http://gamingtrend.com
August 28, 2014, 11:26:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Wii VC/N64] Paper Mario impressions  (Read 1318 times)
JCC
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 17, 2007, 02:12:00 AM »

I know it's old, but screw it. I am sure I am not the only one playing this for the first time. I loved the cube sequel and really enjoyed the Wii Super Paper Mario, although I thought the first half was much better than the second. Now, I am delighted to play the original. This is also the only VC game I've bought that I have never played before.

So far, I have played through the end of chapter 1. It's amazing to me how the sequel is so derivative of this game. So far, the biggest difference is in the graphics. The first 2 party members are nearly identical to the ones in 1000 year door. Of course, this isn't marring my enjoyment at all. It has all the same charm, fun gameplay, and great humor that its sequels have. Thumbs very much up so far.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 02:28:21 AM »

I never played the first one either, so I can't wait to get home tonight and try it out...

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 03:39:44 AM »

I never played Paper Mario so I'm really looking forward to this. Unfortunately I'm away on business for the week so I won't be able to download it until Saturday, but I'm looking forward to getting in some gameplay with it then.  slywink
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 03:52:52 AM »

I actually had Paper Mario on an emulator awhile back but never really got a chance to play it.  It's one of the ones that have special combos if you hit the action button at just the right time during the TB combat, right?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 05:19:28 AM »

yeah i got it on friday Tongue(sorry couldnt resist....dont worry we havent got SPM yet)

i had never played it before and i am really enjoying it,half way through 2nd chapter now...amazed how big the game seems to be

question:super paper mario(for the wii)doesnt look like this kind of a game,from the screenshots i have seen it looks more like the game has levels rather than being an RPG like paper mario.....is that true?,if so that may put me off buying the game when it finall gets released here next month...also they all seem to be fancy 3-D versions of the old super mario bros games,which also doesnt appeal to me

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 07:15:41 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on July 17, 2007, 05:19:28 AM

question:super paper mario(for the wii)doesnt look like this kind of a game,from the screenshots i have seen it looks more like the game has levels rather than being an RPG like paper mario.....is that true?,if so that may put me off buying the game when it finall gets released here next month...also they all seem to be fancy 3-D versions of the old super mario bros games,which also doesnt appeal to me

Super Paper Mario is more like the Super Paper Mario games with some RPG elements mixed in.  There's no turn based combat at all, but it's actually a pretty fun game.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 07:33:08 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 17, 2007, 07:15:41 AM

Quote from: metallicorphan on July 17, 2007, 05:19:28 AM

Super Paper Mario is more like the Super Paper Mario games with some RPG elements mixed in.  There's no turn based combat at all, but it's actually a pretty fun game.

thanks CK,i will prolly still get it,but certainly not as excited when i first played paper mario on friday and realised that there was also a gamecube and Wii version sequels....definetly gonna get the 1000 year old door though

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 01:32:16 PM »

Super Paper Mario is Paper Mario without the turn based combat. The combat happens out in the world ala the traditional Mario games, but the game looks, feels, and plays much more like a Paper Mario game than a platformy Mario.

Back to the original, I am in chapter 2 and finding it much more difficult. Those stupid rock monsters have too high a defense for my hammer to damage. I am assuming I will get a new hammer soon, but am worried I might have missed it somewhere. I had to basically run from every fight with them until I reached the desert where now bandits are ganking me.

-John

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 01:48:20 PM »

Quote from: JCC on July 17, 2007, 01:32:16 PM

Back to the original, I am in chapter 2 and finding it much more difficult. Those stupid rock monsters have too high a defense for my hammer to damage. I am assuming I will get a new hammer soon, but am worried I might have missed it somewhere. I had to basically run from every fight with them until I reached the desert where now bandits are ganking me.

It's been a long, long time, but any chance the rock monsters flip upside down when you jump on them?
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2007, 02:15:25 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on July 17, 2007, 01:48:20 PM

It's been a long, long time, but any chance the rock monsters flip upside down when you jump on them?

Nope. They are spiked. Goombario's scouting report basically told me to run away from them.

-John

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2007, 03:14:50 PM »

Super Paper Mario is Paper Mario without the turn based combat. The combat happens out in the world ala the traditional Mario games, but the game looks, feels, and plays much more like a Paper Mario game than a platformy Mario.

hammer info
Spoiler for Hiden:
put this as a spoiler,just incase
i just picked up the new hammer,not tried it yet,it was stright after that turtle postman becomes part of your team after you find the 3 letters,which isnt that far into the chapter

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2007, 03:16:53 PM »

That is just about exactly where I am in the game. As long as I didn't miss it in the mountains, I should get it soon.

-John

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2007, 07:21:03 PM »

Quote from: JCC on July 17, 2007, 03:16:53 PM

That is just about exactly where I am in the game. As long as I didn't miss it in the mountains, I should get it soon.

hmm,thinking back to sunday,i think it may even be in the form of a badge...i just know it was in the shape of a silver hammer that i picked up,you should see it even before turtle joins you,but only when turtle joins can you get it because you need his joint help to get it on the hard to get to ledge

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2007, 07:23:06 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on July 17, 2007, 07:21:03 PM

hmm,thinking back to sunday,i think it may even be in the form of a badge...i just know it was in the shape of a silver hammer that i picked up,you should see it even before turtle joins you,but only when turtle joins can you get it because you need his joint help to get it on the hard to get to ledge

Oh yes. That's a badge. I am hoping for an actual new hammer soon. I know based on one of the quiz questions I got in the game that there are more hammers to come.

-John

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2007, 05:24:41 AM »

Quote from: JCC on July 17, 2007, 07:23:06 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on July 17, 2007, 07:21:03 PM

Oh yes. That's a badge. I am hoping for an actual new hammer soon. I know based on one of the quiz questions I got in the game that there are more hammers to come.

oh,i was thinking wearing the badge made your hammer turn to silver hammer so you could kill those spiked things and then take it back off when you were facing normal enemies later in the game....guess i was wrong

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2007, 01:02:28 PM »

BTW, I did finish chapter 2, and did get a new hammer in doing so.  icon_smile

-John

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2007, 02:56:22 PM »

cool,may have to be weekend by the time i get back to this....re-watching Taken on DVD and loving it,which is taking up a lot of mid week time right now,lol

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2007, 01:00:12 PM »

okay,just done chapter 2,the boss was easier i thought than chapter 1

did the little peach in the castle thing and know i have to get to the forest,doesnt really give you a clue how to get there,so i am just gonna go back to the station...its a looong walk back

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: