http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 05:49:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [X360 Marketplace] Clash of the Titans - I'll watch it next year...  (Read 900 times)
Sparhawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 25, 2006, 02:50:07 PM »

So I decided to rent Clash of the Titans (High Def) off of the Marketplace to see how the video quality is and to watch a movie I haven't seen in years; and of course the download is huge so I expected it to take awhile to download. Well, awhile didn't translate to 8 hours to download 22% of 5.9 GB, and that is with no other network activity. I played FFXII most of the time yesterday, with only an hour or two of Rainbow Six: Las Vegas while waiting for the download to complete. Had dinner, watched a movie... Yup. 22% complete. *sigh*

If Microsoft expects this service to be successful I'm thinking they'll need to upgrade their infrastructure a wee bit. Seeing as it is a new service, released over the holiday weekend, I'm willing to cut them some slack, but if this remains the norm for them and it'll take several days to download one movie (btw, I'm on a 8mb d/l connection) then I don't see this service being very successful at all.

And the 24 hours deletion that happens after you play your rental is silly, even blockbuster gives you 2-7 days before having to return the movie.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 04:09:34 PM »

I'm fairly certain that playing any game on Live (Final Fantasy, R6 multiplayer, etc.) will cause any existing downloads to pause - maybe all the FF playtime impeded the progress?  I agree though - slow ass downloads could be a killer for the service... thankfully, the prices on the movies are pretty good so I might give it a try.

Edit:
Major Nelson confirmed that they are having big network problems with the downloads and they are working on it, and MS is offering to refund $$ for anyone who's having problems downloading.  Guess it wasn't FF after all smile
« Last Edit: November 25, 2006, 04:14:00 PM by Dimmona » Logged

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 04:23:43 PM »

Quote from: Dimmona on November 25, 2006, 04:09:34 PM

I'm fairly certain that playing any game on Live (Final Fantasy, R6 multiplayer, etc.) will cause any existing downloads to pause - maybe all the FF playtime impeded the progress?  I agree though - slow ass downloads could be a killer for the service... thankfully, the prices on the movies are pretty good so I might give it a try.

Edit:
Major Nelson confirmed that they are having big network problems with the downloads and they are working on it, and MS is offering to refund $$ for anyone who's having problems downloading.  Guess it wasn't FF after all smile

That and the fact that FFXII is an off-line PS2 game.  icon_wink

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 05:59:52 PM »

Quote from: Dimmona on November 25, 2006, 04:09:34 PM

Edit:

Nope, I don't play FF11, but I do play a lot of FFXII.  icon_biggrin

I'm glad they're working on the issue and I hope I don't have to have my money reimbursed, as the process to make that happen is a pain in the arse.

Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2006, 07:10:07 PM »

Well the download failed 2 times and both times points were deducted from my account. I ended up calling MS support, spent about 4 minutes on the phone and had the points returned to my account. Lesson learned: Do not attempt to download movies from Xbox Live Marketplace for quite some time.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2006, 07:24:07 PM »

lol,clash of the titans was one of the first films i saw at the cinema(along with condorman)..when medusa came on the screen i screamed and ran out of the cinema crying crybaby and my dad had to run after me....everyone in the cinema was laughing..i was only about 5 years old..i've hated that snake haired bitch ever since mad

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2006, 07:27:13 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on November 26, 2006, 07:24:07 PM

lol,clash of the titans was one of the first films i saw at the cinema(along with condorman)..when medusa came on the screen i screamed and ran out of the cinema crying crybaby and my dad had to run after me....everyone in the cinema was laughing..i was only about 5 years old..i've hated that snake haired bitch ever since mad

LOL, you puss!   icon_wink
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2006, 11:09:42 PM »

I'll take "Things you shouldn't admit" for $1000, Alex.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2006, 04:13:25 AM »

I would really like to see what a movie looks like in HD to help decide if the HDDVD player is worth it-but damn, I dont want to download a movie for 2 days, and having to actually watch it within 24 hours after you start it is absolutely, completely, inexcusably assinine and stupid. Whose stupid ass idea was that? When you rent a movie, you get to watch it as much as you want until the rental due date, period. This is an awful awful policy that needs to be changed immediately.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2006, 05:34:55 AM »

Quote from: KePoW on November 26, 2006, 07:27:13 PM

i was only 4 or 5 paranoid..if it was made in 1980 then i was 4,lol icon_lol

good job i didnt tell you what i did when i was watching E.T. icon_biggrin

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2006, 12:32:33 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on November 27, 2006, 05:34:55 AM

Quote from: KePoW on November 26, 2006, 07:27:13 PM

i was only 4 or 5 paranoid..if it was made in 1980 then i was 4,lol icon_lol

good job i didnt tell you what i did when i was watching E.T. icon_biggrin

Oh man, when I went to the theater with my Dad to watch ET we came into the theater a little late....so we got there right when ET was being chased through the woods screaming at the start of the film. Needless to say I freaked out and started demanding that we leave. My Dad was trying to tell me that it was ok and it was just a small scary part and it would be over soon....but I would have none of it. So, we left with me making a scene the whole time in the theater.  icon_lol

Ahh....the good old days. I can't wait until my son does the same to me....  icon_smile

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2006, 02:25:16 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on November 27, 2006, 12:32:33 PM

Ahh....the good old days. I can't wait until my son does the same to me....  icon_smile
You hope.  I missed the end of Cars in the theater when my son peed on me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: