http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 11:24:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [XBL] 1 vs 100 - the show is over!  (Read 2235 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: April 26, 2009, 06:59:33 PM »

based on the TV show, it's going to be free for gold members.  this sounds like it could be a pretty fun 'get together' for GT/OO members depending on how it's set up.  imagine filling up all 101 spots with us  icon_twisted
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 03:10:11 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 07:47:55 PM »

still no solid release date? bah.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 08:55:39 PM »

But I would have to crush you all and you would be forced to weep as you confront your ineptitude in the shadow of my grandeur.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 10:40:10 PM »

i saw/streamed the video off the American XBL dashboard(i get my Jessica Chobot kicks a few days earlier than UK)...and as the UK didn't have that video on their dashboard i can see this coming to the U.S/N.A first and it coming to the rest of the world a few months down the line ....looks quite interesting though

it was due to be released with the NXE wasn't it,then got slated for a Spring release later on

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
crumsteel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 12:24:09 AM »

The second season starts today at 8pm EST. I enjoy this game and looking forward to season 2. Anyone else playing?
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 05:20:27 AM »

How often are the games?
crumsteel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 02:12:13 PM »

Quote from: Zarkon on November 20, 2009, 05:20:27 AM

How often are the games?

If I remember correctly, the actual live 1 vs 100 is on tuesdays and fridays at about 10pm EST. But during the week you can play extended play in the evenings. The best place to look is on the xbox, you can set up reminders or check the website: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/1vs100/
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 06:24:14 PM »

i lost any interest last season when i found out that the state of CT is one of several that don't allow you to win prizes when you play...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 06:33:30 PM »

Quote from: disarm on November 20, 2009, 06:24:14 PM

i lost any interest last season when i found out that the state of CT is one of several that don't allow you to win prizes when you play...

Don't let that stop you.  With as many people as are playing, you have basically no chance of getting picked to have the potential to win anything anyway.  The game's pretty damn fun with friends and copious beer.

Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 07:11:27 PM »

Quite glad this is back. Spent a good deal of time over the weekend playing it (played four hours on Friday; a couple more on saturday/sunday.). Only need two more achievements (the answer 500 question achievement and the group hug (everyone in your group of four gets 3 in a row) achievement.  No idea why, but I'm not getting randomly paired with people most of the time - so I haven't even had an opportunity to get it.  

Pretty exciting moment for me when my name was actually in the top ten at one point. Okay, it was seven questions in - at which point I used a skip and never did find my way back to being close to the top. But still - pretty damn exciting. I had to call my wife over to see it.

I hate hate hate the way the mob/one is selected. Season score / weekly score / Last round score? Come on - put some random people in the mob! Make it 50% based on score, and 50% random or something. And then when the one takes the money, leave the 15-20 people left in the mob there, and pick the one from among the longest running people in the mob. As it stands right now, the only people who get in are the ones with the itchiest trigger fingers and who play the most.

If anyone's playing a fair amount of this, please feel free to add my xbox tag. BTM SBNM
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 07:14:25 PM by DragonFyre » Logged
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 07:13:52 PM »

There's achievements for this now? Apparently I am an achievement whore, as my interest level just went from "who cares, there is MW2" to "maybe when I'm not playing MW2 I'll check it out".

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2009, 07:16:31 PM »

Quote from: msteelers on November 23, 2009, 07:13:52 PM

There's achievements for this now? Apparently I am an achievement whore, as my interest level just went from "who cares, there is MW2" to "maybe when I'm not playing MW2 I'll check it out".

They're all pretty easy to get. The toughest two are probably:

- Get 12 correct answers in a row
- Get 6 correct instant answers in a row

Both of which will eventually happen. The other tough one (answer 500 questions) is just a matter of playing for about 7 hours.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2009, 01:22:33 AM »

I agree that it's crap that the mob and 'one' are chosen strictly by previous scoring instead of any chance at randomness.  Means the same people will play.

I managed to pull off 17 in a row, then missed like 5 or 6 straight.
crumsteel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2009, 01:29:01 AM »

Live tonight starting at 9pm EST. The video game one last night was fun, I played at a buddies house and we had a blast.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2009, 03:46:58 PM »

Quote from: Zarkon on November 25, 2009, 01:22:33 AM

I agree that it's crap that the mob and 'one' are chosen strictly by previous scoring instead of any chance at randomness.  Means the same people will play.

Seriously? I didn't know that's how it worked. I won't be bothering to make an extra effort to play the live game anymore then. I still enjoy the core game and will play; just not making an extra effort and dropping other games to join the live game. Not until they change this at least.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2009, 05:02:27 PM »

When I played in the first season, there was a guy who was the One who showed up in the mob a couple of games later.  While I enjoy playing it, I realize that I have next to no chance to getting into the mob or being the one so my motivation for playing is non-existant.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2009, 05:32:50 PM »

I have no problem rewarding those who play a lot of the extended play games with a better chance at being selected for the One or the Mob. As it is though, I feel like you have to play all the time in order to get a chance. I always had the impression that casual players have no shot at getting in, because it supposedly takes into account how often you play, how many answers you get right, and how quickly you respond too.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2009, 06:07:39 PM »

In the two live shows I've seen, I've now seen more than a few of the consistently top of the heap players become the one. I think that's okay, because you should get rewarded for being really good. However, every single person I've seen be the one is either a name I recognize from looking at top ten lists, or was the person who actually got top score from the previous round.

Hello.
They've already won an xbox live game. They don't need to win again.

They do have limits on the number of times a person can be the one (once per season) or in the mob (once per show) but I think those limitations are not strict enough. A player should only ever be the one once. Period. A player should only be in the mob once per season. That way, given the scoring methods, you're going to allow more players to experience what it's like to be in the mob. I'd like that to happen just once, please. As it stands right now, I don't want to burn out on the game. I do enjoy it, and I've got a season score in the 400,000s. That's pretty high, I think, considering that there's only been a few days since the season starts. I average about 65% questions right. So I don't really have a shot at being in there.

Apparently the best way to become the one or get into the mob is to work as a team, so you have backup on questions you might not know.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2009, 10:02:06 PM »

That's what my issue is. Honestly, they're making the gameshow too elitist to maintain a dedicated XBL audience. If they reserved, say, 20 slots of the mob for a truly random sampling of the people currently playing, and used the other 80 with their current formula for selecting participants, that'd at least give some chance for the casuals to play.

When I do play, I play pretty well. However, I just don't play that much. I want to pop on, play the live show, and have a chance (albeit a small one) to be in the mob. I am under no illusion that I'd ever luck into the spot for "The One".

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2009, 02:48:14 PM »

I got into the mob a while back, and the One disconnected after one question.  Then I found out about the formula and how unlikely it would be for that to happen again.  And then I found out that Connecticut gets nothing.  My time with the game has dwindled to next to nothing, but I still pop in from time to time, 'cause there is something entertaining about it.  I just feel like they're missing something in the reward trigger aspect for most gamers.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2010, 04:41:47 PM »

I made the mob last night.  icon_biggrin Made it on a weekly score round (399,000 points for the week, which was from Sunday-Tuesday)

Got a fairly easy question wrong though... so I can't say I'm overly proud of my performance, but it was super fun to finally get to play in the mob! A few rounds later, a friend I was playing with also made the mob!

Last live show for season two is this Friday. Did anyone else make the mob?
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2010, 04:59:50 PM »

I'm unhappy about Season 2, because the live shows are Tuesdays and Fridays, and I'm at work.

I has a sad.  frown

PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2010, 05:17:29 PM »

Quote from: DragonFyre on February 10, 2010, 04:41:47 PM

I made the mob last night.  icon_biggrin Made it on a weekly score round (399,000 points for the week, which was from Sunday-Tuesday)

Got a fairly easy question wrong though... so I can't say I'm overly proud of my performance, but it was super fun to finally get to play in the mob! A few rounds later, a friend I was playing with also made the mob!

Last live show for season two is this Friday. Did anyone else make the mob?

I have yet to make the mob as my schedule doesn't allow for me to make it online with much consistency to earn a high enough score to be eligible.  But I've certainly been addicted to the game, only logging on to Live when I can expect either a live or general trivia game going on, as it's easy to pick up and play, trivia games can be fun, and even my wife gets in on the action by logging on to her own Live account when I'm playing so that we can compete against each other.  Sorry to see that the last live show will be this Friday.  I'll be playing a softball double-header so I'm unfortunately going to miss the event.

Did anyone log on for "The Big Game" trivia on Sunday before the Super Bowl?  I expected it to mostly be football questions as the Super Bowl just happens to be a football game, they had live football guests like Joe Montana and Jerry Rice, they had a live football tight end from Seattle donating The One winnings to charity, yet it was just regular general trivia.   disgust  I was all excited to play some heavy-duty football trivia before the Super Bowl but eventually just logged off as I can play general trivia any night of the week.  I did a bit of the football trivia the night before and it was really fun.  Too bad they didn't continue the theme on Sunday.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2010, 06:32:48 PM »

I've won an XBLA game for scoring really well in an individual round.

I've been in the mob twice.  Once I would have won, but the One busted out too early.  The other time, I got a question wrong, but the One took the points eventually anyway.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2010, 07:35:45 PM »

My girlfriend plays this (with occasional help from me) and she got into the mob once.  I can't remember her being so excited!  She beat the one, too, and we got almost 400 MSP out of it.  For some reason we never hear what the live host is saying.  We probably aren't missing much but it's annoying.

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
WalkingFumble

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2010, 12:48:55 AM »

Anyone want to play tonight?  Last live game of the season.  Pr0ner and I will be getting together around 9:45PM EST if anyone wants to party up.  The more we have playing yelling out answers, the better chance of getting in the mob and winning prizes.

XBL: I3L00DFUMBLE  -  132,578     |     PSN: WalkingFumble     |     Nintendo Revolution:  1440 9434 2198 4442
crumsteel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2010, 02:02:40 AM »

Quote from: WalkingFumble on February 13, 2010, 12:48:55 AM

Anyone want to play tonight?  Last live game of the season.  Pr0ner and I will be getting together around 9:45PM EST if anyone wants to party up.  The more we have playing yelling out answers, the better chance of getting in the mob and winning prizes.

Wish I could, but this is competing with the Olympics opening!!!
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2010, 02:56:37 AM »

In!

Olympics opening ceremonies are boring!

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2010, 03:09:40 PM »

canceled!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2010, 03:48:53 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 15, 2010, 03:09:40 PM

Sad. I loved playing this and made quite a few friends while playing. I'll always have fond memories of a group of 10 or more of us 'joining forces' and sharing answers with the intent of getting into the mob / being the one.  Without a doubt, it's the most fun I had on xbox live.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2010, 05:41:24 PM »

started to get fed up of Microsoft,their direction for pretty much everything this year has been all wrong

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2010, 05:50:46 PM »

I killed many hours playing this game.  I just loved the trivia, joining forces with my wife, and playing something that didn't take much of a time commitment.  We love bar trivia (most places call it "Quizzo"), so we'd grab a few drinks, sit back in the living room, and play a virtual version of our favorite bar game.

I've been anxiously awaiting its return.  Sad to see it will be no more. 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2010, 06:05:07 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on July 15, 2010, 05:41:24 PM

started to get fed up of Microsoft,their direction for pretty much everything this year has been all wrong

This.  Kinect at 5x what it should cost, check.  Windows Phone 7 without multitasking, check.  Kin - WTF?

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2010, 06:05:07 PM »

+1

Remember when they said they were making kinect to focus on games for the whole family? (Something to that effect, anyways) Apparently they think my whole family wants to sit around and play a cat-petting sim...

I love Trivia games, and there really aren't any other ones out there that come close in quality or sense of community.  
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2010, 12:06:37 AM »

while i think the idea behind 1 vs 100 was great, and execution was pretty good, the fact that CT residents were excluded from winning any prizes killed any interest that i had in playing.  i know it's not MS's fault because they just have to follow the law, but not being able to win anything pretty much took away the motivation to play if you lived in the wrong state.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2010, 01:19:23 AM »

MEH, I got tired of having to turn yourself into a 1 vs 100 slave to have any shot of ever having a chance to win anything. It bored me.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
nymanium
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2010, 02:18:56 AM »

Bummer this got canceled, was a good bit of fun. And it was free. I take heart in the fact that the team is working on more projects though.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2010, 11:00:57 PM »

MS is all gung ho about making a big play with the "casual" crowd with connect...yet one of the cool things that they already had that did appeal is now killed. I had many fun times playing this with friends and family that arn't the hardcore  Halo/COD crowd....makes no sense to me, but then again I scratch my head at allot of what MS and Sony are doing these days.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2010, 11:52:21 PM »

I have to wonder if they won't be bringing something similar back without the licensing cost of the 1 vs 100 show and somehow tie it into Kinect at the same time.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2010, 03:37:39 PM »

Quote from: jblank on July 16, 2010, 01:19:23 AM

MEH, I got tired of having to turn yourself into a 1 vs 100 slave to have any shot of ever having a chance to win anything. It bored me.

You didn't have to be a 1 vs 100 slave to have a shot at winning anything.  You just had to be good.   icon_twisted

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: