http://gamingtrend.com
August 28, 2014, 03:31:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [XBLA]Trials Evolution  (Read 1264 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 07, 2011, 12:51:40 PM »

Redlynx announce Trials Evolution

video in the link(doesn't show much,but what they do show the 1 or 2 seconds,looks good)
Trials HD has a successor: Trials Evolution for Xbox Live Arcade.

Evolution goes outside, swapping warehouse interiors for fresh air and a pretty day and night cycle.

Crucially, Evolution introduces a track sharing hub called Track Central. That means no more editing Friends Lists to get the latest community-made treasures thank goodness.

Finnish developer RedLynx also promises that "multiplayer comes alive". The video below shows three bikes side-by-side, racing on the same course. Gasp!

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 02:10:28 PM »

IN.  No question.  Despite hitting a difficulty wall and not being able to move on, I still really loved that game.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 04:32:57 PM »

In. Can't wait.

LiveTAG: happydog
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 04:52:46 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 07, 2011, 02:10:28 PM

IN.  No question.  Despite hitting a difficulty wall and not being able to move on, I still really loved that game.

that pretty much describes all of these 2d bmx games for me.  love them up until i can't get any further. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 10:24:16 AM »

Gametrailers has a new video showing off the game in action.  The rumored release date is April 18.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 01:54:38 PM »

Can't wait! Trials HD was such a great game.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 05:22:27 PM »

Tomorrow this gets released

CVG are calling it the greatest XBLA title ever,and give it 9.4 in their review
CVG

PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 05:35:16 PM »

Interesting.  Never tried Trials HD as I didn't think I'd be interested in the gameplay, but with comments referring to games like Limbo and Little Big Planet, perhaps I should consider giving HD a try as a gauge to see if I'd enjoy Evolution, as odds are HD might be at a discounted price. 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 12:31:43 AM »

Isn't it tomorrow yet? What is taking so long?!?  crybaby

Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 12:44:33 PM »

Downloaded and played around with it a bit this morning. Any fan of Trials HD will immediately feel comfortable and should consider this a no-brainer purchase. Between the addition of multiplayer, the track editor, and the abillity to download ANYBODY'S tracks now (not just your friends), this game is going to have huge legs.  One cool thing I read is that the track editor is actually more like a game creator in that you can create actual new game types rather than just tracks. That tells me we can expect to see platformers and shooters show up on the download list as well. There's also a "downloadable content" item right in the main menu, so I'm expecting to see DLC track packs eventually.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 02:26:40 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on April 17, 2012, 05:35:16 PM

Interesting.  Never tried Trials HD as I didn't think I'd be interested in the gameplay, but with comments referring to games like Limbo and Little Big Planet, perhaps I should consider giving HD a try as a gauge to see if I'd enjoy Evolution, as odds are HD might be at a discounted price. 

You should definitely check it out, there's probably a lite version. The thing about Trials is that the controls are just perfect, at least to me. When you mess up something, you know what you did wrong.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 02:37:26 PM »

There's a demo for Evolution available.  You should easily be able to determine whether you will like it based on that.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 06:02:30 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on April 18, 2012, 02:26:40 PM

You should definitely check it out, there's probably a lite version.

There is a demo available for every XBLA game.  Just saying.   ninja

Sandwiches do fix everything.
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2012, 06:14:54 PM »

Got to play around for 30-45 minutes this morning. My initial reaction was actually not overly positive. The first bike felt off to me. But after getting to the third bike it is feeling better and I think by the time I get to the hard and extreme tracks I will be back at home with it.

I do have three specific issues with it:

1. The rider can hit the ground a lot more that in HD. You can lay on the ground upside down and it won't crash until you try to lean forward or back.
2. While the levels are cool, I feel like there is just too much going on. I liked the warehouse in HD because it allowed you to focus on the track and not on the multitude of crap going on in the background. I think a lot of the user created tracks will not have this issue.
3. The music during play is just annoying. Glad I could turn the volume done to 0.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 06:18:48 PM by happydog » Logged

JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2012, 10:18:18 PM »

I love this game so much even though I hate it.

I curse, yell, scream, pound my couch with my fist in frustration. But I love it. And three hours later, I want more.

I hate/love you Trials Evolution.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2012, 10:51:46 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on April 18, 2012, 06:02:30 PM

Not actually true.  Just most.

Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2012, 01:35:02 PM »

Got some serious time in with this last night and it's a definite improvement over Trials HD.  In that game, I made it up to hard difficulty but just couldn't progress further than that as it didn't really do a good job of teaching you some of the omre advanced techniques.  This time around, you get a "license test" before each difficulty bump and these act as tutorials on how to get past stuff.  It's still hard as hell once you get past medium, but at least I feel like I know how to move forward now and have managed to get bronze in about half the hard maps so far.

Played a little multiplayer as well.  There seems to be a leveling mechanic in place, but I'm not sure what that level dictates other than unlocking higher difficulties and event types for multiplayer. The supercross races are pretty fun so far. Matches don't take too long and there's a decent amount of challenge there. I'm looking forward to trying out the multiplayer trials/challenge trials, as I havn't seen how those work yet.

Downlaoded a couple player maps to check out the system, and it all works great.  Easy to filter highly rated/most downloaded maps by type, creator, whatever, and downloading is a breeze.  The maps then go into a list that you access from a custom sortable list. You get medals for these maps as well, but I don't know if these go towards your total medal count (I highly doubt it as it would be too easy to jsut build a bunch of simple maps to get your count up and unlock everything).  You can also rate the maps yourself to let others know how it is. It's still early, so there's not much available yet, but I expect within a couple weeks we'll start seeing some real masterpieces.

Overall, a killer title that's going on my list of games that I will continually go back to for the forseeable future.

Pro tip on progressing: don't forget to do your tournaments and trick games for medals.  Those all go into your pool and count towards unlocking later maps/gear.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2012, 01:23:59 PM »

The other thing worth noting is the track editor is more than just a track editor, it's practically a game editor.   It's like Little Big Planet in that regard.  I've already played a Foosball table, an overhead shooter, and a FPS target range.   It's kind of bananas.
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2012, 11:50:16 PM »

Quote from: Covenant on April 19, 2012, 01:35:02 PM

Pro tip on progressing: don't forget to do your tournaments and trick games for medals.  Those all go into your pool and count towards unlocking later maps/gear.

I got a couple of gold medals on the first two tiers by going back to them after unlocking a more powerful bike.  Not sure why but I loved the "running out of gas" game, more difficult than I thought and takes a bit of technique to get anywhere while saving the gas.  I took a quick look at tournaments but they were all locked, I assume you have to me in multiplayer mode to do those?  Love the game so far but still on easy level.
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2012, 02:04:25 AM »

To unlock the tournaments you have to beat the individual levels that are in the tournaments first.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2012, 01:25:04 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on April 18, 2012, 10:51:46 PM

I was pretty sure that one of the requirements to be on XBLA is to include a demo, it's mandatory
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2012, 05:15:05 PM »

I picked the wrong bike.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2012, 11:55:26 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on April 24, 2012, 01:25:04 PM

There is a demo available for every XBLA game.  Just saying.   ninja

I was pretty sure that one of the requirements to be on XBLA is to include a demo, it's mandatory

Indeed.   disgust

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2012, 12:38:30 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on April 24, 2012, 11:55:26 PM

Quote from: Harkonis on April 24, 2012, 01:25:04 PM

There is a demo available for every XBLA game.  Just saying.   ninja

Indeed.   disgust

disgust yourself.

There have been a few instances where no trial was available at release.  Looking these up now, it appears to have been a temporary situation more than a permanent choice.

In fact, just recently, the exact same issue came up with Gotham City Imposters.

That one was a glitch, as it turns out.

siege

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2012, 12:42:51 AM »

This is my early GOTY. Love it.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2012, 03:50:23 PM »

http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2012/04/27

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2012, 05:01:52 PM »

Yeah, my only real complaint with the game is that it should be just a smidge more forgiving in those situations.  It feels like you should be able to correct yourself, but you can't.

Or make it that I crash automatically when that happens.  The tease is not cool.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2012, 05:36:54 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on April 27, 2012, 05:01:52 PM

Yeah, my only real complaint with the game is that it should be just a smidge more forgiving in those situations.  It feels like you should be able to correct yourself, but you can't.

Or make it that I crash automatically when that happens.  The tease is not cool.

The thing is...sometimes you actually *can* get out of it.  I've had some runs where I thought it was over and suddenly realized I could get out of it.  Those are moments where shouts of joy come out of my mouth.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2012, 05:43:46 PM »

Yeah, this one seems much more forgiving than Trials HD when it comes to the rider touching the ground.  It seems like unless you specifically push your rider into the ground he will keep grinding along and give you a chance to recover.

DonD

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2012, 12:14:01 PM »

I submitted my level Kinetic Energy. I rated it Hard, though I didn't think it was -that- hard. After 139 downloads, there are only 3 times on the board, one of which is mine, so maybe it is.

The editor is fantastic once you get the hang of it.

Anyway, give my level a try. Although I can't change it (once submitted, no changes), I'd still take feedback to heart for my next effort.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2012, 03:15:30 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on April 27, 2012, 05:43:46 PM

Yeah, this one seems much more forgiving than Trials HD when it comes to the rider touching the ground.  It seems like unless you specifically push your rider into the ground he will keep grinding along and give you a chance to recover.

But that chance is rarely worth it.  You slow down so much when sliding and even then things have to be really in your favor for it to work.  I'd rather not have the chance than the frustrating one, frankly.

JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2012, 09:51:16 PM »

GIGATRACK!!!

Where there is only 60 seconds between checkpoints!  icon_confused crybaby
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2012, 11:32:56 PM »

Quote from: DonD on April 28, 2012, 12:14:01 PM

I submitted my level Kinetic Energy. I rated it Hard, though I didn't think it was -that- hard. After 139 downloads, there are only 3 times on the board, one of which is mine, so maybe it is.

Anyway, give my level a try. Although I can't change it (once submitted, no changes), I'd still take feedback to heart for my next effort.

I tried to find your track by doing a search with your user name but it didn't find anything. Is there a way to do a text search for a track name?

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2012, 12:23:10 AM »

Quote from: JayDee on April 28, 2012, 09:51:16 PM

GIGATRACK!!!

Where there is only 60 seconds between checkpoints!  icon_confused crybaby

Heh, I think Gigatrack is my favorite one so far.  smile

DonD

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2012, 10:50:26 AM »

Quote from: happydog on May 01, 2012, 11:32:56 PM

Quote from: DonD on April 28, 2012, 12:14:01 PM

I tried to find your track by doing a search with your user name but it didn't find anything. Is there a way to do a text search for a track name?
Strangely enough, I don't remember seeing that as one of the choices under 'Search'. 

I put up another level Stone Mountain, which is a bit easier.  I rated it as Medium, but it's on the Easy side of Medium.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: