http://gamingtrend.com
November 24, 2014, 12:24:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [xbox] Got KOTOR, now what??  (Read 2278 times)
lildrgn
Gaming Trend Senior Member

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« on: October 12, 2004, 03:48:04 AM »

I just got back from Circuit City and came home with two copies of PGR2 ($16.99!) and, not planning on it, KOTOR for $9.99(!!). I figured for $9.99, I couldn't go wrong, SW fan or not.

Trouble is, I'm not a SW fan at all. Nor am I an RPG fan. I've tried, but could never get into the RPG scene.

So, basically, I got it because it was a great deal. What now? Do I open it and find myself bored? Or do I return it? Or put it up for sale/trade?

Then again, under $50 for 2 awesome games (3, really. One's for my bro's new Xbox).

KOTOR people, help a newbie out.

disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2004, 04:10:58 AM »

i say open it up and give it a shot.  it really is a great game...you might be surprised.  if it doesn't work out, you can still trade/sell it away Cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2004, 04:26:14 AM »

You must play KOTOR, it is a fantastic RPG-and dont listen to a word of the bullshit that Ebonstone will come spewing in here about the game. He is one of a tiny minority that dont like the game-give it a try.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2004, 06:42:33 AM »

lol @ Rage.

He's right though - even if you hate RPGs, KOTOR may be the game that changes your mind.  One thing to remember is that like a lot of story heavy RPGs KOTOR starts out a little bit slow, but once you're off the first planet the game takes off and never looks back.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2004, 06:46:15 AM »

It does indeed start out really slow, and I guess I'm in the minority with Ebonstone because I didn't care for it much at all.  Then again, I never got off the first planet.

TheMissingLink on PSN
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2004, 09:55:43 AM »

One of the greatest games EVAR!

If you don't like it, you're obviously loco en la cabeza!
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2004, 12:26:53 PM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
It does indeed start out really slow, and I guess I'm in the minority with Ebonstone because I didn't care for it much at all.  Then again, I never got off the first planet.

And that would be a problem. your character advancement moves a lot quicker once you can *ACTUALLY* be a Jedi. :roll:

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2004, 12:38:56 PM »

The story is great and the characters are interesting - even without the Star Wars part, this would be a great RPG.
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2004, 01:23:08 PM »

$9.99????  Why I outta... I got it this weekend from EB for $17.99.  My roomate got the chance to play it last nigth adn said it was pretty good so on the recommendation I say give it a whirl, I'll let you know my take tomorrow after I get in a few hours...

EP
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2004, 05:45:57 PM »

KOTOR is one of the best RPGs I have ever played.  Right up there with BG2, Fallout and Wasteland.

I am not a Star Wars guy.  I liked the first three movies and all, but the last two have sucked and the franchise/universe does nothing for me.  I am more of a sword and sorcery type than a sci-fi.  Even so, KOTOR rocks.

I am a huge RPG guy though, PC style RPGs to be specific.

So if you are not into scifi/starwars AND not into RPGs...I dont see much of a chance that you will like it.  Still, for $10, save it for a rainy day.

olaf
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2004, 06:38:25 PM »

At $10, I'll pick this up even if I never play... (man is this habit getting expensive...)

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2004, 06:49:47 PM »

So let's get this straight... you don't like RPGs and you don't like Star Wars but you bought KOTOR?

Uh, I guess you can try it out.  Be warned--the combat is god-awful, quite possibly the worst I've seen in an RPG to date.  The story is... awful too, come to think of it.  You'll be predicting the ending perfectly after a few hours.

Actually, I take that 'try it out' notion back.  Try returning it at a different store and see if you can get $20 of credit for the $10 you paid.  

KOTOR is just a terrible game, return it while you still can.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2004, 07:08:07 PM »

You can safely ignore Lord Ebonstone.  KOTOR is a great game at five times that price, and for $10 it's an absolute steal.  It's the first game I've played in a *long* time that kept me riveted until the end... you know, one of those where you ignored all the other crap you needed to do (like sleep, work, eat, etc.) just to finish *one more quest*
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2004, 09:22:15 PM »

KOTOR is great.  I'd play it and if you don't like it, trade it in or sell it on eBay.  After all, it only cost you 10 bucks.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2004, 09:58:37 PM »

I thought KOTOR was a great game.  I do love Star Wars and I am fond of a good RPS here and there as well.  Sounds like it may not be your type of game though.  For $10.00, you can afford to open and try it though.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2004, 10:11:34 PM »

KOTOR is universally regarded as one of the best games ever released, PC and xbox both.  I've certainly enjoyed it.

Even if you don't like it, or decide not to open it,  it would make a nice gift for someone.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2004, 11:14:05 PM »

I'll admit I'm in the minority when it comes to disliking KOTOR.  That being said, if you play it and don't like it, don't let it turn you off to CRPGs as a whole.  KOTOR plays much more like a PC RPG, (actually, it plays like a Neverwinter Nights mod), than any other CRPG I've seen to date.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
KC

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2004, 01:14:34 AM »

One piece of advice, don't read any other forum threads other than this one so that you don't accidentally read any spoilers.  Also, don't read any previews for KOTOR 2 because a few of them have spoilers too.

Enough said.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: