http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 11:40:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [XBLM] Timeshift Demo now available  (Read 1491 times)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« on: August 30, 2007, 09:23:06 PM »

Hey, they delayed this enough I'm hoping it's better than the PC demo I played forever ago.

Then again, it could be over-homogenized.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 09:28:52 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on August 30, 2007, 09:23:06 PM

Hey, they delayed this enough I'm hoping it's better than the PC demo I played forever ago.

Whats it about? Shooter? LMK if its worth getting.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 09:42:01 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on August 30, 2007, 09:28:52 PM

You could try the demo and see for yourself, no?

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 10:08:19 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on August 30, 2007, 09:42:01 PM

Wouldn't it be easier for me to ask someone who wasn't going to be a smartass about it and see if it's worth the download, no?
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 10:40:18 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on August 30, 2007, 10:08:19 PM

Wouldn't it be easier for me to ask someone who wasn't going to be a smartass about it and see if it's worth the download, no?

It's a first person shooter where you can shift time.  Imagine you are shooting at an enemy....then run time backwards and let the bullets re-enter your enemy and come out backwards.  Sounds like they'll do some puzzles with some similar aspects.  Sounds like they were very ambitious, but have to see if they were too ambitious for their own good.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 11:05:04 PM »

It is incredibly shitty.

Well, it was when I played the demo.  I don't dare try the new demo.

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 11:20:50 PM »

Quote from: Graham on August 30, 2007, 10:40:18 PM

It's a first person shooter where you can shift time.  Imagine you are shooting at an enemy....then run time backwards and let the bullets re-enter your enemy and come out backwards.  Sounds like they'll do some puzzles with some similar aspects.  Sounds like they were very ambitious, but have to see if they were too ambitious for their own good.
Thanks Graham, will check it out when I get a break from all these games biggrin
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007, 12:01:17 AM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on August 30, 2007, 11:05:04 PM

It is incredibly shitty.

ouch!!! I taught it was the 360 version of Haze.

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ()  ()  ()
PS3 Spinks
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2007, 12:42:35 AM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on August 30, 2007, 11:05:04 PM

It is incredibly shitty.

Are you talking about that demo from forever ago?  They've all but apologized for that and completely revamped the game since then.  Of course, I don't know yet if they made it better.  I won't get a chance to try it until late tonight.

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2007, 01:09:16 AM »

I just never figured downloading a demo to be difficult, but different strokes for different folks I suppose.

I read an interview in either OXM or GI a few months back that talked about the revamped Timeshift, even just looking at screenshots you could see that there was a huge difference in quality.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2007, 01:49:53 AM »

Not bad.  I like running up and taking people's weapons from them, then shooting them in the head before time resumes.  Really curious as to how you are supposed to take out the mecha.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2007, 03:20:53 AM »

i saw juniordan playing this on my friends list,so i am downloading now

trailer looked great,so it will be interesting to see how it plays

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2007, 03:29:44 AM »

Enjoyed it enough to be interested in at least a rental. While it looks like the usual linear, scripted FPS the time shifting stuff looks to be fun.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2007, 05:17:41 AM »

i just played the game(someone said on major nelson that its atotally different take on the demo from ages ago)

its not bad,it isnt as clever as it thinks it is.....i dont like how you are stood about waiting for a passage to open up,i was checking around for ages until soemthing happens and then i could procede

and can someone shut that guy up from talking all the way through,as i am partially deaf the last thing i want is two people talking at the same time...ANNOYING!!!

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2007, 02:16:30 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 31, 2007, 05:17:41 AM

someone said on major nelson that its atotally different take on the demo from ages ago

Someone said that here,too.  Hello...is this thing on? icon_wink

This demo is definitely improved over the last one.  It looks nice and plays smoothly, but it also doesn't feel very special.  Also, I couldn't tell the difference, practically, between any of the time modes.  Sure you can rewind, but it only brought someone back to life one time (who died a second later) and helped clear one puzzle.  Is there a difference between stop and slow other than the rain not moving?

I'm not against it, really, but it does seem like someone said:

"Hey, they hated that last demo.  How can we change the game?"
"People liked Half Life 2, um..."
"Okay, didn't they have an oppressive leader talking on a big screen?  Let's put that in."
"FEAR is kind of popular..."
"Good, good, we've already got 'time' in our title, so let's put in those slow down dealie controls for our recon-like guy."
"Won't that make it the same, then?"
"Not if we tell 'em it's not.  Players are stupid!"
And they all laugh maniacally.

Hopefully, they'll give you more to do with those time controls in the game, but shouldn't they tease that in the demo more?

JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2007, 03:16:37 PM »

The first go around was not fun at all, I played it like a shooter. Then I tried using the time stopping things, by time I selected\figured out what to choose I had like 3sec left which I was not sure what to do next. Game did state he is automated when time thing is activated, have yet to see that. After about an hour I started getting the hang of it and it started to play out a lot better. Graphics are great weapons are cool (MP might be the meat off this game)

PS3 Spinks
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2007, 03:54:04 PM »

The character is not automated when you activate the time powers, the selection of the power used is automated (unless you override it), the AI picks the best power for the situation supposedly.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2007, 04:09:42 PM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on August 31, 2007, 03:54:04 PM

The character is not automated when you activate the time powers, the selection of the power used is automated (unless you override it), the AI picks the best power for the situation supposedly.

Ohhhhh... Thanks for clearing that up Jarrodhk. So how do you take weapons and do all that running around he dose in the opening movie? Because when in pause I seem to move in slow motion.

PS3 Spinks
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2007, 04:58:30 PM »

If you run up next to an enemy in slow/pause, you hold down 'X' and you'll grab the gun from them.  Fast forward is the running around really fast I think.  Not completely sure on that.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2007, 05:25:20 PM »

question:

do XBOX LIVE silver accounts get the demo at the same time as GOLD?,i know it used to be that if you were silver you had to wait for a week...but didnt they change that?

Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2007, 05:59:26 PM »

i dunno i thought it was pretty bad.  i was excited after watching the intro, particularly when he shoved the round back into the tank.  i lasted about 5 minutes in the demo though and thought it was annoying as hell.  that giant mech showed up, i was all excited to use reverse and as i see a round come at me, i reverse and... nothing.  several tries, still... nothing.  try to move forward and... nothing - blocked.  i guess i COULD have waited and seen if it opened up but i mean come on i had already waited. it seemed a bit pointless to be stuck there.  it just felt like nothing was happening, the coolness of the movie was just that - a movie and that it (the game) was scripted and scripted poorly at that.  i then tried the call of juarez demo and found that equally uninspired (though pretty) and clunky as hell.  so two really bad / mediocre demos made me cry a bit after the fun that was the medal of honor.  oh well.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2007, 07:57:44 PM »

Quote from: Doopri on August 31, 2007, 05:59:26 PM

i dunno i thought it was pretty bad.  i was excited after watching the intro, particularly when he shoved the round back into the tank.  i lasted about 5 minutes in the demo though and thought it was annoying as hell.  that giant mech showed up, i was all excited to use reverse and as i see a round come at me, i reverse and... nothing.  several tries, still... nothing.  try to move forward and... nothing - blocked.  i guess i COULD have waited and seen if it opened up but i mean come on i had already waited. it seemed a bit pointless to be stuck there.  it just felt like nothing was happening, the coolness of the movie was just that - a movie and that it (the game) was scripted and scripted poorly at that.  i then tried the call of juarez demo and found that equally uninspired (though pretty) and clunky as hell.  so two really bad / mediocre demos made me cry a bit after the fun that was the medal of honor.  oh well.

Yeah, five minutes.  You shouldn't be asked to wait longer than that to do something.  That's interminable.

Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2007, 08:45:43 PM »

Yeah, five minutes.  You shouldn't be asked to wait longer than that to do something.  That's interminable.

tell me about it - in a bad game it feels like an eternity!  im just glad this one made it clear nice and early before i did something as silly as rent it

on a side note, it made me realize just how great prince of persia is - the whole time mechanic IS just a cheap gimmick if done poorly and i dont think i appreciated that until now!  thanks timeshift!
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2007, 11:25:30 AM »

I just played this demo on the PS3 and I thought it was fantastic! It does have a Halflife 2 feeling to it but I like the weapons a hell of a lot better.  Exploding crossbow bolts, grenades that stick to you and give out a shock before they explode, a real meaty shotgun.  And the destructible environments are fun too smile  I give this demo two thumbs up! I had a lot more fun with it than I did with the resistance demo.  Oh and the timeshifting was fun as hell too! biggrin
Oh and this game supports the DualShock 3's as well.  Maybe that's what made it so fun! smile
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: