http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 01:25:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [XB1 & PC] Ryse  (Read 5394 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2013, 07:33:37 PM »

Crytek: Ryse Will Look Better On Xbox One Than It Did At E3.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2013, 09:11:19 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 29, 2013, 07:33:37 PM

I so want this to be true. This game is why I want an XB1. Hope they make it a pack in game or something down the road.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2013, 12:14:13 AM »

Full quote:

"I am pretty confident the final game will look better than what we showed at E3."

Looking forward to seeing how well they do with their optimizations before the game ships.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2013, 05:07:41 AM »

Another quote that showed up said that there was no discernible difference between 900p (the confirmed resolution for this game) and 1080p, and that the decision to lower resolution was made for (my word here since the original quote was vague at best) artistic reasons and would have been the same on PS4. I wish the journalist would have had the guts to ask "so are you confirming that all Crytek games this generation will be no higher than 900p in resolution?".
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2013, 08:46:08 PM »

http://gamingtrend.com/2013/10/18/rome-gives-ryse-new-screens-movies/

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2013, 08:55:34 PM »

I hope I get to gut that fat emperor, he looks like a weasel.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2013, 08:58:40 PM »

I loved the animation and art style for the Damocles video.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2013, 09:13:57 PM »

they should make a game using that art style.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2013, 06:49:49 PM »

impressions from Joystiq:

But it only takes a few minutes to realize Marius must have taken a few classes at The Batman School of Beatdowns. Ryse's fighting has a lot in common with the free flow combat of the Batman games: Marius can deflect attacks from any incoming direction, much as Batman can counter and dodge incoming blows from any direction, and both games employ simple striking mechanics and slow-motion finishing moves - though Marius' are a bit more final. Chaining together takedowns and kills is encouraged and even the camera perspective during combat is similar between both games.

Unlike Batman, however, Ryse doesn't give Marius that many moves or gadgets to employ. He has his sword for light and heavy attacks, his shield for blocking and deflecting incoming blows, his pilums (Roman javelins) that he can toss at will and that's it. Eventually Marius can unlock double executions to take out multiple enemies at once, but the entirety of what I sampled offered no hope for any kind of variety later in the game. It's sword, shield and centurion against the world.

they sold me with that.  Love the Arkham combat, and rarely used the gadgets anyways.  it was always annoying to have to remember which key to tap, and half the time I'd end up leaving bat hair-gel on the ground when I wanted the claw.

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2013, 06:58:01 PM »

This game is getting absolutely slaughtered in previews right now. It's the only game in the Xbox One's launch lineup that journalists won't hesitate to say is outright bad.
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2013, 07:21:38 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 06, 2013, 06:58:01 PM

This game is getting absolutely slaughtered in previews right now. It's the only game in the Xbox One's launch lineup that journalists won't hesitate to say is outright bad.
I'm shocked of all people you would take the time to post this here...
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2013, 07:36:36 PM »

Quote from: Chrisoc13 on November 06, 2013, 07:21:38 PM

If you don't have anything useful to say, you should probably just keep the console wars to the other thread.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2013, 07:44:46 PM »

Disappointing but not overly surprised given the number of development changes they had. I was not planning on picking this up anyway, but was thinking more along the lines of a rental.

I guess the good news for MS is that Dead Rising 3 seems to be getting really good buzz by comparison, so that's at least one exclusive that seems to be building momentum.

I will say, however, that not all Ryse previews have been negative. I've read some pretty positive ones as well.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2013, 07:45:42 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on November 06, 2013, 07:44:46 PM

Disappointing but not overly surprised given the number of development changes they had. I was not planning on picking this up anyway, but was thinking more along the lines of a rental.

I guess the good news for MS is that Dead Rising 3 seems to be getting really good buzz by comparison, so that's at least one exclusive that seems to be building momentum.

Yeah, that's a game I'm really envious about. Wish it was coming to the PS4 as well, but that's console exclusives. Tongue
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2013, 07:49:02 PM »

IGN's look at the demo.

Because I can,
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2013, 07:55:10 PM »

Game Informer: "Ryse: Son Of Rome Is As Fun As Dialing Phone Numbers"

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/ryse_son_of_rome/b/xboxone/archive/2013/11/06/ryse-son-of-rome-is-as-fun-as-dialing-phone-numbers.aspx

lol

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2013, 07:59:27 PM »

Gamespot seemed to love it.  I have a feeling it is going to be one of those love it/hate it games.  Still have it pre-ordered, but it could turn into a rental with a few more reputable sources chiming in.

Because I can,
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2013, 08:05:08 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 06, 2013, 07:59:27 PM

Gamespot seemed to love it.  I have a feeling it is going to be one of those love it/hate it games.  Still have it pre-ordered, but it could turn into a rental with a few more reputable sources chiming in.

Agreed. I really wanted this one to be good. This and Dead Rising 3 are the games that will sell me on a XB1. Dead Rising 3 looks to be solid....but this still has me wondering....

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2013, 08:14:15 PM »

I'm not surprised to see people's reactions after the poor showing it had at E3 and everything they've shown looked very shallow.  Seems like largely a case of style over substance.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2013, 09:38:41 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 06, 2013, 08:14:15 PM

I'm not surprised to see people's reactions after the poor showing it had at E3 and everything they've shown looked very shallow.  Seems like largely a case of style over substance.

Yeah this one had launch syndrome written all over it. Unfortunate cause I really, really love the setting.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2013, 10:21:49 PM »

But Purge told us it was going to be great! :o
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2013, 10:59:41 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on November 06, 2013, 10:21:49 PM

So did Ridah.

I think the SP will hold it's own - the MP has been hit-and-miss.

Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2013, 01:55:18 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 06, 2013, 07:36:36 PM

If you don't have anything useful to say, you should probably just keep the console wars to the other thread.
Links please to the particular previews you are speaking of. In terms of introducing the console war here why are you even posting in here? Honestly tell me would you race here to post if you saw good previews? Your posting history says no.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2013, 02:16:45 AM »

Quote from: Chrisoc13 on November 07, 2013, 01:55:18 AM

Links please to the particular previews you are speaking of. In terms of introducing the console war here why are you even posting in here? Honestly tell me would you race here to post if you saw good previews? Your posting history says no.

Probably this one which was already linked
Game Infomer:  Ryse: Son Of Rome Is As Fun As Dialing Phone Numbers

Even the Joystiq preview that "sold" Ceekay is overall negative and closes with this

After jumping through a few levels in the campaign, I grew tired of the gameplay loop of moving from area to area in order to kill the next group of barbarians. Ryse never hit a good stride and, in my brief amount of time with it, was all too content to beat me into submission through combat sequences repeated ad nauseam. The game offered little hope its campaign is intent on presenting anything to the contrary.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2013, 03:39:41 AM »

Quote from: Purge on November 06, 2013, 10:59:41 PM

Quote from: Canuck on November 06, 2013, 10:21:49 PM

So did Ridah.

I think the SP will hold it's own - the MP has been hit-and-miss.

and the Ridah knoweth.

Because I can,
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2013, 02:33:04 PM »

How about sticking to talking about the content instead of dragging us back into character attacks?  You could say something like "can you link some of the previews?"  I'd like to see them too.
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2013, 02:53:32 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 07, 2013, 02:33:04 PM

How about sticking to talking about the content instead of dragging us back into character attacks?  You could say something like "can you link some of the previews?"  I'd like to see them too.
Guess your post was helpful too right? Tilt has a pattern. It's gotten old. I'll point it out when I feel like it. I really would appreciate the links though. I'm not planning on getting ryse on launch, it doesn't really look like the kind of game I would enjoy but I would still like to read previews to see if I am missing something.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2013, 03:02:44 PM »

Quote from: Chrisoc13 on November 07, 2013, 02:53:32 PM

Guess your post was helpful too right? Tilt has a pattern. It's gotten old. I'll point it out when I feel like it. I really would appreciate the links though. I'm not planning on getting ryse on launch, it doesn't really look like the kind of game I would enjoy but I would still like to read previews to see if I am missing something.

The links are already in this thread, some of them more than once.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2013, 03:09:26 PM »

IGN seems to have liked it.     At least they hint as much in their 'hands on' report.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2013, 03:14:34 PM »

If it gets you to talk about content instead of attacking TiLT, then yes, my post was helpful.  We all like games, right?  Let's talk about games.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 07, 2013, 03:15:01 PM »

Please stay on topic instead of the personal attacks, which are not allowed on this forum. Some of us are interested in the games, not the drama. Thanks!

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: November 07, 2013, 03:17:22 PM »

Thanks guys! I didn't reply to Chrisoc13's request since it's quite obvious that any reply of mine will anger him further, and I'd rather stay silent than provoke him at this point, even if that means I come off as baseless in my first post. Anyway, the links are already posted here. There was also this, as well as a tweet that I later realized was from the same guy who wrote the GameInformer preview. I could have sworn I saw a video roundtable discussion as well where the conclusion was more or less "well, at least it looks good", but I can't find neither that or the thread where these previews were first posted. One day can do a lot of difference if you don't write down the sources the first time when the internet is flooded with previews that same day.

Regardless, I have no interest in this game, so I'll stay out of the discussion. My post was more of a "damn" reaction to the sudden turnaround in opinion about the game. Discussion and impressions had grown increasingly positive since the last time the game was shown in public, so for the first few new previews to be so negative was a surprise to me, hence my reaction. Chrisoc13 can accuse me all he likes of trying to provoke reactions or trolling, but since I know it isn't true I simply don't care what he thinks.

I hope those of you who buy the game are happy with it.

See you in the other threads! smile
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 07, 2013, 03:20:59 PM »

At this point, my bar is set so low there's really not much they need to do to make me happy to rent this (or buy if the price drops fast enough).  If I can have some mindless fun while playing a next-gen graphics showcase, I'll be a happy enough camper. 
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 07, 2013, 03:38:24 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 07, 2013, 03:20:59 PM

At this point, my bar is set so low there's really not much they need to do to make me happy to rent this (or buy if the price drops fast enough).  If I can have some mindless fun while playing a next-gen graphics showcase, I'll be a happy enough camper. 
I could see a rental but I would not be paying $60 for a next gen graphics showcase that actually only runs at 900p. Grabbing a demo would be a far cheaper way to show off the graphical power of next gen.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: November 07, 2013, 04:19:37 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on November 07, 2013, 03:38:24 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on November 07, 2013, 03:20:59 PM

I could see a rental but I would not be paying $60 for a next gen graphics showcase that actually only runs at 900p. Grabbing a demo would be a far cheaper way to show off the graphical power of next gen.

The game is still upscaled to 1080p - it's not like it's going to distort your television. slywink

I'm still interested in this title, and the gamespot/IGN comments kinda reinforce that I might enjoy this (Loved Batman combat, as well as Dynasty Warriors so I'm ok with this kind of grind). We'll see though - it sounds like (for some people) it missed the mark.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 07, 2013, 10:12:32 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on November 07, 2013, 03:15:01 PM

Some of us are interested in the games, not the drama. Thanks!

what if it is a drama game?

Because I can,
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 08, 2013, 01:37:25 AM »

Nobody is saying the game is broken, or that the game mechanics themselves are busted, just that it may be tedious/uninteresting. Whether that is due to a poor selection of gameplay to build the demo around or a symptom of the game as a whole remains to be seen.

At this point, however, I think I'm willing to take bored indifference over negativity. Every launch is going to have a few mediocre titles, but you don't want a flagship exclusive to be dead on arrival due to technical issues.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 08, 2013, 02:04:06 AM »

Quote from: YellowKing on November 08, 2013, 01:37:25 AM

Nobody is saying the game is broken, or that the game mechanics themselves are busted, just that it may be tedious/uninteresting.

that gives me hope that we won't have something silly, like exploding soldiers or ninjas appearing just to give the game variety.  it's ancient Rome, there was only a certain variety of enemies to fight; I don't want to end up fighting a barbarian in full plate armor astride a giant crab, with both the rider and mount wielding swords three times bigger than the one Cloud used in FF7 (patent pending).

Because I can,
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 08, 2013, 03:24:37 AM »

Man this forum is insufferable. Thanks guys. I guess I was too angry Roll Eyes please. It's a video game. I don't have time or energy to be angry about video games.

My post was about the game. He asked for links in another thread. So I wanted links too. Links from tilt, not from others but the person who made the post. Without tilt posting it I couldn't know exactly which previews were referred to.
Ironically it appears tilt had no real previews to show. Instead it's just "yeah what everyone else said..." so I think it certainly is very fair to ask for links.

"Personal attacks are not allowed in this forum" yes I had very strong personal attacks. Please. I want links and pointed out a pattern.

Seems previews on the game are mixed. Not surprising, thoughts have been mixed since e3. The mp has looked especially weak previously. May still be surprising on single player.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: November 08, 2013, 03:38:49 AM »

Lukewarm:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-16592-Ryse--Son-of-Rome-Hands-on-Preview---Are-We-Not-Entertained-.html
http://www.gamesradar.com/guess-what-ryse-son-rome-actually-doesnt-suck/

positive:

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/124944-ryse-son-of-rome-preview-playing-crytek-s-vision-of-next-gen-gaming
http://gotgame.com/2013/11/07/preview-ryse-son-of-rome-looks-promising/

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: