http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 01:53:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [XBL/PSN]Star Wars :The Force Unleashed demo Impressions  (Read 10572 times)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 30, 2008, 01:30:52 AM »

Yeah, it seems like Lucasarts is putting *a lot* of resources into this one so I've been expecting a really AAA caliber action game.  I wasn't moved much either way by the demo but I've been hoping that reviews/impressions would be really good.  I'll be very interested now to see if EGM is an outlier. 
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 30, 2008, 03:21:09 AM »

I finally got to play the demo, and I loved it.  I spent more time experimenting than I did actually playing.  It's great fun just to play around with the DMM and Euporia stuff, like stacking all the boxes in front of the window and then throwing a droid through so they all get sucked out into space, or seeing how long a Stormtrooper could hold onto a railing before I let him fall, etc.  I can't wait to see some of the crazy stuff you can do in the rest of the game.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 08, 2008, 12:51:52 AM »

EGM's reviewers gave it C / C / B-. Rethinking my preorder now.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 08, 2008, 12:55:35 AM »

Quote from: Simon on September 08, 2008, 12:51:52 AM

The text of the EGM review was most worrying to me. On the first few levels you're introduced to the awesome force powers, but then you spend a lot of the game fighting guys who have anti-force gear? Sounds like the "Force Quite Leashed" to me.... I was IN after the demo, but now I am OUT until I hear more reassuring impressions of the game proper.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 08, 2008, 01:56:17 AM »

Quote from: JCC on September 08, 2008, 12:55:35 AM

The text of the EGM review was most worrying to me. On the first few levels you're introduced to the awesome force powers, but then you spend a lot of the game fighting guys who have anti-force gear? Sounds like the "Force Quite Leashed" to me.... I was IN after the demo, but now I am OUT until I hear more reassuring impressions of the game proper.

damn, it's like all the games I've been looking forward to this fall have been turning out to be disappointments that I'm not sure if I'll end up getting or not.   

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 08, 2008, 03:16:02 AM »

I'm still in day 1!
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 08, 2008, 02:57:46 PM »

Yeah, this was a big bummer when I read the EGM review.

Seriously.  Force/energy shields?  That's never been in any of the movies, or any of the books I've read.  What's the point?

This game is going to be just a rental for me.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 08, 2008, 03:05:38 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on September 08, 2008, 02:57:46 PM

Seriously.  Force/energy shields?  That's never been in any of the movies, or any of the books I've read.  What's the point?

Probably the same reason that KOTOR had that special alloy that allowed weapons and armor to stand up to lightsabers- game balance. 
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: September 08, 2008, 03:17:02 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 08, 2008, 03:05:38 PM

Probably the same reason that KOTOR had that special alloy that allowed weapons and armor to stand up to lightsabers- game balance. 

So, not only do they screw up by making you own the dullest lightsaber in existence (no marks on walls/floors, and no chopping of limbs, both of which were done in a FPS YEARS ago), but the entire point of you playing the game (as an overpowered bastard with amazing Force powers) is ruined as well?

Talk about a fuck up. And as thus, this most definitely goes into the RENT category for me.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 08, 2008, 03:21:26 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on September 08, 2008, 03:17:02 PM

So, not only do they screw up by making you own the dullest lightsaber in existence (no marks on walls/floors, and no chopping of limbs, both of which were done in a FPS YEARS ago), but the entire point of you playing the game (as an overpowered bastard with amazing Force powers) is ruined as well?

Talk about a fuck up. And as thus, this most definitely goes into the RENT category for me.

makes SW:FU kinda appropriate.... as much as I love Star Wars I think I'll cancel my pre-order and wait for user reviews.

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 08, 2008, 03:55:35 PM »

[pushes geek glasses up nose] Actually, there were the lizards in the first set of books, the Ysalamir, which could block the force and were pretty powerful.  Snort. [/geek glasses]

Bad idea in the books, too, though.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 08, 2008, 03:59:20 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on September 08, 2008, 03:55:35 PM

[pushes geek glasses up nose] Actually, there were the lizards in the first set of books, the Ysalamir, which could block the force and were pretty powerful.  Snort. [/geek glasses]

And after the book they made it into Mysteries of the Sith IIRC.... /end nerd
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 08, 2008, 04:13:32 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on September 08, 2008, 03:59:20 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on September 08, 2008, 03:55:35 PM

And after the book they made it into Mysteries of the Sith IIRC.... /end nerd

Capture the Ysalmar was also a game mode in Jedi Outcast.

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 08, 2008, 04:19:38 PM »

This is all the fundamental problem with Jedi- they're too damn powerful and the movie places no bounds on their power ("Size matters not").  In a 2 hour movie, you don't have to deal with the elephant in the room for various reasons (Luke is still learning, doesn't want to use the force for evil, etc) but in a longer novel or game it becomes problematic so you have the creation of the Ysalimari, vibroblades, and whatever Force Unleashed uses to nerf them. 
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 08, 2008, 04:44:16 PM »

Meh.  I don't want game balance in a game called "Force Unleashed".  Tongue

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: September 09, 2008, 07:10:33 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 08, 2008, 04:19:38 PM

This is all the fundamental problem with Jedi- they're too damn powerful and the movie places no bounds on their power ("Size matters not").  In a 2 hour movie, you don't have to deal with the elephant in the room for various reasons (Luke is still learning, doesn't want to use the force for evil, etc) but in a longer novel or game it becomes problematic so you have the creation of the Ysalimari, vibroblades, and whatever Force Unleashed uses to nerf them. 

