http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 07:43:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [XBLA] Ticket to Ride Discussion  (Read 3421 times)
Dreamshadow
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: June 19, 2008, 07:14:53 PM »

Since they have added a Ticket to Ride trailer to XBLM, does this mean the game is coming soon?   Anyone have a line on this one?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 03:38:33 PM by Dreamshadow » Logged

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 07:59:53 PM »

Yep.  Here is what I know -
- "Late Summer"
- Four Player vs. Mode over Live
- XBL Vision Camera Support
- Four Player Local vs mode

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 09:21:17 PM »

I just ordered a Ticket to Ride card game that is supposed to be very good, too.

What a great game.  This was a big hit with my in-laws when we played it.  I hope the expansions and other versions become available down the road.

I also hope it's not as bad as Lost Cities.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 10:13:31 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 19, 2008, 09:21:17 PM

I just ordered a Ticket to Ride card game that is supposed to be very good, too.

What a great game.  This was a big hit with my in-laws when we played it.  I hope the expansions and other versions become available down the road.

I also hope it's not as bad as Lost Cities.

Yeah, the Europe Map seems to be better liked than the US one, but either way.  I'm just glad it has local multiplayer.  Catan was great, but the lack of local play sucked.  The wife and I couldn't play together.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
QP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 10:56:20 PM »

Yeah I wish it was TTR: Europe (the one we have); the guy at the game shop said that the original TTR was a bit too simplistic (and that another one was more complicated than TTR Europe)

-QP
Currently Playing:
[PC]Oblivion Again (OOO this time)
Lorini
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 12:54:22 AM »

TTR original has blocking issues leading to the tough decision of do you piss off Grandma to stop her from reaching an obvious destination? If you all agree to play nice nice then TTR original is probably the better game. TTR Marklin is really a gamer's game, more complicated. I like TTR Europe best because it has a way to mitigate the blocking issue.

Now Playing:

PC: SupCom 2, DoW CR, Spectromancer
Xbox Live: Panzer General, DJ Hero, Forza 3
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 02:31:50 AM »

Quote from: Lorini on June 20, 2008, 12:54:22 AM

TTR original has blocking issues leading to the tough decision of do you piss off Grandma to stop her from reaching an obvious destination? If you all agree to play nice nice then TTR original is probably the better game. TTR Marklin is really a gamer's game, more complicated. I like TTR Europe best because it has a way to mitigate the blocking issue.

Aye, if they include the station mechanic in the XBLA US map then it's okay...and yes, I'd pay a little more for them to add the other map.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 07:58:16 PM »

I find that a lot of the issues with TTR can be solved with the 1910 Expansion.  If you have the original TTR, then you owe it to yourself to get the expansion.  It's worth it for the normal sized cards alone.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
QP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 11:54:02 AM »

Ah it's stations that are extra in TTL:E...yeah it would suck without it.  Geez on XBL you could really get the swearing moving without 'em.  saywhat

-QP
Currently Playing:
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 06:52:06 PM »

Turns out Ticket to Ride is out this week!  So, yes, it is soon!

Also, according to this forum posting: http://forums.xbox.com/20968220/ShowPost.aspx, the achievements make mention of both the European board and the 1910 Expansion.  We'll have to see if that is based on fact or not, though.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 07:03:14 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 09:19:57 PM »

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/ticket-to-ride/achievements/

That site doesn't usually post incorrect info (I think it is datamined from somewhere) so it looks like we do get both boards.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 09:24:21 PM »

Quote from: Dreamshadow on June 23, 2008, 09:19:57 PM

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/ticket-to-ride/achievements/

That site doesn't usually post incorrect info (I think it is datamined from somewhere) so it looks like we do get both boards.

You know, I should have thought to check there.  Good catch and good news!

QP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 12:39:05 PM »

Yay train stations!  (Though I refuse to use them unless it's an absolute necessity...)

-QP
Currently Playing:
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2008, 02:40:51 PM »

Interestingly enough... that site reports 250pts of achievements... which suggest to me that the 1910 Mega Game and Europe may be DLC later.  We won't know till tomorrow.

If you cut out European Track Star (15), Au Naturel (15), and the Ticket Master (20), then You drop all the expansion content and get the standard 200 pts.  *shrug*  Like I said, we'll know tomorrow.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2008, 05:34:51 PM »

Quote from: Dreamshadow on June 24, 2008, 02:40:51 PM

Interestingly enough... that site reports 250pts of achievements... which suggest to me that the 1910 Mega Game and Europe may be DLC later.  We won't know till tomorrow.

If you cut out European Track Star (15), Au Naturel (15), and the Ticket Master (20), then You drop all the expansion content and get the standard 200 pts.  *shrug*  Like I said, we'll know tomorrow.

Excellent point.  Obviously, I'd prefer these things now, but I'll take 'em as add-ons, assuming the game is good.  Maybe they'll release the add-on at the same time as the game.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2008, 07:45:53 AM »

IGN has posted their review - 6.5/10.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2008, 02:04:37 PM »

I downloaded this morning and gave it a shot. The tutorial tells you everything you need to know in terms of playing the game, but doesn't give you any real gameplay or strategy experience. And for someone who never played the board game, that was a bummer.

Still, I purchased it this morning. It looks like they have the North American map, the European map, and one other. I played a 2-player game against the computer on easy and another game against the computer on easy with the max number of players (6 I think?). I won both easily. Maybe today or tomorrow I will try the other maps and see the difference.

I definitely enjoyed the game, as against the computer they went quickly. Probably 15-20 minutes each.

I was hoping they would allow two people to play from the same xbox, as I think this is a game my girlfriend would enjoy, but I don't think that is an option.

I can't speak for those that played the board game, but if you are looking for a quick diversion this seems like a fun game.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2008, 02:09:02 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on June 25, 2008, 07:45:53 AM

Wow. That's a terrible review. I'm pretty sure they picked the wrong person, as he clearly has no interest in board games.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2008, 02:52:25 PM »

Quote from: msteelers on June 25, 2008, 02:04:37 PM

I downloaded this morning and gave it a shot. The tutorial tells you everything you need to know in terms of playing the game, but doesn't give you any real gameplay or strategy experience. And for someone who never played the board game, that was a bummer.

Still, I purchased it this morning. It looks like they have the North American map, the European map, and one other. I played a 2-player game against the computer on easy and another game against the computer on easy with the max number of players (6 I think?). I won both easily. Maybe today or tomorrow I will try the other maps and see the difference.

I definitely enjoyed the game, as against the computer they went quickly. Probably 15-20 minutes each.

I was hoping they would allow two people to play from the same xbox, as I think this is a game my girlfriend would enjoy, but I don't think that is an option.

I can't speak for those that played the board game, but if you are looking for a quick diversion this seems like a fun game.

I could only access the NA tutorial and the NA map this morning.  How did you select Europe?

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2008, 02:59:06 PM »

Quote from: Dreamshadow on June 25, 2008, 02:52:25 PM

I could only access the NA tutorial and the NA map this morning.  How did you select Europe?

I didn't. I only played the NA map. But I saw in the "How to Play" section rules for the Europe map, and icons for train stations on the avatars. Since I had never played before, I figured I would stick to the NA map to learn the basics.

That would suck if they include all of that and not allow you to play those maps. I checked the DLC and it doesn't have anything but the game and the trailer.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2008, 03:11:27 PM »

Quote from: msteelers on June 25, 2008, 02:09:02 PM

Quote from: EddieA on June 25, 2008, 07:45:53 AM

Wow. That's a terrible review. I'm pretty sure they picked the wrong person, as he clearly has no interest in board games.

I hate when they do that.  I remember reading a RPG review many years ago by a FPS player who hates all RPGs.  was ridiculous.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2008, 03:27:25 PM »

Quote from: msteelers on June 25, 2008, 02:59:06 PM

Quote from: Dreamshadow on June 25, 2008, 02:52:25 PM

I didn't. I only played the NA map. But I saw in the "How to Play" section rules for the Europe map, and icons for train stations on the avatars. Since I had never played before, I figured I would stick to the NA map to learn the basics.

That would suck if they include all of that and not allow you to play those maps. I checked the DLC and it doesn't have anything but the game and the trailer.

Yes, but it means that the Europe map is out there and rules are in for it.  I'm just hoping the 'extra' charge for the other game types won't be too much.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Lorini
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2008, 03:59:05 PM »

The reviewer wants a storyline to a board game? That is hilarious  icon_lol

Now Playing:

PC: SupCom 2, DoW CR, Spectromancer
Xbox Live: Panzer General, DJ Hero, Forza 3
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2008, 04:01:00 PM »

Well it is a video game adaptation of the board game, they certainly could have done something like that. Maybe not for the price they are charging, but it's possible... though a story about collecting train cars and using them to link cities is gonna be kinda thin. slywink

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2008, 05:16:03 PM »

I downloaded it this morning and plan on giving it a whirl tonight. Something to keep in mind, is that if you already own any Days of Wonder games you already get access to play their online version of Ticket to Ride. All you need to do is register a game on the Days of Wonder website and you'll get access to play it along with the Gang of Four, Fistful of Dragon Stones and another title I don't recall. Of course one of the advantages of the XBLA version is that you can play offline.
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2008, 05:26:20 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on June 25, 2008, 05:16:03 PM

I downloaded it this morning and plan on giving it a whirl tonight. Something to keep in mind, is that if you already own any Days of Wonder games you already get access to play their online version of Ticket to Ride. All you need to do is register a game on the Days of Wonder website and you'll get access to play it along with the Gang of Four, Fistful of Dragon Stones and another title I don't recall. Of course one of the advantages of the XBLA version is that you can play offline.

Not sure this is completely true. I have the Ticket to Ride board game, but it only gave me access for a month or something?
Or maybe it was just the ability to start games - joining games is free.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2008, 05:51:34 PM »

The main Days of Wonders games give you a 6 month access code.  If you do not have the code, you can certainly buy time, or you can join games hosted by other players.  I got six months from BattleLore, and haven't used my TTR: Europe Code.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2008, 06:23:51 PM »

Quote from: Dreamshadow on June 25, 2008, 05:51:34 PM

The main Days of Wonders games give you a 6 month access code.  If you do not have the code, you can certainly buy time, or you can join games hosted by other players.  I got six months from BattleLore, and haven't used my TTR: Europe Code.

Correct...and if you buy any other Days of Wonder game in the meantime you'll get an additional 6 months. IIRC even the expansions for Battlelore give you online access codes.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2008, 06:26:41 PM »

In the "How to Play" section, they mention that both the Europe and America 1910 variations will be available via upcoming DLC.  The North America map is the only one included in the initial purchase.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2008, 09:08:59 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on June 25, 2008, 06:26:41 PM

In the "How to Play" section, they mention that both the Europe and America 1910 variations will be available via upcoming DLC.  The North America map is the only one included in the initial purchase.

I'm guessing they'll be 400point expansions. Not too bad.
QP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2008, 01:53:45 PM »

I dunno i like TTR:Europe and have played quite a bit, I think 65 is a fair review for this game.  Is it TTR?  Yes.  Did the developers put one iota more of development than required into the game?  No.  I mean if you like TTR it's probably worth it, it is a recreation of the board game.  But it's a half-assed one that brings NOTHING extra to the table; the art is mediocre as is the sound.  It's about like Lost Cities on XBLA, a minimalist conversion of the board game.  Catan is still the best boardgame on XBLA still (I mean in terms of the translation, not necessarily saying it's the best board game)

But i'm not going to complain about buying it, I think boardgames on Live are an awesome option.

-QP
Currently Playing:
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2008, 02:19:09 PM »

So is this basically a port of the PC game that's been available for quite some time?

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2008, 03:38:12 PM »

QP, this is where I am going to disagree with you.  I think you are looking at this from the standpoint of an electronic gamer, rather than the viewpoint of a boardgamer.  What they have done is put the board game up on the screen in a clear, conscise format.  No flash (other than some nifty background music and the occasional blimp, balloon, or battleship crossing the screen) and an accurate translation of the rules as they stand with the board game.  I played a couple of games last night, and much like Catan and Carcassone, loved every game.

Lost Cities is kinda hard to do...it's a very simple card game, so there isn't much they can do with it without changing the fundamental game underneath.  I would rather have a simple, direct translation of the board game than a version with wierd rules (or rules dropped) to accomodate more flash/content being added.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2008, 08:37:52 PM »

I gotta say that Lost Cities was not good.  That was too bare bones, IMO, and lacked any kind of oomph or polish.  While Ticket to Ride may not be near Catan or even Uno, I think it's way above Lost Cities.  I agree that it doesn't have a lot of oomph, but I don't know that it needed it.  I feel that the game could use more of an overview.  I rarely feel like I have a good overall impression of what my opponent might be doing, unlike in the board game.  Still, I bought it and expect to play it.

QP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2008, 11:58:54 AM »

Quote from: Dreamshadow on June 27, 2008, 03:38:12 PM

QP, this is where I am going to disagree with you.  I think you are looking at this from the standpoint of an electronic gamer, rather than the viewpoint of a boardgamer.  What they have done is put the board game up on the screen in a clear, conscise format.  No flash (other than some nifty background music and the occasional blimp, balloon, or battleship crossing the screen) and an accurate translation of the rules as they stand with the board game.  I played a couple of games last night, and much like Catan and Carcassone, loved every game.

Lost Cities is kinda hard to do...it's a very simple card game, so there isn't much they can do with it without changing the fundamental game underneath.  I would rather have a simple, direct translation of the board game than a version with wierd rules (or rules dropped) to accomodate more flash/content being added.

you can't even fully zoom in on all parts of the map!  City names obscure the routes sometimes.  Not a big deal for long, but just an example.  But hey, it works!

-QP
Currently Playing:
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2008, 12:41:22 AM »

Just a heads up the Europe pack is online, according to Major Nelson.  600 points.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2008, 06:10:21 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on August 02, 2008, 12:41:22 AM

Just a heads up the Europe pack is online, according to Major Nelson.  600 points.

600 points?  saywhat

Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2008, 06:57:42 PM »

Yup, and it does not include the 1910 Mega Game.  600pts for the Europe map.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Mithridates

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2008, 01:05:06 PM »

Quote from: Dreamshadow on August 02, 2008, 06:57:42 PM

Yup, and it does not include the 1910 Mega Game.  600pts for the Europe map.

Man, that's a little steep I think.  400 points for the expansions would be fair.  That said, I suppose I won't let a 200 point difference stop me from buying the Europe map, BUT I'M NOT HAPPY ABOUT IT.  mad
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2008, 02:46:14 PM »

Admittedly, per their own website, the three parts that the XBLA Ticket to Ride encompasses is

Ticket to Ride 50.00 USD
Ticket to Ride: Europe 50.00
Ticket to Ride: 1910 20.00 USD

So, for 800 and 600pts, we're getting a 100.00USD value.  *shrug* Maybe I just had high expectations for the price...or more accurately, low expectations.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: