http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 09:52:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [XBOX] Call of Cthulhu -- Let the Bethesda bashing begin!  (Read 5958 times)
mytocles
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2005, 01:38:33 AM »

Ha! Told you all my sig was for real, lol... Um, nice avatar, Purge - and here I thought LE changed his.:oops:

On topic - lemme look, can't remember what it was - oh, okay.  Nope,not me, never gonna bash Bethesda (well, much, and purely out of angst!)  I don't know a publisher from a developer, I'm just a console end-user, and as long as their name is anywhere on anything that starts with "The Elder Scrolls" - well, then I'm IN!  :wink:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2005, 01:49:29 AM »

Quote from: "mytocles"
Ha! Told you all my sig was for real, lol... Um, nice avatar, Purge - and here I thought LE changed his.:oops:

I pointed that out because it's my hand holding an E3 tchotchke. biggrin

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2005, 02:39:07 AM »

Um, more impressions please?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2005, 04:00:34 AM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
Um, more impressions please?

OK, here's my Ed Sullivan:

'Get reddy for a rilly big shoe....'

My Derek Smart:

'You didn't buy my game!  I'm suing!'

My Jack Thompson:

'duh, i'm a really big doofus.  dur, oh, a giraffe!  let's sodomize it!'

My Clark Gable:

'Frankly Morton, I don't give a damn!  Rushmore sucked, and those damned Yankees suck too!'

Tongue

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2005, 04:16:48 AM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
Quote from: "mytocles"

I pointed that out because it's my hand holding an E3 tchotchke. biggrin

I knew that avatar was familiar somehow. Now I know why. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2005, 04:00:25 PM »

I finally got a chance to load this up last night (I wanted to finish Stubbs first, not to mention try Civ 4) and so far it looks a lot more like an 8 than a 4. The best thing I can say about Call of Cthulu is that it immediately brought to mind an old favorite:

(To anyone who played that game, I bet that comment just sold you on Cthulu, right?) biggrin

I make that comparison because of the mix of first-person perspective, haunted house exploration, adventure game elements, and the fact that you play an insane detective, not a gun-toting badass. Too many games follow the third person Resident Evil survival horror formula which I got sick of a long time ago. But this is a refreshing change of pace and the first-person perspective makes all the difference.

And of course the Sanity effects are reminiscent of another classic, Eternal Darkness. That game was heavily inspired by Lovecraft but this is even better because it's actually based on Lovecraft. They incorporate actual plot elements and locations and quotes from the author's work. (Which I've never read.)

Please note my thumbs up vote is only tentative because I really haven't played enough to judge it yet. I've only played the prologue and watched the story setup that leads you to the sinister coastal village of Innsmouth.

This prologue segment starts in 1922 with you locked away in the Arkham Asylum. Then the story goes Six Years Earlier to establish the backstory in a level that has you called in to investigate a creepy old house where a sinister cult has taken up residence and reports of gunfire have alerted the authorities. When you get inside and start looking around, you make all kinds of ghastly discoveries, not the least of which is that they've been watching and *expecting* you for a long, long time. <gulp> "WHY ME?!"

The graphics look decent/good but the atmosphere and cut scene style are both excellent. Not quite as good as Mafia but close, and kind of similar to that game with the very-welcome period setting. For me, it just takes one look at a police officer in an old-timey uniform to drive home how freakin sick to death I am of pseudo-sci-fi futuristic experiments gone awry.

Control is smooth and responsive. The inventory screen looks more PC than Resident Evil (THANK GOD!) The sanity effects have only begun to surface. When I encountered particularly intense or gruesome discoveries, I'd get a heart-racing/rumble effect and a spacey motion blur. There are no health meters or anything else on the screen which I like. One annoyance is that there are 4 difficulty levels but only Easy and Normal are available at the start. I never replay games so I hate when they do this cheap difficulty unlockable.

I'll play some more tonight (definitely a dark and gloomy game best played at night) and report back with more complete impressions of the gameplay. Like I said, these are very early impressions. I don't even have a weapon yet. But it's worth noting that I love that the game has you playing for 30 minutes or so before you even get a weapon. Hopefully the combat and weapons will have a nice feel and the adventure elements will stay intriguing. More soon.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2005, 10:20:13 PM »

Quote from: "rrmorton"
When you get inside and start looking around, you make all kinds of ghastly discoveries, not the least of which is that they've been watching and *expecting* you for a long, long time. <gulp> "WHY ME?!"

I think that sounds like a great hook right there!

Looking forward to hearing more of your impressions.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2005, 12:23:25 AM »

(To anyone who played that game, I bet that comment just sold you on Cthulu, right?) biggrin

damn you Rob, damn you to hell!  Tongue  I loved that game, and now I must buy Cthulu.  Is there anything else you'd like to waste my money on?

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2005, 12:37:05 AM »

It is WBS's hand right there. smile He had some barcode thing on his wrist, but I had to crop it to fit.

smile as to Cthulhu, sounds awesome. I'll hold off for now, hopefully newer games will play on my 360.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2005, 01:31:22 AM »

Quote from: "CeeKay"

damn you Rob, damn you to hell!  Tongue  I loved that game, and now I must buy Cthulu.  Is there anything else you'd like to waste my money on?

Well, proceed at your own risk. Like I said, I haven't played enough to really endorse it. I'll give it some more time later tonight and report back.
-----------
Morning edit: I lied. I ended up working last night rather than gaming. Hopefully I'll play some tonight.
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2005, 02:20:20 PM »

Few days late, but here's a cross post of my impressions that I posted on OO:

I played for about 2 and a half hours last night and I agree with the others... great game so far! According to the stats I'm 24% done which would put a first time through the game at perhaps around 10 hours, but that could be off depending on some of the later puzzles. So 1/4 of the game is done and I haven't gotten a weapon yet. I have a feeling they intentionally setup the story like a Lovecarft novel in that regard. Start slow, lots of investigating, creepy happenings, and slowly the real horror becomes clear and must be fought.

The game is absolutely great at immersing you completely in whats going on. The main screen you play in always is in first person, and never switches except for your visions. All cutscenes and conversations are from your point of view.

One thing worth mentioning is the damage system. If you get shot or otherwise injured you'll see blood splatter on your screen, the color will slowly drain out of the world, and depending on where you were hit you will lose some movement ability. If the wound is serious you have two options: You can quickly dose yourself with morphine which will restore you, more or less to working condition, but repeatedly using morphine over a short time can cause a large hit to your sanity. If you are free of danger and injured it's time to break out the first aid kit! In your menu screen you can select yourself. This brings up a zoomed in view on the main character and lets you view damage on all parts of your body. Light injuries require just a bandage, deep cuts need to be suchered, broken bones must be set, and poison must be counteracted. As you go through the game you pick up medikits and refill your stocks, but you have only a limited supply of each of the healing agents. Basically a detailed damage system that reminds you that you are extremely mortal.  

The sanity system is also well done. You know you are starting to feel your sanity slip away when you start getting motion blur. Then you will start feeling your heart beating in the controller vibration. After more exposure you can lapse into deeper forms of madness. Also suddenly being exposed to horrific things can cause a sudden large loss of sanity that can take a little bit to recover from. Sanity can be lost simply by looking at horrible scenes. In a number of parts you are exposed to scenes of death and if you look away your sanity will slowly start to recover, but if you sit and look at the crime scene you can feel your sanity slowly slip away.

One of the really interesting things is that your character starts having visions not too long after you reach Innsmouth. They use these to great effect to give you hints and just generally creep you out. One particularly good cut:
I was walking down a hallway, and towards the end I could see a couple windows and a man looking out. Suddenly the game jumps to a vision. I can hear heavy breathing and growling and it looks as though I'm sitting on the rooftops. Then I started moving and jumped into the air. Just as I jumped I could see two windows, one of them with a man looking out. Once I jumped back into my body I looked out the window and saw... something... jumping to the ground. Nicely done.  

The story so far is pretty much just bits of greater or lesser amounts taken from a number of Lovecraft stories. I haven't read all his works, but so far I can recognize Shadow Over Innsmouth, Shadow out of Time, and Call of Cthulhu to name just a few. If you've read all his works you might find a lot of the game familiar, but so far that hasn't detracted from the game one bit for me.

If I had anything to complain about... it'd be nice if there were a quest log. Your character keeps a diary, but it doesn't get updated after every plot point, only after major ones. Sometimes I find myself missing something someone tells me, and the game really lacks a way to remind you where you should be heading. Immersive maybe, but a little annoying. Also no automapping or anything, so you are definitely on your own on this one.  

So far though, none of the puzzles have been too tough. Usually if I get stuck it's because I missed a hallway or alleyway and I find wandering around can usually put me back on the right track. Once the action begins I've found I usually have to give them a couple tries before I can manage to get through. I might also mention that the first real action scenes are a really intense chase scene. I had to try it a couple times to figure out how to get past, but very fun.

Tragic that I will probably put this on hold since Civ4 is out, but this is defintely one I want to see through to the end.

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2005, 04:41:35 AM »

I picked this up today and have been having fun so far.  I am stuck on the first major action sequence (the one Sepiche mentioned), which is getting kind of annoying but it's really well done and keeps the tension up.  Of course they would have to make you play a PI that doesn't carry a gun.

The first time I broke out the first aid was in the middle of the chase, and I didn't realize you had to stop and break out the kit  :oops:  :lol:

Alsa, as I sit here typing this with the main menu up and running on the TV, I have noticed the game starts saying stuff if you wait long enough.

Because I can,
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2005, 04:14:57 AM »

Apparently the Bethesda bashing was mostly uncalled for and far too easily handed out. Golf Clap for LE.

Normally tough Eurogamer gives it an 8.0

Normally tough Gamespot gives it an 8.3

Anyways, I am going to see if Kathode can score me a copy. My curiosity has been officially piqued.
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2005, 03:43:09 PM »

I still haven't had time to play it again because the plastic brace on the side of my headphones broke. They're almost two years old so I was certain they wouldn't be covered under warranty anymore but much to their credit, Bose said they they would replace them free of charge. I guess that kind of breakage has lifetime coverage.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to playing some more Call of Cthulu when my new headphones arrive in the mail, but for now it's Civilization 4.
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2005, 03:00:22 AM »

Any updates on how anyone liked this game? Is it good the whole way through?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2005, 03:50:50 AM »

I haven't touched it in about a week and a half, but only because I picked up a bunch of other games (Advent Rising, X-Men Legends 2, The Punisher) at the same time and I've been playing through those, although I did make it past the first chase scene finally.

Because I can,
kire321
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2005, 04:33:33 PM »

Quote from: "kathode"
Obviously this is one of those cases where the game just needed a little more time in the oven....

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAA
Sorry, couldn't hold it in.  

Anyway, two good reviews (I heard official Xbox UK gave it 8/10 as well), one bad review.  Oh no!  Let the Bethesda bashing begin!! :lol:

Don't you work for Beth? On Oblivion?

I work for the Redundancy Department of Redundancy.

This statement is a lie.

I think we're arguing... What do you think?
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2005, 09:40:11 PM »

Quote from: "kire321"
Quote from: "kathode"
Obviously this is one of those cases where the game just needed a little more time in the oven....

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAA
Sorry, couldn't hold it in.  

Anyway, two good reviews (I heard official Xbox UK gave it 8/10 as well), one bad review.  Oh no!  Let the Bethesda bashing begin!! :lol:

Don't you work for Beth? On Oblivion?

And your point is?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: