http://gamingtrend.com
October 31, 2014, 01:35:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [XB1] Peggle 2  (Read 669 times)
YellowKing
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 09, 2013, 04:42:05 PM »

Think this comes out today. I'm pretty excited. I have played the hell out of some Peggle on PC and iPad, and like Plants vs Zombies it's one of the few games I have repurchased for multiple platforms.

Looking at early reviews it sounds like more of the same, which isn't a bad thing. Only 5 masters this time instead of 10, though, with what looks like more promised through DLC. Game is retailing at $12 - I was prepared to pay $20 so that was welcome news.

Just hope it runs in 1080p and doesn't require a sharpening filter.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 04:54:30 PM »

this practice of dropping features from the first to sell as dlc needs to stop.  first pvz, now Peggle.  popcap should have never agreed to the buyout. 

YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 05:02:22 PM »

Not defending DLC necessarily, but Peggle 2 is 60 maps vs 50 maps in Peggle 1. Also, in addition to the trials, it also adds three bonus challenges per map. So it's not like they're cheating you out of content, just some variety.

My hope would be that future DLC characters would also come with their own set of 10 maps, which would make the purchase a little easier to swallow.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 05:04:43 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on December 09, 2013, 05:02:22 PM

Not defending DLC necessarily, but Peggle 2 is 60 maps vs 50 maps in Peggle 1. Also, in addition to the trials, it also adds three bonus challenges per map. So it's not like they're cheating you out of content, just some variety.

My hope would be that future DLC characters would also come with their own set of 10 maps, which would make the purchase a little easier to swallow.

ok, well that does take the sting out a bit then.  when you said half the masters were missing, my first thought was they've held back levels as well. 

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 08:15:01 PM »

since masters are fully animated, I'm not surprised it has fewer
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 08:55:46 PM »

the music and peg sounds seem dynamic now, kinda cool.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 12:20:03 AM »

Loving the new presentation and abilities so far.  The ice guy's is very well done and I love the smearing on the glass

edit: the gnomes music is epicly done, reminds me of zelda or ff
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 01:25:06 AM by Harkonis » Logged
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 02:48:04 AM »

Any major changes to the formula? Or just more of what we love about the first one with a snazzy new coat of paint?
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 02:57:37 AM »

couple new things to mix it up plus new abilities, mostly same stuff.  music is specific to each master now, including fever music (Ode to Joy is Bjorn's)
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 03:23:07 AM »

I'm enjoying it. It's more of the same, but that is fine with me. I don't feel that it is light on content at all. Yes, there are fewer masters...but there are more levels than the first. Seems like a pretty good deal for $12, IMO.

As for the problems with it, well the graphics are not mind blowing and it could have been just as easily been on the 360...though there a couple nice effects, like the snow guys power. Also, this game really abuses the Game clip recording and posting on the Activity Feed. It seems like every other minute it is recording a clip and posting it. Come on, EA.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 03:33:57 AM »

Biggest changes so far have been the addition of armored bricks (take two hits to knock out), and the new masters. Also, in addition to the traditional trials, each level has three bonus objectives you can try to meet. This effectively makes 180 goals in addition to the trials, so it should keep completionists busy for awhile.

The animations of the masters are laugh out loud funny. They'll "watch" you play and react according to the skill of your shot. There are a ton of little touches that really add a lot of charm. For instance, navigating through the menus plays a note from "Ode to Joy" so that you can play the whole song just by scrolling around. Each master has their own set of sound effects for peg hits and the end bonus as well. I was skeptical of the reduction to 5 masters, but after playing with all of them you can tell they really put the work into making them fun, polished, and very different.

I've noticed that barrel catches seem to be harder now, since the barrel is less forgiving of balls that aren't direct shots in.

If you're not a fan of Peggle (or just burned out on the concept), this isn't going to do anything for you. If you are a Peggle fan, however, then this is a really polished, chock-full-o'-challenges version of the game.

Spoiler impressions on the new masters for those who haven't watched the videos:

Spoiler for Hiden:
- Bjorn - the only carryover from the old Peggle, though you'll see original Peggle masters referenced throughout the game. Plays about the same.

- Jeff - The Big Lebowski fans will get a kick out of this troll who was obviously modeled after The Dude. Unfortunately his power is basically a rip-off of the fireball from the original Peggle. However, I find it a little less useful since its path can be slightly impeded by pegs. Still pretty easy to get a free ball out of it though, which is nice.

- Berg - Abominable Snowman? Yeti? Don't know but his power is one of the more interesting of the bunch. He freezes the entire board so that hit pegs slide. A sliding peg hitting lights up any pegs it hits, so you can set off some wicked chain reactions. The sliding action is limited, however, to prevent it from being overpowered. Pegs moved out of position stay out of position, which makes for potentially crazy layouts by the end of the level. I really like this power but I'm still learning the best way to use it.

- Gnorman - This little gnome has the most powerful ability of the five, a lightning ball that hits two additional pegs for each peg that it touches. With the right shot, you can almost clear an entire level with one or two shots with this thing. However, his levels tend to be really intricate and tough to keep it from being too easy. Easily my favorite power for raw destruction, but you only get one shot with it.

- Luna - The little ghost girl which has some of my favorite animations. She has probably the most unique power in that she makes blue pegs transparent so that the ball passes right through them. In addition, pegs that you've already cleared will return in ghost form (though like the blue pegs, they can simply be passed through). Cool power but another one I haven't quite mastered using yet.

shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 05:06:31 AM »

Really enjoying the game and the little touches are nice.  In the second stage watch the top goat's head when the scoring takes place.

davidrobots
Senior Lead Editor
Gaming Trend Reader

Holler holler get dollar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2013, 06:13:54 PM »

Oh man, this is making me want to buy an Xbox One more than anything.

David Roberts
Managing Editor, Gaming Trend

Twitter: @davidrobots
Nintendo ID: davidrobots
Xbox Gamertag: FencerMusashi
PSN ID: Fencer Musashi
Steam: davidrobots
3DS: 2148-8144-9369
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2013, 08:36:00 PM »

Quote from: davidrobots on December 10, 2013, 06:13:54 PM

Pretty sure it's just timed exclusive.  This will be out for everything eventually.  Really I want it on Ipad more than anything else.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2013, 08:37:48 PM »

I like the controls on it, but it`s peggle (the second). Unlike PvZ, they stuck to the recipe (for better or worse).

I`m going to fire up some MP - too bad there is no local MP (that I saw, anyways).

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2013, 08:46:12 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on December 10, 2013, 08:36:00 PM

Pretty sure it's just timed exclusive.  This will be out for everything eventually.  Really I want it on Ipad more than anything else.
yeah, it'll be out for other platforms.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2013, 08:53:15 PM »

At first I was disappointed in myself that I was using a $500 console to play Peggle 2. Then I realized that I was using a $1500 PC to play Peggle 1.

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2013, 09:18:22 PM »

seriously, a puzzle game makes you want to spend $500? 
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2013, 09:24:54 PM »

fun is fun, don't judge
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2013, 10:03:36 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on December 10, 2013, 08:53:15 PM

At first I was disappointed in myself that I was using a $500 console to play Peggle 2. Then I realized that I was using a $1500 PC to play Peggle 1.

and when you realize you could play it on your $100 phone, or your $300 console... (not counting cost of monitor/tv/phone contract)

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2013, 02:27:03 AM »

Your phone must suck if it's $100.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2013, 02:27:54 AM »

icon_lol

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2013, 03:22:36 PM »

Speaking of phones, I just hopped into Smartglass at work, CeeKay, and I must say I'm a little disappointed in you.

Lesse:

Killer Instinct: -- for wins. I have 9.
Ryse:Son of Rome: 255 dead, I have 867
COD:Ghosts I haven't fired up yet (XB1) - but you have with a "0". WTF is that?
Forza we're at the same driver level (2)
In Dead Rising 3, I think you might actually be a zombie sympathizer. Your 214 looks mighty impressive, until you put it beside my 52,335.

Hell I whoop your ass in Upload studio too!

So, the important thing here, friend, is WHY THERE IS NO PEGGLE 2 listed for you?

Get on that. Stat.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2013, 03:47:59 PM »

been busy with the end of semester.  I'm surprised I've killed that many zombies.

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2013, 06:01:32 PM »

Quote from: Purge on December 11, 2013, 02:27:03 AM

using example of last year's hotness, the Samsung Galaxy 3.  why, how much do you all pay for phones up there in the frozen north? 

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2013, 06:10:52 PM »

Quote from: Caine on December 11, 2013, 06:01:32 PM

using example of last year's hotness, the Samsung Galaxy 3.  why, how much do you all pay for phones up there in the frozen north? 

So you walk into a store, buy your phone for 100, and it's all good? Or are you STILL paying for it?

My phone at retail with no contract cost more than my Xbox One, Play-n-charge and the second controller with Play-n-charge.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2013, 06:10:59 PM »

I paid $20 for my phone, and it sucks, but that is because is uses WP8 smile

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2013, 06:12:13 PM »

Yep. The Nokia 920, awesome phone. I agree that yours sucks. I also consider that to be a user error (please replace user). biggrin

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2013, 06:12:53 PM »

like I said, it uses Wp8, which is why it sucks.  Please don't start sucking MS's cock about WP8, we've heard it all smile

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2013, 06:14:24 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 11, 2013, 06:12:53 PM

like I said, it uses Wp8, which is why it sucks.

Have you tried GDR3? I'm looking forward to the Q1 update where they add things that should have always been in there.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2013, 06:14:28 PM »

yep, and nope, doesn't make it better.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2013, 06:17:00 PM »

You know what? If I cared about collecting mobile games as much as you, I'd be frustrated with the platform. Since I don't even play the games I do have, I don't see it as a loss.

I'd give up my 920 in a heartbeat - for a 1520 that didn't come from AT&T. Love Qi charging, and 16GB internal storage? HEY, AT&T!! finger

slywink

But that still doesn't put peggle 2 on my phone. I have it on my console though... how 'bout you, CeeKay? Pulled the trigger yet? You know you wanna....

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2013, 06:17:36 PM »

soon.

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2013, 07:51:45 PM »

Quote from: Purge on December 11, 2013, 06:10:52 PM

Quote from: Caine on December 11, 2013, 06:01:32 PM

So you walk into a store, buy your phone for 100, and it's all good? Or are you STILL paying for it?

My phone at retail with no contract cost more than my Xbox One, Play-n-charge and the second controller with Play-n-charge.

that's why I added the bit about phone contracts, but yes, you could have gotten a phone on a two year contract for $100. hell, I've seen the SG3 even cheaper recently.  pay as you go phones are into that range down here as well or unlocked phones

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2013, 03:49:13 AM »

A Nokia 920 isn't a pay-as-you-go phone. Neither is an S3. (next year, however...)

My point is that the contract you sign devalues the product to you, but buying a $500-700 device so it can play Peggle, along with a plethora of crappy games with horrid controls is status quo, but people reason past it because they don't look at overall cost, and just upfront cost.

It would be equivalent to saying you got a car free simply because it was zero down, no taxes and no payment due at signing.

Buying a dedicated system with great controls for playing games? That isn't exactly deserving of ridicule, especially if there are other games you want to play on it. I get that buying a console for ONE game, one which you could technically play on a system where it is hardly taxing the resources might be funny.

I'd love it if Castle Crashers 2 came out on next-gen systems - fun is fun. Doesn't matter if it has mipmapping or ambient occlusion.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2013, 03:54:32 AM »

Peggle on the phone would be fun.

Because I can,
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2013, 04:44:41 AM »

I know people who dropped $530 for the XB1 and $200 for a fight stick just for the $20 KI game.  Some of them aren't even getting any other games.  People value things in different ways.  No need to be a dick about it.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2014, 04:25:02 AM »

The game is coming to XBox 360 on May 7 smile

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: