http://gamingtrend.com
November 01, 2014, 09:56:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Wii] Star Wars: Battlefront 3  (Read 1795 times)
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 16, 2006, 05:17:07 AM »

Last week I made a post about being part of a focus testing group for the Wii, and it was going to be focused on the upcoming Indiana Jones game by Lucas Arts. We didn't get to see any games, there wasn't even a Wii present, but we talked about upcoming games and their features, and one of them was SW: BF3. Now, understand that I am not a Star Wars fanatic, I haven't played any of the Battlefront games. However, when the dude started talking about controlling your lightsaber and force powers with the wiimote, I think everyone in the room began to drool. I'm not sure if the game is even officially announced. The thought of wielding a light saber and using force powers with the Wii control scheme sounds pretty enticing.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 06:40:30 AM »

And that very thought, my friend, is what would sell me a Wii in a heartbeat. Lightsabers controlled via the Wii? Hell yeah. thumbsup

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 06:55:34 AM »

If there isn't a lightsaber-focused Star Wars action game on the Wii at some point, that would be simply unforgivably short-sighted. icon_biggrin

For that matter, I really hope we finally get a Star Wars starfighter-based game on the 360/PS3 that can top the classic X-Wing/TIE Fighter pc games. Do I think it'll happen? Not really, but I can hope!

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 07:05:56 AM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on December 16, 2006, 06:40:30 AM

And that very thought, my friend, is what would sell me a Wii in a heartbeat. Lightsabers controlled via the Wii? Hell yeah. thumbsup

This is what I am talking about, if they pull this off - correctly - I would go and buy a Wii to play it.  Period. 

Disclaimer: "Correctly" means non-sucky graphics, good AI, and fun story line.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 07:08:14 AM by Kobra » Logged

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2006, 07:26:41 AM »

Hell they could be a small bump up from Star Wars Battlefront II and I'd be happy, full online play with full light-saber support. Um, yes I will play that.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2006, 07:30:21 AM »

Quote from: Kobra on December 16, 2006, 07:05:56 AM

This is what I am talking about, if they pull this off - correctly - I would go and buy a Wii to play it.  Period. 

But the graphics will suck! It's just a GC with a different controller.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2006, 08:40:08 AM »

But the graphics will suck! It's just a GC with a different controller

It's an Xbox with a Wii controller!

Sean Lama
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2006, 08:52:13 AM »

cant really say with the graphics yet....i think we will see what it can really do in 6 or so months,same with ps3

battlefront 1 and 2 are my favourite games,but..more online

even though i have a Wii...whats the story with the online...will there be any online play at all?...i can only connect to the shopping channel and that at the moment..i didnt think online play was actually gonna be a factor with this console,mainly because of ninty's original vision on staying faithful with single player games

if there will be normal online play,i wonder how it will play,as the WI-FI at the moment,doesnt exactly rush to get connected to the shopping channel

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
motodd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2006, 09:11:03 AM »

Quote from: Kobra on December 16, 2006, 07:05:56 AM

If the controls are perfect and done "correctly", the sound is spot on and I can dual-wield, then it can be suckiest of all suckiest graphics that ever sucked and I'll still buy 2 copies. Make it happen LucasArts!!!!
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2006, 12:58:39 PM »

Not quite.. the Xbox at least did HD at 720p, the Wii is just barely a bump up from the Gamecube in terms of raw power.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2006, 03:10:30 PM »

I, for one, have been claiming two games would come out for the Wii since it was announced.

1)  A Star Wars game with lightsaber controls.

2)  A fishing game.

biggrin
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2006, 03:13:12 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on December 16, 2006, 12:58:39 PM

Not quite.. the Xbox at least did HD at 720p, the Wii is just barely a bump up from the Gamecube in terms of raw power.

don't get farcry started again...

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2006, 03:49:50 PM »

The biggest problem for me on this is it will no doubt also come out on the 360.  There is no way I'm getting the comparatively crappy looking version over one that lets me flick a lightsaber on a little guy in third person.

That said, there had better be a Wii exclusive lightsaber title in the future.  If LucasArts puts all their jedi eggs in this basket, I'll be pissed.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2006, 04:03:27 PM »

Quote from: motodd on December 16, 2006, 09:11:03 AM

If the controls are perfect and done "correctly", the sound is spot on and I can dual-wield, then it can be suckiest of all suckiest graphics that ever sucked and I'll still buy 2 copies. Make it happen LucasArts!!!!

I'm not sure how they'd be able to implement dual wielding.  Sure, it could utilize 2 remotes but how would you move?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2006, 03:21:51 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 16, 2006, 04:03:27 PM

Quote from: motodd on December 16, 2006, 09:11:03 AM

I'm not sure how they'd be able to implement dual wielding.  Sure, it could utilize 2 remotes but how would you move?

hmm,..zelda uses the nunchuck for spin attacks....if you are fighting someone,duel wielding or single...i dont think there would be such a great need to 'go' that far anyway...if the lightsabre action is gonna be first person anyhow,which i hope it is

fought one person,move along,until next dark jedi,sith,rebel,jedi knight<<<<<yes the option for both sides...with lightsabre in one hand and dark force powers coming from the other,LOL

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2006, 12:44:08 AM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on December 16, 2006, 12:58:39 PM

LOL. That's pretty funny when you consider the XBox had a wimpy 733 mhz P3 CPU or even something less. In fact it was probably weaker than the Cube's Gecko CPU that was originally spec'd at 396 mhz but somehow managed to be pushed to 460 by the time the system went into production. Hell, even the PC AMD Duron's killed the P3 's in performance at the time.

The Wii's been stated as being a 729 mhz IBM gecko but some leaks from developers have put it at 1.2 GHz. And even though the Wii's GPU is reported to be the same as the Cube's it is running 1.5x faster. Irregardless the facts remains; the Wii CPU is generations beyond the Xbox's in performance and capability.

The only thing the Xbox had over the Cube was the graphics card.  But even at that, I haven't played many XBox titles that look better than RE4. Don't get me wrong I love my Xbox games running @ 720p but the single digit frame rates I occassionally get are a real downer.

Of course if you're of the old school that believes that CISC chips compete with RISC chips then go for it. But just remember that not everyone is as inept as Apple at utilizing RISC technology. And don't judge a consoles capabilities based upon a handful of release titles. It's all in the games, and the games will eventually show the difference.

Now back on topic; I'd love to see a BF3 on Wii. I have to admit I'm skeptical about the user group you claimed to have participated in; there hasn't even been a hint or remote rumour about a Lucas Arts game for the Wii. If even BF2 was released with some proper optimization for the Wii's graphic capabilities and unique controller, I'd be all over it!!!!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2006, 01:07:33 AM »

All of this may be well and true, but the simple fact of the matter is that if this generation lasts 20 years, the Wii will still look like crap compared to the PS3 and 360. Its a pretty simple dynamic.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2006, 01:34:30 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on December 18, 2006, 01:07:33 AM

All of this may be well and true, but the simple fact of the matter is that if this generation lasts 20 years, the Wii will still look like crap compared to the PS3 and 360. Its a pretty simple dynamic.

And? We all know that. They weren't going for power. I am fine with that, as is everyone else who has one. We had our OO party last night, and it was great fun. The system is just plain fun. Yes the games aren't there yet. But it's a new system, the 360 game line up was pretty unimpressive a year ago if you remember. The games will come.

The Wii and PS3 bashing/negativity is getting really old. Stick to your 360 threads, we all know everyones opinions now, you all tell us in every thread you can.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2006, 01:41:25 AM »

I can easily live with the graphics.  Zelda:TP and Wii Sports have already been two of the most enjoyable experiences related to gaming for me.  I'd gladly take the lower graphics as long as the Wii keeps giving me experiences like the ones I have already had. 

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2006, 01:48:16 AM »

ROFL that's just priceless, and you don't thnk that if this generation is 20 years long that PS3 & 360 games won't relatively look like NES games when compared to Windows -or whatever MicroSoft calls it's OS then- games.

I haven't seen any posts in this thread that are disputing that PS3 & 360 games have superior graphics to Wii games; that's a forgone conclusion. What's been stated time and again is that the Wii is no more powerful than the Xbox or even the Cube, and that's just complete BS!

If Ninja Gaiden and RE2 were considered good looking games, there's no reason -other than lack of comittment from developers- that Wii games can't surpass these.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2006, 05:27:46 AM »

even though i have a Wii...whats the story with the online...will there be any online play at all?...i can only connect to the shopping channel and that at the moment..i didnt think online play was actually gonna be a factor with this console,mainly because of ninty's original vision on staying faithful with single player games

Yep, the online mode was actually one of the coolest features of the Wii version of BF3. On top of the "up to 32 players" mode that will most likely be standard on all the platforms, the Wii is supposed to have an exlusive melee arena battle mode. Not too many details on this mode, but considering it's Wii excluse I think we can assume it's going to be an all-out lightsaber/blaster/force power battle to the death which sounds insanely cool to me. On top of that, there are supposed to be a load of Wii exclusive mini games.

If Lucas Arts can get the controls down on top of a good single player campaign and multiplayer mode, and push those Wii graphics to the RE4 level, I think we might have us one of the coolest games in a long time and I would definately buy it over a 360/PS3 version. I love my graphics, but the gameplay potential sounds way too cool.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 05:31:00 AM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
unbreakable
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2006, 06:42:16 AM »

Wow.  I've already said the Wii needs a multiplayer FPS.  Throwing lightsabers into one...  :icon_eek:  Nice...

Having said that, I've still never liked a BF title.  After the craptacular SWBF, I skipped SWBF2.  Hopefully they can put out something good.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2006, 08:00:05 AM »

Quote from: Lee on December 18, 2006, 01:34:30 AM

And? We all know that. They weren't going for power. I am fine with that, as is everyone else who has one. We had our OO party last night, and it was great fun. The system is just plain fun. Yes the games aren't there yet. But it's a new system, the 360 game line up was pretty unimpressive a year ago if you remember. The games will come.

The Wii and PS3 bashing/negativity is getting really old. Stick to your 360 threads, we all know everyones opinions now, you all tell us in every thread you can.

Yeah, no, I don't think so. I like the PS3. I will pick one up when I can afford it. I don't like the Wii, for a variety of reasons. Its not bashing, its observing percieved faults. Thats why we frequent forums. We talk about things. And no thanks, I wont just stick to the threads that you deem appropriate. Kthnx.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2006, 12:11:53 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on December 18, 2006, 06:42:16 AM

Wow.  I've already said the Wii needs a multiplayer FPS.  Throwing lightsabers into one...  :icon_eek:  Nice...

Having said that, I've still never liked a BF title.  After the craptacular SWBF, I skipped SWBF2.  Hopefully they can put out something good.

wow,swbf 1 and 2 are some of the best online games ever in my opinion,star wars bf 1 was the game that got me into xbox live...i wasnt off that game for nearly a year

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2006, 02:01:15 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on December 18, 2006, 08:00:05 AM

Quote from: Lee on December 18, 2006, 01:34:30 AM

Yeah, no, I don't think so. I like the PS3. I will pick one up when I can afford it. I don't like the Wii, for a variety of reasons. Its not bashing, its observing percieved faults. Thats why we frequent forums. We talk about things. And no thanks, I wont just stick to the threads that you deem appropriate. Kthnx.

Fine then, find a new flaw to bitch about. We have heard the graphics aren't as good on the Wii. We know.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: