http://gamingtrend.com
September 19, 2014, 02:19:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [WoW] Half a million dollars - an hour!  (Read 2412 times)
MonkeyFinger
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 17, 2010, 02:06:39 PM »

That's allegedly how much money Blizzard is making off the new Celestial Steed for WoW. Good Lord. That many people are willing to drop 25 clams on a horse that doesn't really do anything other than be all horsey-like? OK, horsey-like with wings of pure elemental stardust, but still.  saywhat
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 02:43:29 PM by MonkeyFinger » Logged

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 03:24:43 PM »

There are already so many of those steeds running around that they don't seem all that unique.  Or to quote Syndrome:

*Everyone* can be super! And when everyone's super--[chuckles evilly]--no one will be.

We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games - Anon.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 04:28:27 PM »

That may be true, but I'll paraphrase something I heard somebody else say: "I can go out and spend $25 on a dinner that I shit out the next day and get nothing more out of.  Or I can spend $25 on this mount and never have to buy another one in-game since this is good for all characters across my account."  C'est la vie.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 04:36:02 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on April 17, 2010, 04:28:27 PM

That may be true, but I'll paraphrase something I heard somebody else say: "I can go out and spend $25 on a dinner that I shit out the next day and get nothing more out of.  Or I can spend $25 on this mount and never have to buy another one in-game since this is good for all characters across my account."  C'est la vie.

damn that's good logic.  If I was currently subscribed I'd probably be running to buy one right now too after eading that  icon_lol

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 04:57:02 PM »

I didn't realize that a mount kept you alive for a day like that meal did...
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 05:05:10 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on April 17, 2010, 04:57:02 PM

You could be kept alive just as well with less than a dollar's worth of food.  We all choose where and how to spend our excess money.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 05:10:39 PM by EngineNo9 » Logged

Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 07:41:17 PM »

I bought one. 17 was a bit steep but the fact i can now use it on all 4 of my toons it's worth it for me. I don't have a level 80 yet got a 75, 61, 58 and a 15. Mounts never bothered me but a one for all works for me. I am also not bothered if anyone else has one i mean with so many peeps playing WoW exclusivety doesn't exist anyways.

I have to admit to wasting more than 17 on plenty of stuff from food that never even gets eaten to toys and clothes that never get used or worn.

Personally i am not for or against DLC stuff, if i want it and like ti i will buy it if not i won't. Got 2 of the 3 addons for Borderlands and all for Fallout 3 but for others i don't

Really it's a lot fo fuss about nothing.

KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 07:44:56 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on April 17, 2010, 04:57:02 PM

What are you saying... you don't like a cool-looking WoW mount?

Never underestimate people's desires to look good.  I sure as hell wouldn't pay 25 bucks for it because I don't care that much about looks.  But it certainly doesn't bother me if other people want it.  Precedent is set by what people are willing to buy, so good for Blizzard.
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 11:37:17 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on April 17, 2010, 07:44:56 PM

Precedent is set by what people are willing to buy, so good for Blizzard.

And probably bad for us in future MMO's, heh.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2010, 11:39:15 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on April 17, 2010, 11:37:17 PM

Quote from: KePoW on April 17, 2010, 07:44:56 PM

Precedent is set by what people are willing to buy, so good for Blizzard.

And probably bad for us in future MMO's, heh.

WoW 2 will charge 25 bucks per character slot.

Because I can,
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 12:47:59 AM »

I just dont get WoW these days I guess. I can't see paying for that..or heck even playing. I have not been in since 2006. Do I miss it? YA I do some. I had great fun in it. Heck I might again. But I just dont see myself resub'n. My best friend is still playing and asking me to rejoin. He has his own guild..good one too...and has maxed characters. But he is Allies on a non PvP server. I could not take that..I was all Horde on PVP. I doubt I can ever go back. WoW has been out there strong for 6 years! Geez. Something next needs to come out. I guess Old Republic will be it for me...I hope.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 12:49:16 AM »

I wonder what the next 25 buck mount will be... imagine if they did a new one quarterly....

Because I can,
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2010, 01:18:20 AM »

I always wanted a Gnome as a mount. Legs just a blur with a dust cloud as you go. Meep meep!

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2010, 01:21:43 AM »

one month armor, next month a weapon, third month new mount, rinse and repeat.

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2010, 01:56:45 AM »

I always wanted a giant turtle for a mount, and as far as I know the only way to get it was from one of the collectible cards from the card game.  Those things were selling for over $300 on Ebay at the time, so I'd consider $25 a steal compared to that. 

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2010, 03:15:38 AM »

As an actibliz stock holder 15 dollar map packs and 25 dollar virtual horses make happy. As a gamer they make me laugh.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2010, 12:07:05 PM »

I quit playing WoW awhile ago.  It became more work than fun.  I also swore that if they jumped on the micro transaction gravy train I would not be coming back.  I guess Im waiting for Old Republic now.  Nice way to make money though, program what amounts to a fancy mount skin and jack millions of people $25 for it.  P.T. Barnum was a n00b compared Blizz

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2010, 12:16:00 PM »

Isn't the old republic goign tohave micro transactions. Personally i think all MO's are going to go that route as apart from WoW how many make that much money.

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2010, 03:54:51 PM »

I can see TOR having micros. Like $8 for a lightsabre color or something. I hope not. But no matter..I wont have that item then anyways.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2010, 05:39:05 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on April 18, 2010, 01:56:45 AM

I always wanted a giant turtle for a mount, and as far as I know the only way to get it was from one of the collectible cards from the card game.  Those things were selling for over $300 on Ebay at the time, so I'd consider $25 a steal compared to that. 

wouldn't a turtle be too slow though?

Because I can,
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2010, 05:47:24 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 18, 2010, 05:39:05 PM

wouldn't a turtle be too slow though?

Depends on how 'giant' it is. 

morlac00 on PSN
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2010, 06:05:24 PM »

I've been back in WoW for two days and I've only seen this mount.  Anyway, it doesn't take anything away from the game.

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Mithridates

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2010, 06:09:43 PM »

Considering people spend somewhere around $150-180 a year playing WoW, I don't really see the problem spending $25 on something that will enhance your enjoyment of the game. 
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2010, 10:05:33 PM »

You can also fish one out of the ocean in the Lich King expansion.    It's a rare drop and you have to be maxed in fishing though.    I have one.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2010, 10:14:55 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 18, 2010, 12:49:16 AM

I wonder what the next 25 buck mount will be... imagine if they did a new one quarterly....

$25 dollars for a mount is nothing. There will be people who buy the $100 SC2 Limited Edition primarily for the pet.  retard
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2010, 10:33:07 PM »

I've already preordered SC2 CE but it had nothing to do with the WoW pet.

All Blizzard CEs are well worth it for everything they include.
brettmcd

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2010, 10:24:59 PM »

As long as the micro transactions are for cosmetic things like mounts that arent any faster or pets I dont see why anyone would care about blizz doing this.    They arent going to start selling things that give increased ingame benefits, thats the only time I would care about it and most likely stop playing.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2010, 10:35:40 PM »

Quote from: brettmcd on April 21, 2010, 10:24:59 PM

As long as the micro transactions are for cosmetic things like mounts that arent any faster or pets I dont see why anyone would care about blizz doing this.    They arent going to start selling things that give increased ingame benefits, thats the only time I would care about it and most likely stop playing.

Yeah, same here.  I'll be done with the game if they do that.
brettmcd

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2010, 09:24:58 AM »

Quote from: Jumangi on April 18, 2010, 10:14:55 PM

$25 dollars for a mount is nothing. There will be people who buy the $100 SC2 Limited Edition primarily for the pet.  retard

Ive given serious thought to buying the CE and then just selling the pet to pay for most of the cost.    Just not sure if I will play starcraft all that much.
Space Herpes
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2010, 08:58:55 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on April 17, 2010, 04:28:27 PM

That may be true, but I'll paraphrase something I heard somebody else say: "I can go out and spend $25 on a dinner that I shit out the next day and get nothing more out of.  Or I can spend $25 on this mount and never have to buy another one in-game since this is good for all characters across my account."  C'est la vie.

I have mounts for all my eligible characters and never paid an extra dime for them.  Considering how cheap mounts are in game, I'm not sure I follow this logic.  Might be worth it to me if it came with cold weather flying, though.

See the Mr. Sticky Show!
http://one.revver.com/watch/261625
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2010, 01:08:34 PM »

Quote from: Jumangi on April 18, 2010, 10:14:55 PM

I plan to buy SC2 Limited Edition, play SC2 for several months without using the pet, then sell the pet on eBay to recover the cost of SC2.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2010, 03:24:52 PM »

Nope, you can fish one up too in Northrend.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2010, 03:41:16 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on April 24, 2010, 03:24:52 PM

Nope, you can fish one up too in Northrend.

Yeah, I quit playing WoW before the Lich King expansion, so I never had that option.  Now I guess I have one more reason to go back.  slywink

Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2010, 06:13:32 PM »

The time draws near for me to hang up my fantasy hat and delve into the real world. My heart yearns to go out and meet someone and WoW is killing my social life. After we kill LK on 25m hard mode  I will be shutting down my WoW account for good. I'd quit now but I didn't come this far to just stop. We'll get the kill soon no doubt about it...

*sigh* I wish I was capable of balancing the self with the fantasy self but it's impossible for me. I should have focused all that energy on myself and a woman/women as I'm pretty sure I'd be a lot happier today.

God when I think of this girl...

MY HEART BEATS SO HARD. I mean I can't get her out of my head, I've never actually felt this feeling before.  Gosh darnit, I'VE BEEN SO SELFISH!

I'm sorry. I'm happy and sad. Happy because I know I can change things but sad knowing how much I've missed due to my selfishness and choosing to isolate myself from people. I don't blame MMO's or games, I blame myself for allowing them to make it easier to be alone when I've never actually wanted to be alone. It took a girl that I actually  talked to for more than an hour to make me look deep inside myself and what I found was a little man who wanted to get out...

I screamed so loud and broke down into a blubbering idiot when I saw how much I lost and how much I have to recover. This year is going to be a major turning point in my life... I'm turning 31 this year and I don't want to be 40 and unmarried. My goal is to meet someone, build a relationship with her and her friends and family, and hopefully down the line get married. Video games don't provide any comfort now. I am an empty cup that needs to be filled... 

Usually I'd hesitate to click post but not this time. I have to be more open with my feelings and stop hiding I owe it to you guys and myself.

I'm feeling confused but good. =)

P.S. Work is also a way for me to be isolated so no more excuses about "being too tired to do anything" so I can go home and hide.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2010, 06:14:00 PM »

Oh and I love you guys.

Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2010, 07:23:25 PM »

Wow.  I hope it works out for you, mate!

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2010, 07:40:43 PM »

he'll be back.

(good luck!)

Because I can,
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2010, 09:36:24 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 24, 2010, 07:40:43 PM

he'll be back.

(good luck!)

Nope! I will not resubscribe. (until everything is sorted out... no.)

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2010, 06:47:58 AM »

the hardest part of quitting a MMO is filling up that time with something else. i quit out of boredom a few times and almost resubbed out of boredom.

It also helped that most of people i played with quit. i really only came back when most of them came back too in wrath.
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2010, 02:51:08 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on April 25, 2010, 06:47:58 AM

the hardest part of quitting a MMO is filling up that time with something else. i quit out of boredom a few times and almost resubbed out of boredom.

Have a kid or two.  Problem solved, no free time!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: