http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 06:12:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [XBLA] Braid  (Read 4549 times)
The Grue
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2008, 06:08:02 PM »

Quote from: kathode on August 11, 2008, 05:57:38 PM

I love it.  The soundtrack is just beautiful, not to mention the actual artwork.  It's the kind of game I play and then get angry that I didn't think to make it myself  icon_evil Stuck trying to wrap my mind around how shadow-Tim works right now.  Lots of fun.

Yeah, well you just stick to making those crappy Elder Scrolls and Fallout games. slywink

Spoiler for Hiden:
By crappy, I mean some of the best games I have and will ever play

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2008, 09:25:58 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on August 11, 2008, 02:31:42 PM

JCC, about that hunt level,

Spoiler for *kinda obvious but behind tag anyway*:
The important thing to realize is that you can't use the ladder on the far left.

I wouldn't say that spoiler was obvious.  That helped me quite a bit.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2008, 10:41:52 PM »

In order to get this Epilogue level, do you have to collect all the puzzle pieces for every world?

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2008, 12:35:18 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on August 11, 2008, 10:41:52 PM

In order to get this Epilogue level, do you have to collect all the puzzle pieces for every world?

Nevermind...I just beat it.  Great game.

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2008, 01:29:32 AM »

I just finished it, and that final sequence was hard!

I will confess to liberal use of hints at times. After 15 minutes of just being stuck, I just had to get some help to move on. I would say for world 4 and 5 I probably used hints for 1 out of every 3 or 4 puzzles. So yeah I am a Braid gimp. At least I got through Portal without cheating.

I think it's definitely a great game. A little too frustrating for me to rank it as highly as say Portal - which despite being very different seems to be the game I feel compelled to compare it to.

For those of you who get through without hints, I salute you.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2008, 04:57:20 PM »

Quote from: ChrisGrenard on August 11, 2008, 02:21:37 AM

Is that the area where time flows forwards as you move right and backwards as you move left?

If so, I might recommend testing out how you can double bounce on creatures.

Woohoo, got it!  Thanks for the subtle tips.  If I may I'd like to request one more for the last puzzle piece that us eluding me.  It's the 4th door of World 6.  I can get the key, unlock the door and throw the switch, but I can't seem to figure out how to get back out in an non-crispy fashion.  Another subtle nudge would be greatly appreciated.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I've placed the ring below the red cannon as close I can on the right-hand side of the spike pit below it.  But this just doesn't seem to slow the fireballs enough.  I made it on top of the cannon only to discover that I couldn't use the ring up there.
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2008, 05:22:48 PM »

Quote from: Jancelot on August 14, 2008, 04:57:20 PM

Is that the area where time flows forwards as you move right and backwards as you move left?

Woohoo, got it!  Thanks for the subtle tips.  If I may I'd like to request one more for the last puzzle piece that us eluding me.  It's the 4th door of World 6.  I can get the key, unlock the door and throw the switch, but I can't seem to figure out how to get back out in an non-crispy fashion.  Another subtle nudge would be greatly appreciated.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I've placed the ring below the red cannon as close I can on the right-hand side of the spike pit below it.  But this just doesn't seem to slow the fireballs enough.  I made it on top of the cannon only to discover that I couldn't use the ring up there.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Try placing the ring on top of the cannon... how you get up there may require another spoiler, though. smile
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2008, 05:38:07 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:

The more time you spend playing Xbox Live Arcade titles the less prepared you will be to face me on the gridiron.  You are only postponing the inevitable.  You can't duck me forever.  You can run, but you can't hide.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2008, 05:59:42 PM »

Well, you don't exactly throw many Friday Night bashes anymore.

Your man dates with Moliere are going to have to move to another night, my friend. The wallet-bleeding season of video game gluttony is neigh.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2008, 07:51:25 AM »

Quote from: Captain Caveman on August 14, 2008, 05:22:48 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Try placing the ring on top of the cannon... how you get up there may require another spoiler, though. smile

Well I'll be...I don't know what I did wrong the first time but trying that worked this time around.  Thanks!  Finished up the game.  Very cool.

And Pete...I picked up Madden today.  It's on!
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2008, 02:55:19 PM »

Quote from: Jancelot on August 15, 2008, 07:51:25 AM

And Pete...I picked up Madden today.  It's on!

icon_twisted

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2008, 04:02:28 AM »

Just got Braid this week and I figured out Cloud Bridge all by myself...though it did take a while. As Purge said, it's just plain genius. I'd have been might disappointed if I'd read a cheat to figure it out as it totally would have ruined the satisfaction from figuring it out.

I'm through level 3 and boy does level 4 mix it up.

This is definitely a throwback to the old days where sometimes the best solution is to just walk away from the game for a while.  So far it's an A+ and the best puzzle game I've ever played (unless portal is considered a puzzle game, then it's the 2nd best).

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2008, 02:19:45 PM »

Worked through level 5 (level 4 is beyond me right now) and I must further assert the game creator's brilliance.

The shadow mechanic is just...lovely.  Lovely, I said.  This is possibly GOTY.
onnel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2008, 06:40:11 PM »

Late to the party...GOTY for me...maybe best game ever (or right behind Planescape Torment?)...and I don't even like platformers much.  It is certainly one of the most thoughtful, beautiful and compelling game experiences I have ever had.

I love Fallout3, but Braid is truly something different.  For about 15 minutes after playing it, I am incapable of playing anything else properly (quite funny when I tried to rewind time in Call of Duty MP) and even my perceptions of the real world are skewed (I keep expecting the flow of time to change with my movement).

I'm not sure everyone will love it as much as I do, but everyone should at least try it.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2011, 04:40:03 PM »

probably more than you ever wanted to know about Braid:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwsi7TEQxKc&feature=player_embedded

you might want to grab a snack, it's nearly 90 minutes long.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: