http://gamingtrend.com
July 26, 2014, 03:25:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Wii] Tiger Woods PGA Tour 09 All-Play  (Read 1404 times)
Tals
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 13, 2008, 12:31:29 PM »

Reviews seem mixed although some are making this out to be the best golf game for the wii or any other console.

Anyone got it or tried it. I'm tempted if sorts its control scheme out. The 07 version I found was too much like a switch eg slow swing 10% hit medium 50% and you had no feel that you were swinging the club.

Tals

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 02:19:27 PM »

From what I've heard, the swing is about the same as last year.  Reports seem to be holding out hope that next year's version will have True Motion Plus support.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 04:29:41 PM »

I skipped last year but the swing is a LOT better than 2 years ago.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 09:27:36 PM »

Quote from: Devil on September 13, 2008, 04:29:41 PM

I skipped last year but the swing is a LOT better than 2 years ago.

Are the graphics any better? I have 2007 and the swing was disappointing and I thought the graphics looked worse than the 2003 gamecube version (or maybe I was looking back on that one with rose colored glasses so to speak...)

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 02:46:51 AM »

Nope - Graphics are still pretty much crap.  icon_frown

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 05:55:25 AM »

Quote from: Devil on September 14, 2008, 02:46:51 AM

When I got the 2007 version the graphics didn't bother me. The swing did which was awful.

Is the game as good as some reviewers are implying. One saying it was the best golf game ever another saying the bets wii game over MarioKart and the like

Tals

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 04:21:45 PM »

Bah, this is something that continues to infuriate me about 3rd party Wii ports. They just seem to think that since they can't make a Wii game look as good as a PS3/360 version that they don't even try to make it look good at all. I mean when I look at games like Metroid Prime Corrpution or Mario Galaxy: they're both beautiful games in their own right with very different styles. Don't you think Tiger Woods could/should look better on the Wii than it does?

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 07:41:05 AM »

Recommended or not...?it's still tempting me smile

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 02:13:30 PM »

Should I assume from the deafening quiet that this title is not worth getting  icon_cry

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2008, 02:57:06 PM »

Honestly - It's not as good as Rock Band or NHL '09.

Those are the reasons I haven't been playing it, but it's good for what it is. Nothing more, nothing less!

You are on your own!  icon_wink

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2008, 08:23:24 PM »

Quote from: Devil on September 26, 2008, 02:57:06 PM

Honestly - It's not as good as Rock Band or NHL '09.

Those are the reasons I haven't been playing it, but it's good for what it is. Nothing more, nothing less!

You are on your own!  icon_wink

OK saw a deal on ebay and got it on that. I've been playing my son Wii Sports Golf so will interesting how it measures up as that appears todo a very good impression of 1:1 - just lacking courses.

I'll post in a few days how I get on

Tals

Moat_Man
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2008, 05:14:29 AM »

Quote from: Tals on September 28, 2008, 08:23:24 PM

I just got a Wii for my daughter's birthday and Wii Sports Golf is a lot of fun. I am interested in getting a full golf game with different courses, etc. If Tiger Woods '09 is like Wii Sports Golf but with lots of courses then I am in! Waiting for your feedback Tals...

End of line.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2008, 06:16:21 AM »

Quote from: Moat_Man on September 29, 2008, 05:14:29 AM

I just got a Wii for my daughter's birthday and Wii Sports Golf is a lot of fun. I am interested in getting a full golf game with different courses, etc. If Tiger Woods '09 is like Wii Sports Golf but with lots of courses then I am in! Waiting for your feedback Tals...

Certainly that is what I am looking for - I had previously had Tiger Woods 2007 and didn't like it so will post fully once i've got it in my mitts smile

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2008, 05:54:17 AM »

Quote from: Moat_Man on September 29, 2008, 05:14:29 AM

Game came in yesterday. When I got in I had a couple of games with my son and then I had 2 games online. I then briefly went into the career area.

Firstly the games swing takes a LOT of getting used to. Whereas in Wii Golf it just feels right as a swing in Tiger Woods its the same swing but you don't have quite the same feel. I don't have problems pulling 70% + shots but hitting a 50% dink seems very difficult. That said my son on the other hand appeared to have no difficulty with the full range of shots - so it could be just the way i'm hitting it. After playing more I was definitely getting better on this so it could just be part of the learning curve.

In terms of the 1v1 - play was fun and definitely more interesting than Wii Golf. Putting which is mentioned a lot I didn't have much issue with. It's not intuitive but it does work. Basically the marker on the screen says how far it will go with the percentage of shot. So close up it could be saying 100% so that needs a 100% shot. Or it could be 80% and be 6 metres away. It does tell you this so its not an issue - for some reason they just didn't go for a simple putting mechanics of the harder the hit the further it goes. Ultimately it works its just strange smile

Multiplayer was frankly awesome - got myself into some trouble with the wife as that part I just couldn't put down. You play simultaneously with up to 4 people. You're timed 25 seconds per shot - which is way to fast but does keep the shots moving and its just a  whole load of fun

The career mode was good - not played a lot but certainly seemed a good way of building up knowledge of the various courses. In addition the coaching side was neat with various tips been given and a club tuner. Although the relevance of the club tuner to the MP side i'm not so sure!

Graphics were good for the wii - certainly better than the 07 version, I don't have any other console so I was happy with the display side - no crowd but I didn't miss them. Sound effects covered the crowd and the commentators.

These forums
http://forums.ea.com/mboards/forum.jspa?forumID=3969

Are a useful place to hang out for tips on general play.

Manual as you would expect from EA is diabolical

So as a golf game its very enjoyable - the swing at this point can be frustrating but i'm relatively sure this is me and my total lack of golf understanding and certainly I see myself playing this much more over the coming weeks. I'll post further impressions later as I improve or not smile

Any questions fire away

Tals

nb Just seen I can use my created character online which is great as that will allow me to use his tuned club etc. So will be trying that next
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 05:56:50 AM by Tals » Logged

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2008, 08:01:53 AM »

OK got up and played another game with my son. This time using the tips in the stickied post on the EA re the putting and also I found a post regarding swing. On the swings if you are having difficulties nailing it make sure your game char has his club where you want it to be. So for a 50% shot get the club to around the 8.00 position and then swing smoothly. Worked a treat for a 50%ish shot.

Also using your created chars with tuned chars with tuned clubs could be done for both players - so my son and I used our own characters.

All in all in all made a huge difference.

Recommended and loving it smile

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2008, 12:05:36 PM »

Glad your liking it!

Moat_Man
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2008, 02:10:08 AM »

Thanks for the tips and the time spent on the post.

End of line.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: