http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 01:39:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [XBLA] Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet  (Read 914 times)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: August 04, 2011, 01:15:03 PM »

I downloaded the demo last night.

Holy crap it's a good game. I hadn't bought From Dust yet (played the demo) and now I'm trying to decide which one to get.

Also, does MS have any point-back deals for getting summer of arcade games? It might help me justify it... (I grabbed Bastion a week ago).

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 01:43:05 PM »

I don't think there are any "point back" deals, from what I recall if you buy the first four you get the fifth free.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 01:59:50 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on August 04, 2011, 01:43:05 PM

I don't think there are any "point back" deals, from what I recall if you buy the first four you get the fifth free.

No, it's if you buy all 5 games, you get a 6th game, Crimson Alliance, for free.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 02:03:36 PM »

Bastion, From Dust, ITSP are all reasonable purchases. I just don't know about the army men one, and Kinect Fruit Ninja would be ok considering my son loves Fruit Ninja on my iphone.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 07:03:25 PM »

I'm really loving ITSP so far. It's satisfying my Metroidvania itch with style. 

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 12:36:37 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on August 04, 2011, 01:59:50 PM

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on August 04, 2011, 01:43:05 PM

No, it's if you buy all 5 games, you get a 6th game, Crimson Alliance, for free.

Hey, I was close. If you buy all N-1 games you get the Nth game free.  icon_wink

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 01:52:52 AM »

I played through the first two regions last night and I really like the art style and approach to the -vania approach.  It's not as strong in that regard as shadow complex but the exploration/puzzle approach is fun. 

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 04:59:20 AM »

I played through two more sections than I meant to this evening.  Each time I said I'd stop after I just pissed out this next territory.  I had to physically stop myself from going on in the third section.  I died and then said, "Wait, what the hell am I doing?"

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2011, 07:40:08 PM »

I just finished this one and while it isn't as long as some of the other games on the arcade, it was enjoyable the whole way through.  you should be able to get through it in a day or two.  I would have if I had played through the next day.  I didn't pick up all of the collectibles so I may go back to hunt them down. 

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2011, 08:18:31 PM »

Plus, I'm looking forward to trying coop.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2011, 04:05:10 PM »

Started playing this last night and had to force myself to put it down.  Between the Metroidvania exploration, the awesome art style, and just the fun of tooling around in my little ship, it makes for a very addictive game.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012, 06:13:42 AM »

I bought the PC version of this on Steam while it was on sale last week. It's the darnedest thing but... I hate this game. And not in a traditional way either, where the gameplay is so bad I can't stand to play it. I enjoyed the first hour, I thought the ship was cool and fun to fly, and the environments were sorta neat. But after another hour or so I realized I hate the "feeling" the game gives me, it reminds me of an Atari game and something about being reminded of that makes me hate the game.

I know it's short so I might plow my way through the rest, I'm in the icy/lasery portion of the map at the moment.

This makes me sound like a crazy man, doesn't it?

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2012, 02:24:38 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on July 30, 2012, 06:13:42 AM

I bought the PC version of this on Steam while it was on sale last week. It's the darnedest thing but... I hate this game. And not in a traditional way either, where the gameplay is so bad I can't stand to play it. I enjoyed the first hour, I thought the ship was cool and fun to fly, and the environments were sorta neat. But after another hour or so I realized I hate the "feeling" the game gives me, it reminds me of an Atari game and something about being reminded of that makes me hate the game.

I know it's short so I might plow my way through the rest, I'm in the icy/lasery portion of the map at the moment.

It's not this that makes you sound like a crazy man, but it helps.

FWIW, The ice part was my least favorite (though I still liked it).

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2012, 03:42:17 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on July 30, 2012, 06:13:42 AM

I can relate somewhat.  I didnít hate the game but having beaten it I enjoyed it far less at the end than when I started.  The graphics were attractive yet at the same time I found them a bit too alien which made me feel off while exploring.  I also found the mouse controls for guiding the rockets really annoying and there were a couple sections (including a couple boss battles) that were just pure frustration.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2012, 05:45:01 PM »

The MP addon sucked.  As in, unless you had 2-3 people who KNOW how to play, the game is incredibly frustrating.

The SP portion though, was fun. My only complaint is that there is no tracking of where in the world you're missing gears, and the lantern run (the dark area... second last part?) was, for me, my least favorite zone. As for the ice, I just remember not liking the avalanche run.

At the bottom where the poisonous water is (and tree roots preventing you going left), did you know you can use your shield to burst through the surface and go below?

I didn't until WAY later.

Tongue
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 05:47:07 PM by Purge » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: