http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 07:56:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Wii VC] Microsoft is going to make me buy an N64  (Read 665 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« on: June 15, 2007, 08:16:19 PM »

I never had an N64, and never really wanted one, but now with the VC I am getting an itch.  I love platformers, and I'd really like to play Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie.  I'm also intrigued by Jet Force Gemini.  One problem, all these games were developed by Rare, now owned by Microsoft, and everything I have read points to them never appearing on the VC.

So I was looking around and I could probably snatch up a console and all of these games for around $50.  But I'd be bringing a 10 year old console into my already crowded gaming pile and that just seems silly.  But I might do it anyway.

(And before the first person pops in and says "emu", I like to play games in front of a tv with a proper controller.)

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 08:24:46 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on June 15, 2007, 08:16:19 PM

I never had an N64, and never really wanted one, but now with the VC I am getting an itch.  I love platformers, and I'd really like to play Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie.  I'm also intrigued by Jet Force Gemini.  One problem, all these games were developed by Rare, now owned by Microsoft, and everything I have read points to them never appearing on the VC.

So I was looking around and I could probably snatch up a console and all of these games for around $50.  But I'd be bringing a 10 year old console into my already crowded gaming pile and that just seems silly.  But I might do it anyway.

(And before the first person pops in and says "emu", I like to play games in front of a tv with a proper controller.)

Other than a small initial batch of units that tended to over heat, the N64 was a very reliable and excellent console. $50 is a great price for a N64 and the games you listed. If you have a GameCube amongst your current consoles, you can use it's Composite or S-Video cable to connect a N64  as they used the same video output ports.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 08:34:57 PM »

Banjo-Kazooie alone is worth it, imo. My favorite nonlinear 3d platform title yet made; it even tops Mario 64. Prince of Persia: the Sands of Time isn't quite the same genre; it's a linear action-adventure title, but for its type, it's the best of its kind yet made.

The reason I speak of Prince of Persia here that is to give you an idea of whether you'd probably agree with me on Banjo-Kazooie. icon_wink I actually thought B-K was a stronger title than Banjo Tooie; that one was a little too sprawling to be as tightly focused and compelling as the first title, though it was still a fun one.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2007, 05:21:56 AM »

plus Goldeneye!! eek eek

N64 was a great machine,and the controller helped bring along analogue and rumble,although i dont think it was the first...but it definetly set the trend

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
FlyingElvis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2007, 02:03:15 PM »

The N64 had a few great games (like the aforementioned Goldeneye), the Zeldas, Mario 64. See the trend? Nintendo first party games.

But overall, it was quite the disappointment compared to the SNES.

Now playing: Oblivion, X3: The Reunion
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: