http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 07:13:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [XBLA]castlevania:SOTN now up  (Read 3040 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 21, 2007, 09:07:43 AM »

castlevania is now up on marketplace,....at a massive 95mb!!!

800 points and in HD

EDIT:it has a pretty bad border(more than usual)although it has the characters of castlevania on it...may not be an issue,or much of one for you NTSC players

you get 15 minutes on the trial
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 09:27:41 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 12:17:56 PM »

Hmmm its tempting even though I dont really care for Castlevania.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 12:27:06 PM »

It is the best castlevania game out there, bar none.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 12:30:24 PM »

Nonsense, don't let the nostalgia get the best of you. I played Symphony of the Night after playing Dawn of Sorrow, and while SotN had a superior presentation (apart from the godawful voiceovers), the boss monsters were hideously unbalanced (most of them could be killed in seconds by just whacking away at them without even bothering to dodge their attacks for the most part) and the save points are horribly placed (reaching the boss in the top of the castle requires about 10-15 minutes of difficult playtime from the nearest save point). It's still a great game, but it's definitely not the best Castlevania game, perhaps not even the second best.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 12:37:27 PM »

DoS was over too damned quick. The only CS game I haven't played was the newest DS one (portait of ruin) and IIRC, SOTN is one of the longest games with far more play time and stuff to explore. Plus, UPSIDEDOWN CASTLE FTW. biggrin

... now, did they give us the MP3 that was on the original PS1 disk when you put it into a CD player? slywink

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 12:53:15 PM »

Just to help people out with that, here's a table i built from a search result from www.gamerankings.com ...
GameRanking Game Title PlatformP/Reviews
--Castlevania: Symphony of the Night Xbox 360 15
--Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles PSP 22
--Konami Collector's Series: Castlevania & Contra PC 1
93.50%Castlevania: Symphony of the Night PlayStation 28
90.30%Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow DS 186
88.00%Castlevania: Circle of the Moon Game Boy Advance 76
87.90%Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow Game Boy Advance 106
85.60%Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin DS 143
85.30%Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance Game Boy Advance 83
83.50%Castlevania Mobile 9
81.70%Castlevania Dracula X SNES 5
80.00%Castlevania Double Pack Game Boy Advance 5
78.50%Castlevania: Lament of Innocence PlayStation 2 200
75.00%Super Castlevania IV SNES 7
73.50%Castlevania Chronicles PlayStation 38
72.70%Castlevania Nintendo 64 21
72.10%Castlevania: Curse of Darkness Xbox 99
71.40%Classic NES Series: Castlevania Game Boy Advance 30
70.70%Castlevania: Curse of Darkness PlayStation 2 162
66.40%Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness Nintendo 64 13
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 12:57:02 PM by Purge » Logged

Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 01:04:46 PM »

While I personally felt that SoTN is the best Castlevania game (though I haven't played it since it was first released), I'm not sure if Gamerankings is the way to prove it. As far as I can remember, SoTN was the first Metriod-type game since, well, Super Metroid and a lot of its praise was due to that fact.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 01:11:48 PM »

While that list is nice, I'd rank Castlevania 3 on the NES way up there. It's the best (IMO) of the classic Castlevanias. icon_biggrin

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2007, 01:15:44 PM »

I wasn't showing proof, just media consensus. Tongue

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007, 01:21:17 PM »

I would just be wary of using Game Rankings for PS1-era games.  The sample size for SotN is much lower than the more recent Castlevania games. 
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2007, 01:32:57 PM »

I don't need GR to tell you that SoTN back then was a 95% AAA+ title. Tongue I figure those numbers pretty damned conservative. slywink The fact that there ARE 28 registered reviews means that we aren't talking a tiny sample size.

If it makes it to 85% on the XBLA version, that sure says something about the game, being that it's almost 10 years old.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2007, 01:37:05 PM »

There were 3 80%, 9 90% and 5 100% in their reviews for the PS1 version. Not too damned shabby. Tongue

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2007, 02:31:13 PM »

I strongly believe a lot of those reviews are based on how people remember the game, not how they would rate it if they played it again today. The things I mentioned in the post above are really bad for the game, especially the poor game balance and bad save point placement. It's obvious from recent Castlevania games on the DS that they've learned a lot since then.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2007, 02:51:32 PM »

I have to agree with Tilt on this that it's primarily nostalgia tinging reviews for older titles. Hell, I've fallen victim to that myself regarding FFVI on the DS. I still love it, but I'm more experienced now when I play it and as such I've blown through it. I'm sure when I replay SotN I'll find things to bitch about and wonder aloud how I ever enjoyed X. I would actually put Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest ahead of it, more for personal reasons than anything else, followed quickly by Castlevania 3.

Speaking of which, isn't it high time that a Castlevania game featured Simon Belmont or a Belmont again? icon_wink

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2007, 02:55:28 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on March 21, 2007, 02:51:32 PM

I have to agree with Tilt on this that it's primarily nostalgia tinging reviews for older titles. Hell, I've fallen victim to that myself regarding FFVI on the DS. I still love it, but I'm more experienced now when I play it and as such I've blown through it. I'm sure when I replay SotN I'll find things to bitch about and wonder aloud how I ever enjoyed X. I would actually put Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest ahead of it, more for personal reasons than anything else, followed quickly by Castlevania 3.

Have you replayed Castlevania 2 or 3 recently? If not, how do you know that you aren't aggrandazing those games based on nostalgia? I used to love Castlevania 2 as a kid (though I got stuck at the heart part, I believe); but I went back and played it a month or two ago and it was no where near what I remembered.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2007, 03:03:04 PM »

Castlevania 2 was one of the great gaming experiences on the NES for me.  I went back and tried to replay it again a few years back and quickly stopped before that treasured memory was marred.  Hasn't really held up nearly as well as I thought. 

CV3 holds up better for no other reason than it wasn't nearly as ambitious as Simon's Quest.  But with Super Castlevania IV out there, there really isn't much reason to play Part 3.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2007, 03:04:09 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on March 21, 2007, 02:55:28 PM

Have you replayed Castlevania 2 or 3 recently? If not, how do you know that you aren't aggrandazing those games based on nostalgia? I used to love Castlevania 2 as a kid (though I got stuck at the heart part, I believe); but I went back and played it a month or two ago and it was no where near what I remembered.

I think that was part of the point WBS was making.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2007, 03:04:21 PM »

The only thing that I'm not so sure about is the border.  Can anyone who's actually played it give us some impressions?

glyc

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2007, 03:04:41 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on March 21, 2007, 09:07:43 AM

EDIT:it has a pretty bad border(more than usual)although it has the characters of castlevania on it...may not be an issue,or much of one for you NTSC players

Didn't they say they were 'reworking' the game so people with widescreen could have the entire playfield on the screen without stretching the image?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2007, 03:07:13 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on March 21, 2007, 03:04:41 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on March 21, 2007, 09:07:43 AM

Didn't they say they were 'reworking' the game so people with widescreen could have the entire playfield on the screen without stretching the image?

I think they're doing that on PSP but I don't recall hearing that about the XBLA version.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2007, 04:09:32 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on March 21, 2007, 03:03:04 PM

CV3 holds up better for no other reason than it wasn't nearly as ambitious as Simon's Quest.  But with Super Castlevania IV out there, there really isn't much reason to play Part 3.

I actually never enjoyed Super Castlevania IV as much as Castlevania III. I don't know why; something about III just made it a superb old-style Castlevania. icon_biggrin

As for nostalgia influencing the score for SotN, I never played SotN until two years after I picked up a PS2, so it was quite old already by then, and I loved the heck out of it. It's my favorite Castlevania game. I don't think nostalgia is what made that game great. icon_wink

unbreakable
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2007, 04:34:26 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on March 21, 2007, 03:03:04 PM

Castlevania 2 was one of the great gaming experiences on the NES for me.  I went back and tried to replay it again a few years back and quickly stopped before that treasured memory was marred.  Hasn't really held up nearly as well as I thought. 

I bought CV2 back in the day; I got stuck right in the beginning, and couldn't figure out what the hell to do.  Had I rented it, I would have never gone back, but I guess luckily since I owned it, I went back and tried again every so often.  Eventually I figured out what to do (may have seen it in a magazine or something) and got to play the rest of the game.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2007, 05:29:57 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 21, 2007, 03:04:09 PM

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on March 21, 2007, 02:55:28 PM

I think that was part of the point WBS was making.

Yes it was. I haven't played those games in years but I look back fondly on them. Were I to play them again now, said memory would be tarnished. I prefer the happy memory. icon_wink

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2007, 01:08:24 AM »

I never played this game back in the day.

First observation:  is it possible that this is the worst voice acting of all time?  Where's the mute?
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2007, 01:20:07 AM »

Quote from: Brendan on March 22, 2007, 01:08:24 AM

First observation:  is it possible that this is the worst voice acting of all time?  Where's the mute?

Yes. Yes, it is the worst voice acting of all time.

But the game's awesomeness is just that awesome that you forget about the voice acting soon enough!

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2007, 01:22:07 AM »

Upcoming PSP version gets all new voice acting and translation. 
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2007, 01:49:47 AM »

Quote from: Brendan on March 22, 2007, 01:08:24 AM

It's bad, but it has nothing on Resident Evil.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2007, 02:40:21 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on March 22, 2007, 01:22:07 AM

Upcoming PSP version gets all new voice acting and translation. 

And this is why I am passing on the XBL version, and getting it on the PSP along with the original Rondo of Blood (which is actually the best Castlevania ever made) along with the Rondo of Blood Update/Remake.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2007, 03:15:08 AM »

So I played about every iteration of Castlevania on the NES/SNES/DS/etc, but missed SOTN due to never owning a PS1.  As a virgin SOTN virgin will I still like it, or does it not hold up well to the DS titles?

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2007, 03:18:23 AM »

Its good ol PS1 Castlevania: SOTN with some weird little changes.

A) The Nova Skeletons no longer give bonkers XP to level like mad.

B) There are more mobs in the Inverted Castle, I assume to increase difficulty

C) Resistances are more important now, especially in Inverted.

D) They didn't fix the 100 Blades Sword...its still a game breaker frown

Other than that, its the classic game. Doesn't look as great as I hoped, but since Ive beaten the game more times than I can count, I was able to fly through it today and am happy to report its a wonderful port. Hope people who missed it the first time are able to enjoy it!
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2007, 11:59:16 AM »

I think we're arguing amongst masterpieces here. I don't have a 360, but I've recently thought about trying to track down a copy of SoTN to play on my PS2. I have no doubt it would be worth the effort and I think anyone with a 360 is going to be glad to get this game.

I'll just throw in my own 2 cents in here and say that Circle of the Moon and Aria of Sorrow running on my GameBoy player and being displayed on my Sony HDTV are true works of art. 2 of the best Castlevania games ever IMHO.

The Legacy of Darkness game on that list makes me snicker, it was definitely a bit of a stinker.  Roll Eyes
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2007, 04:40:20 PM »

SOTN is the first castlevania game i have played and i am quite enjoying it...i just got past my first boss(which cheated and had 2 bosses),and got the achievement

what number is this in the series?

and yeah,the voice acting is pretty over the top...but that makes me like it more,LOL

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
unbreakable
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2007, 04:44:32 PM »

Does anyone know if Live for Windows is going to let you download Live Arcade games?
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2007, 04:45:54 PM »

I downloaded this last night sight-unseen based on the positive buzz floating around the forums, and even though the graphics are dated and the voice acting is some of the worst I've ever heard in a game, I'm definitely enjoying it.  I miss the classic 2D side-scrollers of old such as Metroid, Mega Man, Altered Beast, Fantasy Zone, etc, (I tried to get into Alien Hominid because of its style and side-scrolling action, but it is way too difficult for me to enjoy) and I always liked the Castlevania series from my first experience with it on the original NES, so this is definitely a much-appreciated addition to the Live Arcade library.  I only played for a few minutes, but this looks like it will easily be worth the $10 price tag, and I forsee myself replaying the game a number of times if only to work on the various achievements.  At least this makes up for my horrible disappointment with TMNT.  

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2007, 04:47:22 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on March 22, 2007, 04:44:32 PM

Does anyone know if Live for Windows is going to let you download Live Arcade games?

Uno is coming out later this year for PC. But Live for Windows and Live for the 360 will have different arcade selections as far as I know.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2007, 04:49:09 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on March 22, 2007, 04:47:22 PM

Quote from: unbreakable on March 22, 2007, 04:44:32 PM

Uno is coming out later this year for PC. But Live for Windows and Live for the 360 will have different arcade selections as far as I know.

What exactly is "Live for Windows"?  I'm assuming I've missed an article or announcement either on the forums or on varous gaming sites, and I'm curious about what "Live for Windows" is.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2007, 04:50:34 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on March 22, 2007, 04:40:20 PM

what number is this in the series?

Number 5 or 6, I think.  There were three NES Castlevanias, Super Castlevania IV on SNES then it gets kind of fuzzy:

There was Rondo of Blood on the Turbografx CD but it was never released here (it's being remade for the PSP this year and will also include a localization of the original).  Rondo of Blood is considered one of the best CV games.  There was a SNES Dracula X which was supposed to be a sort of remake of Rondo of Blood but it wasn't well though of.  Then there was also CV: Bloodlines for the Genesis.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2007, 04:57:51 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on March 22, 2007, 04:49:09 PM

What exactly is "Live for Windows"?  I'm assuming I've missed an article or announcement either on the forums or on varous gaming sites, and I'm curious about what "Live for Windows" is.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_for_Windows

Cross-platform gaming, shared with your XBL gamertag, achievements, etc.  No additional cost if you already have an XBL gold account (which you must have, given all the stories I read...)
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2007, 06:20:27 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on March 22, 2007, 04:57:51 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on March 22, 2007, 04:49:09 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_for_Windows

Cross-platform gaming, shared with your XBL gamertag, achievements, etc.  No additional cost if you already have an XBL gold account (which you must have, given all the stories I read...)

Ah, it's for Windows Vista, which I don't have.  Just curious if it would be something I could try, but without Vista, and without any plans to pick up Vista, I guess I'll be sticking with just playing on my 360.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2007, 06:24:15 PM »

This might be my first XBL Arcade purchase since Uno!

gellar
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: