http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 08:46:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [XB1 & PC] Ryse  (Read 6436 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 08, 2013, 03:48:16 AM »

Quote from: 360 Achievements
Most interesting, however, is the way your health is managed. There simply isnít any other way to regain health other than to fly into battle, weakening an enemy and then executing them, ensuring that even when youíre near death and vulnerable, you still have to keep pressing forward. It adds an air of tension and risk/reward to proceedings.

interesting system, no finding a corner and cleaning your sword while waiting for health to regenerate.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: November 08, 2013, 05:00:56 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 08, 2013, 03:48:16 AM

Quote from: 360 Achievements
Most interesting, however, is the way your health is managed. There simply isnít any other way to regain health other than to fly into battle, weakening an enemy and then executing them, ensuring that even when youíre near death and vulnerable, you still have to keep pressing forward. It adds an air of tension and risk/reward to proceedings.

interesting system, no finding a corner and cleaning your sword while waiting for health to regenerate.

These systems always sound interesting but rarely do they work well.  I think the last game I played like this was Space Marine and it was super frustrating to get stuck in the execute animation trying to regain health only to be knocked back by all the other enemies swarming you at that time.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 08, 2013, 05:59:09 AM »

Quote from: Purge on November 08, 2013, 03:38:49 AM

What I find interesting, is that most of these talks about the fighting, the moves, the health, the buttons you have to press. I'm assuming its the same kind of gameplay as for instance God of War? As in, its all about the combat?

I was sure some time ago there was something about you commanding an army as well, but I don't see that in the reviews, only stuff about combat.

I still wish this had been the game where you were a Roman General, and had to not only fight in glorious next-gen 3D but also manage that army.

A new one
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 08, 2013, 06:51:54 AM »

Quote from: Chrisoc13 on November 08, 2013, 03:24:37 AM

Man this forum is insufferable. Thanks guys. I guess I was too angry Roll Eyes please. It's a video game. I don't have time or energy to be angry about video games.

My post was about the game. He asked for links in another thread. So I wanted links too. Links from tilt, not from others but the person who made the post. Without tilt posting it I couldn't know exactly which previews were referred to.
Ironically it appears tilt had no real previews to show. Instead it's just "yeah what everyone else said..." so I think it certainly is very fair to ask for links.

"Personal attacks are not allowed in this forum" yes I had very strong personal attacks. Please. I want links and pointed out a pattern.

Seems previews on the game are mixed. Not surprising, thoughts have been mixed since e3. The mp has looked especially weak previously. May still be surprising on single player.

Apparently you cared /were angry enough to send me not one, but two PM's about it, where you stated that you didn't "appreciate my tone" and that you had "been on this forum longer than me". Frankly, I find that kind of behavior rather unsettling, so I've taken steps to ensure that doesn't happen again. You have been banned from my Inbox via third party programs. Anything you want to say to me, you can say here, in the open, instead of the weird Personal Messages. Its way too creepy and stalkerish for me.

A new one
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: November 08, 2013, 12:28:00 PM »

There are command moments, but the game is a fighting/action game.

If you've played Batman : Arkham series, it's more like that then it is God of War.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 08, 2013, 04:14:54 PM »

Quote from: Purge on November 08, 2013, 12:28:00 PM

If you've played Batman : Arkham series, it's more like that then it is God of War.

Someone mentioned the Dynasty Warriors series, is it akin to that (or the MS version 99 Nights)?

Man this forum is insufferable. Thanks guys. I guess I was too angry Roll Eyes please. It's a video game. I don't have time or energy to be angry about video games.

My post was about the game. He asked for links in another thread. So I wanted links too. Links from tilt, not from others but the person who made the post. Without tilt posting it I couldn't know exactly which previews were referred to.
Ironically it appears tilt had no real previews to show. Instead it's just "yeah what everyone else said..." so I think it certainly is very fair to ask for links.

"Personal attacks are not allowed in this forum" yes I had very strong personal attacks. Please. I want links and pointed out a pattern.

Seems previews on the game are mixed. Not surprising, thoughts have been mixed since e3. The mp has looked especially weak previously. May still be surprising on single player.

You're clearly still burning from being asked to show sources and are trying to get back at TiLT.  But TiLT's sources were right here in this thread.  He was continuing the discussion.  It's not his fault (or ours) that you didn't bother to read the rest of the thread before going after him.

If we're at a point where multiple GTers are defending TiLT, then you need to take a closer look at that kettle in the corner before tossing around words like "insufferable" methinks.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: November 08, 2013, 04:55:47 PM »

From the "source" perspective - when I read TiLT's message (IIRC it was TiLT, I'm going off others comments at this point) I had a reply typed up of "Source? slywink" but I didn't submit it - so it's not only Chris who thought that.

Hell, my last couple replies provided nothing BUT source as part of providing perspective and part of that was because there was a distinct lack of that. The message in question just spoke of previews - no direct reference to anything posted.

I think Chris, and anyone addressing Chris, need to cool off a bit and stop with dramatic accusations of "creepy PMs" and the like (that "Thank you guys" post was, for example inflammatory. All that stuff? If you really think there's a problem with the conduct, going to the forum publicly is bad idea. You take that to a mod instead, otherwise it's referencing something that none of us were, or want to be, exposed to directly. The P in PM is "PRIVATE".

Please keep it that way.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 04:57:37 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 08, 2013, 04:56:57 PM »

Quote from: Purge on November 08, 2013, 04:55:47 PM

From the "source" perspective - when I read TiLT's message (IIRC it was TiLT, I'm going off others comments at this point) I had a reply typed up of "Source? slywink" so it's not only Chris who thought that.

Hell, my last couple replies provided nothing BUT source as part of providing perspective.

I think Chris, and anyone addressing Chris, need to cool off a bit and stop with dramatic accusations of "creepy PMs" and the like. That stuff? If you really think there's a problem with the conduct, going to the forum publicly is bad idea. You take that to a mod instead, otherwise it's referencing something that none of us were, or want to be, exposed to directly. The P in PM is "PRIVATE".

Keep it that way.

Not a chance.

A new one
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: November 08, 2013, 05:00:48 PM »

What's not a chance? If you think something you received in a PM is inappropriate, you dump that in a public forum as a derail? That's Code of Conduct work, bub. If you act inappropriately, even if it's due to someone else acting inappropriately, you're responsible for your own actions.

That's not me talking as staff either - in the forums I'm the same as anyone else, and I can tell you that if you're going to take PM's public as a means of calling someone out - there's a complete lack of respect for other forum members including the readers of the forum.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 08, 2013, 05:02:24 PM »

Quote from: Purge on November 08, 2013, 05:00:48 PM

What's not a chance? If you think something you received in a PM is inappropriate, you dump that in a public forum as a derail? That's Code of Conduct work, bub. If you act inappropriately, even if it's due to someone else acting inappropriately, you're responsible for your own actions.

That's not me talking as staff either - in the forums I'm the same as anyone else, and I can tell you that if you're going to take PM's public as a means of calling someone out - there's a complete lack of respect for other forum members including the readers of the forum.

Hey, Bub - I posted what I did for a reason. If you dislike that, pm a mod if thats what you want. I simply do not want to have any contact with the guy through pm's anymore, so he can say anything he wants here. Thats it.

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 08, 2013, 05:04:42 PM »

just what I wanted to hear.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 08, 2013, 05:04:49 PM »

oh, and can't we all get along?

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 08, 2013, 05:04:57 PM »

Because I can,
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 08, 2013, 05:11:07 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on November 08, 2013, 04:14:54 PM

Someone mentioned the Dynasty Warriors series, is it akin to that (or the MS version 99 Nights)?

I'm getting a feeling of it being Dynasty Warriors + Arkham Lite + God of War QTE
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 08, 2013, 05:45:47 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on November 08, 2013, 06:51:54 AM

Apparently you cared /were angry enough to send me not one, but two PM's about it, where you stated that you didn't "appreciate my tone" and that you had "been on this forum longer than me". Frankly, I find that kind of behavior rather unsettling, so I've taken steps to ensure that doesn't happen again. You have been banned from my Inbox via third party programs. Anything you want to say to me, you can say here, in the open, instead of the weird Personal Messages. Its way too creepy and stalkerish for me.

Chrisoc13:  While it should be obvious that what you did was wrong, I updated the Code of Conduct so that it was documented.  With that said this is a general warning.

Personal Attacks & Common Sense
Personal attacks, hate speech and personal vendettas are simply not allowed on our boards. This is not a place for combat or flame wars.  If you're having a problem with anger management, get it under control, or find another internet forum to post on.  If you have something against another poster you will either need to keep silent or be respectful of their opinions.  Feel free to engage in discussion, but keep it civil. If you can't talk to other people as if they're intelligent, you wonít be posting here for long. Don't talk down to your fellow posters, don't lecture them, and don't beat people over the head with your opinions as though they were facts.  Use common sense and everyone will be happier. Be respectful of other users and industry representatives that may post on the forums. We want this to be a fun place to come and share ideas and stories.  This also includes private messaging.  Do not take this to private message whether you are using the Forum messaging features or personal emails.  
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: November 08, 2013, 05:54:17 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 08, 2013, 05:11:07 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on November 08, 2013, 04:14:54 PM

I'm getting a feeling of it being Dynasty Warriors + Arkham Lite + God of War QTE

I've specifically seen in videos that they sort of address that this isn't quite Dynasty Warriors, you're usually only fighting a max of 8 guys at once and they aren't just supposed to be 1-hit fodder like I remember from DW. 

The big problem for me is that I'm not particularly interested in the Roman theme (although if it were Vikings...smile ) and I'm afraid that only having the one weapon and shield with a few attacks will get old very quickly even if it's the best combat ever.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: November 08, 2013, 06:05:13 PM »

There are unlockable moves, etc, but I totally get your point. Only time with the game (for me) will answer that.

Guys CAN be two-hit fodder though - in one of the videos posted they talk about Burning Eagle mode where your combo multiplier is high enough that you can put enemies in an executable state within one hit. DW was famous for the "stand around do nothing" AI.

Eight guys all trying to take a chunk out of you, and aren't polite about it? That's combat I want to try.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 08, 2013, 06:07:41 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 08, 2013, 05:54:17 PM

The big problem for me is that I'm not particularly interested in the Roman theme (although if it were Vikings...smile ) and I'm afraid that only having the one weapon and shield with a few attacks will get old very quickly even if it's the best combat ever.

icon_lol

don't worry, I imagine at some point they'll work in a portable ballista that shoots out 5 bolts per second.

Because I can,
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 09, 2013, 07:22:56 PM »

Even if the game ends up having shallow gameplay, which was my concern while playing it at E3, it's absolutely gorgeous and an excellent game to showcase what next-gen consoles are capable of visually and aurally.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 10, 2013, 01:49:25 PM »

Ryse to be censored in the USA.   Roll Eyes

http://www.examiner.com/article/ryse-son-of-rome-design-director-comments-on-cutting-sex-scenes-u-s

Well, letís just say that there are certain missions in the game that have risquť portions. I canít talk more about it. Itís fine in Germany. Thatís okay in Germany. In the Untied States, we had to cut some stuff out but, yeah, there are some. I mean itís the Roman Empire, you know, and everyone knows what the Roman Empire was about. So we tried to keep it tasteful but at the same time we also rallied from history, you know, and try to make you feel like you are in that time period. And thatís not a euphemism for something.

Lame. It's ok to hack off arms and heads....but oh no....a boob!!!! Hide the children!

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 10, 2013, 04:34:32 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on November 10, 2013, 01:49:25 PM

http://www.examiner.com/article/ryse-son-of-rome-design-director-comments-on-cutting-sex-scenes-u-s

Well, letís just say that there are certain missions in the game that have risquť portions. I canít talk more about it. Itís fine in Germany. Thatís okay in Germany. In the Untied States, we had to cut some stuff out but, yeah, there are some. I mean itís the Roman Empire, you know, and everyone knows what the Roman Empire was about. So we tried to keep it tasteful but at the same time we also rallied from history, you know, and try to make you feel like you are in that time period. And thatís not a euphemism for something.

Lame. It's ok to hack off arms and heads....but oh no....a boob!!!! Hide the children!

I don't think it's boob.  My gut reaction is male homosexual relationship.

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 10, 2013, 04:38:16 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on November 10, 2013, 04:34:32 PM

Wow...if they really cut out a part of the game in just the USA because of a homosexual situation....the media will have a field day with that. I can't wait to see the LGBT protests outside Microsoft's HQ....

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 10, 2013, 04:38:25 PM »

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 10, 2013, 04:56:22 PM »

or Cartman's mom.

Because I can,
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 10, 2013, 09:47:26 PM »

The design director who broke this story has now recanted and says that all versions are 100% identical - ie no censorship.

If I had to guess what's going on, it's that his original comments were misunderstood - they could have had sex scenes for places like Germany, but those ideas were scrapped since they wouldn't fly in the US.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 11, 2013, 07:18:49 AM »

I wonder how they're planning on incorporating Kinect.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 11, 2013, 01:28:07 PM »

Well the Kinect 2.0 can detect movement in objects as small as a pinkie, so CeeKay should be all set.  icon_biggrin
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 11, 2013, 01:32:28 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on November 10, 2013, 09:47:26 PM

The design director who broke this story has now recanted and says that all versions are 100% identical - ie no censorship.

If I had to guess what's going on, it's that his original comments were misunderstood - they could have had sex scenes for places like Germany, but those ideas were scrapped since they wouldn't fly in the US.

Yeah, that would be my guess.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 11, 2013, 03:59:44 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on November 11, 2013, 01:28:07 PM

Well the Kinect 2.0 can detect movement in objects as small as a pinkie, so CeeKay should be all set.  icon_biggrin

bah, you embarrass me with too much credit  icon_redface

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: November 11, 2013, 07:38:21 PM »

A 180 on Ryse (almost):

I was not kind to Ryse: Son of Rome the first time around.

In my carefully titled Ryse: Son of Rome Preview Impressions piece, I lambasted Crytek's coming game for its heavy reliance on button-mashing and QTEs. This was coming out of Gamescom, mind, where we'd been privy only to a frenzied hack-and-slash co-op demo that I played through once with Carl by my side and then returned to slice my way through a day or two later with a bunch of strangers. Though I have a soft spot for games in this genre, I was left rather unimpressed.

After spending an hour or so getting to grips with the singleplayer component of the game last week at Microsoft's Xbox One showcase, however, let's say that my position has softened somewhat. We are not automatons, and so we get excited for and pass scorn on games just like anyone else. It would be remiss of me to suggest that I'd wandered into my session with Ryse with high hopes, it's important to note that. You never hope that a game is going to be bad, but from everything I'd seen and played, I was readying myself for a hatchet job.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 11, 2013, 07:40:46 PM »

what better way to make sure someone is dead than cutting off their arm, their head and then stabbing them, just to be sure.

Because I can,
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 11, 2013, 07:42:26 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 11, 2013, 07:40:46 PM

what better way to make sure someone is dead than cutting off their arm, their head and then stabbing them, just to be sure.

Romans wouldn't have lasted in today's NFL
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: November 11, 2013, 08:26:21 PM »

well, you always make sure to stab them in the chest, just to be safe.

YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 11, 2013, 09:51:03 PM »

I've watched a lot of gameplay videos and I think it looks fun. <shrug> I like the Arkham series/Assassin's Creed style combat though with the blocking and the stabbing and whatnot. I really think the critics have been overly harsh on this one thanks to the QTE outrage and mostly just because hating Xbox seems to be the fashionable thing to do. That may actually work in its favor - with expectations so low, it may surprise people.
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 11, 2013, 10:44:58 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on November 11, 2013, 09:51:03 PM

I've watched a lot of gameplay videos and I think it looks fun. <shrug> I like the Arkham series/Assassin's Creed style combat though with the blocking and the stabbing and whatnot. I really think the critics have been overly harsh on this one thanks to the QTE outrage and mostly just because hating Xbox seems to be the fashionable thing to do. That may actually work in its favor - with expectations so low, it may surprise people.

I'm hoping it will do well, I still have my pre-order in for it.  I don't think either new console has a game of this type for launch and I liked the God of War style of game (not saying this is going to be as good as GoW, just similar in some aspects).   
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 11, 2013, 10:51:09 PM »

Quote from: Zinfan on November 11, 2013, 10:44:58 PM

I'm hoping it will do well, I still have my pre-order in for it.  I don't think either new console has a game of this type for launch and I liked the God of War style of game (not saying this is going to be as good as GoW, just similar in some aspects).   

I think Knack shares more in common with GoW than this from a combat mechanics point of view at least.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 12, 2013, 03:19:17 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 11, 2013, 07:42:26 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on November 11, 2013, 07:40:46 PM

Romans wouldn't have lasted in today's NFL

well, yeah, without steroid use and all that biggrin

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: November 12, 2013, 04:48:52 AM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on November 11, 2013, 10:51:09 PM

Quote from: Zinfan on November 11, 2013, 10:44:58 PM

I think Knack shares more in common with GoW than this from a combat mechanics point of view at least.

Really weird connection there as Knack's combat doesn't at all remind me of God of War - it's basically Skylanders (including the upgrade system) with a bit of Kameo (element switching) thrown in for good measure.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 12, 2013, 05:10:08 AM »

totally weird.

Because I can,
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 21, 2013, 11:35:06 AM »

Reviews are rolling in

Polygon 6 - Pretty game but basically a tech demo.   I get the feeling after watching the video review the Reviewer would have scored the game lower

Joystiq 2.5 of 5 stars

Quote from: Joystiq
Ryse: Son of Rome falls into the trap of your typical launch game: it does well to show off the power of the system, but it's slim on substance. Production value aside, Ryse is short, easy and lacks the punch of other action games. For all of it's pomp and flash, Ryse: Son of Rome is a shallow bore.

IGN 6.8  

Eurogamer 5

Quote from: Eurogamer
By the time you've seen that ending, though, you'll have unlocked the majority of Marius' upgrades, and there's nothing like enough substance to the gameplay to tempt you to run the campaign on another difficulty setting or to lure you into long-term engagement with the two-player arena mode. There's no brains, no muscle, no fibre beneath Ryse's extravagantly engineered good looks - this game rings loud but hollow. Crytek likes to contrast Marius' moral strength with the vanity and cruelty of Nero and his made-up sons, but Ryse feels like a product of their dying empire. It's just empty decadence.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 11:51:48 AM by Soulchilde » Logged

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: