http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 05:38:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [XBL/PSN]Star Wars :The Force Unleashed demo Impressions  (Read 10571 times)
Greggy_D
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 22, 2008, 05:18:33 PM »

Sigh.  I SO wanted to love this game, but no way in hell is it a $60 game (based on the demo). 

I need to give some thought into canceling my preorder.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 22, 2008, 05:46:49 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on August 22, 2008, 04:32:43 PM

My complaints with it are less in the repetitive nature and more in the "this camera is fucking retarded" mode.

My thoughts exactly.  I felt like I was fighting the camera far more than I was fighting the Stormtroopers during that demo.  I also agree with Kevin that it would get old pretty quickly.  I'll probably pick it up eventually, but it's certainly not a day one purchase.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 22, 2008, 06:10:47 PM »

I actually thought the camera was pretty darn well done.   icon_confused

I didn't have any issues with it repositioning automatically and moving it around was fairly intuitive.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 22, 2008, 07:00:59 PM »

Yeah, count me in the "there was something off" about the camera.  Not sure I can pintpoint what it was though.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 22, 2008, 07:36:33 PM »

played the PS3 version,didnt notice that much difference,it may well be a little smoother though,i didnt notice that stutter after using your lightsabre or force powers that i noticed on the 360...i did feel a little awkward with the controlls,but i did find out how to throw my lightsabre while using the sixaxis(press and hold R2 then press square)

i played on the second difficulty level(like i did on the 360)and for some reason it looked like i had bigger health and force power bars.
other than that i couldn't see any other difference(to my eyes and ears anyway)...when you select the game from your PS3 folder (on the XMB screen)the screen changes to a star wars screen and you get the little thumbnail movie ..whether thats the whole 450extra MB there i dunno

oh,and i couldnt figure out how to select The Hoff or Bea Arthur as a main character,Larry the Cable guy was selectable straight from the start though icon_wink

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 22, 2008, 08:31:50 PM »

Am I the only one who is lukewarm about the demo?  I have a feeling the overuse of force powers is going to be way over the top.  That's not how Jedi roll.  The game did not feel like Star Wars to me whatsoever.

greggy read my post i had some similar feelings about it

and to whoever said the powers dont level up / you dont get experience for using the force powers in creative ways - you definitely do.  in the demo it seemed like it was only an early implementation (because in my 3 or 4 playthroughs it was INCREDIBLY sporadic) - but i did manage to level up my force push.  also theres a gameplay scene in which the protagonist slams an at-st into the dirt (in the video at the end of the demo). as final proof - force lightning something - theres NO WAY this is the extent of the power - you can only hold it for a second before it runs out, it only hits one guy and it basically stuns him.  youre definitely going to be able to level up powers, im just not sure if its going to be through use, or more like god of war where you allocate points

also did anyone see the pretty cool loading tip about lightsabers? your going to be able to put different crystals into your saber - and the tip said they would change color of the saber AND attributes!  which seemed pretty darn cool to me.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 22, 2008, 08:34:00 PM »

oh,and i couldnt figure out how to select The Hoff or Bea Arthur as a main character,Larry the Cable guy was selectable straight from the start though

oh and sorry to double post but as a little know tidbit - bea arthur wont be using a lightsaber in this game - shes wielding her engorged phallus (props to the roast of pam or flava flav - for some reason that joke just never got old during the whole event smile)
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 22, 2008, 08:54:50 PM »

Devs said the intro was supposed to run like a tutorial, breaking you easy into the game, thus, the first level is of course, pretty easy to deal with. I imagine, that as you start out without major powers, and have to earn them, the game gets harder. Also, for me the storyline is a huge part of wanting to play this game.

One of the reasons I loved MGS4 and Assasins Creed, was the storylines in them.

Anyways, downloading the demo now, cant wait!!

A new one
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 22, 2008, 10:25:57 PM »

Quote from: Doopri on August 22, 2008, 08:34:00 PM

oh,and i couldnt figure out how to select The Hoff or Bea Arthur as a main character,Larry the Cable guy was selectable straight from the start though

oh and sorry to double post but as a little know tidbit - bea arthur wont be using a lightsaber in this game - shes wielding her engorged phallus (props to the roast of pam or flava flav - for some reason that joke just never got old during the whole event smile)

That was actually a much earlier Roast.  Jerry Stiller, IIRC.  Jeffrey Ross about Sandra Bernhardt:  "I wouldn't fuck her with Bea Arthur's dick."  One of the most memorable zings of all time.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: August 22, 2008, 11:48:55 PM »

Color me not impressed.  Off my day-one list for sure.  I can't put my finger on it, but the lack of actual damage to any of the enemies just about ruined it for me.  Nowadays the systems can render just about anything and to me a light saber should be hacking the sheeite out of those guys.

Also, I did not like the blue reticle popping up everwhere.  Bugged the crap out of me.  I would rather it not pop up til I pull the trigger or press the button then I can scroll around and pick what I want to fling or push or whatever. 

And lastly, everything was too clean and shiny. 

All minor gripes for sure, and I will play the game some day for sure, but definitely not a must-buy NEW anymore.  I can wait for a price drop or used for sure. 

That leaves Gears 2 and Mirror's Edge as my only two day-one's for this year.  Getting slim.  Which is good as there is tons of good used fodder to pick up right now.   

I am Xboxalot on Live.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 23, 2008, 01:00:26 AM »

Quote from: mikeg on August 22, 2008, 11:48:55 PM

Also, I did not like the blue reticle popping up everwhere.  Bugged the crap out of me.  I would rather it not pop up til I pull the trigger or press the button then I can scroll around and pick what I want to fling or push or whatever. 

that part bugged me as well,look like i was in Vegas or Paris,with everything flashing

on one playthrough-where the Tie Fighters were flying past,and you can bend that metal to smash into them,i decided to experiment a bit,i picked up a Rebel who was firing at me with my force powers...and suspended him in the air in the path of an oncoming Tiefighter.....BANG!!!.NOW THATS HOW YOU KILL SOMEONE!!..LOL

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: August 23, 2008, 04:03:49 AM »

Demos are such a double-edged sword....

A demo can sell the game to some people, but ultimately you are put in the position of judging the entire game from a tiny little wedge of it.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: August 23, 2008, 05:21:32 AM »

In case anyone cares this one got a 7.5 in the most recent OXM.  They aren't usually the harshest critics, so I would say if you're on the fence you may want to proceed cautiosly. 

Oh, and quick-time events?  WTF?  I wish those things would die. 
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 05:25:59 AM by EngineNo9 » Logged

Sandwiches do fix everything.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 23, 2008, 04:34:02 PM »

played the demo on PS3 yesterday...fun while it lasted, but i just got the vibe that it's not going to be worth a full $60 purchase unless they really add some customization and replay value.  if it's a one-and-done game (and a short one at that), i'll likely wait for a big price drop or pick it up as a rental.  as for the gameplay, it is cool to interact so much with the environment, and the controls work reasonably well, but i'm not sure that could hold my interest for a full game.  that really depends on how they mix things up throughout the game, which means i'll be waiting for reviews and impressions before i even consider picking this one up.

Quote from: EngineNo9 on August 23, 2008, 05:21:32 AM

i was surprised to come across that as well...would much rather just see a cutscene to end the battle than do that synchronized button-press stuff out of nowhere.  hopefully, the game isn't too full of those sequences...

and finally, i definitely agree that we need to see dismemberment with the lightsaber, or at least some visual change to the enemies.  this time around, they didn't even include lasting burn marks on the walls from your lightsaber.  instead, you can leave black marks that fade much too quickly...even the last couple JK games had a cool burn/melting effect when you touched walls that lasted for a longer period of time.  they seem to have gotten a lot of details right, but there are others that they really shouldn't have missed.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: August 23, 2008, 05:38:55 PM »

Quote from: disarm on August 23, 2008, 04:34:02 PM

Quote from: EngineNo9 on August 23, 2008, 05:21:32 AM

i was surprised to come across that as well...would much rather just see a cutscene to end the battle than do that synchronized button-press stuff out of nowhere.  hopefully, the game isn't too full of those sequences...

The bad QTEs are one of the big problems OXM had with the game.  Apparently they show up for killing every boss and mini-boss, so it's a bit anticlimactic and you never quite feel like you beat them with your own skills. 

Your other point of one-and-done is another gripe they had.  With no multiplayer and no branching story/powers it is a pretty straight-forward game.

pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 23, 2008, 06:29:54 PM »

After playing the demo this game seems like another hack and slash set in the Star Wars Universe but how can you not have dismemberment when wielding lightsabers. thumbsdown

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 23, 2008, 06:36:39 PM »

Dismemberment would probably mean an M-rating and not way are they going to do that. 
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: August 23, 2008, 07:18:09 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on August 23, 2008, 06:36:39 PM

Dismemberment would probably mean an M-rating and not way are they going to do that. 

But there's no blood. And the old PC games had dismemberment and I don't think they had an M rating.

Worst part about the game, IMHO. You're wielding a freakin' LIGHTSABER here, people!

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 23, 2008, 08:21:11 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on August 23, 2008, 07:18:09 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on August 23, 2008, 06:36:39 PM

But there's no blood. And the old PC games had dismemberment and I don't think they had an M rating.

Worst part about the game, IMHO. You're wielding a freakin' LIGHTSABER here, people!

ESRB standards from six years ago aren't the same as today.  I'm pretty sure a Lucasrts rep on QT3 even confirmed that that there is no dismemberment due to rating concerns. 
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 23, 2008, 11:25:40 PM »

Your other point of one-and-done is another gripe they had.  With no multiplayer and no branching story/powers it is a pretty straight-forward game.

i thought there were two endings? im not sure if that qualifies as "branching story" but i thought the character had a chance to get a "good" or "evil" ending
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 24, 2008, 12:07:59 AM »

The only thing this demo made me feel was the desire for another title in the Jedi Knight series. Those games were the only ones to get lightsaber battles and force powers pretty damn right.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 25, 2008, 05:16:27 AM »

Just played the PS3 demo.  I didn't notice any difference, really.  The "dramatic" pauses are definitely there when saber slashing.

DArtagnan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 25, 2008, 10:13:26 AM »

Tried the demo.

I hadn't expected anything from this, so I couldn't be disappointed. Seems like a fun little game that I'll enjoy and forget about. Perhaps even more than that, though there's nothing to indicate any kind of depth or profound storyline. But who can withstand that old-school Star Wars feel.

Controls are not that great, but I'm getting the feeling that they're the sort of controls you eventually master and consider quite fluid after a while. I say that because I was pretty annoyed with the force grip at first, but already by the boss battle, I had improved my throwing skills at least 100%. Some games are just not that intuitive but they grow on you.

Visually it's extremely pretty and smooth. VERY good Star Wars feeling all around, which is ultimately what appeals to me about it. I just can't get enough of that crap, even with the prequels in mind.

I definitely don't like the "hit pauses" and I fail to see the cinematic appeal about them. I really hope you can disable them somehow or that they'll reconsider that particular "feature".

What will make or break the game - for me - will be the storyline and the character upgrades. I really hope there's some meat to the upgrade system and that the storyline isn't as mindless as the action suggests.

We'll see - but I'll inevitably get this for the 360.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: August 25, 2008, 03:04:46 PM »

I think the demo pretty much convinced me that I don't need to get this one right away.  It was fun (although short), but I can wait until the holiday rush is over and grab it cheaper early next year and be happy. 

It almost seemed like a mindless brawler where you use the same few attacks over and over, like some sort of snazzy Double Dragon.  Throw some barrels, throw some barrels, swing swing swing, force push, swing swing swing, lightning, throw some barrels...

Plus, the QTE felt out of place and sucked.

YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 25, 2008, 05:22:35 PM »

I was a bit surprised at the negativity/meh feeling a lot of people had in this thread. I thought it was one of the most bad-ass demos I've played in a very long time.

The graphics are impressive, the physics are impressive, and the demo had a lot of "wow" moments for me. Ripping a hatch off a wall to slam into a stormtrooper running after me, dodging strafing TIE fighters, hurling people off balconies, force pushing doors open, etc.

I could care less about the details of why lightsabers don't lop off limbs or whether or not the force powers obey the physics of the movie. To me this game was all about being a bad motherfucker and tearing shit up, and that's a goal it achieved quite satisfactorily. Day One purchase for me.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 25, 2008, 05:25:42 PM »

Controls sucked. Player was way too overpowered. I could just stand their taking hits and regening health. Made me not give a shit about taking cover or anything. I understand Jedi's are badass, but at least make us work for it.

Game looked pretty, but its more about the gameplay for me. This game didn't do it. I had no desire to play the demo again and I was really looking forward to this one.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 25, 2008, 06:13:58 PM »

It's a fun crate-throwing simulator, but the demo didn't convince me that there is a good game here. I'm going to wait for reviews.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 25, 2008, 06:16:37 PM »

Played through the demo this weekend - the one thing that struck me was that Psi-Ops had better controls for telekinesis. The fact that both the left and right stick control left-right movement felt very awkward, and lining up the shots correctly was difficult. I'm sure that more playtime would help get used to it, but that was my initial impression.

The game does look very cool, and I'll be interested in the reviews.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 26, 2008, 02:19:46 AM »

I've played through the demo 4 times now and I'm absolutely loving it.  I didn't know you could bend the steel bars at the TIE part so they fly into them, that was so awesome!
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 29, 2008, 04:44:45 PM »

The original soundtrack is playing on this site wtih a review:

http://www.tracksounds.com/reviews/the_force_unleashed_mark_griskey.htm

I was looking because I loved the music that plays on the PS3 main menu screen for the game.  It's track 5: Approaching Felucia

The music is in the top right corner of the article.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 29, 2008, 06:49:31 PM »

EGM reviewed it with a C, C, and B-. 
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: August 29, 2008, 07:38:03 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on August 29, 2008, 06:49:31 PM

EGM reviewed it with a C, C, and B-. 

Care to give the reasoning as to why they reviewed it that? Or just their wrapup?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 29, 2008, 07:44:45 PM »

Don't have the issue yet- got it from Neogaf.  However I believe the wrap-up was:

Good:  Force Powers
Bad: Combat

and a comment that the PS3 version had audio glitches and both versions had collision issues causing you to get stuck in walls. 
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 29, 2008, 07:53:32 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on August 29, 2008, 04:44:45 PM

I was looking because I loved the music that plays on the PS3 main menu screen for the game.  It's track 5: Approaching Felucia

thanks for that.  you can save the files to burn to a cd btw.  nice car music alternative.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 29, 2008, 07:58:56 PM »

Quote from: Caine on August 29, 2008, 07:53:32 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on August 29, 2008, 04:44:45 PM

thanks for that.  you can save the files to burn to a cd btw.  nice car music alternative.

How do you save the files?

RE: The review, my XBOX demo had tons of audio glitches, but my PS3 demo never skipped...opposite of the review?  Did anyone else notice that?
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 29, 2008, 08:04:51 PM »

Well being a lowly silver member, I finally got to give this a shot today. Look, I don't think it's perfect or anything, but the most overwhelming impression I got is that it's fun as shit. Yes I have some fears it might get repetitive, but lets hope they throw more force powers at you as the game goes on and/or new ways to use them.

Hurray for an easy difficulty level!

By far, the worst thing about the demo is the guy doing Darth Vader's voice. He is AWFUL. I can't believe that's the best James Earl Jones impersonator that they could find. Try harder.

This demo definitely left me more interested than I was before.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 29, 2008, 09:16:30 PM »

Quote from: JCC on August 29, 2008, 08:04:51 PM

Well being a lowly silver member, I finally got to give this a shot today. Look, I don't think it's perfect or anything, but the most overwhelming impression I got is that it's fun as shit. Yes I have some fears it might get repetitive, but lets hope they throw more force powers at you as the game goes on and/or new ways to use them.

Hurray for an easy difficulty level!

By far, the worst thing about the demo is the guy doing Darth Vader's voice. He is AWFUL. I can't believe that's the best James Earl Jones impersonator that they could find. Try harder.

This demo definitely left me more interested than I was before.

Honestly, the Vader voice didn't bother me at all.  It's not JEJ, but it's not AWFUL.

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 29, 2008, 10:54:17 PM »

Im so out of the loop on this game. When first announced I thought it was a dumb idea for a game. Then I was pissed it was not a new Jedi Knight game. Then I thought it was coming to PC. Geebus I cant get anything right.

But now Im looking foward to it on the PSP. Should be a great handheld game. From what Ive seen it looks damn good on it.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 30, 2008, 12:20:44 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on August 29, 2008, 09:16:30 PM

I just keep telling myself it's a young Vader who hasn't hit puberty yet.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 30, 2008, 12:34:19 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on August 29, 2008, 07:44:45 PM

Don't have the issue yet- got it from Neogaf.  However I believe the wrap-up was:

Good:  Force Powers
Bad: Combat

and a comment that the PS3 version had audio glitches and both versions had collision issues causing you to get stuck in walls. 

Bummer. I was hoping that this would be a worthy successor to the Jedi Knight series. I can understand their complaints about combat, though, especially lightsaber combat. The Force powers were cool, but the controls were wonky when it came to close-quarters with the lightsaber. I'd whiff completely more often than not and trying to jump and do a smash with the lightsaber was nearly impossible.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: