http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 05:33:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rayman Legends  (Read 1301 times)
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 28, 2012, 07:42:32 PM »

A leaked trailer revealed the existence of Rayman Legends for the Wii U. The cool part is seeing the tablet controller in use during coop gameplay.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 06:48:44 AM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 10:19:22 PM »

Ubisoft did come out and say that this was an internal pitch video, so no guarantee it will get made, and if it does it may not be quite like shown here.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 05:58:22 PM »

Some bad news for people looking forward to this one at the end of the month.

Rayman Legends has been delayed once again, to "early September." This is annoying news for Wii U owners, who already saw it delayed out of the launch window and into February and March. But it's good news for PS3 and Xbox owners who had yet to pick up a Wii U, as the game is now planned for simultaneous release on those platforms. - Joystiq

Horrible business practice.  I have no problem with an eventual multiplatform release but delaying a finished game 6 months is unacceptable.

The forums are starting to go ballistic with multiple people canceling preorders and threatening to boycott the company’s other games.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 06:04:37 PM by Lordnine » Logged
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 06:05:06 PM »

Darn.  Was really looking forward to playing this game soon.  Loved the demo and loved Rayman Origins.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 06:32:10 PM »

The amount of hatred they are getting on their Facebook account right now is amazing.  I would say theyíve gotten well over 200 hate posts in less than an hour.  If they are smart they will reinstate the original release date and release the other versions with a couple extra levels or something.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 08:48:33 PM »

I imagine any minute now they will be announcing that this delay is not related to the game going multi-platform.

This really sucks, as it was the first game on the Wii U horizon I was looking forward to.  I don't even know what I'm waiting for now.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 11:19:52 PM »

Not surprising, a petition was started.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 01:00:44 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on February 07, 2013, 08:48:33 PM

I imagine any minute now they will be announcing that this delay is not related to the game going multi-platform.

This really sucks, as it was the first game on the Wii U horizon I was looking forward to.  I don't even know what I'm waiting for now.

Oh, yeah, the title I'm waiting for is Lego City Undercover.  I'm actually looking more forward to that than Rayman, so that's good.

Unfortunately, there are only two pages total of Wii U games on Gamestop (50 titles a page), and that includes what's been released.  Of those, there are only 2 that I'm interested for the Wii U until the ones listed on 12/31//13.

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 05:23:42 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on February 07, 2013, 08:48:33 PM

The development team confirmed that wasnt the case.  They aren't happy either.

I completely understand you but you have to understand one thing. This is not a decision taken by the development team, this comes from really really high up, so please don't pick on the game.

If you're pissed, imagine how we feel. Think on the situation, we've been making overtime with this game practically since May preparing E3, and then almost a demo per month (gamescon, Wii U presentation, shops, eShop, etc...) and at the same time trying to actually finish the game. We had a first delay because it was obvious we couldn't finish on time but we gave it all to be there on February. What face do you think we had when the week we had to close the game we're being told it's not going to be released? I couldn't believe it. 

For practical matters, you'll have to wait for some months for the game to be released and will most likely serve for more content to be added and do it better. For us, this means we've spent 6 months barely seeing our wifes, kids, and friends for nothing because, after all, such a haste wasn't needed. Believe it, it was a hell to swallow these news. - Xavier Poix
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 06:30:07 AM »

I mentioned this in my comment on the article posted on the front page. Nintendo must have originally paid for the lead time but allowed Ubisoft to back out of the deal because of lower than expected sales performance of the Wii U. That's my guess.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 07:30:47 PM »

They have over 10,000 signatures on the petition now.  Ubisoft offered a NEW exclusive demo for the WiiU which just made people angrier.  Now theyíve fired the PR person who came up with the demo idea and even the developers are publicly opposing the delay.

The whole thing is turning into a nightmare for Ubisoft now as even non-gaming websites are starting to pick up the story.  I saw an article on Forbes this morning.  It looks like they have their own personal ME3 style PR disaster on their hands
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 04:58:27 PM »

A new appeasement offer, the Wii U will now get the online challenge mode for free in April.  This mode will contain daily and weekly level challenges for between 1-5 players.  This will be the first time Rayman has ever been online and will feature leader-boards and more.

It's not what I wanted but it's better than a demo.  Doesn't seem like it's going to be enough to calm the fans down though.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 05:04:36 PM »

You know what warms my heart? The fact that our front page is beating you guys to the punch on news posting more and more often

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2013, 12:38:51 AM »

on the plus side of the delay:  30 new levels plus more bosses.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2013, 10:00:36 PM »

So is anyone else playing the challenge app?  Iím really impressed with it so far, despite being a free download itís one of the best things on the system in my opinion.

Iíve been getting mostly silver trophies in the daily levels but I have a gold in the current weekly as long as no one knocks me down before the scores are tallied.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2013, 02:52:54 AM »

Don't miss your chance to hear this stunning rendition of Eye of the Tiger as played on a Kazoo! New trailer. 
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2013, 08:18:30 PM »

Reviews are coming out and they are very good!  While this did end up going multiplatform it sounds like, if you have the option, the WiiU is the superior version to play.  I'm looking forward to picking it up next week!
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2013, 08:22:20 PM »

Tried the XBox 360 demo last night. If anything, it sure is a pretty looking game.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2013, 08:57:20 PM »

I think the title can be changed to include several more platforms at this point.  slywink

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2013, 11:02:48 PM »

Rayman Legends is now available!  Woohoo!

Iíve put about two into the game already and Iím going to lay some pretty high praise on it and say that this is probably the best platformer you can buy on any console.  

The controls are spot on, level design is excellent, the graphics are great and the game is filled to the brim with content.  In addition to the base levels you can also unlock ~40 levels from Rayman Origins.  There is also a casual multiplayer ballgame, a pet collection mechanic, scratch off tickets, tons of alternate characters to unlock and the very fun challenge mode that gives you four new levels every day available for leaderboard play.

On the WiiU the game also supports 5 player co-op with the fifth person playing as Murphy on the touch screen.  The most Iíve gotten to play is three + Murphy but it is a lot of fun.  Even better, because Murphy helps out the other plays instead of running the levels personally he is great for people who are not as good at platformers.

So Iím gushing a bit but the game really is almost everything I wanted.  I do have some pretty minor complaints though.  First, the highpoint of the game is the music based levels that were featured in some of the promotional material.  I canít say this with certainty since I havenít unlocked everything yet but it looks like we only get 8 of those levels.  The second complaint is that despite having online leaderboards there is no online co-op.  Itís generally pretty hard for me to get a bunch of people together in person so itís disappointing that most of the game will be a single player experience.
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2013, 02:05:13 AM »

Been playing the PC version and it's awesome.  The Murphy levels that have you basically pressing Y, in single player,  to have him manipulate the world works well without the touch gamepad of the Wii version.  The graphics are really crisp and there is so much detail in each scene even the background that you barely have time to notice is amazing.  I haven't reached a music level yet but the other music is pretty good.  I played Origins last night and so far this game is excelling in every area over the past game.  There are a ton of collectibles and overall it's a fun game to play.  It may not be as hard as Origins thanks to the reworked checkpoint system but that only makes me like it more. 

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2013, 03:47:31 PM »

I went Wii U, since Eurogamer called it the definitive platform in their comparison (I had some issues getting Murph to where I could press the interact button on the 360).

I played for an hour or so last night and really, really loved it.  There is soooo much to do. 

I got stuck in a timesink trying to top Lordnine's Daily Challenge score (which I did, by the way  icon_razz).  I normally don't go in for those types of things, either, but it was fast and really fun.

I'm hoping to get some MP in with my daughter later, too, to see how that goes.

Overall, it is just fantastic.  A must own for every gamer.

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2013, 04:55:45 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on September 04, 2013, 03:47:31 PM

I got stuck in a timesink trying to top Lordnine's Daily Challenge score (which I did, by the way  icon_razz).  I normally don't go in for those types of things, either, but it was fast and really fun.

Hah, Iím out of practice on those.  Back when I used to play every day I was getting Gold on every challenge.  When I played yesterday I had to fight just to get silver.

-- Edit --

Ok Sir! I have a gold trophy for today's challenge.  Beat that one!   icon_biggrin
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 01:59:16 AM by Lordnine » Logged
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2013, 03:30:52 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on September 04, 2013, 04:55:45 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on September 04, 2013, 03:47:31 PM

I got stuck in a timesink trying to top Lordnine's Daily Challenge score (which I did, by the way  icon_razz).  I normally don't go in for those types of things, either, but it was fast and really fun.

Hah, Iím out of practice on those.  Back when I used to play every day I was getting Gold on every challenge.  When I played yesterday I had to fight just to get silver.

-- Edit --

Ok Sir! I have a gold trophy for today's challenge.  Beat that one!   icon_biggrin

I doubt I'll even come close.

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2013, 12:19:49 AM »

Tonight I encountered my first invasion.  That was brutal. 

Quite a surprise but one of the gamepad based levels has been my favorite so far; itís called What the Duck.  You have to carve out sections of the level so that the main character, who has been turned into a duck, can navigate it safely.  If anyone with a non WiiU version of the game can chime in I would be really interested to know how that one works on other systems.
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2013, 01:18:23 AM »

I saw in GB quicklook as I'm not quite to that level myself, Murphy flies around in a set path and you have to time the button press to have him remove a part of the level at the right time.  It seemed to slow the platforming down quite a bit so not as good as on the WiiU or Vita.

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2013, 01:28:18 AM »

That is a bit lame.  I knew that is how they did other Murphy levels but I was expecting something more there since part of the fun is making the paths, not just making the most efficient routes.
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2013, 03:41:48 AM »

Quote from: Lordnine on September 06, 2013, 01:28:18 AM

That is a bit lame.  I knew that is how they did other Murphy levels but I was expecting something more there since part of the fun is making the paths, not just making the most efficient routes.
I reached that level after I posted and playing it was more frustrating than fun, I can see the touch mechanics working well there.  The other Murphy levels haven't been that bad. 

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2013, 12:58:01 AM »

The underwater stealth levels are good!  Has that ever been said before?    icon_biggrin
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2013, 03:32:42 PM »

Absolutely loving this game on Wii U.  Game is beautiful, which I knew it would be since Origins was wonderful, but I had a blast playing with my daughter last night and having us work together with me controlling Murfy and her doing the platforming.  She is in love with the game, which is great to see.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2013, 03:02:41 PM »

I unlocked an Origins level last night, and playing it makes the amount of work that went into honing Legends evident.  Origins was a good game, for sure, but Legends has improved on it in every conceivable way.

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2013, 03:40:53 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on September 08, 2013, 03:02:41 PM

I unlocked an Origins level last night, and playing it makes the amount of work that went into honing Legends evident.  Origins was a good game, for sure, but Legends has improved on it in every conceivable way.
I agree with that; Origins was also considerably less forgiving.  Rayman Legends is much more generous with checkpoints which alleviates a lot of the frustration with trying to explore and collect everything.

I did recently unlock one of the Origins Mosquito levels though and that made me realize how much I miss those.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2013, 04:04:56 AM »

So is anyone else playing the WiiU version?  I wouldnít mind having a few more people on my friends list to compete against.

Tonight I got past the World 4 boss.  I greatly enjoyed the stealthy take on the water levels.  Iím consistently impressed with how good most of the levels are and the fact that the further in the game I get the better they are.  Most games frontload their content and by the time you get the middle/end itís dragging it's heels so this is quite refreshing.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2013, 02:37:54 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on September 13, 2013, 04:04:56 AM

So is anyone else playing the WiiU version?  I wouldnít mind having a few more people on my friends list to compete against.

Tonight I got past the World 4 boss.  I greatly enjoyed the stealthy take on the water levels.  Iím consistently impressed with how good most of the levels are and the fact that the further in the game I get the better they are.  Most games frontload their content and by the time you get the middle/end itís dragging it's heels so this is quite refreshing.

I have it.  My Nintendo ID is TheGrue72 (somehow, even though I got the Wii U on launch, TheGrue was already taken).

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2013, 04:10:54 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on September 13, 2013, 02:37:54 PM

I have it.  My Nintendo ID is TheGrue72 (somehow, even though I got the Wii U on launch, TheGrue was already taken).
Ah, you're already on my friends-list but you never accepted me back.  I'm Lordnine.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2013, 06:09:29 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on September 13, 2013, 04:10:54 PM

Quote from: The Grue on September 13, 2013, 02:37:54 PM

Ah, you're already on my friends-list but you never accepted me back.  I'm Lordnine.

I know there are two ways to send a friend request and only one lets the other person know.  I'll take a look and see if I see the invite and if not, send the request.

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2013, 03:48:28 PM »

I finished the main game last night!  Given how much the aesthetic changed and the introduction of the swarming enemies, the final world felt almost like a different game, although an equally good one so Iím OK with that.

Iím still 20 Teensy coins short of unlocking the bonus world so I donít think that will take too long.  I still have most of the Origins levels to play through as well.

Quote from: The Grue on September 13, 2013, 06:09:29 PM

I know there are two ways to send a friend request and only one lets the other person know.  I'll take a look and see if I see the invite and if not, send the request.
Still doesn't look like you accepted.  I canceled and sent another request.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2013, 06:09:15 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on September 19, 2013, 03:48:28 PM

Still doesn't look like you accepted.  I canceled and sent another request.

That is because it completely slipped my mind.  I will make sure to look tonight when I get home.  Actually, maybe I can do this from the Miiverse in a browser.  Let me go check.

Edit - Nope, can't do it that way.  Will do my best to remember tonight!

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2013, 09:40:41 PM »

I unlocked the final world.  If anyone wants to know if itís worth it here is what you get.  One completely new song level unlocked immediately plus 8-bit versions of all the previous song levels.  Pretty cool in my opinion.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2013, 02:24:39 PM »

I added you as a friend.  You did the way that doesn't send a notification, but once I added you, it worked.  The way you want to actually add friends that sends them a notification is through Miiverse.  It's a little bit hidden, but it actually sends a request.  Nintendo sure knows how to do online friends in a stupid way...I mean why would you give two ways for people to do this, both of which work differently, but ultimately end up with the goal of getting a friend added?

My daughter has been playing this game and she got stuck on what I think was the last level.  I got her through it, but I didn't see what it unlocked.  She mentioned it unlocked a new music level, but I didn't know about the 8-bit stuff.  I need to get the game finished on my profile now.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: