http://gamingtrend.com
August 21, 2014, 04:11:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Wii] The first quarter looks dreadful  (Read 2410 times)
JCC
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 17, 2007, 03:11:17 AM »

Just dreadful. This article just depresses me. Out of the "must have" titles over the next 3 months, according to this article, I will be purchasing exactly none of them. They really need Mario or Metroid out by June. In the meantime they need to beef up the VC with NINTENDO games that don't suck. (Please give me Super Metroid, Nintendo, you bastards!)

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 03:20:04 AM »

Pretty typical for most console's first non-holiday quarter IMO.  I expect we'll get Metroid in April.  As for the first quarter stuff, I'm interested in SSX Blur and Sonic (looks like it may be the first decent non-handheld Sonic title iin a long time) pending reviews.  That article was the first I've heard of the TMNT game but seeing that it's being developed by Ubi Montreal immediately catches my interest though I expect it will show up on all of the consoles in true Ubisoft fashion. 
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 03:21:03 AM »

Just as bad as the PS3 lineup, IMHO. Short of VF5 (which is no longer a PS3 exclusive), there's nothing that even looks remotely good between now and when the 'port' for Oblivion comes out in early March.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
JSL

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 03:25:13 AM »

Well, it isn't great, but it could be worse. SSX Blur and Sonic have potential to be really good, but I will be waiting for reviews. I will probably be getting Cooking Mama as well, since my SO thinks it sounds fun.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 03:44:14 AM »

It is very disappointing, but others have said, it's par for the course. There was nothing I wanted for months after the initial launch of the PSP, DS, and 360 just to name a few.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 03:50:03 AM »

As others have mentioned I expect this to be a slow year probably until around the fall, just like the DS.  A lot of news seems to indicate that a lot of devs/pubs were a bit late in jumping on the bandwagon but have done a bit of a course correction starting in late fall  but we probably won't see the fruits of their labor until well into this year. 

I do hope that Nintendo encourages faster localization than normal since a lot of intersting stuff tends to appear in Japan well before we get it.  Fire Emblem, for example, is scheduled for release in the relatively near future in Japan I think, and it would be nice to see them get a quick localization for that one out here.

Also, if the rumors about Super Paper Mario being moved to Wii were true, that would be another excellent contender for the first half of this year. 
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 03:59:01 AM »

Definite purchases:
Mario Party 8
Wario Ware: Smooth Moves - purchased
Wii Play

Potential purchases:
Bust-a-Move Bash!
Sonic and the Secret Rings
SSX Blur
TMNT

Looks like a decent first quarter to me.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 02:00:07 PM by CrayolaSmoker » Logged

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 04:02:24 AM »

Wii Play's reviews have scared me off of that. SSX should be great though. At least I hope. slywink
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 04:03:57 AM »

Quote from: Lee on January 17, 2007, 04:02:24 AM

Wii Play's reviews have scared me off of that. SSX should be great though. At least I hope. slywink

Wii Play is probably best viewed through the filter that you are buying an extra remote and for another $10 you get a free game on top of it.  But if you already have the extra remote....
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2007, 04:39:07 AM »

Sonic was a great deal of fun when I played it at E3.  Mitch had a similar reaction.   Beyond those titles, I see a lot of ports and not a lot of 'must have' titles. frown

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2007, 05:01:08 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on January 17, 2007, 04:39:07 AM

Sonic was a great deal of fun when I played it at E3.  Mitch had a similar reaction.   Beyond those titles, I see a lot of ports and not a lot of 'must have' titles. frown

Absolutely. Sonic may be the upmteenth version of the Sonic platforming franchise but damn it was fun leaning side to side and forward and back to control the little hedgehog.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2007, 06:02:08 AM »

You know, that Heatseeker game looks like it could be okay and I never did play Two Thrones, so if that comes out okay, I'm in.  Same on MK:Armageddon, but I'm more wary on that one (still I'm holding off on the purchase for BC 360).  The way they're talking about SSX Blur is making it seem like the must-own on the list.  I hope that Sonic is as good as the potential seems to be.  And I'll be in on MP8, too.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
unbreakable
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2007, 06:11:57 AM »

I never really "got" Sonic.  I played it a bit back in the day, but always got bored.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2007, 06:20:08 AM »

yeah i have noticed the line up is pretty bad for me...i have wii play as it has already come out here(and still bad)....metroid and mario is all i want,nothing else interests me...hope something changes

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2007, 12:34:26 PM »

There's no pinball in Wii Play...what're they smoking?
The video I've seen for Sonic looked REALLY good...and I don't like Sonic.
I'd be interested in PoP, perhaps, but I don't need another title I can't play with the kids,
especially since there are some Cube titles I'd like to try.
Honestly, I've still got so much to play from launch I'm not worried about it.
I've still barely scratched the surface of what Wii Sports and Zelda have to offer.
I'm half way through Rayman. Done a few levels in Elebits.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2007, 03:32:52 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on January 17, 2007, 06:02:08 AM

Same on MK:Armageddon, but I'm more wary on that one (still I'm holding off on the purchase for BC 360). 

MK: Armageddon made the backwards compatibility list on the last update, just so you know. 
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 03:34:28 PM by EngineNo9 » Logged

Sandwiches do fix everything.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2007, 03:55:14 PM »

I can use a few months of no new games to tempt me - I've got quite the backlog.  I don't mind, really.  Release some nice VC games in the meantime and I've got no problem.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2007, 04:38:11 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on January 17, 2007, 03:32:52 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on January 17, 2007, 06:02:08 AM

Same on MK:Armageddon, but I'm more wary on that one (still I'm holding off on the purchase for BC 360). 

MK: Armageddon made the backwards compatibility list on the last update, just so you know. 

Thanks, Engine, I do know, but I'm waiting until the Wii version comes out before picking one of them up.  Sorry if that wasn't clear.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2007, 07:26:06 PM »

I don't think this quarters line up is all that bad. We already have Wario Ware and some other games look quite promising; Sonic, SSX Blur, God Father Black hand.
 I thought the GC version of SSX3 was the best of all 3, so if it's the same EA development team we know they can at least develop decent games for a Nintendo console.

I'm cautiously remaining hopeful for the God Father game. I initially thought it wouldn't fly but after seeing the last video of the in game footage I've changed my mind a bit; the controls look very good.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2007, 07:40:10 PM »

If I didn't already have Godfather for the 360, I would consider getting Godfather Blackhand.  I imagine the visuals would be a deterrent for Godfather Blackhand, though.

adamsappel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2007, 09:21:30 PM »

The inevitable post-launch drought somewhat eases the pain of not being able to find one of these damn things (and I can only buy one from Toys R Us, since I have a giftcard, so it's exponentially more difficult). Even if Wii Play isn't at the level of Wii Sports (though didn't we all scoff at that game before release?), it does come with another remote, and those are scarce enough themselves.

Xbox Live Gamertag: adamsappel
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2007, 09:46:17 PM »

Unfortunately my Wii is going to remain in mothballs until Metroid comes out, or we have company over who want to try out Wii Sports.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2007, 10:15:23 PM »

Actually, for Nintendo, I am impressed.
The line up don't look all that bad...

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ()  ()  ()
PS3 Spinks
siege

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2007, 12:33:51 AM »

The next Wii game I'm interested in is Metroid or Mario Galaxy, which ever manages to be released first, and who knows how long that will be.

Thankfully the DS is loaded all year long and will keep me entertained while I wait for those must have games on the Wii.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2007, 09:48:03 PM »

it looks like TW 2007 is coming to the Wii in March, and that is probably going to be enough to keep me from getting Super Swing Golf. Golf + Wii = The Win!

I think there are couple other less official games, but otherwise I see a couple solid titles and a couple with potential and a handfull of ports/updates. Nothing incredible and nothing horrible, but a lot of what I expected this time in the console's life. I am not worried about Year one for Nintendo, I am worried about year 2 and beyond.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2007, 10:30:28 PM »

Well i got my Wii for party type games and things for the wife to enjoy.  If i can find a game or two here or there that i enjoy, i'm ok with that.

I haven't done any research, but are there any baseball or basketball games in the work?  How about a stand alone bowling game that would build on what Wii sports started?  I'd love a bowling game that added a gift shop, tour, different alley's, etc.  Anything like this in the works?

CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2007, 01:56:57 PM »

Looks like we can add Wing Island to the first quarter list. Perhaps it's nostalgia talking, but I recall enjoying the hell out of Pilotwings, and this one looks to be in the same vein.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2007, 02:05:09 PM »

Quote from: siege on January 18, 2007, 12:33:51 AM

The next Wii game I'm interested in is Metroid or Mario Galaxy, which ever manages to be released first, and who knows how long that will be.

Thankfully the DS is loaded all year long and will keep me entertained while I wait for those must have games on the Wii.

yeah the DS has quite a few final fantasy titles coming out(also for GBA but i use them on the DS)...starfox came out on friday as well for the DS(starfox command)...looks okay,and i liked the ones on the SNES/N64

as for the Wii....only the VC titles are keeping me turning the machine on every friday(i'll be starting metal gear solid :twin snakes backward compat on it soon though icon_confused)

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2007, 03:57:03 PM »

Quote from: CrayolaSmoker on January 27, 2007, 01:56:57 PM

Looks like we can add Wing Island to the first quarter list. Perhaps it's nostalgia talking, but I recall enjoying the hell out of Pilotwings, and this one looks to be in the same vein.

Kick. Ass.

I loved Pilotwings, so this one shoots right to the top of my must-have list. I'm beginning my Wii search on Feb 9th (payday) and my wife has set a hard deadline for me to find one of March 8th (the day Mario Party 8 comes out). Should be a fun month coming up smile.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2007, 05:13:15 PM »

Quote from: godhugh on January 27, 2007, 03:57:03 PM

I loved Pilotwings, so this one shoots right to the top of my must-have list. I'm beginning my Wii search on Feb 9th (payday) and my wife has set a hard deadline for me to find one of March 8th (the day Mario Party 8 comes out). Should be a fun month coming up smile.

Mario Party was recently delayed I believe. 
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2007, 05:17:44 PM »

Quote from: godhugh on January 27, 2007, 03:57:03 PM

Quote from: CrayolaSmoker on January 27, 2007, 01:56:57 PM

Kick. Ass.

If you can't manage to find one prior to Mario Party 8 coming out you're more than welcome to come over to our house and play ours.  icon_biggrin

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2007, 10:38:42 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 27, 2007, 05:13:15 PM

Not that I recall seeing. If you can think of where you saw it, please post it, Kevin.
Wing Island doesn't look at all interesting to me. The videos I've seen look kind of dull.

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2007, 11:31:07 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on January 27, 2007, 10:38:42 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 27, 2007, 05:13:15 PM

Not that I recall seeing. If you can think of where you saw it, please post it, Kevin.
Wing Island doesn't look at all interesting to me. The videos I've seen look kind of dull.

When Nintendo announced their 1Q titles, press.nintendo.com, Mario Party 8 was completely absent. Ign has it pegged for a first or second week of April now.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2007, 11:35:29 PM »

Hmmm...good point. How'd I not notice that  paranoid

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: