http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 08:25:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [XBLA] Streets of Rage 2  (Read 998 times)
CSL
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 01, 2007, 09:04:47 AM »

I didn't see anyone post about this but I just noticed yesterday that Streets of Rage 2 was released on Live Arcade this or last week. Gadzoocks this game is still great fun nad co-op is supposed to be a blast - did anyone help snag it at a mere 400 points? A mere pittance for such a great game, must have played it over a dozen times through back on my Genesis.

Someone else grab it for some great co-op fun.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 07:28:24 PM »

I at first was pretty psyched to see it on Live because I played the crap out of whatever version was available for Sega CD, but once I found out it was a different Streets of Rage that I played on my Sega system I was pretty disappointed.  I was rather underwhelmed by the trial version, but that might be because I was expecting the Streets of Rage from my childhood and instead found something different.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 07:46:48 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on September 01, 2007, 07:28:24 PM

I was rather underwhelmed by the trial version, but that might be because I was expecting the Streets of Rage from my childhood and instead found something different.

What's on Live is a FAR better version of SoR. The Sega CD one if I remember right is SoR 1 (the combo CD that came with the system). This is the sequel, a game that is very well known as pretty much the best 2D beat-em-up ever made.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 07:49:48 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on September 01, 2007, 07:46:48 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on September 01, 2007, 07:28:24 PM

I was rather underwhelmed by the trial version, but that might be because I was expecting the Streets of Rage from my childhood and instead found something different.

What's on Live is a FAR better version of SoR. The Sega CD one if I remember right is SoR 1 (the combo CD that came with the system). This is the sequel, a game that is very well known as pretty much the best 2D beat-em-up ever made.

Perhaps my own childhood familiarity with SoR 1 has clouded my impressions of SoR 2.  You've actually convinced me to give it another try.  My brother and I played the everloving crap out of SoR 1 as kids, and perhaps SoR 2 will improve on the memories I have of the first.  I'll give it another go.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2007, 07:57:05 PM »

While SoR 2 is a game from my childhood I remember playing a lot, I also remember that my brother and I got good enough at it that we'd just be able to beat the game on the hardest difficulty level (unlocked via a cheat) with 9 lives apiece (also a cheat) without continuing.

And we'd beat up a couple hundred people each in the process. smile

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2007, 08:17:32 PM »

Thanks for this thread, I've been trying to decide which beat em' up to buy from XBLA and seeing as how this one is only 400 points and is apparently one of the best, I know which game to download.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2007, 01:49:32 PM »

I remember playing this many a time on a friend's genesis. I will definitely pick it up one of these days.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2007, 05:15:58 PM »

i remember the first time a buddy and i found the secret ending you could only get through co-op.  man that was cool and such an odd thing to force you to do.

too bad he's still a neophyte when it comes to the 360 and still hasn't picked one up yet. 

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2007, 06:04:31 PM »

Secret ending in SoR 2 co-op? As I said, I played that all the time, and I have no idea what you're talking about.

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2007, 04:31:56 PM »

Bah, this game sucks in coop mode. It's so stupid how you can hit eachother, I find that half of the difficulty and frustration of this game is just avoiding hitting my partner. I don't understand the coop mechanics, I mean why the hell does it let us grab eachother like that? Probably 20% of the damage I take at any given time comes from my partner accidently hitting or throwing me, or disabling me by walking up from behind and grabbing me, allowing the enemy to get some free shots in.

Unless I'm seriously misunderstanding the gameplay mechanics here, steer far away from this one if you want a good coop game.

Sean Lama
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2007, 05:32:16 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on September 02, 2007, 06:04:31 PM

Secret ending in SoR 2 co-op? As I said, I played that all the time, and I have no idea what you're talking about.

:doh:
sorry, my mind was wrapped around the ending of sor 1. 

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2007, 07:13:04 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on September 04, 2007, 04:31:56 PM

Bah, this game sucks in coop mode. It's so stupid how you can hit eachother, I find that half of the difficulty and frustration of this game is just avoiding hitting my partner.

Last I remembered you have quite a bit of screen 'space' to fight in. Just keep away from each other. biggrin

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2007, 07:30:13 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on September 04, 2007, 07:13:04 PM

Quote from: Ridah on September 04, 2007, 04:31:56 PM

Bah, this game sucks in coop mode. It's so stupid how you can hit eachother, I find that half of the difficulty and frustration of this game is just avoiding hitting my partner.

Last I remembered you have quite a bit of screen 'space' to fight in. Just keep away from each other. biggrin

Believe me we've tried, but the movement is so slow. When you've got 3-4 guys on either side of you and you and your partner are clumped together, it gets messy.

Sean Lama
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2007, 09:40:25 PM »

I just want Streets of Rage 3. Dr. Xan was way cooler than the big guy in 2.

Also: was SoR 2 always this slow? The third game on the genesis was much faster than this is.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2007, 09:57:39 PM »

Quote from: Thin_J on September 04, 2007, 09:40:25 PM

I just want Streets of Rage 3. Dr. Xan was way cooler than the big guy in 2.

Also: was SoR 2 always this slow? The third game on the genesis was much faster than this is.

This is exactly the same as the SoR2 I remember on Genesis - and SoR3 was shit compared to SoR2. Though the big guy does suck.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: