http://gamingtrend.com
October 31, 2014, 03:56:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Wii] Super Swing Golf impressions  (Read 3152 times)
rrmorton
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 15, 2006, 05:03:34 AM »

For those of you eager for a quality Wii golf game, I have good news. It's already here!

I've been messing around with Super Swing Golf for about 4 hours this evening and despite a few gameplay elements I wish they'd done better, I'm really enjoying it.

The only prior experience I have with this type of cartoony console golf game is Hot Shots Golf on the PSP which really surprised me with how deep and addictive it was. Super Swing Golf seems to do just about everything that game did, plus some extra Final-Fantasy-esque goofiness, plus the tremendously awesome addition of the wiimote golf swing.

That's the most important thing they got right, the feel of the swing control. It's not nearly as forgiving or flabby as Wii Sports golf, which is good because I wanted a lot more depth out of this game. I use a one-handed swing with both games but the surprising thing about SSG was that during the tutorial, I actually found I played better using a proper two-handed grip. But since I can't keep my eyes on the screen when using two hands, I went back to a one-handed swing and simply tried to emulate the path it took when I used two hands. You should expect to take a little time getting a feel for the swing but eventually the tempo and power and sensitivity should all feel very satisfying. Does to me anyway.

You swing the wiimote back over your shoulder while watching a power bar (calibrated to your club and aim position) that you can stop by pressing and holding the A button and then you follow through. Your ball can curve left or right (and often will since it can be a real challenge to hit it straight.) If you swing perfectly, you get a PANGYA shot which I'm finding very difficult to achieve, as it should be. The gameplay also includes Power Shots and Special Shots you can do once you've earned enough on your Pangya meter. I'm not sure how skill advancement works since I haven't yet gone up in rank.

The AI feels good so far. I easily won the first 2 rounds of story mode, but rounds 3 and 4 were close and exciting. I narrowly won the 3rd round and then lost the 4th round in an excruciating 9-hole match that I blew on the final hole. It was really fun.

As for the cartoony aspect, it used to turn me off but not anymore. I'm not ashamed to say, I enjoy the hell out of shopping for new clothes and accessories and dressing up my little golfers between rounds. You earn money as you play, like this...

...then you spend it in the shop like this...

(Sorry for the import pics. Yes, my version is in English. biggrin ) There are lots of different game modes but so far I've only played the Story mode. This is just some nonsense about a Pangya (golf) fest and before each match the characters do some silly trashtalking and/or flirting. They're very Japanese and very goofy but some of them are cool to look at.

The two in the background are caddies. These characters are bizarre and not particularly helpful. All they do is chase after your ball when you hit it and tell you to hit a shot harder out of a bunker.

The courses are very fantastical and quite attractive, artistically. The graphics are the best I've seen on the Wii (which isn't saying much.)

So, that's the good stuff. The two main drawbacks are a sometimes-clunky interface and a weak putting system.

As for the interface, the control layout is kind of annoying (especially tapping the 1 button twice for the aerial camera.) And you frequently have to move the sensor to click an OKAY button to advance to the next screen when it would've been vastly preferable to just pull the trigger or something. Fortunately this isn't the case when you want to move from shot-aiming to your swing control. I initially thought I had to aim at and then click the SHOT button every time I wanted to swing but then I discovered simply pulling the B trigger would start the swing mode. Still, there are other places this is a nuisance, like on the between-hole scorecard.

The other way the interface is cumbersome is when you're trying to strategize a good approach to the green or find the right landing area. You tap the (difficult to reach) 1 button once to enter a free camera mode in which you pull the B trigger and move the wiimote around to scroll left and right or forward and back along the ground. Tap 1 again and you're in an overhead camera view. It's simple to tap a spot for your target marker from this camera view, but it's a pain to get into it and out of it again.

As for putting, the visual grid-with-dot system they used is the biggest drawback to the game. Here's a picture...

The position of the dot within each square indicates where a ball would roll if it was dropped on the center of the square. This works fine for reading left and right slope but it doesn't feel intuitive for uphill/downhill reads. It can be hard to tell whether the dot is forward or back in a square once you get about four squares out so if you have a long putt, you may totally miss a big slope in the distance. I'd rather just have the info of how far above or below the pin I am and judge by feel from there, rather than this overly analytical, mathematical system. It gets in the way and feels too brainy and not enough like real golf. It also gets sloppily confusing if the green has a lot of undulations because then the dots just seem to form an incoherent mishmash.

I'm used to it now but I would have preferred some other system. Fortunately, putting is still fun and satisfying because they make up for the convoluted green-reading system with (again) great feel for the actual putting swing. I had a little trouble at first, but then I started putting with a turn and flick of the wrist (not moving my arms) and had better results. After a few hours of practice, you'll get to the point where (just like in real life) you can pretty much tell if a putt has a chance or not right when it leaves your blade.

I'm gonna get back to it! Gotta see if I can finish off Hana's 5-match story mode before bed. But first, should I buy her the denim skirt or the red silk dress?  icon_coolnodicon_biggrin
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 05:07:27 AM by rrmorton » Logged
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 05:08:11 AM »

Thanks! I had it pre-ordered but my EB didn't get it yet. Looks like I'm officially IN!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 05:26:46 AM »

Thanks for the impressions. After reading Gamespot's review (6.8 ) I was not going to buy it, but your impressions have made me reconsider.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 05:44:05 AM by Lee » Logged
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 05:32:13 AM »

Wow, I'm surprised it's that low. I'll have to go read and see where they gave it demerits.

Maybe I'm not seeing some of its faults because I'm just so happy to be playing a golf video game where I actually pretend to swing a club in my living room. I've wanted a video game like this forever.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006, 05:46:07 AM »

The problem here is you can find the supposedly better playing, and just as good looking GameCube "Swingerz" golf for for about $2.00 at most Gamestopo's.  Of course, it won't swing with the Wii, but whatever, its $2.00 and plays better.

Swingerz;

Don't forget, you can also play Albatross18 free on the PC, which sounds identical to Super Swing.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2006, 05:52:06 AM »

You are missing the point Kobra. It's all about the controls. Sports golf is weak, but it shows the potential of what a good golf game could be with the Wii's controller. If I want a good golf game I have TW on the 360, but I can't wait for a good Wii golf game and would gladly pay money for it.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2006, 05:57:21 AM »

Gamespot seemed to indicate most people will prefer NOT to swing their Wii.

Unfortunately, there are several things that will likely cause you to prefer to swing using the remote's buttons, rather than using the motion-sensing controls all of the time.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2006, 06:16:17 AM »

Quote from: Kobra on December 15, 2006, 05:57:21 AM

Gamespot seemed to indicate most people will prefer NOT to swing their Wii.

Unfortunately, there are several things that will likely cause you to prefer to swing using the remote's buttons, rather than using the motion-sensing controls all of the time.

Which is one of the reasons I am not rushing out to buy this. Again, I am really feeling the Wiis game were very rushed. Look at Game Rankings and all but 3 games are under 80% and one of the better games seems like it's just a port of the DS game (Trauma Center).

Then again all the consoles early games seemed rushed. Thankfully, Zelda is amazing.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2006, 07:05:29 AM »

Quote from: rrmorton on December 15, 2006, 05:03:34 AM

The two in the background are caddies. These characters are bizarre and not particularly helpful. All they do is chase after your ball when you hit it and tell you to hit a shot harder out of a bunker.

Apparently, they get more helpful as you get further into the game.

I was IN, then on the fence after the Gamespot review, but now IN again.  Thanks!

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2006, 12:32:43 PM »

Not my cup of tea.  I loved the entire Hot Shots series, but I'm not feeling this one.  I'm going to post mine for sale in the trading forum if anyone is interested.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2006, 12:39:00 PM »

I think it is to be expected that the first real golf game for Wii would be scrutinized pretty heavily.
I really enjoyed Hot Shots on PSP and am very interested in this...but I have too much on my plate
right now, so I'll look into it later.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2006, 01:36:35 PM »

After all these positive impressions Im out.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2006, 02:10:35 PM »

Just to add why I didn't care much for it, I guess I was ruined by the Wii Sports golf where you just swing the club and hit the ball.  If feels more natural on Wii Sports than in Super Swing Golf.  For example, in Wii Sports golf, when you have a two foot putt, you move the remote back about as far as you would for a real life two foot putt.  In Super Swing Golf, you almost have to swing at the ball to make a two foot putt.  I just didn't get the feeling I was playing golf.  Also as the original poster said, it's almost impossible to swing two handed in this game as you MUST look at the screen to play.  Well, anyone that's ever played golf knows you must keep your head down to hit the ball. 

In short, I was hoping for a full fledged golf game built on something resembling the Wii Sports golf engine.  What I got doesn't come close.  Color me very disappointed.   thumbsdown
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2006, 02:27:00 PM »

Killing me!!  icon_neutral

Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2006, 03:25:19 PM »

Quote from: Lee on December 15, 2006, 05:52:06 AM

You are missing the point Kobra. It's all about the controls. Sports golf is weak, but it shows the potential of what a good golf game could be with the Wii's controller. If I want a good golf game I have TW on the 360, but I can't wait for a good Wii golf game and would gladly pay money for it.

Yes, I agree.  I am not into sports games at all, but the wii gameplay is what appeals to me the most.  I am buying this.
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2006, 03:33:01 PM »

The Gamespot review seems pretty fair but I'd add at least a full point or 2 depending on how excited you are about a wiimote swinging golf game (and therefore how forgiving you're likely to be.)

One thing I find puzzling about it is that they say...

Quote from: Gamespot
For the most part, using the remote as a golf club works surprisingly well and you really feel as if you're hitting a ball.

I agree. That's the beginning and ending of what this game had to nail in order to get the thumbs up from me. But then they turn around and say...

To me, the whole point of the game is swinging the wiimote. There's no way I would ever try the sit-on-my-ass-and-press-the-buttons control style. If I wanted that, there are better games on better systems with better gamepads. They also say...

Swinging the remote is plenty accurate when playing against friends, but it's just not precise enough when taking on some of the more challenging CPU-controlled golfers. When you've got 45 minutes invested in a round, you don't want to lose because the game registered your shot at 15.9 yards when you needed 16.0 for the putt to drop.

Of course I do! That's the game of golf! 44 and a half minutes of slow-paced tension-building competition until it all comes down to the final putt and a .1 yard difference between the sweet thrill of victory and the agony of defeat. That's what makes golf (and golf videogames) fun! I find that part of the review very contradictory and misleading.

Of course, I'm saying that because I like the feel and consistency of the putting stroke. (I don't like the system for reading the slope of the green, but that's a different thing altogether.) I've never felt that a missed shot was the game cheating or misreading my input, but rather, that I had blown the stroke myself.

And that's a misleading example for another reason. He's griping about coming up .1 yard short but there's a window of opportunity he could have hit beyond the 16 yard mark. In other words, in that example, he could have hit the putt a tiny bit harder or substantially harder and still made it. There's a fairly generous blue segment on the power meter when you putt that represents where the hole is located. You have to account for uphill or downhill slope to make sure you don't come up short (alice) or pop out which I did one time.

The_Man, how much time did you give it? It kinda grew on me over the four hours I played so I'm just curious. And did you try putting using only your wrist? I didn't have the same experience you describe with a two foot putt. As I mentioned earlier, once I started holding the wiimote in place and locking my arm then simply cocking my wrist back and snapping it forward, the putting felt pretty solid.

There's room for improvement in SSG but personally, I'd rather have a pretty-good golf game available right away on the Wii rather than wait 6 or more months for the first great Wii golf title to hit shelves. Hopefully they'll do a Mario Golf title that's simplified along the lines of Wii Sports golf but with more robust gameplay modes and plenty of courses, characters, equipment, etc. And of course a quality Wii version of Tiger Woods would be welcome, though I have to say, that game has been losing its appeal ever since the 2004 version. Maybe a Wii swing mechanic could be just the thing to make it fun again.

Again, I don't love Super Swing Golf itself so much as I love having a Wii golf game, if that makes any sense. The controls are what sets the Wii apart from other systems and justifies its existence so my enjoyment of the game is largely due to Nintendo's innovation. If you think that describes you, then you'll probably like it.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 03:42:31 PM by rrmorton » Logged
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2006, 03:45:58 PM »

Quote from: The_Man
...it's almost impossible to swing two handed in this game as you MUST look at the screen to play.  Well, anyone that's ever played golf knows you must keep your head down to hit the ball.

Yeah, but in real golf, I have a ball to look at and a real club in my hand. When playing video game golf, I *want* to be looking at the screen, not staring down at absolutely nothing on the carpet.
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2006, 04:27:44 PM »

Quote from: rrmorton on December 15, 2006, 03:45:58 PM

Quote from: The_Man
...it's almost impossible to swing two handed in this game as you MUST look at the screen to play.  Well, anyone that's ever played golf knows you must keep your head down to hit the ball.

Yeah, but in real golf, I have a ball to look at and a real club in my hand. When playing video game golf, I *want* to be looking at the screen, not staring down at absolutely nothing on the carpet.

Well I don't know about you, but it just doesn't feel like golf if I swing one handed or have my heard raised up looking at the tv. Just like in real golf, you should keep your head down until you hit the ball and then you can watch it fly through the air.  It just feels wrong having to watch a stupid meter while you swing at the ball. I've been playing real golf for almost 40 years and I just don't think Super Swing Golf captures the essence of golf anywhere near as well as the Wii sports version does.  Every aspect just feels clunky especially the chipping and putting.  Trust me, I was absolutely pumped about this game and words just can't describe how disappointed I am in it.  From being forced to watch the stupid bad translation cut scenes to pretty awful game mechanics, this game really let me down.

I don't dispute that there will be people that like it, but if you're expecting the smooth swing and good feel of Wii Sports Golf, you won't find it here.  As a matter of fact, while playing this game, my shoulder actually started hurting from having to swing so hard.  If IGN gave it a 6.8, I'd say they're being very generous.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 04:29:21 PM by The_Man » Logged
siege

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2006, 07:21:38 PM »

Hmm. I wonder how well I'll adjust to the Wii version of Pangya. I've put over 700 hours into the PC version and obtained an Amateur rank. My stats are pretty good, but no where near the Korean pros. Got around 150 hio's and a shade over a 100 albatrosses. I never bought any of the good equipment since it costs real money, so being able to get all the cool stuff in this version will be a nice change.

Btw, the caddies never give you any helpful advice. However, they do provide bonuses to your stats if it's the same. It's a shame to hear the putting is difficult. I've sunk a 42 yarder and average 85% in my putts on the PC version. Once you get really good at the game, you will land within 2-3 yards of the hole every time using backspin or tomahawks. My favorite aspect of the game are the courses. There are tons of shortcuts and learning where the good lies are for an approach shot is what it's all about. My record score is -25 on West Wiz.

I'll probably pick it up some time around Christmas with a gift card I'm sure to get from someone.  icon_biggrin
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 07:25:46 PM by siege » Logged
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2006, 02:25:03 AM »

Played my first game after the tutorial and lost in story mode thanks to an out of bounds hit. Then I played a stroke play tournament. It's quite fun, actually a lot of fun. The graphics are decent, the courses look interesting. Lots of stuff to buy, although I don't have any money.

In stroke tournament play, you play by yourself but your score is compared to 7 different golfers. Ties are broken by "pang" which rrmorton described above. I was 2nd all 18 holes, but I trailed all the golfers in Pang. By a lot. It was fun though. I won 8 lottery tickets, which I have no idea what to do with. There is a match play tournament also that I didn't try.

Swinging is a bit frustrating. The tutorial tells you what you are doing wrong, and I could only get a straight shot by using 2 hands, but using 2 hands and getting a perfect shot feels very uncomfortable and my left hand is actually sore after 2 hours of play (right handed). I don't get what I am supposed to be doing on the swing to get the perfect shot is my problem, but I haven't cracked the manuel yet. I also found it a bit frustrating that I couldn't figure out how to slice or hook the ball. Again I have to read the manual, it probably tells you.

Putting hasn't bothered me too much. You can use an overhead to get a view of the green and it tells you how far above or below the hole you are in meters (although distances are in yards). I didn't find it too hard, but then again I didn't sink any long puts, and sometimes even short putts were challenging.

My impressions are very good so far, but I do wish they would have added things like a practice range. Two thumbs up from me so far. Not perfect, but a fun game. Looking forward to playing it at our Wii OO party tomorrow night.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2006, 05:54:17 PM »

Quick question: I was only able to play 9 holes in stroke play today.  Is there no way to choose the number of holes?  Also, and more importantly, is there no way to save your game?  I couldn't find it.  Very annoying.  If it's due to not wanting players to cheat, okay.  At least give us a quicksave that disappears when you load it.  I'm hoping I just missed something, though.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2006, 07:22:11 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on December 16, 2006, 05:54:17 PM

Quick question: I was only able to play 9 holes in stroke play today.  Is there no way to choose the number of holes?  Also, and more importantly, is there no way to save your game?  I couldn't find it.  Very annoying.  If it's due to not wanting players to cheat, okay.  At least give us a quicksave that disappears when you load it.  I'm hoping I just missed something, though.

Um, I thought it said right in the description on screen that stroke play is 18 holes. The one game I played was 18 holes, and I don't remember an option for anything else.

Yeah, the lack of a save sucks. I like the game, but it's another rushed game.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2006, 03:38:27 AM »

Hmm, so little talk about this game. Impressions after are week of so of having it:

Great golf game. The game is very fun, and there is lots to see.

Swinging: Frustrating. I always hit the ball to the right. Actually I had the swing down and could get a Pangya every other shot for awhile, but the next day I went right back to slicing every shot. The tutorial tells you what you are doing wrong, for a slice it says I need to lock my elbows. I am, maybe I need to lock them sooner in the swing, I don't know. I just play the game knowing that I will go right of my target and adjust accordingly.

I swing 2 handed, you only need to look at the screen on the backhand, despite what people say above. Once your got your back swing locked in, you can look wherever you want to. Playing one handed is an option, but I don't because I want the game to feel more like real golf.

Putting has turned out to be the easiest part for me (while chipping is the hardest). Really long puts are awkward because you can only see the slope from the overhead view. But anything within 15 yards or so is pretty easy. Once you learn how to read what the greens are telling you, and look for the slope, putting is easy. The game tells you how hard to hit if it was flat, so you just need to adjust accordingly.

Chipping is the hard just because I can't master the swing, and reading how the height of the hole, as compared to you, will impact the distance.

The interface is pretty rough. There is no easy way to zoom out on the overheard to see the whole hole. To zoom out you have to hold B and pull the remote back, to get the whole view, you will have to this 2-4 times. It just seems there are times where they could have made things easier by letting me press a button, or removing a button press.

It's not always easy to line up what you are seeing in first person with the overhead. For instance one of the courses takes place on and around a frozen aircraft carrier. Aiming, and seeing all the little things that will get in your way up above on the flight deck isn't always very easy. It can be frustrating, but I guess knowing the courses will get you around this.

Each time you play you get Pang for how well you do. Good drives, nice putts, birdies, etc earn you Pang. You can use this to buy new clubs (normal clubs, ones shaped like baseball bats, weapons, etc), balls (different balls make effects as they fly), and clothes for your character and your caddie. Clothes boost your stats (as does your caddie).

After you play a round you get lottery tickets. Which are pretty pointless. You will win items, but most of them just give you game artwork (something like 350 pictures you can get). The silly part is to get your prize you have to spin this lottery ball spinner thing. You spin the handle and when you let go of the button it shoots out a piece that tells your prize. It's boring, and the prizes usually suck.

To unlock stuff you have to play story mode. I have only beaten the first 2 of these. I don't like this mode. The CPU players are pretty good (and I suck), and I get frustrated with their near perfect chips, yet the AI sometimes disregards major obstacles like they aren't even there. I just like to play in Stroke play myself. In that I compare scores to others, but don't have to watch them play. Plus I can win in Stroke mode.

Anyway, it's a fun game. I highly recommend it.
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2006, 05:00:56 AM »

I've been playing Super Swing Golf just about every day since I got it. I really like it too.

After beating the first story mode, I've spent all week working on the first Stroke play match. I found this pretty damn challenging. I could usually hold my own for 3 or 6 or 8 holes but then I'd hit it OB or into some water and reach GIVE UP on some holes and I'd get so frustrated I just powered off the system.

Then a couple days ago I finally got to the point where I could compete pretty well, partly because I'd practiced and learned the mechanics and partly because I was starting to learn the course really well. After coming in 2nd about 3 times yesterday, I finally reached 1st place today.

I always hit the ball to the left and virtually never see "Pangya!" except on the occasional chip. I do play better two-handed so maybe I'll try that for a while and see if I can straighten out my swing. It's a pretty tough game but I'm having a blast with it.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2006, 06:43:37 AM »

hmm,how have i missed this thread?

good impressions..must say it looks great,i enjoyed the golf on the wii sports disc but it just wasnt long enough....this is the kinda game i was looking for(it is longer than the golf game on wii sports right?)

so,how many holes,courses,whatever is in this game?

and heres me thinking the only games due for the wii that i wanted are mario galaxy and metroid

unfortunately,i cant find a release date for the UK. crybaby

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2006, 04:09:18 AM »

I think there are 8 courses with 18 holes each.

Good call on the 2-handed swing, Lee. I'm playing MUCH better that way. I'm getting PANGYA swings about once every-other hole. I even managed to successfully do a Tomahawk and a Cobra special shot.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2006, 04:14:31 AM »

Quote from: rrmorton on December 26, 2006, 04:09:18 AM

I think there are 8 courses with 18 holes each.

But they modify the courses I believe. For instance there will be a course available in level 1 and level 2. I haven't replayed one yet, but I would think they add things to make it harder.

Good call on the 2-handed swing, Lee. I'm playing MUCH better that way. I'm getting PANGYA swings about once every-other hole. I even managed to successfully do a Tomahawk and a Cobra special shot.

Hehe, I wish I knew what I was doing wrong. I am not sure if it's my wrists or the angle of the remote, but I seem to have completely lost my touch. I would LOVE some sort of swing analysis that tells me what I am doing wrong. I was winning stroke rounds by like 10 swings, then last night I was +13 and in last place. I think I am over thinking things now. Just like real golf. :icon_confused:
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2006, 04:00:23 AM »

Help!

I grabbed this game and fired it up tonight but am really stuck on the swing for a number of different reasons.

1) I make a nice smooth backswing and the meter is jumping all over the place.

2) To combat the wild reaction to the swing meter, I don't bother pulling back like a real swing and just move the remote to where I want the power to be, hold A and swing forward.

3) I don't like how you can do this...

4) Why bother with the buttons for the swing? Why can't they treat the remote like the analog stick in the Tiger games (or even like it is in Wii Sports)?

Am I completely screwing something up or is this actually how the game plays?

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2006, 04:43:51 AM »

I think you are over thinking. No it's not smooth on the backswing, I don't see why it matters that much though. A full power swing is easy, and anything less than full you are estimating and it's not hard to get close enough power to get to the hole anyway. Just swing however you are comfortable.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2006, 05:05:00 AM »

Lee, thanks for the info, unfortunately that kinda kills the whole game for me.

It destroys the reality of what could easily be there. Your backswing is pretty important in golf and the thing you are constantly trying to accomplish is consistency.

If the backswing doesn't matter because meter is inconsistent, then why is it even golf?

crybaby

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2006, 05:10:21 AM »

The backswing does matter. Is it an exact science? No. I never have a problem getting the distance I want on it.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2006, 06:07:57 AM »

This game is the reason I want a Wii.  This and to play all the Zelda games.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2006, 03:55:40 PM »

I could never get a consistent meter using a normal golf swing. It jumps all over the place and as a result, the ball could go anywhere.

The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2006, 04:32:36 PM »

Quote from: Devil on December 30, 2006, 05:05:00 AM

Lee, thanks for the info, unfortunately that kinda kills the whole game for me.

It destroys the reality of what could easily be there. Your backswing is pretty important in golf and the thing you are constantly trying to accomplish is consistency.

If the backswing doesn't matter because meter is inconsistent, then why is it even golf?

crybaby

My thoughts exactly and why this game is an awful representation of the game of golf.  The mechanics of Wii Sports golf are much closer to what I was expecting from Super Swing Golf.
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2006, 04:37:01 PM »

Quote from: Lee on December 30, 2006, 05:10:21 AM

The backswing does matter. Is it an exact science? No. I never have a problem getting the distance I want on it.

I can hit for distance, too, but to do so feels nothing like real golf.  I mean isn't that the point of the interactive controller...to simulate a golf swing?  If that's not the point then maybe I'm missing other reasons to own a Wii, like flailing around blindly somewhat simulating a golf swing.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2006, 04:45:08 PM »

It's not perfect no, but I find it fun. The back swing is a bit arcady I guess, but I also don't think it's hard to get the power I want in the shot. It bounces sure, but I just press the button when its where I want it. Not very realistic, but it works pretty good IMO.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2006, 04:50:05 PM »

I guess I was expecting more of a "Wii Sports" swing mechanic wrapped up in a full game.

Sadly, I'm probably OUT! now...

icon_frown

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2006, 05:11:18 PM »

Quote from: Devil on December 30, 2006, 04:50:05 PM

I guess I was expecting more of a "Wii Sports" swing mechanic wrapped up in a full game.

Sadly, I'm probably OUT! now...

icon_frown

You interested in selling?

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2006, 05:24:23 PM »

You guys are like vultures!!  icon_wink

Dep actually PM'ed me on the same thing - I grabbed it used at EB and they have the exchange policy on used games so I'm going to bring it back there.

If you have NBA 2K7 for PS3, I'd be interested though! Rather ship it out to one of you guys.

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2007, 04:10:19 AM »

Rise from the DEAD...

I finally got off my rear end after Six months and picked this game up today. I just wanted to say that I actually really enjoy the swing mechanic, and knowing my buddies we will be trying to out do each other for quite some time with this one.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: