http://gamingtrend.com
April 25, 2014, 08:29:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [XBL/PSN]Star Wars :The Force Unleashed demo Impressions  (Read 10438 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2008, 07:28:08 PM »

ok just saying icon_confused

EDIT:maybe because it is 1355mb on PSN for some reason
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 07:32:27 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2008, 07:52:22 PM »

Hmmmm.  I think I'm starting to not feel very well.  Perhaps I may need to head home a little early today to download.....I mean lay down, and while I would be playing with Force powers.......I mean forcing myself to leave a job that I unconditionally love, it is for the greater good as the Jedi......I mean as I would be making sure that I don't spread whatever ailment that seems to be impacting my well-being.  I think being permitted to go home to play with a lightsaber......I mean would be a lifesaver, helping me to recover more quickly from the Dark Side.....I mean from the harsh side of poor health.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2008, 09:52:15 PM »

only got a few moments with the game before my boss came into the office  ninja.  he joked about it though and he knows how burnt out i am so it's not going to be a big deal.  i didn't stay long though as i really just wanted to see it for a moment anyways.  played just long enough to through a tie at some storm troopers.  not very good at that yet though. 

saw a few moments of euphoria engine goodness, and it looks/feels pretty cool.  looking forward to giving this a full turn at home.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2008, 10:03:30 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 21, 2008, 07:02:44 PM

go get it on PSN..but i have heard its taking a very long time to DL

particularly if you've got it queued behind quest for booty smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2008, 10:19:53 PM »

so i start up the game.  my first thought in the long corridor is "hmm lets check out this vaunted physics engine" - i force grip some sort of container and toss it through what looks to be a glass window into the vacuum of space.  i am absolutely giddy as the glass shatters, a bunch of stuff is blown out and an emergency hatch slams down on the soon to be depressurized area - wow!

another highlight - i force grip a stormtrooper and attempt to push im back, but he grabs onto a box and hangs there!  ive avoided a lot of the videos so this stuff is new to me, visually

that said - those two moments were my highlights.  i didnt like it nearly as much as i thought i would.  can put my finger on why.  ill probably like it a lot more when i can start dumping points into skills, making my guy some sort of saber badass or lightning god.  but ya - all my power were there, the saber was there, i was killing stormtroopers and dodging tie fighters - but i didnt feel like a jedi.  i felt like a generic action dude.  i have no clue why.  for me, the console game the best captured the "feel" of a jedi was obi wan.  i wasnt choking anyone, i wasnt throwing out bolts of lightning - but it just felt like a star wars jedi.  the ease of force dash and jump probably had a lot to do with it - this game goes with powers that im more accustomed to playing as an alien or psychic rather than the more iconic. 

another thing i HATED at first - but became used to - was the ever so brief pause whenever i strike with my lightsaber.  at first i thought it was MAJOR slowdown - then i realized it was in there on purpose.  im not sure if this was done because if it hadnt, the game actually WOULD have slowed down or to leave open some combo time - but it bugged me at first.

finally - the at st - hmmm.  file this in with limb damage (which id also like to see) - i SO wanted to start stripping off weapons.  while i was giddy surprised by the blast door, i was the opposite kind when i jumped up and couldnt slice off the blasters on the side of the chickens head.  am i alone here? or does this not seem like something i should be able to do?

so im surprised at my reactions.  im hoping the full game will leave me with a better feeling.  i had been salivating for this game demo (yes this was a VERY slow week - thanks metallic i hated you so much last week - youre damn lucky this ended up coming out only a week later smile)  so, file me confused
Kev199
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2008, 10:44:31 PM »

Where is my Wii demo?

slywink
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2008, 11:10:30 PM »

Quote from: Simon on August 21, 2008, 06:21:12 PM

Demo was a total blast to play, can't wait for the game to come out now.

+1 freakin' billion.  Loved it.  Although I am shocked and aghast at the ignorant hatred allowed to be played out on the stormtroopers.  We're just doing our jobs, dammit!

icon_cry
Vinda-Lou

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2008, 11:34:38 PM »

I agree that this was fun.  It's been a loooong time since I replayed a demo a few times in a row.  Maybe because it was quick.  However, I am looking forward to the story of the game too.  I have read that there is a twist to the Star Wars universe in the game - a shocking twist nonetheless!  I have no idea what the twist is, I have literally skipped every article about the game as to not spoil anything, but I have an idea about it from a brief blurb I read on Amazon.  There is a brief spoiler below from what I read on Amazon.  Also in the spoiler below is my idea of the twist.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I think that Vader sets up the Rebellion.  I think this because of where the game fits in on the timeline and from the fact that the main character can't really survive the game.  I'm curious what happens to him as he is not in any other story.  The blurb I read said that Vader wants to use the main character to overthrow the Emperor, so I think Vader sets up the Rebellion to help in overthrowing the Emperor.  Time will tell if I'm right, I guess when I finish the game.  I will not read anything else about the game.
madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2008, 11:34:55 PM »

Quote from: Jancelot on August 21, 2008, 11:10:30 PM

Quote from: Simon on August 21, 2008, 06:21:12 PM

Demo was a total blast to play, can't wait for the game to come out now.

+1 freakin' billion.  Loved it.  Although I am shocked and aghast at the ignorant hatred allowed to be played out on the stormtroopers.  We're just doing our jobs, dammit!

icon_cry

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/8/20/

icon_biggrin
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2008, 01:28:50 AM »

"May The Force Blow Your Mind"

Wow, so dumb.

Anyway, the demo was pretty cool - it looks like they do a really good job in making you feel more and more powerful (as seen in trailer after completing it).  I loved force pushing fools, then zappin' em with lightning.

The QTE was poorly done.  Not enough time to BEGIN the sequence. 

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2008, 02:00:27 AM »

WOOOT  Sweet demo!!  I am glad this one is as good as I'd hoped it would be.  Not only is your guy rocking crazy powers, he even looks cool doing it!!!!!

BTW that Penny Arcade comic is awesome
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2008, 02:07:20 AM »

Just figured out that the Apprentice is Crashdown from BG.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2008, 02:12:14 AM »

loved it,but not so thrilled about the button hitting sequence to take down the AT-ST.  I remember in Jedi Outcast you could wlk near the walks and it would accurately display your saber getting shorter or it would leave a mark as you carved into it, but I didn't see much of that in here.  Still, a day one purchase for the 360 version!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2008, 02:13:47 AM »

oh, and Darth's voice is off, but that could just be him not going through puberty yet.

Because I can,
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2008, 02:23:03 AM »

I have only played it for a few minutes, but so far i'm not digging the lightsaber attacks and the pause, it feels like i'm playing a arcade fighting game like mortal combat
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2008, 02:29:26 AM »

DAY ONE PURCHASE.  I may even use some vacation time.... biggrin:D:D:D

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2008, 05:00:32 AM »

Loved it.  The demo made me grin spontaneously, which doesn't happen often.  Honestly, even though I knew it was possible, throwing a TIE made me giddy.  Not a fan of button presses, but I am a huge fan of what happened as a result of those presses.  NICE.

One thing I loved was walking along a walkway with TIE zipping past and firing every once in a while.  I bent one of the support beams outward.  Next TIE to come along=KABOOM.  It's crap like that that'll make this game.

I just hope they can keep the Holy Shit moments coming through the whole game.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2008, 05:29:36 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on August 22, 2008, 02:00:27 AM

BTW that Penny Arcade comic is awesome

This one is good too:

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2008, 05:46:56 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on August 22, 2008, 05:00:32 AM

I just hope they can keep the Holy Shit moments coming through the whole game.

like the part where you travel back in time and become Lukes father?

Because I can,
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2008, 05:59:07 AM »

I played the demo on both the 360 and PS3 and dare I say the audio and visuals of the PS3 are superior?!  ninja
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2008, 06:05:04 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on August 22, 2008, 05:59:07 AM

I played the demo on both the 360 and PS3 and dare I say the audio and visuals of the PS3 are superior?!  ninja

maybe, but the 360 controller is still my number one choice, and I don't feel like going to spend 50 bucks for the controller they should have included in the PS3 in the first place when they launched.

Because I can,
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2008, 06:44:04 AM »

Quote from: Doopri on August 21, 2008, 10:19:53 PM

another thing i HATED at first - but became used to - was the ever so brief pause whenever i strike with my lightsaber.  at first i thought it was MAJOR slowdown - then i realized it was in there on purpose.  im not sure if this was done because if it hadnt, the game actually WOULD have slowed down or to leave open some combo time - but it bugged me at first.

What's the deal with this, is this really on purpose?  I haven't followed the development of this game at all, so I have no idea.  It's annoying as shit
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2008, 09:42:06 AM »

i am gonna download it for the PS3 today,i wanna see why it is 450mb more than the 360 version

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 22, 2008, 01:07:30 PM »

Am I the only one who is lukewarm about the demo?  I have a feeling the overuse of force powers is going to be way over the top.  That's not how Jedi roll.  The game did not feel like Star Wars to me whatsoever.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 22, 2008, 01:12:44 PM »

Maybe it is because I saw Ratchet & Clank: QFB on the PSN store but isn't this game just like R&C?  Seriously you run around breaking stuff looking for enemies to try different weapons (or force powers) on.   This game is very, very similar in gameplay.   I kept force pulling everything and smashing it because I expected to get bolts so I could upgrade stuff!  Actually that is what the game is lacking.  What is the point of smashing and pulling everything?  In R&C it helps you build your character...in Force Unleashed it....well doesn't do squat.  After the first level or so you won't bother.  Even in God of War (which many people mention when talking about the final fight) you get stuff for smashing the crap out of things.  You get red orbs and when you get enough you can upgrade your weapon.  Force Unleashed is missing that hook to do more damage.  

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 22, 2008, 01:25:25 PM »

Quote from: Greggy_D on August 22, 2008, 01:07:30 PM

Am I the only one who is lukewarm about the demo?

no... thought it all felt kinda mechanical...

but, considering i haven't been able to get into anything star wars related since the last movie of the original trilogy, that's not surprising, i guess smile ...

Quote from: farley2k on August 22, 2008, 01:12:44 PM

Maybe it is because I saw Ratchet & Clank: QFB

much happier with this smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 22, 2008, 01:33:31 PM »

Am I the only one who is lukewarm about the demo?  I have a feeling the overuse of force powers is going to be way over the top.  That's not how Jedi roll.  The game did not feel like Star Wars to me whatsoever.

I enjoyed the demo but frankly I'm worried about the game getting old quick.  There was utterly no challenge or strategy needed to get through the demo.  As much fun as wanton destruction is, it strikes me as something better kept in check for the final portion of the game a la Chronicles of Riddick and Half Life 2.  
somoflange
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 22, 2008, 01:55:07 PM »

It was fun and visually cool. It kinda reminds me of the later levels of Halflife 2 with the super gravity gun. I agree it's going to take more than a force powers sandbox to keep me playing more than the demo though.

I need to give it another run, maybe I was just too tired last night.

PSN: plantatreeforlee
Live: blastdsamoflanj
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 22, 2008, 02:09:49 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 22, 2008, 09:42:06 AM

i am gonna download it for the PS3 today,i wanna see why it is 450mb more than the 360 version

It also includes the ability to play as David Hasselhof, Larry the Cable Guy and Bea Arthur

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 22, 2008, 02:24:36 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 22, 2008, 09:42:06 AM

better quality graphics.  Still, anytime I use the PS3 controller it feels like I'm going to snap it in half, so it'll still be a 360 purchase for me but it's the first time the PS3 almost got a multiplatform game over the 360.

I forget, was Sw:TFU going to have any MP?

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 22, 2008, 02:26:34 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 22, 2008, 02:24:36 PM

I forget, was Sw:TFU going to have any MP?

Only on the Wii (where it's local MP I believe). 
Boudreaux

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 22, 2008, 02:49:33 PM »

I was surprisingly lukewarm about it too.  I was really amped about this game, but something about the feel of it is just off.  The movement seems kind of jerky and awkward, targeting the force powers seems awkward, the whole time I felt like I was fighting the controls a bit. 

It also seemed a bit repetitive, but it's one level. Hopefully the full game provides some more variety and challenge.  The combat with Jedi ought to make things much more interesting.

XBox Live:  JNacht
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 22, 2008, 03:21:49 PM »

I have a feeling the overuse of force powers is going to be way over the top.  That's not how Jedi roll. 

The Force powers being over the top is not just the whole point of the game, it's the developers' mantra ("Kicking ass with the Force").  I think the over-powering will be explained, but I could be wrong, since it sounds like you start the game with full powers enabled (no spoilers).  Regardless, I'm sure there will be a slower ramp up, and you'll be eased into the uber mode.

But remember: "Size matters not."  The game is just taking that and running with it.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 22, 2008, 03:44:14 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on August 22, 2008, 03:21:49 PM

I have a feeling the overuse of force powers is going to be way over the top.  That's not how Jedi roll. 

The Force powers being over the top is not just the whole point of the game, it's the developers' mantra ("Kicking ass with the Force").  I think the over-powering will be explained, but I could be wrong, since it sounds like you start the game with full powers enabled (no spoilers).  Regardless, I'm sure there will be a slower ramp up, and you'll be eased into the uber mode.

But remember: "Size matters not."  The game is just taking that and running with it.

in the first level you are supposed to have all the powers, but it's just a cocktease and you lose them after it.  Kinda like the first level of Metroid Prime.

As for that's not how Jedi roll, well, you're not a Jedi in this game  icon_twisted  besides, it'll be nice to be able to let loose like Mace Windu did in the first season of the animated Clone Wars series.

Because I can,
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 22, 2008, 03:51:22 PM »

....throwing a TIE made me giddy.........I bent one of the support beams outward.  Next TIE to come along=KABOOM.........

icon_eek

I had no idea.  I force-threw a crate into a passing TIE but had no idea I could throw one or bend support beams. 

This demo looks like it is going to get a lot of play. 

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 22, 2008, 04:07:16 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on August 22, 2008, 03:51:22 PM

....throwing a TIE made me giddy.........I bent one of the support beams outward.  Next TIE to come along=KABOOM.........

icon_eek

I had no idea.  I force-threw a crate into a passing TIE but had no idea I could throw one or bend support beams. 

as far as I can tell you can't throw the moving ones, but the ones hanging in the hangar bay are tossable (except for the Tie Bomber).  they're kind of hard to aim though.

Because I can,
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 22, 2008, 04:12:28 PM »

I was surprised when I was getting my butt handed to me in that first hangar bay scene in the demo and I accidentally force grabbed one of the suspended Tie Fighters and it dropped on a group of attacking stormtroopers, crushing them in the process.   eek

I like it so far.  I can understand some of the complaints being tossed around, but for the most part it fulfills my need for "baddassery".   icon_smile

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 22, 2008, 04:32:43 PM »

My complaints with it are less in the repetitive nature and more in the "this camera is fucking retarded" mode. Running down a hall I do not expect the camera to swivel around and look at my hip. Then I hit the button to reposition it and it spazzes out. And when I'm force gripping something it takes more time than it should to line it up while getting the camera just right all while 15 guys are shooting me. This is called FAIL in my book. The demo is certainly fun, don't get me wrong, but the camera sucks and the controls are right behind it. This game needs to have razor sharp controls and those simply are not there. I like throwing stuff into TIE Fighters and tossing stormtroopers off ledges, and the powers are way fun as is the way the environment reacts. So there's plenty of fun to be had, but I think the camera and the controls are going to seriously put me off as I play it.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 22, 2008, 04:37:37 PM »

Having played through and enjoyed the hell out of Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy on the original Xbox, even despite numerous issues with the games, Force Unleashed has better graphics, better controls, better force powers, better animations, better gameplay, etc.  If I could enjoy the prior games despite their flaws, with the improvements I've seen so far, I have no doubts that I will play the everloving crap out of Force Unleashed.

I am actually anxious to play the demo again tonight while preparing for tomorrow's party.  A bloody demo.  And I will probably play it 100 more times before the 16th. 

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 22, 2008, 04:42:06 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 22, 2008, 04:07:16 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on August 22, 2008, 03:51:22 PM

icon_eek

as far as I can tell you can't throw the moving ones, but the ones hanging in the hangar bay are tossable (except for the Tie Bomber).  they're kind of hard to aim though.

Actually, you can throw the TIE Bomber.  You just have to see the body of it.  You can't lock on through the wings.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: