http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 05:35:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [x360] - Arcade Games  (Read 2838 times)
Lockdown
Gaming Trend Senior Member

LD

View Profile
« on: May 24, 2006, 06:17:55 PM »

Does anyone know of a direct link to a list of what games are currently available (via Marketplace or Arcade or whatever they call it), that also may have a brief description of what the game is basically like?

I have really been wanting a pretty simple, arcade-type game to play lately.  Something easy, pick-up-and-play, and just goof off for awhile.  I tried Marble Madness, and although I like it alot, I'm thinking I need something a bit different.

Any links anyone can think of?

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 06:29:10 PM »

Hoagiehead,

You never cease to amaze and make me laugh!  Why don't you just try the demo of each arcade game on Live?  Oh I forgot.  Handholding required!  Second tab over on Live and pick Arcade.   There you go buddy!  Tongue I tell you.  Those people from Philadelphia...  :wink:

I ended up purchasing Zuma & Marble Madness.  I'm going to get Crystal Quest as well, which I recommend if you want to just sit there and mindlessly move a little ball thing around clearing boards.  It is highly addictive and alot of fun.

Of course you could just fire up NHL 2K6 and play that since you playing video hockey is pretty much simple goof-off for awhile style of play anyway! :lol:

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 06:38:29 PM »

I have really been wanting a pretty simple, arcade-type game to play lately. Something easy, pick-up-and-play, and just goof off for awhile.

You'll get something like this with Table Tennis.  Simple and fun to play, but you'll have to put the disc in.

Can't help you with the link, sorry.  Be nice to know though, and more importantly, what is coming out in the future.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 07:47:24 PM »

Ask and ye shall receive

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006, 08:50:32 PM »

Perfect.  Just what I was looking for. Thanks D.

As to you Shifty....  finger   (that's Philadelphian for "Have a nice day.")

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 09:55:44 PM »

I have 7 of them.

Astropop
Geometry Wars Evolved
Hexic
Jewel Quest
Joust
Uno
Zuma

I like them all for different reasons.  Astropop and Zuma I found much easier with the mouse on the PC.  Hexic is like a zen experience.  Joust is the classic game which I love but wish I was better at.  Geometry Wars is harder than hell and I suck.  Uno is actually a lot more fun than I thought it could be.  Jewel Quest owns me.  It's kind of like Bejeweled 2 on Endless mode, but more of a puzzle game than just matching jewels endlessly (it has a goal).

I like the arcade for the exact reasons you mention.  While I could play all of these on my PC I prefer to just kick back on my couch and veg out.  You can play as long or as short as you want and they are always available to play.  You can try them out free which is a bonus.  

Plus, with Microsoft points, I have no idea how much I've spent.  All I have to do is press the blue button and I magically have more points in my account! :lol:

I just wish they'd get more games out.  Or maybe that would be a bad thing for my points balance.  As long as they keep the games varied (not all ancient arcade ports).  Where is Bookworm?!  Sounds like some interesting stuff on the horizon.

Might try Wik next.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
markus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 03:46:54 PM »

Microsoft owns me.  I have every arcade game except for Backgammon.  I like them all in their own ways but I've spent the most time with Jewel Quest (got all of the achievements), Hexic, Zuma and Marble Blast Ultra.

Outpost Kaloki is a nice little strategy game when you're in the mood for that type of thing too.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2006, 12:35:16 AM »

Quote from: "markus"
I've spent the most time with Jewel Quest (got all of the achievements)

I bow to you! thumbsup

Most of the achievements in JQ just take time, but that 500,000 point one is going to be tougher.  I could do it if it were not for those final levels.  Seems like a good drop is key.  I do find myself getting better, paricularly working on the harder difficulty levels.

I closed my eyes today and saw this game.  I was moving jewels around and I was scared.  I think I'll go play awhile. biggrin

markus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2006, 03:56:55 PM »

I know what you mean about seeing jewels with your eyes closed.  That happened to me a ton when I was playing that.  Now I see little colored balls due to my Zuma obsession.  :shock:
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2006, 04:14:03 PM »

I know what you mean about seeing jewels with your eyes closed.  That happened to me a ton when I was playing that.  Now I see little colored balls due to my Zuma obsession.  :shock:

So you're pretty much a drooling vegetable when you see all those colored balls in the McDonalds Playland gyms? Or do you dive in and start whipping them at their own colors as quickly as possible screaming "STAY AWAY FROM MY HOLE OF DOOOM!!!"?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2006, 04:32:58 PM »

Actually, I didn't care for the 360 version of Zuma (don't like the controls). However, I'm very much looking forward to Magnetica on DS in a week or so.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2006, 05:11:15 PM »

If they ever release M.U.L.E. with 4 way multiplayer I won't need anything else.  :lol:

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2006, 07:07:54 PM »

Quote from: "denoginizer"
If they ever release M.U.L.E. with 4 way multiplayer I won't need anything else.  :lol:

No no no... Microsoft needs to get ahold of Konami (I think) to release River City Ransom from the NES on Xbox Live. Then people will need nothing else to play. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2006, 11:52:29 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

No no no... Microsoft needs to get ahold of Konami (I think) to release River City Ransom from the NES on Xbox Live. Then people will need nothing else to play. biggrin

River City Ransom was developed by Technos.  If they also released Super Dodge Ball (also from Technos and sharing the same character sprites) I would agree.

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2006, 11:56:24 PM »

Yes, this reminds me of my other problem (since I am actually good at Zuma on the PC), which is playing the Zuma clones (Luxor and Luxor: Amun Rising).  It's like Zuma, but in Egypt instead!

I've recently been playing Atlantis Quest which is like Jewel Quest but Greek (and more variety in layots and the inclusion of powerups).  The only problem with Atlantis Quest is that it truly throttles my CPU for some reason.  I can't play it for long when my CPU is flying at 100% or my computer starts beeping due to the heat.  Too bad because I really like it, even more than Jewel Quest (which I never tried on PC). frown

Oh, and sometimes when I play Zuma on my 360 the contol gets all wonky and sticks to the four cardinal positions.  Seems to happen when I spin the frog between levels.  I just move the control sticks around until it fixes itself but I don't like it.

Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2006, 02:43:31 AM »

Damn, triple 2nd this. Even a just a straight C64 port would rock!

The Gone Gold Effect has a strong influence on the weak minded ...
GamerTag: Scoop20906
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2006, 01:05:07 PM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
Quote from: "Destructor"

River City Ransom was developed by Technos.  If they also released Super Dodge Ball (also from Technos and sharing the same character sprites) I would agree.

Konami, Technos, whatever. I was at work and a quick Google search couldn't save me. biggrin

Either way, RCR and SDB would be excellent games on Xbox Live.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2006, 01:25:12 PM »

Those are going to be available on the Wii Virtual Console right?

Main arcade games I've played are Hexic, Uno, Gauntlet (f'ing ghosts!!), and Feeding Frenzy. I can't say I've spent more time on those then the regular games, but it's pretty close.
markus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2006, 04:09:36 PM »

Quote from: "Purge"

So you're pretty much a drooling vegetable when you see all those colored balls in the McDonalds Playland gyms? Or do you dive in and start whipping them at their own colors as quickly as possible screaming "STAY AWAY FROM MY HOLE OF DOOOM!!!"?

:lol: Not yet, but come to think of it, maybe I should stay away from there just to be safe.

The fact that everyone is thinking of all of the games they would love to see on the Arcade just shows how genious the thing is.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2006, 04:29:51 PM »

:lol: Not yet, but come to think of it, maybe I should stay away from there just to be safe.

The fact that everyone is thinking of all of the games they would love to see on the Arcade just shows how genious the thing is.

Aye it is genious, but they need to start getting more of them out.  This snails pace is killing me.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2006, 06:39:10 PM »

Microsoft owns me.  I have every arcade game except for Backgammon.  I like them all in their own ways but I've spent the most time with Jewel Quest (got all of the achievements), Hexic, Zuma and Marble Blast Ultra.

Outpost Kaloki is a nice little strategy game when you're in the mood for that type of thing too.

I have all of them but Jewel Quest, Backgammon and Spades. I may pick up Jewel Quest though.

My current favs are Astropop (this game is ADDICTING!!), Uno and Geo Wars.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2006, 04:14:34 AM »

UNO is such a zen-like experience.  I've never even played online (where I hear is where it is really at), but I just enjoy the wonderful music and sharp graphics.  Seriously, I could just lick the screen.  I play this game and just veg out.

I do find myself starting rivalries with the CPU players.  Talking to myself with stuff like, "Why, orange player, did you fuck me like that?" and bitching about some of the poor strategies I see on occassion.  I really enjoy UNO and I am truly baffled as to why.  It's not a particularly deep game when played single-player against the computer but it just puts me at ease.  I can't wait to see more deck variants (and would love to buy a real 35th anniversary deck) and music.  The music is really relaxing.  I never thought I'd praise the music of a Live Arcade game, but this title continues to surprise me.  I just want that "Wild Abandon" achievement!

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2006, 05:08:38 AM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
I do find myself starting rivalries with the CPU players.  Talking to myself with stuff like, "Why, orange player, did you fuck me like that?" and bitching about some of the poor strategies I see on occassion.

This greatly amuses me.  Nice work.

gellar
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2006, 10:51:33 AM »

My wife, who is usually quite the calm person gets all riled up when playing Uno.  It would seem the purple player always has it in for her.  She will start cursing at the TV.  She then makes it her personal vendetta to take down purple at all costs.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2006, 01:57:35 PM »

I'm glad to see this isn't just happening to me.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2006, 02:00:34 PM »

so.....do you think street fighter 2 will appear with this (supposed)weeks dashboard update?

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2006, 03:54:58 PM »

Quote from: "metallicorphan"
so.....do you think street fighter 2 will appear with this (supposed)weeks dashboard update?

At this point I'm thinking that Street Fighter being released is a cruel cruel hoax.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
markus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2006, 04:34:49 PM »

IGN has a couple of previews of upcoming classic games:

Pac-Man
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/710/710559p1.html

Galaga
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/710/710560p1.html

Complete with video and screenshots to get the nostalgic juices flowing.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2006, 04:44:50 PM »

I hope you can disable those borders on Pac-Man and Galaga... with vertical games on a 16:9 screen... yikes.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2006, 07:45:53 PM »

I wish they could bring Warblade to the Arcade.  I need to check their boards again but the last I heard Team17 was in talks to bring classic 2D worms as well.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2006, 08:21:38 PM »

Quote from: "Laner"
I hope you can disable those borders on Pac-Man and Galaga... with vertical games on a 16:9 screen... yikes.

Or at least allow us to display the screen "sideways" if on a widescreen.  slywink

Me, I'm definitely looking forward to some good old Pac-Man action!  But Street Fighter 2... where oh where is my SF2?!

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2006, 08:48:27 PM »

IGN said Street Fighter 2 was supposed to be out on PartnerNet last Tuesday (that's like the developer-only Xbox Live test network).  I guess I shouldn't be surprised that they're filled with vile lies, though that stupid article they posted has had me checking for it every half hour the entire freaking week.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2006, 10:04:20 PM »

From what I've read, there is one guy locked in a closet working on this and has had some difficulty getting the net code ironed out for lag free play.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2006, 03:13:21 AM »

Sooo... recently discovered that I cannot play Joust or Geometry Wars if I am not connected to Live.  I'm wondering if you are downloading the whole game each time you play, or if there's another reason for this.

Was very frustrating when I took my 360 to a friend who doesn't have broadband.  Could only play the trial versions.

You would think it could just look and see that the profile has achievements for the game, so obviously I've paid for it.

In other disappointments I noticed that graw had some new downloads.  I thought "yes!  new maps..." and then I found out it was more themes and/or gamer pics.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2006, 03:10:26 PM »

I cannot confirm or deny that I am selecting my Street Fighter 2 character at this very moment.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2006, 05:14:54 PM »

Dogpile on Kathode!

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2006, 06:57:32 PM »

bastard! ::shakes fist::

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2006, 02:28:18 PM »

Quote from: "kathode"
I cannot confirm or deny that I am selecting my Street Fighter 2 character at this very moment.

I cannot confirm or deny that I am making puppies dance to "You Can't Touch This" at this very moment.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2006, 11:09:27 PM »

Dogpil.... err.... scratch that.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2006, 03:45:14 AM »

bastard! ::shakes fist::

+1

Jarrodhk - your account is locked to your HD, so yes, you're unable to bring your info to a friend's 360 to let him play the downloaded games there. Basically it's to keep you from copying your downloaded games to another 360.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: