http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 09:38:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [XB1 & PC] Ryse  (Read 6712 times)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
Re:
« Reply #160 on: December 14, 2013, 02:12:12 PM »

Uh, spoiler much?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: December 14, 2013, 02:47:29 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
The character he's referring to is Boudica and the overall story is one that is historical fiction mixed with a bit of Roman mythology - though the two gods/demigods are not revealed in the story.

I don't hold Gladiator (the movie) as anything close to what I want to watch again (that may be my aversion to Russell though). Since it was probably the biggest modern use of that time period, it will draw comparisons regardless of any derivative nature.

Ceekay, have you tried restarting on the hardest mode? How did you do? I found that because of my writing the review, I explored the nuances and found I could really appreciate the combat engine (it's not perfect, but it certainly is better than Batman). Did your experience devolve into button-mashing?

I found that the bosses weren't hard, per se, but since they held their blocking better, it required more use of rolling, and timing the big hits to open them up.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 14, 2013, 07:52:36 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on December 14, 2013, 12:25:58 PM

How long did it take you to beat?

maybe 5-7.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 14, 2013, 07:53:12 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on December 14, 2013, 12:39:24 PM

8-10 hours  max

I could see hitting that if you went for all the collectibles.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 14, 2013, 08:23:40 PM »

Quote from: Purge on December 14, 2013, 02:12:12 PM

Uh, spoiler much?
kept on getting cloudflared and didn't have the patience to sit around waiting for the system to iron out the bugs.

Because I can,
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: December 15, 2013, 05:35:37 AM »

Quote from: Purge on December 04, 2013, 08:50:40 PM

They tell me to tap LT/RT for a rapid throw, but I've found limited success in it actually working.

Seems to work with enough space, need to have enough distance from target to snap throw it.

Also, I'm really liking this game a lot. Not for everyone, and I'm playing at the hardest difficulty setting. I'm the type of gamer that loves going through the Batman Arkham combat challenge maps over and over again so maybe that's why I enjoy Ryse so much.  The onine co-op is a fun distraction for me as well, even with pugs.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 15, 2013, 04:04:32 PM »

Finally got my copy from Gamefly. I agree with the 6-7 scores so far. Not great but not terrible. I'm enjoying it well enough. Glad I rented it, but had I bought it I certainly wouldn't have been kicking myself. Seems like there would be enough replay value in going through the harder difficulty levels to make it worthwhile.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 15, 2013, 11:15:25 PM »

I have it and really enjoyed it.  I would place in it a nice 7-ish range out of 10 for a score but I can say it's one of the few Xbox one games that truly looks next-gen.  Yes it gets repetitive, the boob physics are lol and the ending was drawn out (hate QTEs though only having two choices helped me quite a bit) but it was enjoyable and I have a friend who's planning on teaming with me on all of the multi-player arenas.  I was hesitant to buy it with all of the negative press but I'm glad I did...it was a short but good game.  I'd love to see some single player DLC added though and the talk of adding animals to the arenas sounds interesting.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 17, 2013, 06:18:42 PM »

Final impressions after playing through on Normal:

I rate it a solid 7 - the game is just too pretty and the combat mechanics too solid to just give it a 6. Where it just misses the mark of being great is in the gameplay and length.

Better enemy variety would have gone a long way - if Dead Rising 3 can generate thousands of unique zombies, it's a little cringe-worthy to be fighting the exact same barbarian over and over and over in Ryse. The unfortunate side effect of this is that you know exactly what types of attacks to expect from every enemy, until combat becomes rote. If the AI was more unpredictable - forcing you to react in real-time to cues vs just memorizing their attack sequences - it could have been one of the best combat mechanics to date. As it stands, it just leaves you wishing for what might have been.

Speaking of what might and been, it's a shame to see such gorgeous environments wasted on linear levels. Sure, there are occasional branching paths that give you the allusion of freedom, but they typically end in dead ends with absolutely nothing - not even a collectible - to reward you for your exploration. It's kind of bizarre to hunt around these nooks and crannies and find nothing but intricately detailed wasted space.

There are other signs of a game with troubled development. Mechanics that are introduced that you never see again. For example, early on you can smash vases and urns for bonus xp and occasional health power ups. Then you never see this mechanic again until a couple of vases near the end of the game. There's a sequence where you order troops to defend themselves from arrows - then inexplicably, you never get to use this again...even in sequences where you're leading troops towards rows of archers!

I do hope sales are good enough that a sequel can be produced, and make this game what it really should have been in the first place. All that said, it was a fun (albeit quick) game.

P.S. I really enjoyed yelling "FIRE VOLLEY!" at the Kinect in my best Roman gladiator voice.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 06:20:17 PM by YellowKing » Logged
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: December 23, 2013, 05:54:47 PM »

In case anyone was interested, my review of Ryse: Son of Rome is up on the front page.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
:D
« Reply #170 on: December 23, 2013, 05:55:00 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on December 17, 2013, 06:18:42 PM

P.S. I really enjoyed yelling "FIRE VOLLEY!" at the Kinect in my best Roman gladiator voice.

I did it as Batman.

Because I can,
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 29, 2014, 02:58:27 PM »

According to a conversation I overheard between a customer and employee at my local EB last night Ryse will be coming out for the 360. It just got added to EB's systems as a future release (no set date).
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 29, 2014, 06:34:14 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 23, 2013, 05:55:00 PM

I did it as Batman.

I did it as Rocky, it just kinda flowed. firahvolley
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 29, 2014, 07:22:02 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on January 29, 2014, 06:34:14 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on December 23, 2013, 05:55:00 PM

I did it as Batman.

I did it as Rocky, it just kinda flowed. firahvolley

I'm imagining a flying squirrel voice.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 29, 2014, 08:58:44 PM »

of course YOU do
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: August 08, 2014, 04:30:59 AM »

It looks like somebody can put [PC] in the title, as this one is coming to PC this fall. 

Looks like Microsoft is making good on allowing more titles to come to PC.  Too bad it had to be such a mediocre one this time.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 08, 2014, 02:21:18 PM »

Crytek could use the cash too.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: August 08, 2014, 03:41:08 PM »

Quote from: Jumangi on August 08, 2014, 02:21:18 PM

Crytek could use the cash too.
Too bad they waited until Crytek was in financial trouble.  They could have held off a bit longer.

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 08, 2014, 05:59:48 PM »

I love me a good PC tech demo but for such I would not pay more than $20. Hopefully that's where it's priced at.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: August 09, 2014, 02:14:15 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on August 08, 2014, 05:59:48 PM

I love me a good PC tech demo but for such I would not pay more than $20. Hopefully that's where it's priced at.

Well, at least it's being published by Deep Silver and not Microsoft, so there's a better chance of that.  At least maybe during a Steam sale or something.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: