http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 12:43:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Wii U] Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker remake  (Read 2371 times)
farley2k
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 23, 2013, 04:14:46 PM »

I saw this morning that they are redoing "Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker" Should have HD graphics and be out in the fall!

"Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker"

th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 04:38:56 PM »

http://gamingtrend.com/2013/01/23/new-zelda-game-in-development-wind-waker-hd-to-be-released-on-wii-u/

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 04:39:35 PM »

We've got a ton more coverage from that event as well.  You can even watch it live.  smile   GT FTW.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 04:46:50 PM »

so that's two game i want for the Wii U now(Lego city thing and this)

I did actually buy the PS3 for £425 just for MGS4 retard ...so buying a Wii U for two games is not far fetched,maybe in the fall when its due there will be more Wii U games i want(Multiplat games are always 360 thank you very much)

Still have my Limited Edition Gold version of Wind Waker for GameCube with the two versions of Ocarina of Time,it's a great game

not my copy

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 05:50:14 PM »

THE best Zelda of all time imo
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 05:58:04 PM »

They should get rid of the Triforce fetch while they are at it.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 06:10:50 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on January 23, 2013, 05:58:04 PM

Enlighten me,i can't remember that,do you mean the Tingle/Gameboy crap?

Oh wait,do you mean the chart stuff,and you sail to that square and you feed the fish etc and use the hook to get treasure?
I absolutely loved all that!!!

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 06:21:00 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on January 23, 2013, 06:10:50 PM

Oh wait,do you mean the chart stuff,and you sail to that square and you feed the fish etc and use the hook to get treasure?

At the very end of the game you have to run all over the map picking up the remaining pieces of the triforce. I believe they have admitted they did this to extend the length of the game.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 06:23:59 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on January 23, 2013, 04:38:56 PM

Obligatory "Wait, there's a front page?" joke.

Quote from: Teggy on January 23, 2013, 06:21:00 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on January 23, 2013, 06:10:50 PM

At the very end of the game you have to run all over the map picking up the remaining pieces of the triforce. I believe they have admitted they did this to extend the length of the game.

This was only a problem if you weren't doing it all along.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 07:08:03 PM »

*Very* interested in this.  It isn't as exciting as a new Zelda game, of course, but if they can find a way to improve the inventory management that plagued the GameCube version, I'll be all over this.

I wonder what it is about this specific vision of Zelda that Nintendo is willing to revisit again and again.  Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass, and Spirit Tracks form a direct chronology that feels more and more distinct from the rest of the franchise.

-Autistic Angel
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 07:13:46 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on January 23, 2013, 07:08:03 PM

*Very* interested in this.  It isn't as exciting as a new Zelda game, of course, but if they can find a way to improve the inventory management that plagued the GameCube version, I'll be all over this.

Wasn't there problems with the camera as well??,I seem to remember this when i tried to replay it a year or two ago

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 08:32:40 PM »

I wonder what it is about this specific vision of Zelda that Nintendo is willing to revisit again and again.  Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass, and Spirit Tracks form a direct chronology that feels more and more distinct from the rest of the franchise.

-Autistic Angel

I think it's in part because most people consider Wind Waker to be the best Zelda since OoT and also because the art style is very distinct. Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword aren't nearly as distinguishable.

I have mixed feelings on this remake. If it's just a graphical update I have no interest, but if they use it to test some of the gameplay changes they are planning for the new Zelda, I would be willing to try it.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 10:37:24 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on January 23, 2013, 07:13:46 PM

Wasn't there problems with the camera as well??,I seem to remember this when i tried to replay it a year or two ago

Not that I remember, but it sounds like you've played it more recently than I have.  Some people think of Wind Waker and remember the vibrant world or the tedious Tingle appeasement, but my dominant memory is of having to rejigger my readied items every time I entered a new room.

Then, when Twilight Princess came out, the Wii's control scheme allowed you to have four face button items instead of just three.  It sounds like a minor change, but combined with some improved design decisions, I enjoyed the flow of that game much better.

Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks only let you have one item available at a time, but switching between them with the stylus is so fast that I don't mind at all.  Maybe they can create something similar using the touch capabilities of the Wii U gamepad, though I'm not sure if refocusing from the TV to the touchscreen and back again would feel like much of an improvement.

Quote from: Ridah on January 23, 2013, 08:32:40 PM

I think it's in part because most people consider Wind Waker to be the best Zelda since OoT and also because the art style is very distinct. Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword aren't nearly as distinguishable.

That seems to be a common sentiment, but for me, the way Twilight Princess contrasted the dreamy, homespun fairy tale designs of Link's world with the asymmetric quasi-tech growths of the twilight realm was every bit as evocative as the cheerfully sinister cel-shaded design.

I haven't played Skyward Sword yet.

Quote from: Ridah on January 23, 2013, 08:32:40 PM

I have mixed feelings on this remake. If it's just a graphical update I have no interest, but if they use it to test some of the gameplay changes they are planning for the new Zelda, I would be willing to try it.

My first reaction was, "Fat chance!" because I don't usually think of Nintendo as investing much effort in enhanced remakes, but after thinking about it, there's some good precedent to back you up.  Pokemon HeartGold & SoulSilver, Ocarina of Time 3D, and Metroid Prime Trilogy all came with a bunch of game play adjustments to better suit the systems they were on.

Maybe this really will be the definitive version of Wind Waker.  That would be a hell of thing to look forward to!

-Autistic Angel
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 10:42:55 PM »

Also, in the Nintendo Direct video he talked about wanting to change the fundamentals of the gameplay for the new Zelda (I'm paraphrasing) and it sounded like there was the possibility of some of that showing up in WW HD. I should watch the video again when I get home, maybe my wishful thinking is getting the best of me  icon_biggrin

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 06:41:32 AM »

In the Wind Waker HD presentation, they said they would "tune up the overall game experience", so there should be some gameplay changes.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2013, 02:51:42 PM »

Kotaku has one of those pictures that you can slide the cursor across and compared a screenshot from the Old Wind Waker to the New Wind Waker

I dunno,it looks good,hopefully it doesn't lose that personality that the original game oozes

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2013, 06:38:11 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on January 24, 2013, 02:51:42 PM

Kotaku has one of those pictures that you can slide the cursor across and compared a screenshot from the Old Wind Waker to the New Wind Waker

I dunno,it looks good,hopefully it doesn't lose that personality that the original game oozes

it'd have been more appropriate if they had used an actual shot from the game running on the Gamecube instead of 'high res via a PC'.  as it stands I'd say I prefer the PC version over the bloomed out Wii U one.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2013, 03:50:17 PM »

Amazon has it up for pre-order:

Play the definitive version of this timeless classic on the Wii U console, now with stunning HD graphics and new game features.
    Guide Link as he sets out on the massive Great Sea to find his kidnapped sister.
    Sail the seas in search of lost islands, fight fearsome enemies, and take on mighty bosses.
    Discover Miiverse messages that wash up in various locations—it’s like finding a message in a bottle.*
    Take on a more challenging difficulty level.
    Manage your inventory and view maps on the Wii U GamePad controller.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2013, 11:02:21 PM »

rumor is going around that there will also be a Wii U 32 gig bundle with FIFA 2014 this included for free.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2013, 11:05:05 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 20, 2013, 11:02:21 PM

rumor is going around that there will also be a Wii U 32 gig bundle with FIFA 2014 this included for free.

icon_lol

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2013, 11:05:12 PM »

biggrin

there is a rumor, but couldn't resist the addition.

Because I can,
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2013, 03:02:06 AM »

They still list the release date as Dec 31st.  I wish they would update that.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2013, 01:01:08 AM »

a couple of previews:

US Gamer

IGN

I imagine there are spoilers in them for those who haven't played the original.  I haven't, the HD version will be my first time (I do have a Gamecube copy but decided to hold off once I heard about this new version), so I only skimmed over the two articles.

Because I can,
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2013, 01:30:36 AM »

I watched some footage on gamespot and it looks very nice. I like that they have added a fast mode for sailing. I also think managing items on the pad is nice, plus they added touch screen aiming for the now and the ability to move in this mode - Zelda FPS!

Having said that, I still think the Wii U is around $100 too expensive for me, so last night I hooked up my GAMECUBE~! and fired up vanilla Wind Waker. I have all 3 "current gen" systems and none of them have my love like the cube did. It warmed the cockles of my heart to fire it up again. Wind Waker holds up VERY well graphically after all this time. Yes, 480p is a bit glaring on a 60" plasma, but the artistic style is still beautiful. The most jarring thing is how awkward the Wavebird is now. That was my favorite controller ever, but the 360 controller has converted me. Anyway, I am in the forest dungeon now, and the game is still a blast... at least until the tri-force hunt starts...

If you have a Wii U this will be a no brainer.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2013, 03:13:37 AM »

I will agree in that the GCN was one of, if not my favorite system. It was a well built machine with a great controller, and some great games.

I will say, that I love the Wiiu too, but not nearly as much or the same.

JCC you may want to keep an eye out for the WiiU Windwaker bundles. With the kind of improvements that are going in the game, from the speed sail, cut down triforce hunt, the in game camera improvements, Hero (hard) Mode open off the bat, the addition of moving in first person view, miiverse additions and the 1080p the game seems like a big improvement. Wish it wasn't $60 but I think I will go back in since I don't own any of my old stuff anymore.

I would recommend folks finding the neogaf thread for this, as one of the users has posted a bunch of mock ups of Link doing "selfies" across hyrule with a bunch of funny hashtags, because, let's be honest, with the new picture taking options, everyone is going to be doing selfies with bosses in the backgrounds.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2013, 04:38:29 AM »

I wouldn't say no to an HD remake of twilight princess either... That might sweeten the Wii U a bit... Still way too much for me right now, even with WW bundled in.

-John

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2013, 05:05:48 AM »

Some more details:

Triforce quest – the five Triforce pieces can now be grabbed directly
Only the remaining three require translated charts instead of eight
Hero Mode available from the start
Picto Box has been upgraded
Upgraded camera could still be used to snap photos of unsuspecting villagers or enemies
Pictures can go up on Miiverse
Link can also take funny self-photographs
Switch between happy, sad, and surprised emotions
Get the Swift Sail at the auction house after completion of the first dungeon
No alert via an in-game prompt to signal the special sails availability
No longer possible to accidentally skip Tingle’s island, as the developers have inserted an introduction to the quirky character into the main quest
Enhanced first-person camera
Can now have full movement in that perspective
Can travel through hallways and shoot arrows like you’re in a FPS

Upon starting Wind Waker HD, players can select either Normal or Hero Mode. Normal Mode plays almost exactly like the original game. If this isn't your first time sailing around the Great Sea, you can kick it up to Hero Mode, where enemies deal twice the damage. To make matters worse, the only way to heal is to either purchase potions or to quaff a fairy.

Previously, sailing about the Great Sea was mostly controlled by the winds, which you could change with a song. Wind Waker HD will have a Swift Sail feature that allows you to remove that extra step and simply sail wherever you will, with the wind always at your back. That's a feature that even weak mortals playing on normal mode can take advantage of (if they so desire).
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2013, 04:20:08 PM »

eShop version 9-20, Retail 10-4.  the version that comes with the Wii U bundle will be digital.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2013, 10:53:45 PM »

damn, this kinda makes me want buy a second Wii U:

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2013, 01:37:37 AM »

It looks pretty but it doesn't make me want to buy it.

$100 more and I get a PS4 which blows it away as far as specs go.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2013, 06:10:38 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on August 23, 2013, 05:05:48 AM

Previously, sailing about the Great Sea was mostly controlled by the winds, which you could change with a song. Wind Waker HD will have a Swift Sail feature that allows you to remove that extra step and simply sail wherever you will, with the wind always at your back. That's a feature that even weak mortals playing on normal mode can take advantage of (if they so desire).

I'm usually a traditionalist who resists taking shortcuts through games, at least on the first play through.  I refused to use any of the powerful gear you could get by preordering Dead Space 3, for example.  I wanted to play the game as it had been designed.

That said, I will be picking up the Swift Sail a soon as possible and recommending everyone else do the same.  Pulling open a menu, equipping an item, and pushing out a little rhythm ditty every time you want to head in a new direction adds absolutely nothing to the game play, and removing that pointless sequence ranks higher than stabling the Triforce hunt on my personal list of biggest improvements.

Love this change!

-Autistic Angel
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2013, 07:10:18 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on August 29, 2013, 01:37:37 AM

I don't think Nintendo tried to compete in terms of specs with the other consoles.  They go their own way and see what happens.  So are (DS, Wii) it has been a pretty sound strategy. 

Having said that I still own a PS3 as well as a Wii U so I can have the horsepower when I want. 

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2013, 07:19:47 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on August 29, 2013, 07:10:18 PM

I don't think Nintendo tried to compete in terms of specs with the other consoles.  They go their own way and see what happens.  So are (DS, Wii) it has been a pretty sound strategy. 

Having said that I still own a PS3 as well as a Wii U so I can have the horsepower when I want. 

You do know the WiiU is more powerful than the PS3, right?  Or do you mean that you WILL buy a PS4?

Personally, I have a very powerful PC and I enjoy Nintendo games.  Most games for PS4/XBone will arrive on PC as well whereas Nintendo games never will, so the WiiU was a logical choice for me.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2013, 02:56:50 AM »

Quote from: Lordnine on August 29, 2013, 07:19:47 PM

Quote from: farley2k on August 29, 2013, 07:10:18 PM

I don't think Nintendo tried to compete in terms of specs with the other consoles.  They go their own way and see what happens.  So are (DS, Wii) it has been a pretty sound strategy.  

You do know the WiiU is more powerful than the PS3, right?  Or do you mean that you WILL buy a PS4?

Personally, I have a very powerful PC and I enjoy Nintendo games.  Most games for PS4/XBone will arrive on PC as well whereas Nintendo games never will, so the WiiU was a logical choice for me.

Add all of that, and I think it was kind of off for Destructor to make that kind of comment in a Wind Waker thread...

I am actually contemplating the 9/20 download for $50. I would prefer to wait for them to finish fixing the account system, but I don't care, it is a small download and I want to play this again sooner than later. I also want the 10% bonus for Eshop orders.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2013, 11:27:49 AM »

I'll probably go digital as well, just to try it out.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2013, 01:39:04 AM »

Gamecube vs Wii U update head to head video.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2013, 01:42:42 AM »

oh yeah, make sure Youtube is showing the 1080p version.  the HD one looked kind of crappy before I realized it was defaulting to 360p.

Because I can,
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2013, 03:13:49 AM »

The HD version is almost universally better... but, the bloom is overdone for me. Of course, I generally don't care for bloom effects anyway. I feel there are some scenes where the colors are a bit washed out looking on the HD one. Still for the most part, the HD version is pretty impressive. When the Wii U is cheap in a few years, I'll probably check this out again. (As I mentioned earlier, been playing the cube version the last few weeks, and it still looks great on a 60" plasma.)

(Forgive me if I posted this earlier). I really think Twilight Princess would benefit more from the HD remake than WW. The cel shaded style holds up pretty well, but TP had some seriously blurry textures that would probably look amazing cleaned up in HD. I also like TP a lot more... not that WW isn't great.

-John

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2013, 03:31:23 AM »

Yeah, I really don't like the excessive bloom and blown out colors of the new HD version. 

The shading is also completely different at times, so the new one doesn't look nearly as much like a true cel-shaded cartoon.  The specific scene I can think of is early on when Link is asleep in the wooden tower.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2013, 10:51:50 AM »

Quote from: JCC on September 12, 2013, 03:13:49 AM

(Forgive me if I posted this earlier). I really think Twilight Princess would benefit more from the HD remake than WW. The cel shaded style holds up pretty well, but TP had some seriously blurry textures that would probably look amazing cleaned up in HD. I also like TP a lot more... not that WW isn't great.

I agree with your point about the graphics.  In terms of the potential for game play enhancement though, I think a Wind Waker remake stands to gain a lot more than Twilight Princess would.  My opinion of TP is somewhat higher than most people's -- it's my all-time favorite Zelda game -- but I think pretty much everyone would agree that WW had some stand-out interface and pacing problems.

The fact that Nintendo has made so many adjustments to fix those game play issues is the primary reason I'm so pumped for the WWHD release.  Yeah, it *looks* nice...but I really just don't want to go digging through the inventory menu every three minutes.

-Autistic Angel
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: