http://gamingtrend.com
October 24, 2014, 05:17:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Wii U] Lego City Undercover  (Read 2615 times)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2013, 07:06:45 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on March 20, 2013, 06:43:22 PM

March 18th was the release date, at-least in the US.  Apparently there is a shipping shortage a lot of places are experiencing though.  Nintendo also priced the eshop version incorrectly on release.  Anyone who purchased on release day is getting a $10 refund.

After doing some digging I did find some comparison people have had between the start-up load times and in game load times.  There is some variance based on the quality of external drive you use but most people experience 15-20 second faster boot up times and 5-8 second faster in game load times when using the downloaded version versus the disk version.  Not exactly a huge difference but it might be enough to sway people towards the download version if you have a HD handy.

Can you use an SSD…

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2013, 07:48:01 PM »

Quote from: Reemul on March 20, 2013, 05:43:20 PM

Quote from: Lordnine on March 20, 2013, 05:41:02 PM

So did anyone pick this up?  I ended up holding off after learning that I wouldnít be able to download it without an add-on hard drive. 

Don't think it's actually out yet, next Tuesday could be US release date and Thurs in Europe/UK due to the Bank Holiday weekend.

I just ran and picked up a copy at Walmart.  I don't even have the Wii U yet. smile

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2013, 08:44:46 PM »

Quote from: Purge on March 20, 2013, 07:06:45 PM

Quote from: Lordnine on March 20, 2013, 06:43:22 PM

March 18th was the release date, at-least in the US.  Apparently there is a shipping shortage a lot of places are experiencing though.  Nintendo also priced the eshop version incorrectly on release.  Anyone who purchased on release day is getting a $10 refund.

After doing some digging I did find some comparison people have had between the start-up load times and in game load times.  There is some variance based on the quality of external drive you use but most people experience 15-20 second faster boot up times and 5-8 second faster in game load times when using the downloaded version versus the disk version.  Not exactly a huge difference but it might be enough to sway people towards the download version if you have a HD handy.

Can you use an SSD…

Is that solid state drive?  You can use any hard drive (2TB and under) that uses a dedicated power supply.  The hard drive has to be formatted for the Wii U though, meaning you canít use the device for any other purpose after format it.  Also, the WiiU is USB2.0 only.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2013, 09:39:49 PM »

I got it today at Target, but haven't played yet.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2013, 10:44:27 PM »

My Amazon order is still not showing a definite ship date, so I stopped by Target last night but they told me it wouldn't be available until today (despite their website saying released on the 18th).  Seems like a bit of a fustercluck on getting it out the door and on shelves at the right time, honestly.

I guess I'll be stopping by again tonight on my way home to pick it up regardless.  smile

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2013, 10:54:30 PM »

Frustrating in that normally the US gets them on a Tuesday and UK on the Friday. Could be with MH3U out this Friday they have delayed it for the Easter weekend. Hopefully Monster Hunter arrives tomorrow, and Lego for a 5 day Easter break should be perfect as well.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2013, 11:06:06 PM »

Ooh, is this weekend Easter?  I wonder if I get any time off work...  EDIT: nvm, I looked it up and I guess it's next week.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2013, 11:30:22 PM »

IN!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2013, 06:04:17 AM »

Quote from: JuniorDan on March 20, 2013, 06:57:30 PM

Quote from: Reemul on March 20, 2013, 05:43:20 PM

Quote from: Lordnine on March 20, 2013, 05:41:02 PM

So did anyone pick this up?  I ended up holding off after learning that I wouldnít be able to download it without an add-on hard drive. 

Don't think it's actually out yet, next Tuesday could be US release date and Thurs in Europe/UK due to the Bank Holiday weekend.

Just picked it up at BestBuy.

So did I. They had copies there yesterday but wouldn't release them as today (Wed the 20th) was the street date in their system.  icon_confused

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2013, 07:31:42 AM »

I've played for a couple hours and so far it's pretty much as expected and I'm having fun.  As mentioned before, the loading times are a bit long, and I do wish the vehicles were more fun to drive, but it's still lots of fun and it seems like there will be a ton of things to unlock over time.   icon_biggrin

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2013, 01:00:46 PM »

Yeah, the load times really kill this thing.

The driving isn't as bad as I was fearing, but that aspect clearly needed just a little bit more time in the oven.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2013, 02:24:52 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 21, 2013, 01:00:46 PM

The driving isn't as bad as I was fearing, but that aspect clearly needed just a little bit more time in the oven.

Is it possible to install to an external hard drive or even something they may look at?

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2013, 03:31:10 PM »

Quote from: Reemul on March 21, 2013, 02:24:52 PM

Is it possible to install to an external hard drive or even something they may look at?
Ahem.  Tongue

Quote from: Lordnine on March 20, 2013, 08:44:46 PM

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2013, 04:31:25 PM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the Wii U has the option to install if you have the disc version, unlike the 360 or PS3.  You either buy the download version from the start or not.

Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2013, 04:51:40 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on March 21, 2013, 03:31:10 PM

Quote from: Reemul on March 21, 2013, 02:24:52 PM

Ahem.  Tongue

Quote from: Lordnine on March 20, 2013, 08:44:46 PM

yeah what I meant was could you buy the disc version, add an external drive and install to it. I have 2 500gig HDD's doing nothing much and could stick one on the Wii U because i'm not keen on buying the download and being stuck with it on my one console, also there is no trade in value but whether this is something I would keep after completing im not sure.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2013, 04:54:32 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on March 21, 2013, 04:31:25 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the Wii U has the option to install if you have the disc version, unlike the 360 or PS3.  You either buy the download version from the start or not.

The 360 only uses the DVD to validate the install - it runs of the HDD at that point. If you want a data-only license witout disc dependency, then yeah, you gotta buy it online.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2013, 06:17:33 PM »

Honestly, Reemul, if you are more interested in having the disc version I wouldn't let the load times put you off.  It's a minor annoyance on a fun game, and once you're past the intro stuff it seems like you hit loading screens less often. 

Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2013, 07:43:51 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on March 21, 2013, 06:17:33 PM

Honestly, Reemul, if you are more interested in having the disc version I wouldn't let the load times put you off.  It's a minor annoyance on a fun game, and once you're past the intro stuff it seems like you hit loading screens less often.  

That's good, i'm not overly bothered by the loading screen, its the nipper i'm thinking off, they can lose focus in the time it takes to say hello to them  icon_biggrin

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2013, 11:31:42 PM »

Yeah, the game seems to be worth the load wait.  However, it is annoying when you're looking at it.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2013, 07:00:26 PM »

After playing a few hours with my boys I will say that the load times were never an issue.  Yes they are not fast but it wasn't enough to impact the game for me.

I love this system!

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2013, 09:46:49 PM »

So this is maybe a dumb question, but can anyone see a purpose behind collecting studs (aka coins) in the main world?  They don't seem to be used to buy anything, and you're not working towards the True Adventurer/City Hero badge when not in a mission area, so it seems kind of pointless.  And strange, since there is the new system of collecting bricks to build Super Builds.

Also, I keep seeing that I unlock other characters and cars when doing things, but I can't actually access them.  What's up with that?  Does the open world also have a free play toggle or something?

Anyway, still having lots of fun with this one.  I have played for maybe 5 hours so far but I don't think I'm very far along the completion percentage.  Even just running around the city and exploring is always fun for me, like most open world games, and this one has lots of micro games and stuff to find.  smile

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2013, 09:53:44 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on March 22, 2013, 09:46:49 PM

So this is maybe a dumb question, but can anyone see a purpose behind collecting studs (aka coins) in the main world?  They don't seem to be used to buy anything, and you're not working towards the True Adventurer/City Hero badge when not in a mission area, so it seems kind of pointless.  And strange, since there is the new system of collecting bricks to build Super Builds.

Also, I keep seeing that I unlock other characters and cars when doing things, but I can't actually access them.  What's up with that?  Does the open world also have a free play toggle or something?

Anyway, still having lots of fun with this one.  I have played for maybe 5 hours so far but I don't think I'm very far along the completion percentage.  Even just running around the city and exploring is always fun for me, like most open world games, and this one has lots of micro games and stuff to find.  smile

You use the studs to buy the characters and red bricks you unlock.  Unlocking them just gives you the ability to buy them. The studs are very important, at least for the bricks.  I usually don't buy characters until I'm loaded with studs from the multiplier bricks (like before a free play play through).

You can get both of those things back at the police station, by the way.

The 2X red brick is easy to get in the 4th mission, IIRC (the prison one).  It makes a difference right away, basically.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2013, 02:41:16 PM »

damn, no Gamefly delivery yet.  was hoping to get to play today frown

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2013, 06:39:00 AM »

I think I'm now at about 23% overall (but I think 80% through the main missions) and I've now had it hard lock two nights in a row.  I'm not sure if it's the Wii U or the game itself, but it's a little worrying that a brand new system would be doing this.

Anyway, as for the game I'm still having fun.  It does get a bit annoying how they keep reminding you that you need to get back to the mission so frequently sometimes, but that's probably not a bad things since I would be better off completing those and unlocking all the abilities before exploring all of the extra open world stuff.

Oh, and late response to Bullwinkle: thanks!  I can't believe I missed that at first, but apparently I am just that dense.   icon_redface

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2013, 12:25:37 PM »

Yeah, the mission reminders are my number one annoyance right now (ahead of the load times, which just come off as a necessary evil).  You can't just ignore them, because the gamepad will keep beeping at you until you listen to the message, and then you'll get one of three canned responses.  It's worse than getting asked to go bowling by my cousin.  I kid, it's not that bad.  It's a nuisance, but not game ruining.

Overall, I'm still liking this game a lot.  Little side comments while tooling around have caught me off guard and made me laugh, and I think Frank Honey is fairly hilarious.  However, the voice-overs are a little forced at times.  Like they're thinking, "This is a kids' game" while delivering the line, and then talking down to the kids.  Again, not a major problem.  They're mostly fine. And I'm probably too sensitive to it.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2013, 04:01:48 PM »

wow, it's almost like you meet Ralph Wiggum in the beginning  icon_lol

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: April 02, 2013, 04:46:00 AM »

Finally downloaded my copy.  ThatÖtook a while on wireless. 

Gameplay is fun but nothing spectacular.  Iím a little disappointed with the usage of the WiiU pad.  At this point I compare everything to ZombiU which used the pad perfectly but here it feels more tacked on than useful.  On that note, the scanning mini game is annoying.

Humor is good in a corny slapstick sort of way.  Iíve found myself laughing a number of times already.  Graphics are actually a lot worse than I was expecting.  On my 60inch TV the jaggies are VERY noticeable, more so than in any other WiiU game Iíve played. 

On the whole though it seems solid enough.
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: April 02, 2013, 09:13:50 AM »

Quote from: Lordnine on April 02, 2013, 04:46:00 AM

Finally downloaded my copy.  ThatÖtook a while on wireless.  

Gameplay is fun but nothing spectacular.  Iím a little disappointed with the usage of the WiiU pad.  At this point I compare everything to ZombiU which used the pad perfectly but here it feels more tacked on than useful.  On that note, the scanning mini game is annoying.

Humor is good in a corny slapstick sort of way.  Iíve found myself laughing a number of times already.  Graphics are actually a lot worse than I was expecting.  On my 60inch TV the jaggies are VERY noticeable, more so than in any other WiiU game Iíve played.  

On the whole though it seems solid enough.

Disagree with all that, superb game, best of the lego games easily. Best use of the pad so far found but not had Zombiu so that may colour my view of it.

Love the comedy, love the setting, spend way longer just dossing round rather than doing the missions.

All round a superb game, hopefully Lego Superheroes will be even better.

Only thing missing is co op with my son, having to take it in turns is hard work for both of us

Also to add playing on my 24" monitor at 4ft and it looks great.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 02, 2013, 01:28:16 PM »

Yeah, graphics look pretty good to me, too.

Not a fan of the scanning mini-game, either, though.  I wouldn't mind it if I could use the right stick to pan instead of holding the whole thing up.  However, other than the implementation of that and the frequency of mission reminders, I think the gamepad has been used very well.

I don't know if I'd call it the best Lego game, but the ambition of it puts it in a special category, so it may not matter.

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: April 02, 2013, 05:37:55 PM »

This is what I meant by graphics problems. 

Character models look fine (aside from the weird head/shoulder clipping thing that occurs on occasion) but if you look at the edges of any of the scenery there is an obvious lack of antialiasing going on.  The size of your TV is going to make a huge difference here, you can see them in the screen shot but on a 60 inch TV they are huge.

Part of the problem with the game pad is the pace of the game.  In ZombiU having the map there was perfect because it was a slow paced game and it functioned as a motion tracker as well.  Here if you look down at the map while driving youíre probably going to drive into something.  A mini map on the screen would actually have served better in this case.   

Also, with the touch pad they have nearly unlimited access to buttons and yet the game reuses the same buttons on the controller to do multiple things.  Thatís just a missed opportunity. 
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: April 02, 2013, 05:53:49 PM »

Just to add I have no issue crashing in to things when driving, I think thats the idea really.

Also considering it's not a known franchise but their first attempt that's not a movie it really is good.

I also have to admit i had to look hard to see the issue with the jaggies, it's just not something I notice, maybe the 60" v 24" makes a big difference but it's just not where i'm looking or noticing.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 02, 2013, 08:56:43 PM »

Meh, my TV is 60" and I haven't noticed either.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: April 02, 2013, 09:13:30 PM »

I haven't really noticed it either, to be honest.  Though I do notice a lot of shimmering when doing quick camera pans, especially with grass, fences, or similar objects on screen.  Not a big deal, but it does distract me.

I agree about the minimap being on the gamepad being a bad idea, although now I mostly just try to focus on the trail of green studs rather than planning ahead on the map like I would normally do.

I think I must be very near the end of the missions.  I actually thought I would have run out of them by now based on how many chapters there are, but they just keep going.  And of course I can't resist spending hours just searching around for hidden secrets and items.  I'm not sure I will have the fortitude to play through again once I have all the powers unlocked (still missing the one that lets you pull those big boxes).

I haven't played the LOTR game yet so not sure if this is the best, but I really like it and do hope that this play style blends into the future LEGO games.  I think they have been more successful than expected when handling a fully original world (although they do still rely on mocking movies and such).

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2013, 02:07:17 PM »

I finished the story missions today (which leaves me at something like 35% finished).

The story seemed a lot shorter than I expected, given the size of the game as a whole.  Of course, the vast amount of things to do in the game means there's still an epic amount of playtime left (and may have something to do with the shortness of the story), so I'm not really complaining, I was just surprised.

It was a pretty good ending, too.  Shades of Bioshock in the mix, even.
Spoiler for Hiden:
"Your 'monument' was just an apartment complex with a shopping mall!"

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: April 12, 2013, 05:21:32 PM »

Do you ever get the ability to jump higher?  I see lots of blocks that I probably COULD get to if I wanted to work for it but Iíve held off because it seems like something that might happen soon.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 12, 2013, 05:45:15 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on April 12, 2013, 05:21:32 PM

Do you ever get the ability to jump higher?  I see lots of blocks that I probably COULD get to if I wanted to work for it but Iíve held off because it seems like something that might happen soon.

Yes, in a sense.  More specifically (mild spoiler):

Spoiler for Hiden:
Eventually you find a jetpack for the astronaut that gives you a limited hover ability, but it also gives you an initial boost of extra height.  It's not quite a double jump, but there are definitely spots where you'll need it when collecting.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: April 12, 2013, 05:53:32 PM »

I finished the story last week at just barely over 50%, and I guess I would say that the story lasted longer than I expected.  That may be because I saw how many chapters there were online while I was still in the middle and kept expecting it to be nearly over from then on.  Plus I spent a lot of time doing extra things during that first run through, when I could have probably done it much quicker ignoring all of that and only doing the secrets on a second run through.

I also spent another several hours getting somewhere close to 65% (my game locked up again the last time I played icon_evil so I'm not sure).  There is definitely a ton of additional play time for those that want it, but I don't know that I'll be going back.

davidrobots
Senior Lead Editor
Gaming Trend Reader

Holler holler get dollar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: April 12, 2013, 06:02:48 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on April 12, 2013, 05:53:32 PM

I finished the story last week at just barely over 50%, and I guess I would say that the story lasted longer than I expected.  That may be because I saw how many chapters there were online while I was still in the middle and kept expecting it to be nearly over from then on.  Plus I spent a lot of time doing extra things during that first run through, when I could have probably done it much quicker ignoring all of that and only doing the secrets on a second run through.

I also spent another several hours getting somewhere close to 65% (my game locked up again the last time I played icon_evil so I'm not sure).  There is definitely a ton of additional play time for those that want it, but I don't know that I'll be going back.

I've been dying to get back into it, but I just haven't had time. There's so much to explore, so much to unlock... Man, I wish I could squeeze a few hours into my schedule.

David Roberts
Managing Editor, Gaming Trend

Twitter: @davidrobots
Nintendo ID: davidrobots
Xbox Gamertag: FencerMusashi
PSN ID: Fencer Musashi
Steam: davidrobots
3DS: 2148-8144-9369
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 12, 2013, 06:29:24 PM »

Quote from: davidrobots on April 12, 2013, 06:02:48 PM

Quote from: EngineNo9 on April 12, 2013, 05:53:32 PM

I've been dying to get back into it, but I just haven't had time. There's so much to explore, so much to unlock... Man, I wish I could squeeze a few hours into my schedule.

I messed around quite a bit (though not 50%, clearly).  Having played the last two Harry Potter games, LOTR, and the two DC games, this definitely felt shorter story-wise.  Much more massive, city-wise, though.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: April 12, 2013, 06:33:36 PM »

Yeah, I have a tendency with open world games to spend a lot of time between missions just futzing around.  And there are so many secrets and things to find here that I did spend a lot of time doing that.  smile

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: