http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 12:55:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [XBLA]Shadow Complex  (Read 7867 times)
Caine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2009, 07:33:23 PM »

it will be hard to charge me twice for this game,  i only had 1300 points when i bought it.  in your face, ugly bug!

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2009, 07:41:53 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on August 19, 2009, 06:45:11 PM

Big problems are reported on the Xbox.com forums for people who have gone straight to downloading the full version.  Here are some sample quotes:

icongamer: this is serious problem.  I was charged twice for Shadow Complex, but only downloaded it once time.  Microsoft better make ammends or there will be legal action mark my words
MassiveQuake: WTF?!  MS blows!
SOrrYDuDe: Why did I get charged three time?!?  EDIT: Nevermind it was only twice like you guys

Here's the link to the post on Major Nelson.

oh...you bastard you....    icon_lol

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2009, 08:37:54 PM »

.... aaannnnd I'm stuck already. Got into the complex, no bad guys yet (save the for outside cutscene). A couple of security cameras. Now I'm stuck at a air vent cover that I can't break through. Color code says I need a gun, but haven't found any weapons yet.
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2009, 08:59:06 PM »

Game is great fun, really enjoying it.

Anyone had the screen go black on them though? It's happened to me twice now and I've had to exit to the dashboard.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2009, 08:59:45 PM »

Quote from: Caine on August 19, 2009, 07:33:23 PM

it will be hard to charge me twice for this game,  i only had 1300 points when i bought it.  in your face, ugly bug!

same here,i had 1305 points,i bought it straight away,didn't have any problems

EDIT:sorry Simon,no problems,played for about 2 hrs earlier today

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2009, 09:23:40 PM »

5 stars from GB
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2009, 11:30:05 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on August 19, 2009, 09:23:40 PM

http://www.gamingtrend.com/forums/index.php?topic=33980.msg582605#msg582605

icon_biggrin

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
crumsteel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2009, 01:13:42 AM »

Quote from: Jeff on August 19, 2009, 08:37:54 PM

.... aaannnnd I'm stuck already. Got into the complex, no bad guys yet (save the for outside cutscene). A couple of security cameras. Now I'm stuck at a air vent cover that I can't break through. Color code says I need a gun, but haven't found any weapons yet.

You should have had the gun already. I bet if you back track you will find the gun in a room on a computer desk in a room you have not explored yet.

From what I have seen you need to explore every option/room to get weapons/power up/grenade upgrades..... especially in the beginning from what I know.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2009, 01:34:47 AM »

Quote from: crumsteel on August 20, 2009, 01:13:42 AM

You should have had the gun already. I bet if you back track you will find the gun in a room on a computer desk in a room you have not explored yet.

From what I have seen you need to explore every option/room to get weapons/power up/grenade upgrades..... especially in the beginning from what I know.

I did backtrack and search rooms. Found a health kit in one, but never saw a gun. You can only go left, right, up, and down to change rooms, correct?
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2009, 01:49:41 AM »

Quote from: Jeff on August 20, 2009, 01:34:47 AM

You can only go left, right, up, and down to change rooms, correct?

Correct, but you can also go under (swim under, or crawl under), and go over.  It is crucial to search every room for possible alternate routes. 

This game is great.  I couldn't be happier with it.

This signature is not personal, at all.  If you're not awake enough to realize our country is being taken down by an organized effort from a puppet chimp being controlled by a movement older than me.  Wake the freaking fack up.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2009, 02:11:16 AM »

Quote from: Jeff on August 20, 2009, 01:34:47 AM

Quote from: crumsteel on August 20, 2009, 01:13:42 AM

I did backtrack and search rooms. Found a health kit in one, but never saw a gun. You can only go left, right, up, and down to change rooms, correct?

You must have missed a shaft you can crawl through.  Try going the opposite direction of the vent.  There are a couple vents on the way up to the room where the gun is.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2009, 03:34:39 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on August 20, 2009, 02:11:16 AM

You must have missed a shaft you can crawl through.  Try going the opposite direction of the vent.  There are a couple vents on the way up to the room where the gun is.

I had found the shaft, and was in it. Problem was, I thought I had dead-ended. So I thought I must've missed an item in a previous room. Finally it dawned on me to jump UP in that shaft.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2009, 11:52:22 AM »

This is the ONLY arcade game I have liked so far.  Love it.  I can going through this many times.  Plus, I understand that your leveling up carries to the next play through, and the next, and so on.    Finally, a good game this summer.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2009, 12:42:17 PM »

Quote from: Jeff on August 20, 2009, 03:34:39 AM

Quote from: EddieA on August 20, 2009, 02:11:16 AM

You must have missed a shaft you can crawl through.  Try going the opposite direction of the vent.  There are a couple vents on the way up to the room where the gun is.

I had found the shaft, and was in it. Problem was, I thought I had dead-ended. So I thought I must've missed an item in a previous room. Finally it dawned on me to jump UP in that shaft.

Don't forget you can hit the back button to bring up a map with a giant blue line showing you which room you need to get to.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2009, 02:57:26 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on August 20, 2009, 11:52:22 AM

This is the ONLY arcade game I have liked so far.  Love it.  I can going through this many times.  Plus, I understand that your leveling up carries to the next play through, and the next, and so on.    Finally, a good game this summer.

I'm really surprised you couldn't find a single other game you liked.  There have been a bunch of good games this summer.  You must have crazy or very specific standards.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2009, 03:03:39 PM »

Yeah, I think this may be the best couple of months for XBLA ever. Monkey Island, 'Splosion Man and now Shadow Complex are all top-notch entertainment. And to think, I got all 3 for a little over half the price of a full retail game. I'm exceedingly happy.

I'm just through the helicopter part of Shadow Complex, but it's definitely got that old school Metroid charm, and damn does it look good. My wife was even sucked in to watching me play-- she loves those old Metroid and Castlevania games. This is the first 360 game in a long time she's taken any interest in (besides Rock Band and American Idol).
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2009, 03:07:48 PM »

I agree, this summer has been really strong, both on the retail side and XBLA. 

This signature is not personal, at all.  If you're not awake enough to realize our country is being taken down by an organized effort from a puppet chimp being controlled by a movement older than me.  Wake the freaking fack up.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2009, 03:28:20 PM »

PLayed this a little last night.  Definitely a Metroidvania game, but to be honest, those games controlled better than this one.  There's something sloppy about this way this plays.  Cool so far, though.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2009, 03:54:15 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on August 20, 2009, 03:28:20 PM

PLayed this a little last night.  Definitely a Metroidvania game, but to be honest, those games controlled better than this one.  There's something sloppy about this way this plays.

What I find sloppy is the diagonal shooting of enemies in the background. I'm also not even attempting to play it with the d-pad so diagonal targeting of enemies above and below seems awkward compared to Super Metroid with my classic controller. For me though those are minor quibbles as just about every other element of the game is excellent, and in terms of environment, story and the sheer epic feel, it exceeds SMP IMO. I've had 1400 pnts sitting in my account for months while I waited for something worthwhile to spend them on - they were gone after about 10 minutes of playing this. slywink
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2009, 04:23:46 PM »

I decided to take a break from Trials and try the demo last night, and I ended up playing it for the next 4 hours.   Excellent game!   The controls are a little ackward in places (I'm more annoyed with the ledge hanging/climb up/drop down controls than the shooting), but still a lot of fun.   I like how it tells you whenever you pass up someone on your friends list on any particular statistic smile

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2009, 04:29:45 PM »

so i started this up last night around 10 and got completely absorbed in it until 1:30 this morning, then woke up early to play another hour before leaving for work.  i have just acquired the foam gun and some extra ammo cans for it.  ~40% items found so far, at least that much explored.

it's been an awesome game all around so far and even though i would love for the camera to zoom out or pan when enemies are off-screen, otherwise it's pretty much the perfect example of a 2d -vania game.  hell, considering how often we get these (damn near never, nowadays), this could be the last great 2d -vania's we ever get on a console.  

the controls are very responsive and i have never died due to it, as i did so often with bc: re-armed.  the graphics are sharp and detailed and even though you do see a lot of the military-industrial pallet, it's perfectly suited.  you do get some awesome outside vistas and some interesting indoor ones as well.  the indiana jones inspired moment is a great set and doesn't feel tacked on.  enemies are pretty fun to fight with and there is a good mix of easy 'ambush kills' and straight up firefights.  the bosses have been easy so far though.  either they are just a 'big guy with lots of health' or they are the puzzle type.  the puzzle aspect has not been all that difficult to figure out either, so that's good/bad.  except for one such battle, that part of the fight has also been optional, so you don't feel forced into one type of combat.

i really love the genre and have played most of the gba/ds generation of both the metroid and the castlevania games, so finding items is pretty easy and the flashlight helps immensely.  i anticipate going through for the 100% and 15% found achievements on this one.  it's too bad they didn't allow you more than one save game though, so that's a bummer.  

this ranks as one of the best games of the year and if it doesn't get the credit it deserves and a sequel, i will be very disappointed.  

DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 21, 2009, 05:32:04 AM »

Quote from: Dimmona on August 20, 2009, 04:23:46 PM

I decided to take a break from Trials and try the demo last night, and I ended up playing it for the next 4 hours.   Excellent game!   The controls are a little ackward in places (I'm more annoyed with the ledge hanging/climb up/drop down controls than the shooting), but still a lot of fun.   I like how it tells you whenever you pass up someone on your friends list on any particular statistic smile

Yeah I did this first by accident. It went from the Tutorial right into the Challenges. I was cursing as I thought it was still the tutorial when I got to the 3rd Challenge set.
Then for some odd reason the game said to continue so I said yes and it started with Claire on the cliffs instead of DC. (Possible bug?)

I started over completely and I just love this game. Great buy for $15
I really appreciate the ongoing achievement counters and how it shows where your friends are at in relation.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I was able to take out the attack chopper over the house at the lake with a grenade from the roof, not sure if people tried that yet.
It cut away to a cutscene with guys in the chopper backing away from the grenade inside the chopper

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2009, 06:28:47 AM »

Quote from: DamageInc on August 21, 2009, 05:32:04 AM

Yeah I did this first by accident. It went from the Tutorial right into the Challenges. I was cursing as I thought it was still the tutorial when I got to the 3rd Challenge set.
Then for some odd reason the game said to continue so I said yes and it started with Claire on the cliffs instead of DC. (Possible bug?)

I really appreciate the ongoing achievement counters and how it shows where your friends are at in relation.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I was able to take out the attack chopper over the house at the lake with a grenade from the roof, not sure if people tried that yet.
It cut away to a cutscene with guys in the chopper backing away from the grenade inside the chopper

Spoiler for Hiden:
Is there another way to take out the chopper?

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2009, 06:33:29 AM »

Okay, I love this game.  I would love to know what it is about this style of game that just clicks with me.  Metroid and Castlevania are up there as my favorite game series of all time and this plays right into that.  One thing it really does, though, is makes me want a new Metroid sidescroller.

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2009, 11:48:08 AM »

Nolan North's voice work again, man does that guy get around or what?  nod

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2009, 01:28:58 PM »

This game is sorely lacking in some background music.  Especially since catchy or moody background music was so essential in 2D games, particularly the Metroids and Castlevanias.  Otherwise I'm quite enjoying it. 
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2009, 01:30:28 PM »

I'm loving it too.  I don't even have the foam gun yet!

Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 21, 2009, 01:33:04 PM »

Finally finished with 100% Items and 100% map last night.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: August 21, 2009, 03:19:07 PM »

Okay, would someone help me out. 
Spoiler for Hiden:
I'm in the room with the energy shields and the guys patrolling through them.  I get past the first set no problem, open the hatch, but I can't kill either guy, and I can't jump to the next hatch door. 
What am I missing?

Help?  This is a great game, but I am really stuck.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 21, 2009, 03:41:13 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on August 21, 2009, 06:28:47 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Yeah, you can avoid it completely by reaching the other side of the lake

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 21, 2009, 03:52:33 PM »

Quote from: Dreamshadow on August 21, 2009, 03:19:07 PM

Okay, would someone help me out. 
Spoiler for Hiden:
I'm in the room with the energy shields and the guys patrolling through them.  I get past the first set no problem, open the hatch, but I can't kill either guy, and I can't jump to the next hatch door. 
What am I missing?

Help?  This is a great game, but I am really stuck.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I know it seems difficult, but you actually can jump up into the next hatch.  There's a lip on the upper left side that you need to catch.  Open the bottom door that you've crawled up to, wait for both guards to face away, step out and position yourself under, and jump straight up while facing to the left.  It certainly took me a few tries initially.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 21, 2009, 04:20:51 PM »

I meant to ask...does anyone have issues with the game seeming to go into lalaland when you try to pull up the leaderboards and sort by Friends?

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 21, 2009, 04:46:40 PM »

Quote from: DamageInc on August 21, 2009, 03:41:13 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on August 21, 2009, 06:28:47 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Yeah, you can avoid it completely by reaching the other side of the lake

Spoiler for Hiden:
Cool! Multiple choices!

Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 21, 2009, 04:59:21 PM »

Shadow Complex DLC  "a very real possibility"
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2009, 06:37:39 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on August 21, 2009, 04:20:51 PM

I meant to ask...does anyone have issues with the game seeming to go into lalaland when you try to pull up the leaderboards and sort by Friends?

Yes, that happened to me while looking at leaderboards.
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 21, 2009, 07:55:32 PM »

Absolutely love the game, only put in about 4 hours so far.  It's got that Metroid feel as you slowly power up, and that MGS kind of stealth game play as well.  I'm finding myself sneaking up on guards and doing melee more than shooting.  I will admit that the shooting is a bit wacky, but with unlimited ammo it really isn't a concern.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Just picked up the full powered suit, got to say it's just all kinds of awesome.  When you punch a guard I love how he goes flying.  Love the jump boots as well, hopefully something to add more "oomph" to them or outright flying would be nice!  The underwater mask makes exploring those deeper areas a breeze, and I have to say it was pretty surreal to go back through and office I recently flooded to find bodies, desks, books, etc just floating everywhere.  Foam cannon is interesting, definitely useful to freeze turrets or create temporary bridges.  The laser rifle, or whatever it is, is a death dealer.  I love jumping into a group of them, melee one, then annihilate the rest.  Currenty looking hard for the rocker launcher, and I've tried to spend alot of time to pick up as many upgrades as possible.

At 1200 MS points, it's a flat out steal.  Dare we say the best XBL bargain ever?

disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 22, 2009, 07:07:10 AM »

i played the demo this evening, then immediately handed over my points for the full game...totally sucked me in for the last few hours.  i've played to just past the point where you get the foam gun and i've loved every minute of the game so far.  the action is surprisingly fun, the story is interesting, and the graphics are incredible for an XBLA title.  i'm totally hooked right now icon_cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 22, 2009, 09:43:53 PM »

Is everyone else having problems with the leaderboards?  Right now, all the leaderboards are empty, and when you try to access certain leaderboards, it freezes up and you have to return to the desktop.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 23, 2009, 02:11:25 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on August 22, 2009, 09:43:53 PM

Is everyone else having problems with the leaderboards?  Right now, all the leaderboards are empty, and when you try to access certain leaderboards, it freezes up and you have to return to the desktop.

You are not alone....I asked this very thing about 5 posts up.  Someone else has that issue as well.

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: August 23, 2009, 03:00:14 AM »

Yep, it's a known problem at this point.  Googling "Shadow Complex leaderboard" gets all kinds of hits.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: