http://gamingtrend.com
November 29, 2014, 01:39:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Wii U] Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker remake  (Read 2610 times)
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2013, 06:36:06 PM »

Is TP that revered among Zelda fans? I thought people didn't care for it.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2013, 07:24:12 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on September 12, 2013, 06:36:06 PM

Is TP that revered among Zelda fans? I thought people didn't care for it.

I liked it better than Skyward Sword, but nowhere near as much as Wind Waker. 

I loved the art style of that one, and I didn't leave all the collecting that was a chore for most people until the end.

OTOH, I would be willing to give TP another shot if they did update it.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2013, 08:00:36 PM »

The funny thing is that I don't remember anybody saying they liked Wind Waker back when it was released.  I just remember all the criticisms over the art style and gameplay stuff.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2013, 11:43:47 PM »

I loved TP. I thought and think WW is great, but it had some glaring flaws, especially the excessive sailing and triforce hunt. TP I think is on par with Ocarina of Time (I probably prefer TP but OoT was more original and TP to a great extent mimics it). I have still never played Skyward Sword since I have heard so many negatives about the controls.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2013, 12:07:37 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on September 12, 2013, 08:00:36 PM

The funny thing is that I don't remember anybody saying they liked Wind Waker back when it was released.  I just remember all the criticisms over the art style and gameplay stuff.

Exactly and that is why I scratch my head when suddenly it is beloved by everyone.  I remember being one of the few back then who thought the art style was awesome.  Everyone else wanted realistic Link, which they got in TP.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2013, 01:13:27 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on September 13, 2013, 12:07:37 AM

Exactly and that is why I scratch my head when suddenly it is beloved by everyone.  I remember being one of the few back then who thought the art style was awesome.  Everyone else wanted realistic Link, which they got in TP.

I think the love comes out of desperation for games on an otherwise dead console.

Sean Lama
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2013, 01:45:42 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on September 13, 2013, 01:13:27 AM

I think the love comes out of desperation for games on an otherwise dead console.

Wow I think is possibly one of the silliest things I've ever read on this forum.

The love comes from nostalgia, and a little bit of hipsterness, also good things get better with age, oh and it being a solid game, and then there were the expectations that people had for the first Gamecube Zelda, when they first saw this they didn't know how to respond. As well, people are capable of looking back at stuff and realizing that things weren't as bad as they thought some ten years ago. It's amazing how opinions can change.

I've always loved WW, possibly my favorite Zelda title. It had it's moments, the map grind all but killed the game, but it has charm by the buckets full.

There is a funny gif out there about how Shigeru is confused, people told him they wanted something different with Zelda so he made WW, and fans were pissed, then they said they wanted realistic Zelda, and he brought them TWP, and fans were pissed, so he mashed it together and made Skyward Sword, and the fans were pissed. The point is that a lot of Zelda fans are dumb.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2013, 08:04:53 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 12, 2013, 01:39:04 AM

Gamecube vs Wii U update head to head video.

Apart from the ratio,i like the original better,the colours are more fitting to what we signed up for in the first place,a Cel Shaded Zelda

I mean when you see him on the sea the clouds look great,but....the original look of the clouds i think fit better

In the end i still want to play this,but feel i am not missing out too much by still having my original WW

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2013, 11:22:59 AM »

everyone loved the Tri-Force quest!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2013, 04:40:11 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on September 13, 2013, 01:45:42 AM

Quote from: Ridah on September 13, 2013, 01:13:27 AM

Wow I think is possibly one of the silliest things I've ever read on this forum.

The love comes from nostalgia, and a little bit of hipsterness, also good things get better with age, oh and it being a solid game, and then there were the expectations that people had for the first Gamecube Zelda, when they first saw this they didn't know how to respond. As well, people are capable of looking back at stuff and realizing that things weren't as bad as they thought some ten years ago. It's amazing how opinions can change.

I've always loved WW, possibly my favorite Zelda title. It had it's moments, the map grind all but killed the game, but it has charm by the buckets full.

There is a funny gif out there about how Shigeru is confused, people told him they wanted something different with Zelda so he made WW, and fans were pissed, then they said they wanted realistic Zelda, and he brought them TWP, and fans were pissed, so he mashed it together and made Skyward Sword, and the fans were pissed. The point is that a lot of Zelda fans are dumb.

I wasn't knocking Wind Waker, it's my favorite Zelda title as well. But I think it's getting more attention than it would if the Wii U had even a marginally respectable software library.

Sean Lama
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2013, 06:32:18 PM »

I'm playing this now and it's fantastic.  The graphics are beautiful and smooth and I love the Wii U screen for the inventory and map.  Doesn't hurt that it was one of my favorite Gamecube games and one of my favorite Zeldas.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2013, 08:00:44 PM »

Any chance someone who DIDNíT play the original could post some impressions?  Despite my best efforts I have never been able to get into a 3D Zelda game (have tried Ocarina on 3Ds and Twilight Princess on Wii).  I love the 2D top down versions but something about the third dimension doesnít gel with me.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2013, 08:06:11 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on September 21, 2013, 08:00:44 PM

Any chance someone who DIDNíT play the original could post some impressions?  Despite my best efforts I have never been able to get into a 3D Zelda game (have tried Ocarina on 3Ds and Twilight Princess on Wii).  I love the 2D top down versions but something about the third dimension doesnít gel with me.

For what it's worth, I also have a harder time getting into the 3D Zeldas compared to the 2D ones.  I think I've gotten to the end of every 2D Zelda I've played, and I've played almost every 2D Zelda, but I don't think I've made it all the way to the end of any 3D Zelda...

...except for Wind Waker.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2013, 09:47:34 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on September 21, 2013, 08:06:11 PM

Any chance someone who DIDNíT play the original could post some impressions?  Despite my best efforts I have never been able to get into a 3D Zelda game (have tried Ocarina on 3Ds and Twilight Princess on Wii).  I love the 2D top down versions but something about the third dimension doesnít gel with me.

For what it's worth, I also have a harder time getting into the 3D Zeldas compared to the 2D ones.  I think I've gotten to the end of every 2D Zelda I've played, and I've played almost every 2D Zelda, but I don't think I've made it all the way to the end of any 3D Zelda...

For me it was this and the Gamecube version of Ocarina of Time.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2013, 10:37:14 PM »

Any chance someone who DIDNíT play the original could post some impressions?  Despite my best efforts I have never been able to get into a 3D Zelda game (have tried Ocarina on 3Ds and Twilight Princess on Wii).  I love the 2D top down versions but something about the third dimension doesnít gel with me.

For what it's worth, I also have a harder time getting into the 3D Zeldas compared to the 2D ones.  I think I've gotten to the end of every 2D Zelda I've played, and I've played almost every 2D Zelda, but I don't think I've made it all the way to the end of any 3D Zelda...

And that's...the rest of the story.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2013, 12:11:15 AM »

Quote from: Suitably Ironic Moniker on September 21, 2013, 10:37:14 PM

For what it's worth, I also have a harder time getting into the 3D Zeldas compared to the 2D ones.  I think I've gotten to the end of every 2D Zelda I've played, and I've played almost every 2D Zelda, but I don't think I've made it all the way to the end of any 3D Zelda...

And that's...the rest of the story.

Good night...and good luck.
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2013, 03:28:03 AM »

Switching between this and GTA V......

I played till I met the ship and stopped there.  The graphics are amazing and it's probably the most colorful game I've played.  The game pad works great and not having to open a menu for your inventory is awesome and a feature I wish the Xbox One and Ps4 have somehow. 

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2013, 03:30:42 AM »

Where is this game out that you guys are playing it now? 

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2013, 03:48:54 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on September 22, 2013, 03:30:42 AM

the Nintendo eShop.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2013, 07:54:02 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on September 13, 2013, 08:04:53 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on September 12, 2013, 01:39:04 AM

Gamecube vs Wii U update head to head video.

Apart from the ratio,i like the original better,the colours are more fitting to what we signed up for in the first place,a Cel Shaded Zelda

I mean when you see him on the sea the clouds look great,but....the original look of the clouds i think fit better

In the end i still want to play this,but feel i am not missing out too much by still having my original WW

I sort of feel the same way and if I did own a WiiU I'm not sure I'd splurge for the remake. That said, I initially felt the same way about the Ocarina of Time remake for the Gamecube, which really only marginally increased the resolution and added Dolby Prologic Surround. But in the end I was glad to have it and appreciated the minor changes.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: September 22, 2013, 07:58:30 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 22, 2013, 03:48:54 AM

the Nintendo eShop.

Aah, I had forgotten that they did the early release for the download version.  I'll still wait on the disc one since I have other things to play now.  smile

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: September 22, 2013, 08:19:07 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on September 22, 2013, 07:58:30 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on September 22, 2013, 03:48:54 AM

the Nintendo eShop.

Aah, I had forgotten that they did the early release for the download version.  I'll still wait on the disc one since I have other things to play now.  smile
Donít forget about the digital shop money back program.  I may end up taking a chance on this just because I have $10 in credit from that.  I have purchased most of my games for the WiiU on the eShop just so I donít have to worry about switching disks.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2013, 02:08:39 PM »

I played about 20 minutes.  Not nearly as much as I would like but I loved what I played. 

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2013, 06:45:21 PM »

The wife and I played this alternating all weekend up to the deku tree. Each on our own save file. And the game is awesome. Even better than I remembered. The swift sail is boss. The updated textures and colors and overal graphics package is better. All of the music was rescored and is higher quality. The fact that they can load the entire ocean at once is awesome, you can see much farther out on the horizon. I cannot stop humming the sailing theme.

The miiverse/tingle bottle integration is awesome. Better pictobox with selifes is hilarious. I think this Zelda controls so well it makes you wonder why they bothered forcing waggle.

Definitley worth the eshop purchase for the 10 percent back. I have now gone digital on this, W101, super luigi dlc, and a bunch of other small games, several of which I got free because of the digital deluxe points.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2013, 09:15:35 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on September 22, 2013, 08:19:07 PM

Donít forget about the digital shop money back program.  I may end up taking a chance on this just because I have $10 in credit from that.  I have purchased most of my games for the WiiU on the eShop just so I donít have to worry about switching disks.

I had forgotten about that, but really I'm not compelled to buy digital games on this console since it only has 32GB of storage on board.  I feel like I'd be constantly trying to clear space like back in the original 360 days and I'd rather not go back to that.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2013, 10:33:24 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on September 23, 2013, 09:15:35 PM

I had forgotten about that, but really I'm not compelled to buy digital games on this console since it only has 32GB of storage on board.  I feel like I'd be constantly trying to clear space like back in the original 360 days and I'd rather not go back to that.

You can hook up an external USB drive if you'd like as well.  But also, with your current attitude, you'd never fill up any space because you're worried that eventually you'd fill up all the space. Tongue

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: September 24, 2013, 12:09:54 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on September 23, 2013, 09:15:35 PM

My WiiU has a two terabyte hard drive.  I donít know what the problem is with yoursÖ  icon_biggrin
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: