http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 05:24:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [XB1]Killer Instinct F2P  (Read 1230 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 11, 2013, 05:05:09 PM »

I'll just plaster this here
Killer Instinct is a free download for Xbox One that comes with Jago - but you have to pay for more characters.

The surprise Xbox One launch title will be available to download for free, and with the client you'll be able to play online and local multiplayer - but only with Jago.

The producer on the game at Microsoft Studios told Eurogamer at an event at E3 last night that the company decided to use this release strategy because when it comes to fighting games, most players only focus on a handful of characters.

"It's really impressive to have a roster of 50 characters, but how many of those characters am I really going to play?" the producer said. "And I have to buy a $60 game in order to play those one or two characters I want to play.

"Fighting games are big and expensive and they can be complicated. It's very hard to get good at a number of characters. You generally gravitate towards one or two or three or four at the most.

"We want players to be able to experience the game that way. Just buy the characters you want or buy them all and we'll give you a discount on that."

The producer said Microsoft hadn't decided how many characters would eventually be made available, but did confirm plans to release them over time, establishing a regular cadence to "keep people coming back and engaged".

Microsoft also wants community feedback to influence character design. A beta program will let players "get in even earlier" while the characters are in the development phase, thus allowing the developers to base them on feedback.

The producer refused to reveal exactly how much characters will cost to buy, but did say they will be priced "competitively" suggesting they will come in at the single digit dollar mark. Microsoft will also sell costumes and customisations for those costumes. These are purely cosmetic. Will Microsoft sell arenas? "There are still some aspects of what content we're giving away, what you'll grind towards and what you'll buy that we're working out," the producer added.

Ultimately, Microsoft wants as many people playing the new Killer Instinct as possible, hence the free-to-download business model.

Trailer in the link
Eurogamer

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 05:30:10 PM »

You know, I don't think they understand why the most popular F2P games are that way.

They really need to have either all characters be free with a basic, uninspired skin, then sell a bunch of cool cosmetic enhancements. (DOTA 2 style)

Or have a rotating set of characters to play, like LoL and also with skins.

The idea is to get players in to the overall gameplay, experiencing a lot of the game's nuance and fun. You can't get that if everyone you're facing early on it Jagos everywhere.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 05:32:03 PM »

well that's dumb.  that's 1 game off of my XB1 list.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 05:40:52 PM »

And here's what else the developer has made

Silent Hill Homecoming    PlayStation 3 / Windows / Xbox 360    2008
G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra    Nintendo DS / PlayStation 2 / PlayStation 3 / PlayStation Portable / Wii / Xbox 360    2009
Front Mission Evolved[2]    PlayStation 3 / Windows / Xbox 360    2010
MX vs. ATV Reflex    Windows    2010
Green Lantern: Rise of the Manhunters    PlayStation 3 / Wii / Xbox 360    2011
Battleship[3]    PlayStation 3 / Xbox 360    2012
Harker    PlayStation 3 / Wii / Xbox 360    TBA
Killer Instinct[4]    Xbox One    TBA
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 05:43:18 PM »

Well, crap.

Still, KI isn't that difficult a game to make, and it also was never a tournament level balanced game.

Give an okay studio a good project to rally around, they might be able to pull it off. Look at the Batman series, who would have thought those guys would have done so well with Batman with their track record?
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 08:30:33 PM »

"The producer on the game at Microsoft Studios told Eurogamer at an event at E3 last night that the company decided to use this release strategy because when it comes to fighting games, most players only focus on a handful of characters.

"It's really impressive to have a roster of 50 characters, but how many of those characters am I really going to play?" the producer said. "And I have to buy a $60 game in order to play those one or two characters I want to play."

That is just about one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. Really Microsoft? You think you know what's best for gamers? Thanks for looking out for us. The world is a better place because of you. How's that XBox None DRM policy working out for ya?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 08:34:25 PM »

well I did used to only play Vega and Chun Li, or in Mortal Kombat Shang Tsung....  still, why stop with the characters?  I don't really need that fireball attack, so cut it and make it DLC.  and do I really need all those stages?

Because I can,
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 08:40:48 PM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on June 11, 2013, 08:30:33 PM

"It's really impressive to have a roster of 50 characters, but how many of those characters am I really going to play?" the producer said. "And I have to buy a $60 game in order to play those one or two characters I want to play."

That is just about one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. Really Microsoft? You think you know what's best for gamers? Thanks for looking out for us. The world is a better place because of you. How's that XBox None DRM policy working out for ya?
The only time I play fighters is when I have a group of friends sitting in my living room with me.  Every person tries each character a couple times and we pass the controllers around.  Is this not a thing for most people?
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 08:49:47 PM »

In Microsoft's world, that's just far too confusing to people.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 10:16:23 PM »

If you really want every character and would have been willing to drop $60 on the game, why is it so hard to just buy the full character pack?  I imagine that with whatever discount they're giving for all of the characters that will ship with the game it will be in the same range as buying a full new game.  Not that they've announced pricing for anything at this point.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 10:28:31 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on June 11, 2013, 10:16:23 PM

If you really want every character and would have been willing to drop $60 on the game, why is it so hard to just buy the full character pack?  I imagine that with whatever discount they're giving for all of the characters that will ship with the game it will be in the same range as buying a full new game.  Not that they've announced pricing for anything at this point.

Often with free to play games, it often ends up costing a ridiculous amount of money to buy everything - much more than the game would cost if they just sold the whole thing.  I have no idea if that will happen here, but I'm very wary whenever I see "free to play".

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 10:34:36 PM »

This seems more like a demo model than a f2p model.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 10:59:29 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on June 11, 2013, 10:28:31 PM

Quote from: EngineNo9 on June 11, 2013, 10:16:23 PM

Often with free to play games, it often ends up costing a ridiculous amount of money to buy everything - much more than the game would cost if they just sold the whole thing.  I have no idea if that will happen here, but I'm very wary whenever I see "free to play".

There's usually some way to unlock stuff like characters for free though via time investment.  Looking at LoL and Dota, you only have to pay for aesthetic items with hard cash, while you can get everything else via in game currency.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 11:14:11 PM »

As people who played SFIV with me can attest, I play everyone at least a bit.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2013, 04:41:02 AM »

Interesting strategy. While I don't think it's a smart strategy, but at least it's a fresh concept. Should be interesting to see how this model competes with the Tekken F2P game that just released.

I will say that, as a KI fan who put quite a bit of time into the first game and sequel, I'm not as excited as I thought I would be. But hey, fun reveal!

TheMissingLink on PSN
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2013, 01:30:13 PM »

I don't play fighting games enough to focus on more than one or two characters.  But I won't know who those characters are until I try all of them.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2013, 05:29:07 AM »

Looks like you'll be able to buy the full version in addition to the F2P way to pay.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2013, 04:53:47 PM »

pricing.

$4.99 per character.
$19.99 combo pack for 8 characters, including 2 not available for purchase separately.
$39.99 Ultra Edition, containing:

The first 8 characters (6 at launch, plus 2 characters before their official post-launch release)
    Character accessory packs
    Character costumes
    The original “Killer Instinct” arcade game

I'd have to see the accessory and costume packs, but I think I'd go with the $19.99 pack.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2013, 05:39:18 AM »

screens and video from PAX.

Because I can,
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2013, 03:33:48 PM »

Some long time XBL subscribers are getting notified that they will get Killer Instinct (all characters unlocked) for free, it's pretty unclear what the criteria for qualifying are at this point, but some folks here surely will get it I think.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2013, 05:04:16 PM »

just remember, per Xbox support, [email protected] is the official email for Xbox promotions.  if it is from another address it could be scammers.

Because I can,
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2013, 05:52:59 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on November 06, 2013, 03:33:48 PM

Some long time XBL subscribers are getting notified that they will get Killer Instinct (all characters unlocked) for free, it's pretty unclear what the criteria for qualifying are at this point, but some folks here surely will get it I think.

I got it!  icon_biggrin

So, they are trying to sway me into getting an XB1 this year....hmm....it may be working....

Can't pass up a free game!   thumbsup

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2013, 06:02:24 PM »

Fsck you. Been checking my email CONSTANTLY. Tongue

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2013, 06:03:14 PM »

Quote from: Purge on November 06, 2013, 06:02:24 PM

Fsck you. Been checking my email CONSTANTLY. Tongue

apparently they are also sending out messages to your xbox.  of course, I just deleted a ton of spam, so it could have been in there.  oh well, it's MS, they can have my moniez biggrin

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2013, 07:45:48 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on November 06, 2013, 03:33:48 PM

yeah i got it

they said they will remind me on 22nd November..shame i wont have an xbox one then(how long will the promotion last?),they have also been giving away Xb1s as well...of course,i didn't get that one icon_cry

http://ghoststorm.co.uk/free-xbox-one-email-legit-states-microsoft/#axzz2jshPkDEW

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2013, 08:31:11 PM »

Haven't received it, hoping I do frown
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2013, 10:47:49 PM »

Ignoring the ridiculously cheesy and unneeded intro and outro bits, this video has a lot of good info on how to play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJWMF0N1zcE
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2013, 12:05:33 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on November 28, 2013, 10:47:49 PM

Ignoring the ridiculously cheesy and unneeded intro and outro bits, this video has a lot of good info on how to play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJWMF0N1zcE

I prefer button-mashing and beating you. biggrin

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2013, 12:17:28 AM »

just mash the buttons and hope for the best.

Because I can,
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2013, 12:21:41 AM »

I dont' even understand the desire to play a game without actually learning what you are doing, but whatever.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2013, 01:20:21 AM »

slywink for me, the game isn't SRSLY - its for killing time with a friend over.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2013, 01:21:34 AM »

biggrin

next thing we'll be required to watch the screen.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 01:23:16 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2013, 05:42:44 PM »

Wish I were half this good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvWiQZZYdYw

skip to about the minute mark or so for the full awesomeness.

Spoiler for Hiden:
He correctly guessed when the opponent would trigger the combo breaker THREE times, getting a counter breaker and allowing him to extend the combo for 97% damage
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2013, 09:05:02 PM »

i'll never be that good at s fighter..

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2013, 07:46:06 PM »

I have 1 day to beat 2 more friends.  Send me a msg if you can do that today/tonight. smile
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2013, 09:01:10 PM »

Try me. I'll be on later.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2013, 09:01:26 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on December 04, 2013, 07:46:06 PM

I have 1 day to beat 2 more friends.  Send me a msg if you can do that today/tonight. smile

got to love these new achievements biggrin

Because I can,
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2013, 09:12:31 PM »

Quote from: Purge on December 04, 2013, 09:01:10 PM

Try me. I'll be on later.

I already beat you smile
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2013, 01:49:22 AM »

.. and I you. biggrin
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 01:53:03 AM by Purge » Logged

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2013, 02:03:04 AM »

icon_lol

Because I can,
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: