http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 07:22:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [XBLA] Trials HD  (Read 2530 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: June 06, 2009, 03:41:11 AM »

play Ironsides or Perry Mason!  ok, so it's actually about motocross riding, but I've heard good things about the PC version of this game and it sounds like it will be the perfect edition for XBLA.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 03:57:54 AM »

The PC version was quite fun, and while I was playing it I kept thinking to myself that it would make a great XBLA game.  Hopefully it finds an audience there.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 03:06:30 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on June 06, 2009, 03:57:54 AM

The PC version was quite fun, and while I was playing it I kept thinking to myself that it would make a great XBLA game.  Hopefully it finds an audience there.

The PC version is very challenging, but so easy to keep trying on that the challenge only matters a little.  It might be easier with a controller.  I may give it a go if it's not frustrating.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 02:22:44 AM »

Trials HD also includes a level-editor with which players can create their own tracks and freely share them with their friends.

So IN you would not believe. I am a huge fan of the PC version, and an editor is really the only thing that is missing. Now the only question is can the controller work well with this game (it should be perfect).

LiveTAG: happydog
crumsteel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 04:51:09 PM »

Anybody get Trials HD yet? It looks like a lot of fun, similar to game Pain on the ps3.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 05:08:02 PM »

Quote from: crumsteel on August 12, 2009, 04:51:09 PM

Anybody get Trials HD yet? It looks like a lot of fun, similar to game Pain on the ps3.

Wow, so not similar.  Except that the guy gets ragdolly hurt, I guess.  Otherwise, not at all.

Versions have been out on PC for a while, and if you're in the camp who was wondering if they should get this if they have the PC version, you should know that it looks like it's a whole new version of the game, not a port.  All new levels.

According to IGN's review (8.3, BTW):

This series has been available on PC for a few years with the original Trials and its sequel, Trials 2 Second Edition. Even though the XBLA version isn't called Trials 3, it is the third game in the series and offers new levels and improvements to the editor.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 05:09:46 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 05:30:17 PM »

How many points?
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 05:40:58 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on August 12, 2009, 05:30:17 PM

How many points?

1200   crybaby

Ok, well I tried it, and it's pretty damn cool, I have to say. I have the steam version (trials 2 I guess), and this just looks outstanding and plays extremely well with the 360 controller. I may actually bite.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 06:00:17 PM by Jeff » Logged
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 06:13:43 PM »

Quote from: Jeff on August 12, 2009, 05:40:58 PM

Quote from: kronovan on August 12, 2009, 05:30:17 PM

How many points?

1200   crybaby

Ok, well I tried it, and it's pretty damn cool, I have to say. I have the steam version (trials 2 I guess), and this just looks outstanding and plays extremely well with the 360 controller. I may actually bite.

1200...hmm... that's about $20 here in Canuckistan. How does Trials 2 compare with the Trials HD demo. I'd much rather pay $11 as opposed to $20.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, 06:30:23 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on August 12, 2009, 06:13:43 PM

1200...hmm... that's about $20 here in Canuckistan. How does Trials 2 compare with the Trials HD demo. I'd much rather pay $11 as opposed to $20.

I couldn't really say, as my experience with Trials 2 is very limited, as I got very frustrated with the controls. I only paid $2.49 for it one of those crazy steam sales.

1200 pts is $15 USD, and that's a bit higher than I was expecting. The controls on the 360 do seem excellent to me, though. There's also an 'attract mode' they show you as you exit the demo, and it just looks crazy fun.

Problem is: Shadow Complex hits next week (I think). then there's Madden 10 this Friday, and Champions Online Sept 1st. At least Trials HD is 'pick up and play' game that you can have quick sessions with.
crumsteel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2009, 12:16:34 AM »

This game is a blast. Never played the pc versions. The levels are great and it is fun to sit down for 20 - 30 minutes and try to get through the next course.

From my previous comment, it is nothing like pain.More of a skill of balance and finesse on the bike not destroying everything.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2009, 01:14:56 PM »

"Welcome to your new addiction" says Ars Technica
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2009, 02:15:57 PM »

Quote from: Jeff on August 13, 2009, 01:14:56 PM

"Welcome to your new addiction" says Ars Technica

They're not kidding.  The PC version was addictive, but something about the ease of controls and a couch have had me playing the 360 version like crazy.  I'm sure the difficulty wall is coming, and it'll slow me down, but I'm loving it.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2009, 02:20:37 PM »

I've got the PC version, but haven't played it.  Can you not use a 360 controller on that version?

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2009, 03:32:25 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on August 13, 2009, 02:20:37 PM

I've got the PC version, but haven't played it.  Can you not use a 360 controller on that version?

You can, but it's just a little off, compared to the 360 version.  I'm not sure I can put my finger on why.  It may have to do with the range of lean (or how much it affects the bike's tilt) or a slight change to the speed, but I'm really not sure.  The graphics and camera are also improved, and that may have something to do with it.

BTW, just remember that the 360 version is a whole new game (with all kinds of new stuff like fantastic mini-games and tournaments).

happydog

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2009, 06:47:52 PM »

I did not know this came out... nice. Now I just have to find some time to play. I wish I could say it is other games keeping me away, but it isn't.  icon_frown

marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2009, 07:55:52 PM »

This is pretty good but with Shadow Complex around the corner I am sceptical.

Dedicated Gamer - XBL Profile DreamsurferSWE
XFire tag - dreamsurfer
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2009, 08:37:13 PM »

I tried the demo with no clue as to what the game or series was. The first tutorial you basically just hold the right trigger and if you don't touch anything else you still beat the level. So my first thought was "WTF? Why would I want to pay money to play this?" Then I tried the next level. Imagine my surprise when I face-planted into a raised platform. The more I played the demo the more I really liked the game, but I just can't justify the purchase with all of the new games coming out.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2009, 09:28:49 PM »

Quote from: msteelers on August 13, 2009, 08:37:13 PM

I tried the demo with no clue as to what the game or series was. The first tutorial you basically just hold the right trigger and if you don't touch anything else you still beat the level. So my first thought was "WTF? Why would I want to pay money to play this?" Then I tried the next level. Imagine my surprise when I face-planted into a raised platform. The more I played the demo the more I really liked the game, but I just can't justify the purchase with all of the new games coming out.

Yep, that's it. Some hard decisions to make. Got Madden tomorrow, Shadow Complex next Wed. Champions Online coming up. I'll wait on this one to see if they put it on sale.

I really, really wish MS would adopt Steam's 'less is more' philosophy on game pricing and sales.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2009, 10:20:49 PM »

Quote from: Jeff on August 13, 2009, 09:28:49 PM

Quote from: msteelers on August 13, 2009, 08:37:13 PM

Yep, that's it. Some hard decisions to make. Got Madden tomorrow, Shadow Complex next Wed. Champions Online coming up. I'll wait on this one to see if they put it on sale.

I really, really wish MS would adopt Steam's 'less is more' philosophy on game pricing and sales.

I disagree! I'm all for lots of good releases, and that's the problem we're having lately, which is good.  I think it's too easy to get locked into the "must buy at launch or not at all" mentality of the current game industry, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with waiting to buy.  Too many games out right now? Hold off on some and play them later.  But I'd never say "man, I wish they'd release fewer games that I want to play".

Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2009, 01:58:43 AM »

What I meant by Steam's "less is more" philosophy, is that they put games on sale at crazy low prices, and the publishers sell so many units that they end up making more money than if the games were at full price.

1000 units sold at $49 = $49,000 in sales

10,000 units sold at $9.99 = $99,900 in sales

Less ($9.99 price) is more ($99,000 sales)

These are the kind of exponential gains that Steam has been seeing by dramatically lowering prices.
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2009, 07:51:31 PM »

So far I like this version of Trials... but not quite as much as Trials 2. Either I played so much of 2 that I am just that good and most of the tracks are too easy for me, or they made a lot of easy tracks for the masses. Not that I regret the purchase, I still have a long way to go to get everything to 0 faults. Yes, I will do it!  nod

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2009, 09:45:48 PM »

Quote from: happydog on August 17, 2009, 07:51:31 PM

So far I like this version of Trials... but not quite as much as Trials 2. Either I played so much of 2 that I am just that good and most of the tracks are too easy for me, or they made a lot of easy tracks for the masses. Not that I regret the purchase, I still have a long way to go to get everything to 0 faults. Yes, I will do it!  nod

No you won't...  slywink

Not sure how much I'm enjoying this, I thought it would have a bit more to do with racing and less to do with "lets figure out how to get this bike over a 3 foot verticle wall" puzzles.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2009, 09:54:29 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on August 17, 2009, 09:45:48 PM

No you won't...  slywink

Not sure how much I'm enjoying this, I thought it would have a bit more to do with racing and less to do with "lets figure out how to get this bike over a 3 foot verticle wall" puzzles.

A long time ago, I observed happydog had 58 hours in Trials 2. I have no doubt he will do it.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2009, 10:09:36 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on August 17, 2009, 09:54:29 PM

No you won't...  slywink

A long time ago, I observed happydog had 58 hours in Trials 2. I have no doubt he will do it.
I don't think even 58 hours would be enough to get through everything with 0 faults.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2009, 11:19:16 PM »

Quote from: Jeff on August 14, 2009, 01:58:43 AM

What I meant by Steam's "less is more" philosophy, is that they put games on sale at crazy low prices, and the publishers sell so many units that they end up making more money than if the games were at full price.

These are the kind of exponential gains that Steam has been seeing by dramatically lowering prices.

Dude this is not some $60 game its only $15 freaking dollars...

I love some of these mid-range titles that are coming out. I look at spending $45 dollars to get BF 1943, Trials HD, and the upcoming Shadow Complex. Thats allot of quality gaming for less than one regular priced title. Great deals already IMO.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2009, 11:48:10 PM »

Quote from: Jumangi on August 17, 2009, 11:19:16 PM

I love some of these mid-range titles that are coming out. I look at spending $45 dollars to get BF 1943, Trials HD, and the upcoming Shadow Complex. Thats allot of quality gaming for less than one regular priced title. Great deals already IMO.

So 1,000 sold at $15, $15,000.  Still less than $99,000.  And you better believe the numbers go up a lot, even for a $5 drop.  The exact numbers may be way off the example, but use your imagination.

Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2009, 11:58:03 PM »

No argument that they are great deals. I'm in on Shadow Complex on day one. My example was not specifically aimed at Trials HD, though I think it still applies. My statement was about Microsoft in general.

The Steam sales numbers prove what I said was true. Gabe Newell (head of Valve/Steam) wrote a big article on it, and explained how exponentially the sales rise with lower prices. At least on Steam. These are purely digital products, so there's no loss with manufacturing costs by reducing the price in order to net more overall gross sales.

The cost of the game doesn't really matter. In fact, I believe it was Trials 2 that Gabe mentioned in one of his prime examples, saying that the game ended up making more money for the developer when they put it at $2.49 (which is when I bought it) than it did when it was at regular price, whatever that was, I think it was $10.

A whole lot more people will "bite" at $2.49 than at $10, but obviously the number must be somewhere like in previous example, like 5 or 10 to 1. And I think part of this process is leaving the game at a higher price for a while, to build up a wow factor for when it's cut 50 or 75%.

I know i've bought games on steam's crazy sales that I would never have given a 2nd glance to at full price.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2009, 12:40:45 AM »

At least MS is experimenting with this through their Deal of the Week program.  I imagine that's going pretty well for them.

happydog

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2009, 07:22:26 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on August 17, 2009, 10:09:36 PM

Quote from: coopasonic on August 17, 2009, 09:54:29 PM

No you won't...  slywink

I don't think even 58 hours would be enough to get through everything with 0 faults.

Maybe not. But I bet at 62 hours that there will only be one track that I haven't got 0 faults on. Inferno II!

You can see my current standings with Trials 2 by going to this link http://www.redlynxtrials.com/ProfileBrowse.action and searching for happydog. Inferno is the only non-download track that I don't have 0 faults on. 62 hours.

Actually, I don't know if I will ever be able to actually play that much TrialsHD. I just don't get to take over the tv that much.  disgust

happydog

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2009, 07:56:44 PM »

Played a little bit last night to move myself up the leaderboards. Managed to get to the top on a lot of tracks for my friends list. I am very happy with my Down the Stairs score.  icon_smile

Is anyone gong to be building any custom tracks. I might take a shot at it myself at some point. Unfortunately the sharing is severely crippled, which is too bad because it could have been the best feature of the game.

Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2009, 08:05:13 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on August 18, 2009, 12:40:45 AM

At least MS is experimenting with this through their Deal of the Week program.  I imagine that's going pretty well for them.

IMHO MS needs to discount their sales a bit more ala Steam.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2009, 08:17:53 PM »

Quote from: Greggy_D on August 19, 2009, 08:05:13 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on August 18, 2009, 12:40:45 AM

IMHO MS needs to discount their sales a bit more ala Steam.

Well, I can't say I expect them to jump in whole hog without seeing how well it works on a limited basis, like with Deal of the Week.  There have been some good things on there, and there have been bad ones (like this week's premium dashboard "deal").  I'm assuming that if the numbers performed in a similar fashion to what happened on Steam, we'll see it more widespread in the near future.  But their model is not the same as Steam's, so it's not a guarantee.

Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2009, 10:59:22 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on August 17, 2009, 11:48:10 PM

So 1,000 sold at $15, $15,000.  Still less than $99,000.  And you better believe the numbers go up a lot, even for a $5 drop.  The exact numbers may be way off the example, but use your imagination.

So if its only 5 cents then they will sell like a million and...its not a linear progression guy. They might sell X more to make up the diffrence and they might not.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2009, 11:23:07 PM »

Quote from: Jumangi on August 19, 2009, 10:59:22 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on August 17, 2009, 11:48:10 PM

So if its only 5 cents then they will sell like a million and...its not a linear progression guy. They might sell X more to make up the diffrence and they might not.

Which is why they're testing it out with the Deal of the Week, "guy."  To see if the numbers are sustainable.

Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2009, 12:06:16 AM »

Quote from: Jumangi on August 19, 2009, 10:59:22 PM

Please read this:

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/57308

If you don't feel like it, here's the quick summation:

"Valve: Left 4 Dead Half-price Sale Saw 3000% Increase, Beat Launch Numbers"

edit: here's the notes on Gabe's keynote speech on this subject:

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/693342/Live-Blog-DICE-2009-Keynote---Gabe-Newell-Valve-Software.html

During the 2008 Holiday sales:

10% sale = 35% increase in sales (real dollars, not units shipped)
25% sale = 245% increase in sales
50% sale = 320% increase in sales
75% sale = 1470% increase in sales

At 75% off, they are making 15% more money than they were at full price.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 12:09:17 AM by Jeff » Logged
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2009, 12:25:24 AM »

Who the hell calls people "guy?" grumble...grumble

happydog

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2009, 05:33:55 AM »

Could you 'guys' take this conversation to a new thread and let the Trials shine through in here? Thanks. Feel free to link to your new thread as I would like to follow it.

Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2009, 03:16:32 AM »

I started goofing around with Trials 2 on steam, and was surprised that I started getting the hang of it. Rather than play that on a keyboard, I went back to the 360 and Trials HD demo, and I'll be damn something didn't click -- started getting a few golds, and that was that. Had to have it. the desire to shave another 0.5 off your time is very addicting.
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2009, 04:48:04 AM »

Quote from: Jeff on August 21, 2009, 03:16:32 AM

I started goofing around with Trials 2 on steam, and was surprised that I started getting the hang of it. Rather than play that on a keyboard, I went back to the 360 and Trials HD demo, and I'll be damn something didn't click -- started getting a few golds, and that was that. Had to have it. the desire to shave another 0.5 off your time is very addicting.

I find the game incredibly addicting. Once you get over the hump of learning it, it is hard to let go.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: