http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 04:07:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Xbox] Phantom Dust - Now with a few demo impressions  (Read 3006 times)
gwartok
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: March 05, 2005, 05:14:29 PM »

The US version of this should be out next week and is only $20. This is isn't usually my cup of tea but I'm hearing some good things about it and i'm in the mood for something different so I'm thinking I might give it a try. A review of the imported japanese version got a  pretty solid score from IGN and supported both Japanese and English. It's probably a long shot but has anyone played it?
Devil
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2005, 07:51:08 PM »

IN!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2005, 07:57:04 PM »

Linky with description of game?
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2005, 10:11:43 PM »

Sounds interesting.  I'll give it a try for $20.

Now playing: Suikoden 2 [PSX], Neverwinter Nights 2 [PC]
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2005, 10:33:48 PM »

eb and gamestop both have it not coming out til 3/15.  So, it looks like week after next.  I already have it preordered.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
gwartok
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2005, 08:53:40 PM »

I'll post this in the bargain bin too but gamestop is offering a $20 rebate on this today only. The $20 is a gamespot coupon but since I wanted this anyway and I plan on pre-ordering Jade Empire soon I figure this pretty much makes Phantom Dust a freebie.  Cool
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2005, 09:00:54 PM »

EXTRA IN!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2005, 09:36:04 PM »

I don't even have an xbox and I want to buy this. Free game are always good, plus it even got a good review at IGN 8.5 i think.

Ascendent
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2005, 10:17:17 PM »

IN! Thanks for the heads up.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2005, 12:38:02 AM »

ditto,

thanks, gwartok!  my order is in, but will you come to my house and make me do the rebate? please?

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2005, 05:15:31 AM »

I have no idea what it's about or if it's any good, but free is free smile
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2005, 05:36:58 AM »

Quote from: "Laner"
I have no idea what it's about or if it's any good, but free is free smile
Same here, I didnt even look at it, just figured "well, its basically free, and with free shipping, how bad can this really be? No loss for me."
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2005, 08:10:28 AM »

Thanks for the tip. I was going to preorder the game at the store tomorrow, but free is much better smile

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
adamsappel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2005, 01:41:04 PM »

The game isn't really free. You get a rebate coupon good towards a future purchase. Your next $20 game, now that is free.

Xbox Live Gamertag: adamsappel
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2005, 01:47:27 PM »

Linky with description of game?

I may be hitting the obvious here...but uh...

http://consolegold.com/GameInfo/game/2896.html

:twisted:

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
gwartok
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2005, 02:29:21 AM »

It turns out there's a hidden demo of this on the Dec 04 OXM disc so I have some impressions to share. Unfortunately they're kind of limited as the demo is in japanese so I had to navigate it by guesswork and don't have any idea what the hell was said. Fortunately once I got started the tutorial mission highlighted the buttons you needed to push and where you needed to go well enough that I could figure out the basics and play a few missions.

I didn't do any card management but based on the battles I'd say that portion of the IGN review of the import is spot-on. They're fast paced and the environment is destructable for the most part. During one of the missions I was battling in the atrium of an old building. My target was standing beneath the 2nd floor walkway when I fired a fireball at him that missed and hit the walkway support column next to him. The column disintegrated and a 30 foot section of so of concrete walkway came crashing down on his head :twisted: I was also able to do some jump attack that sent me in the air for a few seconds and left a decent size crater in the ground when I came crashing down. Unfortunately I haven't been able to land that one on an actually opponent yet.

Anyway, so far I think this is looking like a winner. The battles were a lot of fun and it looks great. The card management is still an if but as long as it allows you to customize your toon without horrific balancing issues it'll pass. If it adds some depth like the review says and makes you think a little bit even better. I'm glad I pre-ordered, I think this would have been a steal for $20, throw in the $20 coupon on my next game and it's a no brainer.
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2005, 04:54:28 AM »

I have that demo disc.  How do I get to the hidden demo?

Now playing: Suikoden 2 [PSX], Neverwinter Nights 2 [PC]
gwartok
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2005, 02:41:45 PM »

Hold down the left trigger and press:

A, Up, X, Y, Left, Right, B, B, Down, Down, Y, Left, X, Right, A, Up, Down
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2005, 06:38:58 PM »

Cool, sounds like its worth it to spend all that money on it slywink.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2005, 04:54:27 AM »

You know, after looking at the videos and reading the previews for this one my interest is piqued, but I have a feeling I am either going to love this one or hate it.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2005, 05:01:41 PM »

I was in EB Games today (off of work today, yay for me) and they got two copies of this in.  Not surpisingly, the game dude had no clue what the game was, didn't know it was coming in, and had never even heard of it.

Normally, I would definately try this, but the gameplay looks rather hectic to me.  I watched a video of it on IGN and it looks like a lot of running around to me.  I must say though, the multiplayer modes over Live look damn interesting.

If a bunch of you end up getting this and loving it, let me know.

Not to mention I just HAD to pick up Silent Hunter III - which should keep me busy for quite some time and get me away from MVP05, which has been my addiction as of late.  He only got ONE copy of SH3 in, thank God I got there early!

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2005, 04:43:07 AM »

I've played it for about two hours.  It starts off with what seems like a half-hour long movie that I was half tempted to skip through.  But then you get into the underground base, where you run around 'meeting' the characters.  The first eight to ten missions are essentially a tutorial, as far as I can tell.  But that's allright because there seems to be a lot to learn.

Graphically, the game is very impressive.  Stuff collapses on top of you, your weapons look great, and the environments are pretty cool looking, though I hope there's more than the four or so I've seen so far  Your weapons or spells are really well done visually - especially the close-range attacks - and it's pretty cool to time your defense moves to match the range and type of attack.  There are some neat effects to be seen here.

The gameplay isn't nearly as complex as I feared it would be - you just grab the skill bubbles and try to balance between your set.  Since you start out with so few options it's easier to learn the tricks of each, but really it is hard to read the info box while avoiding being shot at.  So while there are tricks to learning the balance of the game, the actual play is pretty easy.  

Japanese games almost always seem to beat American ones for storyline and complex characters, and Phantom Dust is no different: despite the mini-series at the beginning of the game, the story as it's unfolding now is interesting with obviously some twists coming ahead.

Dust is well worth twenty bucks - it's definitely got that great Japanese feel to the game (Like Phantom Crash did, for example) without being cartoony or cute or overly dramatic.  The single player game may get repetitive, but with 300 skills to obtain, the boredom will likely come from the environments.  

As far as a collectable card game thing, you have crazy control over your accumulated skills and can customize your loadout before going into an online match.  I'm already scared to go online to see how good others might be, and that customization is the part that scares me the most, but what the hell, right?  

Also, there is a downloadable Skills upgrade available, which I'd read allows for new skill bubbles (or whatever they're called).  You're awarded the skills for online wins - so you still have to invest the time in the game to get good, and to earn the rewards.  I like that idea since it doesn't seem to ruin the gameplay for anyone and lets folks who spend the time have some neat tricks to show off.  Just like a genuine CCG.

I'm really looking forward to playing this one more, but now I've got to get some sleep.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2005, 06:17:43 AM »

My "free" copy has shipped from Gamestop, but since I chose value shipping, it's probably going to be a while before I actually play it slywink

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2005, 06:50:58 PM »

Any early adopters interested in getting online tonight to gather some impressions for the site?
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2005, 02:23:46 AM »

I just picked it up today after hearing some good reviews.  I will probably be online Sunday evening after getting up to speed with the game tonight.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2005, 02:35:17 PM »

I have not played much of the single player, but I have played with a buddy online a tad and this is an amazing little game.  So many skills to figure out that it's mindbloggling.  The only problem being so far is that there are only 3 maps and of the 5 or 6 online game types we can only choose one of them.  Not sure why, but maybe because we have not played much through the single player and our characters are too weak or something.  Not sure about that, but with only 3 levels it kind of gets boring after an hour each session.  Hope something comes along that unlocks everything without having to beat the entire game or something.

Graphics for the spells are extremely nice to behold and the destructable environments are a blast as well.   Well worth the money.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
gwartok
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2005, 06:59:31 PM »

I believe there is 8 maps or so but you have to play the single player campaign to unlock them and most of the skills.

I'll be on around 10 est tonight if anyone wants to play. My live tag is gwartok.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: