http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 12:36:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [XB1 & PC] Ryse  (Read 6490 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: May 22, 2013, 04:32:15 PM »

main site.

originally shown at E3 in 2011, Ryse is now an XBone exclusive.  Play a Roman warrior using the Kinect.

you use the Kinect, not the warrior.

of course there could be time travel.....

« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 01:37:45 PM by naednek » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PM »

According to the link, it's controller based enhanced with Kinect.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 09:27:22 PM »

Quote from: Purge on May 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PM

According to the link, it's controller based enhanced with Kinect.

yes, but you still use the Kinect.  I also LOL'd at there being Ryse and Reus back to back.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 05:51:24 PM »

E3 hands on.

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 05:57:29 PM »

This was the game that looked the least fun of all the games I saw presented at E3, and I don't say that simply because I'm buying a PS4 over an Xbox One. If the gameplay we saw is any indication, the main character will cover a third of the screen, you won't have any situational awareness (because of the first point), combat becomes a very dumbed-down version of the Batman combat, and every single time you kill an enemy, you'll have to go through a quicktime event or two. I simply can't imagine any way in which it could be fun, at least if the demo is representative.

One theory I heard was that the game was originally meant for Kinect, but that they changed it late in development. That would explain why the gameplay is so limited and basic.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 06:02:48 PM »

Most everywhere seems to be trouncing it.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 06:13:46 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on June 14, 2013, 05:57:29 PM

One theory I heard was that the game was originally meant for Kinect, but that they changed it late in development. That would explain why the gameplay is so limited and basic.

That is actually a good theory. I heard that you can use the kinect with the game....or the gamepad. It could be that they just slapped on the gamepad at the end here when they could see a backlash coming against the kinect on the XB1.

The game LOOKS impressive...but the gameplay unfortunately looks horrible. frown

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 06:24:27 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on June 14, 2013, 06:13:46 PM

Quote from: TiLT on June 14, 2013, 05:57:29 PM

That is actually a good theory. I heard that you can use the kinect with the game....or the gamepad. It could be that they just slapped on the gamepad at the end here when they could see a backlash coming against the kinect on the XB1.

The game LOOKS impressive...but the gameplay unfortunately looks horrible. frown

Should still at least be a fun rental and eye candy game.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 06:26:10 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on June 14, 2013, 06:24:27 PM

Should still at least be a fun rental and eye candy game.

"Rental".

*snicker*

slywink
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 07:29:37 PM »

Too much negativity here in GT lately, its an e3 build. Just relax and judge the game properly when it's out.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 07:36:06 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on June 14, 2013, 07:29:37 PM

Too much negativity here in GT lately, its an e3 build. Just relax and judge the game properly when it's out.

Why can't we talk about what we've seen? The game isn't out yet. Are we supposed to talk about nothing at all?
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 09:07:24 PM »

Honestly, the game looked awful and not like anything I'd expect from a next-gen game.

A new one
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 09:22:42 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on June 14, 2013, 09:07:24 PM

Honestly, the game looked awful and not like anything I'd expect from a next-gen game.

Even if you take away the prolific quicktime events you're not impressed?  I was drooling over the game demo prolifically until I saw how the combat gameplay was.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2013, 09:23:07 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on June 14, 2013, 07:36:06 PM

Quote from: USMC Kato on June 14, 2013, 07:29:37 PM

Why can't we talk about what we've seen? The game isn't out yet. Are we supposed to talk about nothing at all?

Yeah, I don't think it is just being negative to just say what pretty much everyone that has seen/played it at E3 has said. It looks good, but plays like crap. It's basically a Kinect game, forced to be a controller game. Which is too bad, cause honestly if it played as good as it looks, it would have really tempted me to get a XB1...oh well.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2013, 09:24:45 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on June 14, 2013, 09:22:42 PM

Even if you take away the prolific quicktime events you're not impressed?  I was drooling over the game demo prolifically until I saw how the combat gameplay was.

Well, I guess it was the package. A game like The Division impressed me because of gameplay and graphics - The graphics of RYSE looked advanced, but also lacking. It had a plastic look to me all over, and the combat was...very very bad yes.

I would have LOVED a game about being a Roman Commander, but this did not look like it at all.

A new one
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2013, 10:13:38 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on June 14, 2013, 09:22:42 PM

Ditto.  Really was into it and then the gameplay started and I was all NOPE.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2013, 01:20:09 AM »

"...but Crytek's new title might be the killer app that saves the Xbox One." - GamingTrend (sorry guys for using your quote for this post):

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/06/why-ryse-is-the-most-frustrating-game-of-e3/

Long story short - the QTE events (push X to not die) CAN NOT BE FAILED.

Yes, that's right. If you push the wrong button, if you push the right button too slow, or if you push nothing at all, you'll still 'win' the QTE events. EVERY TIME. BY DESIGN.

“We don’t want the player to feel frustrated." - Crytek developer, when asked by Kotaku.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2013, 01:57:09 AM »

Well it's about time Progress Quest got a graphics update.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2013, 03:35:44 AM »

well with regenerating health already common this is the next logical step.  want a challenge?  buy Battletoads icon_twisted

Because I can,
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2013, 06:20:48 AM »

It sounds like Kotaku didn't bother to ask whether or not this was true for the actual game or just the E3 demo.  I'm guessing it was just for the purposes of showing off the game at E3, as I would think most E3 demos are set to impossible to lose "God Mode".

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2013, 07:19:02 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on June 15, 2013, 06:20:48 AM

It sounds like Kotaku didn't bother to ask whether or not this was true for the actual game or just the E3 demo.  I'm guessing it was just for the purposes of showing off the game at E3, as I would think most E3 demos are set to impossible to lose "God Mode".

Yeah, I thought the same thing, that this was probably just or demo purposes.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2013, 10:18:12 AM »

Quote from: Misguided on June 15, 2013, 07:19:02 AM

Quote from: EddieA on June 15, 2013, 06:20:48 AM

Yeah, I thought the same thing, that this was probably just or demo purposes.

It doesn't sound like it. The devs explain that the animations just won't look as cool if you miss the prompts, but that you'll still kill the enemy. That doesn't sound like what you're suggesting.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2013, 04:12:02 PM »

I didn't bother to try this one at E3 since I'm not a fan of quick-time events, but my co-workers who did play it basically had the same thing to say: it was pretty much crap.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2013, 08:13:51 PM »

Well, that's too bad. This was the only listed launch title that caught my attention - not enough to consider the XB1 at launch but it did peak my interest.  Interest... unpeaked.  icon_neutral

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2013, 10:51:01 PM »

(pique (sorry))
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2013, 12:13:02 AM »

after playing some Skyrim today it occurred to me: the QTE killings from the videos seem just like the slow motion kill cam in Skyrim, albeit with added interactivity that could get you bonus xp or moneys.  the only difference is that this kill cam happens all the time in Ryse. 

hopefully they take some input from the press response and give the game better feedback if you do things right.

Because I can,
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2013, 03:42:19 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on June 15, 2013, 10:51:01 PM

(pique (sorry))

Noted.  icon_wink

-craig

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2013, 04:13:59 AM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on June 16, 2013, 03:42:19 AM

(pique (sorry))

Noted.  icon_wink

if only you had hit that QTE right it would have been spelled correctly.

Because I can,
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2013, 05:57:49 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 16, 2013, 04:13:59 AM

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on June 16, 2013, 03:42:19 AM

(pique (sorry))

Noted.  icon_wink

if only you had hit that QTE right it would have been spelled correctly.

And here I thought I wasn't supposed to feel frustrated.  Roll Eyes

-craig

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2013, 09:44:00 AM »

Gamescom: Don't Worry About Ryse: Son of Rome :

After a hands-on with the latest build on the eve of Gamescom, however, I have good news: there's no need to worry about Ryse: Son of Rome. The combat has plenty of depth, and the AI is aggressive enough that you'll be challenged plenty. Oh, and QTEs are merely optional finishing moves, with the giant button prompt over a foe's head replaced by a subtle colored outline around the not-long-for-this-world bad guy that corresponds to the button you're supposed to press in order to nail the best execution.

Crytek says they screwed up at E3:

So what the hell happened at E3? Crytek admits they should've shown off more raw gameplay instead of a "perfect" playthrough. "Without showing the full depth [of the combat], without showing failure [to pull off a move or execution]...did it do us some injustice? Maybe," admitted senior producer Brian Chambers. "It left a lot of questions."

Because I can,
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2013, 01:09:41 PM »

Creator of game: "please still buy my game"
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2013, 02:49:46 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on August 20, 2013, 01:09:41 PM

I have a feeling the game would be a top seller at launch even if it abused QTEs. It looks too interesting not to sell well at launch.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2013, 05:31:31 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on August 20, 2013, 01:09:41 PM

As being one of the people who's already played this game (Sean Lama dragged me over to it- they held the XBOne display open on the last day so I could play it) Kotaku's impression was so far off the mark. I had one of the develop leads talking me through it - you're rated on how well you do, and the "QTE's" are hints. You don't need to do them, and the combat itself was rated on how fluidly you played. Trust me, enemies were not polite - it played far better than it showed.

The "execution" mode (B, now replaced with red outline) allowed us to go into an intimate battle mode where you read the body motion and posturing of your char - so if you're bringing your sword around, hitting the lethal X button would execute the enemy with the sword. If you timed it right, you should be doing it before even the "X" hint came up. Same goes for Y.

QTE's are generally arbitrary button presses (YXAB) with no association to a given action (though there are exceptions) in a gameplay mode more similar to Darksiders than to Guitar Hero/Rock Band. This was button timing only.

From the interview above, it sounds like the core gameplay is unchanged, and they're simply moving away from the QTE stigma attached to their hint system. One of the things I recall the dev saying is that the environmental deaths (say, kicking a guy off the parapet, or pushing him over rubble behind him, or hundreds of other risks in the game) happen naturally and don't require you to shuffle them over to it and I got to experience a few of them.

If you executed a sword strike when an enemy had been trying to stand, you'd get one of many types of coup-de-grace depending on both combatants' body positions, or if your off-hand attack happened near an edge, it might be that you boot him off.

There were also other aspects of battle going on, such as ordering your troops to assault archers, keeping formation, launching pilum (javelins)  between arrow attacks, among other responsibilities of battle-command.

If you go back to the live-blog from the MS event, I recall even making fun of the "Saving Private Ryan" in Roman times. It wasn't until Sean told us about his experience on day1 of E3 that I had any interest in playing it.

I have money down on a pre-order - it was a fantastic game experience.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 05:34:23 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2013, 07:19:39 PM »

I really believe that everyone was out for Microsoft's blood at E3 and a lot of journalists lost their sense of objectivity which affected their impression of Ryse. Like Purge said about Kotaku, most of what I read/heard was way off base. I'm glad to see everyone else just now catching up to the E3 preview I originally wrote.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2013, 02:33:58 PM »

It will feature microtransactions. At least it's only for MP and sounds like a decent implementation.

-craig

Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2013, 05:55:22 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on August 20, 2013, 07:19:39 PM

I really believe that everyone was out for Microsoft's blood at E3 and a lot of journalists lost their sense of objectivity which affected their impression of Ryse. Like Purge said about Kotaku, most of what I read/heard was way off base. I'm glad to see everyone else just now catching up to the E3 preview I originally wrote.
That's exactly what I think happened. Ms could do no right at e3 after they announced the xb1. Everyone was out for blood. Conversely Sony could do no wrong. Ryse is climbing up my list of games I'm looking forward to rapidly now.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2013, 01:45:45 PM »

This game is not showing well at PAX

Rather negative IGN hands on, to the point where they question another IGN editor's preview.
http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/08/31/ryse-multiplayer-impressions

Also these wonderful GIFs

« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 01:47:30 PM by forgeforsaken » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2013, 05:44:45 PM »

good thing I'm not worried about the MP.  I figured it'd be like Jedi Outcast without the force powers, which I wasn't fond of anyways.

Because I can,
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2013, 05:37:27 PM »

We've got a pair of videos from Ryse.  This one is really hit or miss with me....I want to like it, then I see the dancing machine gifs above...
http://gamingtrend.com/2013/09/03/crytek-shows-ryse-son-rome-combat-vidoc/

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2013, 05:14:42 PM »

No one actually cares about this game for the multiplayer, right? I thought we all learned our lesson from last generation of games that ushered in all the tacked on multiplayer modes that could never amount to a dedicated multiplayer game.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: