http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 06:07:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Wii] VC becomes completely useless thanks to hackers  (Read 1240 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« on: April 20, 2008, 08:49:27 PM »

Why you ask? This is why.

Or, grabbed from somewhere else (that I can't link to), that shows exactly what's been released in the last 24 hours:

This is a program that enables you to load emulators on your Nintendo Gamecube/Wii, using a nice graphical interface:

Current supported emulators are:

- Genesis Plus (Sega Megadrive)
- SMS Plus (Sega Master System & Game Gear)
- FCEuGC (Nintendo Entertainment System)
- GnuboyGX (Gameboy & Gameboy Color)
- Snes9xGX (Super Nintendo)
- HugoGC (NEC Pc-Engine)
- NeoPop (SNK NeoGeo Pocket)
- Neo-CD Redux (SNK NeoGeo CD)

Yes, you read that right - with the Twilight Hack and a DVD loaded with what you want to play (no hardware modding required), you can now emulate just about every single game ever released on every console that's older than the PS1.

I'm guessing that Nintendo will be patching the hole that allowed this in the first place VERY quickly.

Thoughts?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 08:57:16 PM »

Eh, not worth bothering for me.  I can already output my PC onto my TV so I already have far superior emulation options there. 
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 04:46:47 AM »

it's cool, but i do all of my retro play on the psp.  portable sega cd ftw.

hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 07:53:19 AM »

GP2X! the handheld made for emulation...
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 01:10:43 PM »

Quote from: hitbyambulance on April 21, 2008, 07:53:19 AM

GP2X! the handheld made for emulation...

Personally, I'm waiting for Pandora to do my portable emulation.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 01:19:26 PM »

I'm missing how this makes the VC completely useless.  People have been able to emulate all those systems since long before the Wii came out.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 02:34:48 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on April 21, 2008, 01:19:26 PM

I'm missing how this makes the VC completely useless.  People have been able to emulate all those systems since long before the Wii came out.

Because now they can do it on the Wii.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 02:41:02 PM »

The title should really be something like "[Wii] VC becomes unnecessary for people with the skill or motivation to hack their console."  It's certainly not useless.  Plenty of people are either unwilling or unable to hack their Wii, and for them, VC is still going to be attractive.  It will likely cause Nintendo to lose some transactional income, but certainly not all of it.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 02:56:57 PM »

The reasoning is, just like the PSP (at least in the beginning), you can now software hack your console to do things that the parent company wants you to buy (VC on the Wii, PS1 emulation on the PSP (among other things)).

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 03:09:28 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on April 21, 2008, 02:41:02 PM

The title should really be something like "[Wii] VC becomes unnecessary for people with the skill or motivation to hack their console."  It's certainly not useless.  Plenty of people are either unwilling or unable to hack their Wii, and for them, VC is still going to be attractive.  It will likely cause Nintendo to lose some transactional income, but certainly not all of it.

Apparently, you're not aware that 90% of Americans play on modded consoles: http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8923&Itemid=2

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 03:11:37 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on April 21, 2008, 03:09:28 PM

Apparently, you're not aware that 90% of Americans play on modded consoles: http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8923&Itemid=2

I do not believe that.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2008, 03:13:57 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on April 21, 2008, 02:56:57 PM

The reasoning is, just like the PSP (at least in the beginning), you can now software hack your console to do things that the parent company wants you to buy (VC on the Wii, PS1 emulation on the PSP (among other things)).

So on the PC front, you'd say "In-store and online game purchases become completely useless thanks to bittorrent?"

I don't see this new emulator making more than the tiniest of blips on the VC sales.  I think the vast majority of regular VC purchasers will never even hear about this emulator, let alone install it.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2008, 03:19:02 PM »

Nintendo is losing money?!?!?

icon_eek

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2008, 05:56:10 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on April 21, 2008, 03:13:57 PM

So on the PC front, you'd say "In-store and online game purchases become completely useless thanks to bittorrent?"

I don't see this new emulator making more than the tiniest of blips on the VC sales.  I think the vast majority of regular VC purchasers will never even hear about this emulator, let alone install it.

but think of the poor souls at nintendo who will make less money because of this! 

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2008, 06:01:35 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on April 21, 2008, 03:13:57 PM

Agreed.  The thread title is akin to 'Locking your doors becomes completely useless thanks to crowbars.'

gellar
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2008, 06:54:06 PM »

"Prostitution Renders Dating Obsolete"

-Autistic Angel
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2008, 12:40:53 AM »

Maybe you guys just aren't comprehending this.
Let me spell it out:
They are, potentially, taking money away from NINTENDO!!! Not M$! Not $ony! NINTENDO!!!!
It becomes a crime at that point!!

Poor Harry and Ethel Nintendo , selling video games out of a shack on the side of the road in order to feed their kids!!! They're taking food from children!!!

It's the end of the world!!!

(I'm kidding)

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: