 PM »

Where is it $30 already?

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2005, 11:03:03 PM »

Sorry about that.  I saw it at $30 a few weeks ago at EBgames but it must have been a temporary drop.  I couldn't find it at that price online.
dandylife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2005, 05:40:27 AM »

Quote from: "Driver"
The new characters are playable versions of some of the bot characters, how is that cheap?

Also, this is the first of at least two download packs.  You'll get over it. smile

All of this content was included with the game.  Epic just withheld it from the retail release so they could unlock it one or two months down the road to make players think they're downloading all sorts of free goodies from the 'net.

You're right, though.  It's not cheap; it's deceptive.

Even still, it's nice to finally be able to play the dormant content on my UC2 disk.

U2K Tha Greate$t on the New Orleans flooding: "The issues that happen in NO, is well you aint blind, you know how satan do things, not only that, but did you ever think why the water couldnt go now where?"
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2005, 05:54:59 AM »

Quote from: "dandylife"

All of this content was included with the game.  Epic just withheld it from the retail release so they could unlock it one or two months down the road to make players think they're downloading all sorts of free goodies from the 'net.

Even still, it's nice to finally be able to play the dormant content on my UC2 disk.

WHIIIINE. This has been SOP for most live games for a while. Its not "deceptive" its not screwing you, although dormant is a good word for it. Whatever they include, unlocked, is the game they ship and the game you paid for, period. Whatever else they choose to stash away on that disk is their business unless you are clever enough to find it and unlock it, and then more power to you.
dandylife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2005, 06:27:42 AM »

Quote from: "Rage"
Quote from: "dandylife"

WHIIIINE.

:roll:

Do alot of Live games really do this?  Wolfenstein is the only other game I know of.  I think a big deal was made of the "unlocking" when it was first made available.

Whatever else they choose to stash away on that disk is their business unless you are clever enough to find it and unlock it, and then more power to you.

It's still irritating.  Why withhold part of the game just to convince buyers that they're getting something more down the road?  Can't you just make some more levels after release (expensive, I know), or, hell, withhold some of the levels you've already made and make them available for download at a later date?  And SOL if you're without Live!  Yah, the levels are on this disc, but, no, you can't have them.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2005, 06:32:46 AM »

I was under the impression, perhaps erroneously, that there were many many games that did this. I thought that Mechassault 2 had some of these, some of the Splinter Cell games had unlockables already on disc, I think there were some Crimson Skies maps, definately some multiplayer maps for a few of the FPSs. I mean, maybe not as common as I stated, but certainly not isolated.
Sterling
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2005, 05:59:06 PM »

The Crimson Skies downloads were fairly large, dunno about the others.

It's pretty deceptive to me, and especially unfair for folks who don't have Live.
dandylife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2005, 07:02:16 PM »

I either own or have rented the following Live! games w/ content download:

KotoR
Mechassault
Crimson Skies
Halo 2
Ninja Gaiden
Star Wars: Battlefront
Phantom Dust
Unreal Championship 2

Out of these, only Unreal Championship 2 has used content unlocking instead of content download.  Content unlocking may be common with Live! games, but it likely isn't prevalent among the most mainstream ones.  This page list download size for some game content, if anyone wants to really do the math.

Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2005, 03:38:18 AM »

Price drop: $29.99

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/244405.asp
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2005, 04:24:59 AM »