they didn't F Up the jedi in  jedi outcast, only forced you into an early gimped phase with gradual progression into badass.  really, the biggest obstacles to jedi in any game should be limited to laser snipers ala JO and enemies who keep their distance.  swarms of troopers are more because you would expect them to try to take out a jedi, even when outmatched.   giving them super equipment just because you made the jedi powers too strong is stupid and mean that they should have balanced out the whole game better. 

hell, why didn't they play on the whole anger management issue and make the more powerful dark side powers available after you got worked up?  keep a chain of attacks and then you can really go nuts. 

too bad.  back to the rental queue for good.

fwiw, i read some parts of the novel the other day.  i obviously didn't get all the plot points, but it follows a similar vein to what has been in the movies before.  in one notable moment, it's practically a remake of a particularly memorable scene. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 09, 2008, 09:43:45 PM »

I think the way they could have made this work would have been to make it like Dynasty Warriors: Star Wars. Just put waves upon waves of stormtroopers attacking so that the Jedi could get overwhelmed.  Actually that probably wouldn't be very Star Warsy.

I don't know, I thought the demo had promise, I don't know why they'd have to go and add all sorts of non canon stuff in. Have him fight more and bigger enemies, make puzzles, platforming, whatever. Have him learning new powers as he goes along (he is an apprentice, after all). Seems like they could have made it work.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 10, 2008, 12:50:23 AM »

Of course they could have made it work..they made it work in all the jedi FPS games to date....

But now they change the formula...why? Because they sold out to the last generation concept of a console FPS being super super arcade like instead of having a lightsaber actually able to kill in one stroke and dismember.

And i say last generation cause i honestly felt this current generation of xbox360 had been going beyond the old arcadishness into real grown up gameplay...until i played SW:FU demo...

That said...i still found the demo fun and will at least rent the game for a full playthrough, though I will most definitely not be purchasing it day 1 like i formerly planned to do...because it OBVIoUSLY doesn't stand up to all he hype...not even close.
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 10, 2008, 06:15:38 PM »

Quote from: JCC on August 29, 2008, 08:04:51 PM

By far, the worst thing about the demo is the guy doing Darth Vader's voice. He is AWFUL. I can't believe that's the best James Earl Jones impersonator that they could find. Try harder.

The voice was done by Chad Vader.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 11, 2008, 04:32:47 PM »

Quote from: Fuzzballx on September 10, 2008, 12:50:23 AM

Of course they could have made it work..they made it work in all the jedi FPS games to date....

But now they change the formula...why? Because they sold out to the last generation concept of a console FPS being super super arcade like instead of having a lightsaber actually able to kill in one stroke and dismember.

And i say last generation cause i honestly felt this current generation of xbox360 had been going beyond the old arcadishness into real grown up gameplay...until i played SW:FU demo...

That said...i still found the demo fun and will at least rent the game for a full playthrough, though I will most definitely not be purchasing it day 1 like i formerly planned to do...because it OBVIoUSLY doesn't stand up to all he hype...not even close.

How did you get that Force Unleashed is an FPS?

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 11, 2008, 04:36:00 PM »

Is there not a way to combine these two posts into one?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 11, 2008, 06:14:05 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on September 11, 2008, 04:36:00 PM

Is there not a way to combine these two posts into one?

It's possible but I prefer not to outside of merging related threads in different forums.  Otherwise it just smacks of "This is the official Force Unleashed thread, this is the official Fallout thread", etc.  Then you get debates on whether something warranted it's own thread (ie should the DRM stuff about Spore be a separate thread or included in the main thread, etc) and it just smacks too much of over-moderation to me.  Especially since there is an excellent chance that next week will see an all new "Force Unleashed Full Game Impressions thread'. 
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: September 15, 2008, 07:39:17 AM »

I had originally planned on purchasing the Force Unleashed for the PS3 but after careful deliberation between the demos on the PS3 and the 360 - I had to choose the 360 because it just looks better than the PS3 version. I was really shocked by this conclusion as I thought for sure it would look better on my PS3 and so just to make sure that I wasn't mistaken - I even brought my wife into the room and switched back and forth between the two consoles a dozen times so she could give me her unbiased opinion on which version looked the best and she chose the 360.

For the most part the two seem to be identical except that at an initial glance it seemed the textures seemed to look better on the 360. However after my test w/ my wife - I don't think it's necessarily the textures but rather it's the lighting in the 360 version. There are a lot more shadows and lights affecting elements within the 360 version - while the PS3 version has an ultra bright and clean look to it with far less shadows.

now granted the bright and clean look might be more traditional star wars - but I prefer the lighting effects on the 360 as it really seemed to make the game world look far more realistic (plus it's a better visual setting for playing a bad guy)

On the flipside-  I did also notice a few odd visual glitches on the 360 side that never showed up in the PS3 demo -- mostly centered around the main characters lightsaber. Several times during my playthroughs - his lightsaber would seem to get stuck in a slight motion blur visual appearance. This would go away as soon as I swung the saber again - but it was annoying to see.

Anyways that's my .02 cents as to why I chose the 360 version over the PS3.

as for the game itself - I'm kind of glad that i've read negative reviews about it as they've lowered my expectations for the game considerably - so I might actually enjoy it more now.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: