http://gamingtrend.com
August 22, 2014, 08:16:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [XB1] Sunset Overdrive (Insomniac's latest)  (Read 399 times)
Caine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

My cocaine

View Profile
« on: May 08, 2014, 04:37:56 PM »

Surprised they didn't wait until E3 to release this.  This looks interesting, and is apparently published by MS, so no multiplatform release.

This is going to be a free-running/grinding super hero game with lots of melee and ranged weaponry.  They've seemingly mashed together the rail combat from Bioshock Infinite with Tony Hawk, adding in the weaponry from a Ratchet & Clank game.  Add the character customization from SR IV and you're set.  

Here's some early gameplay
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 04:41:45 PM by Caine » Logged

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 05:07:03 PM »

Quote from: Caine on May 08, 2014, 04:37:56 PM

This is going to be a free-running/grinding super hero game with lots of melee and ranged weaponry.  They've seemingly mashed together the rail combat from Bioshock Infinite with Tony Hawk, adding in the weaponry from a Ratchet & Clank game.  Add the character customization from SR IV and you're set. 

Ratchet had a lot of rail combat, and the boss fight shown looks very Ratchet.  The whole game looks a lot like R&C gameplay in a different environment.

This is published by MS but Insomniac does own the IP, so theoretically they could make a Sunset Overdrive game for other platforms some day (though I'm sure MS has first rights of refusal).   Basically think of Gears on 360 in regards to the property (before MS bought the Gears IP from Epic) just a few months ago)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 05:52:09 PM by forgeforsaken » Logged
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 05:08:06 PM »

There's a cool article at Polygon where they talk with the developers about how they applied what their learned from Fuse and applied it to Sunset Overdrive.

The game looks fantastic, a shame it's Xbox One exclusive.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 05:49:21 PM »

I kind of dismissed this one from the first trailer at last year's E3, but the more I've read about it this week the more hyped I am. Looks really, really good.

Between this, Quantum Break, and Halo/Gears of War, Microsoft has a very strong set of exclusives lined up for E3.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 05:53:59 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on May 08, 2014, 05:49:21 PM

I kind of dismissed this one from the first trailer at last year's E3, but the more I've read about it this week the more hyped I am. Looks really, really good.

Between this, Quantum Break, and Halo/Gears of War, Microsoft has a very strong set of exclusives lined up for E3.

All you're getting from Gears at E3 is a Gear logo with chainsaw sound.

Here's the official SO trailer with gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMnjoqr5glk&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 07:26:02 PM by forgeforsaken » Logged
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 11:16:34 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on May 08, 2014, 05:08:06 PM

There's a cool article at Polygon where they talk with the developers about how they applied what their learned from Fuse and applied it to Sunset Overdrive.

That seems weird to mention Fuse as this game looks more like a direct descendant from the DNA of Ratchet & Clank.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 10:22:17 PM »

Essentially, what they learned was they could dump Fuse out to die, and focus on this game. slywink
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 12:52:39 AM »

I was very excited about this until you guys reminded me that this studio also made Fuse, which I was excited for, purchased, and was utter garbage.

I hope this is good.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 05:09:43 AM »

Looks like Dead Rising with more fluid movement.  Skeptical.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 03:04:29 PM »

Quote from: gellar on May 10, 2014, 12:52:39 AM

I was very excited about this until you guys reminded me that this studio also made Fuse, which I was excited for, purchased, and was utter garbage.

I hope this is good.

Judging this games potential quality from one title for a long time developer like Insomniac is rather unfair.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2014, 05:03:52 PM »

Quote from: Jumangi on May 10, 2014, 03:04:29 PM

Quote from: gellar on May 10, 2014, 12:52:39 AM

I hope this is good.

Judging this games potential quality from one title for a long time developer like Insomniac is rather unfair.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

When it was their most recent title and it was so, so bad - I think it's a fair worry.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2014, 05:34:45 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on May 08, 2014, 05:08:06 PM

I find it really funny how they keep saying "this fits right in with what we do best, bright and colorful action platformers" when Insomniac proper (not the North Carolina offshoot) has been distancing themselves from those types of games for years. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2014, 06:52:53 PM »

Insomniac are a pretty hit or miss studio.   Fuse wasn't so hot, and the Resistance games didn't really light the world on fire and varied widely in quality.   Even the R&C games have a fair bit of quality disparity.  It's really hard to know how this one will turn out until it releases.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2014, 10:52:59 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on May 10, 2014, 06:52:53 PM

Insomniac are a pretty hit or miss studio.   Fuse wasn't so hot, and the Resistance games didn't really light the world on fire and varied widely in quality.   Even the R&C games have a fair bit of quality disparity.  It's really hard to know how this one will turn out until it releases.

Hit or miss except that both the Resistance And Ratchet games have a history of solid mid 80's average ratings over the years. So if you wanna call those misses I guess most all games that have ever been released are then
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2014, 11:08:45 PM »

Quote from: Jumangi on May 11, 2014, 10:52:59 PM

Quote from: forgeforsaken on May 10, 2014, 06:52:53 PM

Hit or miss except that both the Resistance And Ratchet games have a history of solid mid 80's average ratings over the years. So if you wanna call those misses I guess most all games that have ever been released are then

Into the Nexus is pretty good, but Full Frontal Assault and All 4 One are definitely misses.  Toss Fuse and something called Outernauts into the mix, and those are their last five games.

And Resistance 2 wasn't very far before that...

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2014, 04:55:48 AM »

Resistance fell off a cliff and 2 of the last 3 ratchet games were awful. The last one was great though IMO.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: