http://gamingtrend.com
August 29, 2014, 08:33:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [XBOX] Call of Cthulhu -- Let the Bethesda bashing begin!  (Read 6109 times)
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED
Gaming Trend Senior Member

get naked

View Profile WWW
« on: October 25, 2005, 05:31:30 AM »

Bethesda Softworks, aka, the company-that-doesn't-publish-anything-good-except-for-massively-huge-RPGs-and-even-those-are-steadily-getting-worse, has continued in its long tradition of releasing shitty games that aren't a direct sequel to The Elder Scrolls 1: Arena.

That's right, fellow Lovecraftian fanatics.  Bethesda dropped the ball on our beloved Cthulhu.  Apparently bigtime.

The first review score comes from Edge, a British rag that's lauded even in the states as one of the best in the business.  Their score for mighty Cthulhu?

4/10.

That's four.

Not four out of five.

Four out of ten.

The review text isn't up, (guess you'll have to buy the magazine for that), but caveat emptor -- this one looks like a stinker.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 06:04:03 AM »

I remember Gone Golders being hyped out of their skins about this game. Heh.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 11:17:06 AM »

I was hoping this would be good but it's been in development for so long that it started to stink.  Too bad.

And just for clarification - Bethseda is the publisher and not the developer.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 12:57:07 PM »

Is this Dark Corners of the Earth or the other one?

Edge is a good read, IMO.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2005, 01:21:38 PM »

I expect it to be bad.  It was in development forever, lots of design changes popped up late in the cycle, and (although I love consoles) it was switched from PC only to Xbox and PC.

GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2005, 02:27:10 PM »

and to boot with the switch.  The X Box version is due in stores today, and the PC version isnt due till March.  What the hell is with that?
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2005, 03:22:38 PM »

It was always PC and Xbox.  I've been there every year hoping to see this one knock my socks off.  I don't typically trust European rumor mills or reviews, so I'll wait and see with my own eyes.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2005, 03:23:40 PM »

It's because 3 years isn't enough time to sink a PC game. Look at how long it took Daikatana to make us their bitch. slywink

Oh, and Ron, there's a big misconception in the states.. it's European, not "Yer-a-peein' "  :twisted:

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
warning

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2005, 03:38:45 PM »

Eurogamer's review is up.  Here's their conclusion:
Arriving with almost zero fanfare, it's definitely one of those delightfully slow-burn adventures that will take time to appreciate. Almost to its detriment, it doesn't play its hand early on; if anything, the game takes fully three or four hours before you really start to unravel its charms, and even then it never feels like a game in a hurry. But once the pieces start falling into place, it's abundantly clear that Call of Cthulhu will be picking up a great many admirers among the fans of horror adventures - and who knows, maybe a few of you that never quite 'got' the genre too.

8/10

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=61403

Quote from: "Knightshade"
I don't typically trust European rumor mills or reviews, so I'll wait and see with my own eyes.

I'm not wild about most but I've found Eurogamer to be quite solid.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2005, 03:50:33 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
Eurogamer's review is up.  Here's their conclusion:
Arriving with almost zero fanfare, it's definitely one of those delightfully slow-burn adventures that will take time to appreciate. Almost to its detriment, it doesn't play its hand early on; if anything, the game takes fully three or four hours before you really start to unravel its charms, and even then it never feels like a game in a hurry. But once the pieces start falling into place, it's abundantly clear that Call of Cthulhu will be picking up a great many admirers among the fans of horror adventures - and who knows, maybe a few of you that never quite 'got' the genre too.

8/10

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=61403

Quote from: "Knightshade"
I don't typically trust European rumor mills or reviews, so I'll wait and see with my own eyes.

I'm not wild about most but I've found Eurogamer to be quite solid.

Quite right. I've trusted EuroGamer for a while now and they tend to have similar tastes and opinions as I do. Last time I saw this was at my first and only E3 many moons ago. smile

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2005, 03:53:35 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
Quite right. I've trusted EuroGamer for a while now and they tend to have similar tastes and opinions as I do. Last time I saw this was at my first and only E3 many moons ago. smile

...and as I recall, you were pretty damned stoked about it.. that and PCSD2 (Pirates of the Caribbean Sea Dogs 2 : The Renaming).

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
angrycoder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2005, 04:35:39 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
It was always PC and Xbox.  I've been there every year hoping to see this one knock my socks off.  I don't typically trust European rumor mills or reviews, so I'll wait and see with my own eyes.

Wow, I don't think I've seen someone who runs a 'professional' site sling as much shit as you do towards other gaming publications and sites.

If I might ask, what is wrong with European reviews? Or are you one of those whackjobs who still goes to McDonalds and tries to order Freedom fries?

If Edge and Eurogamer were the New York Times, this place would be Mad magazine.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2005, 04:59:07 PM »

You couldn't be further from the truth.  Personally, I go out of my way to work with other sites and publications, and I didn't say ALL European sites.  Its just some.  So do me a favor and don't lump me in with the jingoistic nutbags screaming about Freedom Fries.  I didn't say all European sites, I just saying some.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2005, 05:08:07 PM »

LE, sorry to rain on your "bash anything Bethesda does" parade, but you might want direct your anger to these guys.

http://www.headfirst.co.uk/

Bethesda is NOT the developer of the game. They are the PUBLISHER.

Headfirst are the developers of the game.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2005, 05:24:38 PM »

Ironically enough I tend to trust to European reviews a lot more then Console Gold's. They tend to be a lot more to my taste.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2005, 05:33:01 PM »

*shrug*  You find somebody that is on par with your tastes and you run with em.  Simple as that. smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2005, 05:54:01 PM »

Quote from: "Purge"
Quote from: "whiteboyskim"

...and as I recall, you were pretty damned stoked about it.. that and PCSD2 (Pirates of the Caribbean Sea Dogs 2 : The Renaming).

You know, next time I'm in Winnepeg, I'm going to hurt you a lot. Just a friendly heads up. biggrin

I was pretty stoked for Call when I last saw it, but that was a few years ago when it seemed new. Now it seems like old hat, and just dumping it like this doesn't inspire confidence. But I'm open minded enough about the Old Ones where I'll check out the reviews and such.

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2005, 05:58:43 PM »

Quote from: "Hetz"
LE, sorry to rain on your "bash anything Bethesda does" parade, but you might want direct your anger to these guys.

http://www.headfirst.co.uk/

Headfirst are the developers of the game.

OW|\|3D!

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2005, 06:07:39 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
*shrug*  You find somebody that is on par with your tastes and you run with em.  Simple as that. smile

Very true. To be honest the impression threads here and on OO are far more likely to get me to buy a game then most reviews. Looking at the Black and White 2 threads has almost convinced me to buy it, in spite of the bad reviews.

Edited to add in a comment from the comments thread on EG:

'I think you have to have been schooled in pretty old school adventuring to get the most out of this. It's not a game to reveal much of itself for quite some time...a pretty unusual approach these days. ' Krudster.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2005, 06:32:48 PM »

Ok.  I'll change a word and my point will remain the same.

Thanks for the semantics lesson.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2005, 07:04:56 PM »

Obviously this is one of those cases where the game just needed a little more time in the oven....

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAA
Sorry, couldn't hold it in.  

Anyway, two good reviews (I heard official Xbox UK gave it 8/10 as well), one bad review.  Oh no!  Let the Bethesda bashing begin!! :lol:
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2005, 07:32:30 PM »

"Hi.  My name's -Lord Ebonstone-.  You may remember me from such posts as, Pissing in your Wheaties, If I can't have fun NOBODY's having fun DAMMIT! and, OMG! When I talk about romance I'm actually human!"

biggrin

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2005, 07:35:22 PM »

Quote from: "kathode"
Obviously this is one of those cases where the game just needed a little more time in the oven...

I don't.... get... it..?
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2005, 07:39:34 PM »

Obviously this is one of those cases where the game just needed a little more time in the oven....

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAA
Sorry, couldn't hold it in.

I don't get it either.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2005, 07:47:12 PM »

Just saying the game has been in development for an eon, so even hinting that it got pushed out early is hilarious to me (assumption i make when people blame the publisher).  It's had a LOOOOONG and quite storied development, and you will never hear about it smile

Either way, looks like the reviews are skewing positive for the time being.  So does that mean there will be no Bethesda bashing?  :cry:
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2005, 08:01:03 PM »

HAHAHAH I heard about it noobs!! I know more than you!! SNAP!!

OH noes!! And seriously, LE, man, get a goddamn grip. They are the US publisher for the game, have let it sit for a long damn time after it was originally supposed to be out, and Eurogamer, one of my most respected review sites gave it a solid 8. Could we at least wait a couple days before getting hysterical?
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2005, 08:21:21 PM »

I got it Kathode.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2005, 08:41:01 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
Ok.  I'll change a word and my point will remain the same.

Thanks for the semantics lesson.

Bethesda's already been in it for millions, at this point it needs to go to market. Maybe they should have dropped the game two years ago at a loss; instead they gambled. As it turns out it may not be a horrible stinker ... mediocre, perhaps, but not such an abysmal failure that it deserves 'bashing'. I mean, 80% ain't bad.

It's not a semantics lesson; that would be teaching people to quible about little things. Millions of dollars, from my perspective, isn't little.

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2005, 09:10:20 PM »

Bethesda's already been in it for millions, at this point it needs to go to market. Maybe they should have dropped the game two years ago at a loss; instead they gambled. As it turns out it may not be a horrible stinker ... mediocre, perhaps, but not such an abysmal failure that it deserves 'bashing'.

Well, when I saw 4/10, I was pretty sure reviews would continue in that vein -- I mean, 4/10 is such a bad score from a reputable source that you can't help but assume something's intrinsically wrong with the game.

And you're right, it was market time for sure.  Unfortuantely, that doesn't apologize for the game if it turns out to suck.

I mean, 80% ain't bad.

67% when you factor in Edge's 4/10.  But yeah, maybe it's not as crappy as Edge would suggest (keeping fingers crossed, the world needs a good Lovecraftian game, Eternal Darkness, awesome as it was, just wasn't enough!)

Does it set warning alarms off in anyone else's head that this game has gotten next to no advertising or hype, despite launching this week?  I mean, I'd not notice that if it were a title from a smaller publisher, but when it's from Bethesda, (who even trumpeted up the atrocious Sea Dogs 2/Pirates of the Caribbean), it's like they know something's wrong with it, and just want to cut their losses and move on.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2005, 10:00:00 PM »

Could be, but the game has been in development for 6 years, I think they want to cut losses in general.  Plus, those who want to buy it, the Cthulu crowd, either already know about it, will find out from other people, or already plan to buy it.

That's me being optimistic, though.  I suspect with the way the scores are jumping back and forth, the game is good but with some dated mechanics and bad technical problems.
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2005, 10:11:03 PM »

I got it. Impressions soon!
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2005, 11:56:30 PM »

Don't forget 2K Games is co-publisher.  How about some hate/love for them as well, huh? smile
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2005, 12:16:48 AM »

LE, I see your point on the 4/10 thing, you were going with information that was available at the time from a reasonably reliable source.

I think you were a little heavy handed which did a lovely job of bringing up peoples pressure.

Good job, buddy. slywink

I'm hoping the 4/10 review is one nut-job who just didn't care to try and understand the game; judging games on technical merit alone seems wrong, but on the other hand judging artistic value is a crapshoot at best.

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2005, 12:59:59 AM »

Knightshade Dragon wrote:
It was always PC and Xbox. I've been there every year hoping to see this one knock my socks off. I don't typically trust European rumor mills or reviews, so I'll wait and see with my own eyes.

Angrycoder wrote:
Wow, I don't think I've seen someone who runs a 'professional' site sling as much shit as you do towards other gaming publications and sites.

If I might ask, what is wrong with European reviews? Or are you one of those whackjobs who still goes to McDonalds and tries to order Freedom fries?

If Edge and Eurogamer were the New York Times, this place would be Mad magazine.

Am I missing something?  Is this some kind of inside joke that I missed, or did everyone else skim past this? WTF?  :evil:

I wish I had a memory, maybe that would answer my question, but just in case you meant it, angrycoder:  if you think this professional site and our esteemed Director are so verrry bad, why don't you just leave?  Nothing personal, just wondering...  :angry:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2005, 12:26:35 AM »

And if this were Mad magazine, then it'd at least be worth picking up.

As I understand it, the staff aren't paid all that well. They're here cuz they LIKE it. This is their long-term effort with a perk or two (reviewing new games once in a while).

If Ron wants to spout shit about other sites / mags, etc... it ain't gonna hurt his "business model" if you take offence to it. I'm sure it wasn't meant as a jab though; he replied to the critique on page one. (which is why I left it alone, myto)

my 2cents. biggrin

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2005, 12:31:03 AM »

Quote from: "rrmorton"
I got it. Impressions soon!

TheMissingLink on PSN
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2005, 12:48:51 AM »

Just saying the game has been in development for an eon, so even hinting that it got pushed out early is hilarious to me (assumption i make when people blame the publisher).  It's had a LOOOOONG and quite storied development, and you will never hear about it smile

Ah - I knew it had been in development for some time... didn't realize it had been *that* long.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2005, 12:58:49 AM »

he replied to the critique on page one.

Yeah, LE,

I saw the same thing, but I thought maybe there was some inside joke I missed, or Ron was being too honorable, lol.  I thought angrycoder came on way too strong for that little comment, EVEN if Ron had meant it the way coder took it, IMO.  Maybe not, but oh well. As it turns out, we all had bigger fish to fry last night anyway.  :shock:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2005, 01:15:58 AM »

Quote from: "mytocles"
he replied to the critique on page one.

Yeah, LE,

I saw the same thing, but I thought maybe there was some inside joke I missed, or Ron was being too honorable, lol.  I thought angrycoder came on way too strong for that little comment, EVEN if Ron had meant it the way coder took it, IMO.  Maybe not, but oh well. As it turns out, we all had bigger fish to fry last night anyway.  :shock:
Uh, you were talking to Purge, not me.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2005, 01:23:53 AM »

And if this were Mad magazine, then it'd at least be worth picking up.

As I understand it, the staff aren't paid all that well. They're here cuz they LIKE it. This is their long-term effort with a perk or two (reviewing new games once in a while).

If Ron wants to spout shit about other sites / mags, etc... it ain't gonna hurt his "business model" if you take offence to it. I'm sure it wasn't meant as a jab though; he replied to the critique on page one. (which is why I left it alone, myto)

my 2cents. biggrin

Dude. Nice avatar. biggrin

thumbsup

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: