http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 06:26:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Wii]final internet channel now up  (Read 1125 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 12, 2007, 05:37:23 AM »

http://kotaku.com/gaming/wii/final-internet-channel-for-wii-now-live-251646.php

first you have to do an update for your Wii,then you will be able to go get the internet channel from the online shop.......its free until June,after that if you havent got it,it will cost you 500 points

New changes to the browser include, but are not limited to:

Parental Controls

Improved zooming and scrolling

An improved zoomed font

Shortened startup times

Quicker access to "favorites"

An ability to hide the toolbar

Buttons that will instantly type common preset letters, such as "www" or ".com"

Built-in Yahoo! or Google Search

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 05:54:14 AM »

Bizarre - as I was sitting here on my couch browsing the forums, I noticed the drive slot on my (turned off) Wii light up all blue... I was wondering what little goodie I would find when I turned it on smile

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 06:12:19 AM »

An improvement!

But I doubt I'll buy it in June...

TheMissingLink on PSN
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 06:30:40 AM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on April 12, 2007, 06:12:19 AM

An improvement!

But I doubt I'll buy it in June...

no,ithink once you download it now you wont need to buy it in june......its like free for the first 2 months and then if you didnt download it by june you will then have to pay......if you have it now then thats it,you've got it for good..........i think,i hope

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 08:35:33 AM »

Hmmmm, really?  I was under the impression they were charging for use in June.  That's good news, then.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 11:22:18 AM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on April 12, 2007, 08:35:33 AM

Hmmmm, really?  I was under the impression they were charging for use in June.  That's good news, then.

Yeah, you only pay for it if you wait until after June to Download it. They are kinda rewarding early adopters I guess. So download it now and never have to worry about it.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 12:35:25 PM »

Will consoles shipped after June have this built in already?  Given how constrained the supply is it would suck to have to pay for this if you aren't able to find a console until well beyond June.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 01:32:17 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on April 12, 2007, 12:35:25 PM

Will consoles shipped after June have this built in already?  Given how constrained the supply is it would suck to have to pay for this if you aren't able to find a console until well beyond June.

I don't think it's built in. I think that once June arrives if you choose to download the browser from the VC it will cost you points. Before June, it won't. I stupidly updated my Wii system this morning thinking that would update the browser. Needless to say I was disappointed with the enhancements!  retard

I'll have to download the updated browser today and give it a look. I really don't see myself using it much (since I haven't), but it will be cool if I don't have to pay for it.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 01:34:45 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on April 12, 2007, 11:22:18 AM

They are kinda rewarding early adopters I guess.

Rewarding early adopters?   More like those fortunate enough to be able to find one get a bonus.  icon_smile  But at any rate it's certainly nice that it's free (and I snagged one online a couple months ago).
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 01:47:32 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on April 12, 2007, 12:35:25 PM

Nope. If you download it before the 'purchase date', the browser is absolutely free. Beyond that, it'll run you $5 or something cheap.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2007, 02:25:15 PM »

I futzed around with it last night.  I have to say, it's improved 90% over the beta.  Easier to read, easier to scroll, favorites don't take minutes to load, easy access to the www and search options, disappearing tool bar, pages that were not loading now do.  Honestly, the only thing wrong with it is that it won't play certain movies.  But color me much more impressed.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2007, 04:41:42 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on April 12, 2007, 02:25:15 PM

I futzed around with it last night.  I have to say, it's improved 90% over the beta.  Easier to read, easier to scroll, favorites don't take minutes to load, easy access to the www and search options, disappearing tool bar, pages that were not loading now do.  Honestly, the only thing wrong with it is that it won't play certain movies.  But color me much more impressed.

Hey that's great to hear Bullwinkle; downloading it tonight.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2007, 05:11:25 PM »

Tried it out for a few minutes and it is much improved. You can scroll around with the gamepad (which I thought was an idiotic omission from the trial version) and the zooming seems to work better. It seems quicker too. Thumbs up, particularly given its freeness.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2007, 05:53:46 PM »

Not that I turn my Wii on much anymore, but I did for Paper Mario, and I found I really enjoy the channels when taking a little break. Check the weather, the news, take some polls, and check some web pages. As others have said, Opera is much improved. Much easier to use.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2007, 06:08:28 PM »

Quote from: Lee on April 12, 2007, 05:53:46 PM

Not that I turn my Wii on much anymore, but I did for Paper Mario, and I found I really enjoy the channels when taking a little break. Check the weather, the news, take some polls, and check some web pages. As others have said, Opera is much improved. Much easier to use.

I do polls way more often than I thought I would.  Once every couple of days or so.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
deadzone

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2007, 06:40:41 PM »

Heheh Polls.... Those stupid polls are more addictive than I would have thought!  smile  I do the same thing myself.  smile

On topic:  Gonna DL it and check it out tonight.  I don't see myself surfing much on the Wii - but free is free! 
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2007, 07:00:17 PM »

Snagged it first thing this morning but didn't have time to play with it. Happily I have it and won't be charged in June.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2007, 07:10:26 PM »

The update hung my Wii on the "do NOT power off" screen.

I'm so conflicted. I feel like Calvin at a LAN party... frown

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2007, 08:17:29 PM »

I'll update it tonight, but the big thing I liked about having the Wii-browser was having that up on something like Gamefaqs and on another input playing a game on the 360, or I'll splitscreen the TV and check stuff out at the same time. Usually the lap top is better for that stuff, but checking it on the Wii works fairly well.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: