http://gamingtrend.com
August 29, 2014, 03:38:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Wii] Not even Nintendo can sell games on their own console  (Read 2392 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« on: January 10, 2010, 10:26:23 PM »

Long story short - Nintendo stops shipments of Metroid Prime Trilogy basically due to it not selling worth a darn:

The Wii has become infamous for the poor sales of traditional games that appeal to traditional gamers, but it's always been considered a problem for third party publishers only. However, the sad fate of Metroid Prime Trilogy seems to confirm that even the Wii's creator is having trouble selling good games.

According to reports, Nintendo has ceased the publication of Metroid Prime Trilogy and won't be shipping the game collection anymore. After a mere four months since launch, Nintendo would only confirm that "you may still be able to locate a copy via stores that specialize in previously played or used games."

While Nintendo hasn't given a reason for this decision, the fact that Metroid Prime Trilogy only managed to sell half a million copies might have something to do with it. With the Wii's install base as high as it is, there is no reason for games of this nature to sell poorly. The ignorance of the majority of Wii owners is quite astounding. When not even Nintendo can ship a good game but titles like Carnival Games still chart, there is something severely f*cked up with the console's install base.

(quoted the entire thing because I can)

Now, some would say this is because you've been able to purchase all three games for far cheaper than the combined package of MPT, but without motion controls for two of the titles (as they're the Gamecube versions of 1 and 2). Others might say it's because the Metroid Prime series hasn't been all that popular. Others would say it's because it's not the next Carnival Games or other Wii-shovelware bullcrap.

What do you think?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 10:30:07 PM »

Too bad it won't make Nintendo fail this generation and get out of the hardware business forever.
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 10:53:53 PM »

I haven't bought it yet because still need to play MP3 I have and had other wii games I wanted first. Was waiting for it to drop in price though would probably skip and just get Other M once its out. A quick google showed MP3 only sold 1.5m so don't see why they expected huge sales for MPT. Maybe every got enough metroid when they bought MP3. I never thought the Metroid were big sellers anyway, least VS Mario or Zelda.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 10:56:49 PM by Creepy_Smell » Logged

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 11:02:18 PM »

What do I think? Really in the scheme of things sales do not affect my enjoyment of the Wii or any other videogame system. What it tells me is that the MP combo pack isn't selling, but Nintendo isn't having trouble selling games, just look at the Wii Fit's, New Super Mario Bros and Wii Sports Resorts of the worlds...

As for future releases I have more than gotten my money's worth out of all of my systems, so they could stop making games tomorrow, and I'd survive.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 11:03:22 PM »

'there's no success like failure,
& failure's no success at all...'

- b dylan

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 11:07:54 PM »

Quote from: Destructoid on January 10, 2010, 10:26:23 PM

The ignorance of the majority of Wii owners is quite astounding.

Ignorance?  There are any number of reasons people aren't buying it, not least maybe they just don't bloody want it.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 07:23:59 PM by Huw the Poo » Logged

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 11:13:18 PM »

500k copies of a repackaged set (as in these are not even new games) seems pretty good to me.

Metroid has never been one of their super-selling franchises anyway.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 11:25:10 PM »

I'm replaying MP now on it and am enjoying the hell out of it.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 12:25:11 AM »

Anyone who was a core customer for MP3 had probably already played the first two, and anyone who was brand new to the MP series was being asked to buy a package with a game they already owned. And really, I don't think they advertised it at all to casual gamers. There certainly weren't any tv commercials, and I never saw an ad for it on a gaming site, much less a non-gaming site. I'm not really sure what they were expecting.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 02:44:52 AM »

The article was just speculating on Nintendo's reasons.  The 500,000 copies sold could have been what they were expecting.  It seems reasonable to me for a repackaging of older games.  I would also guess that the expensive packaging played a part in the decision.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 03:21:07 AM »

How quickly I cave smile

Had to go out near my BB so stopped by. They had 2 copies left still at $50 but went ahead and got it. Not opening it for the 30day return period to see if I find it somewhere cheaper (Target secret shelf? I can dream!) . Now to hit up my local used game store or Hasting to trade in MP3.

They should just start doing this as regular marketing..call them all limited editions smile

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 03:30:59 AM »

Metroid Prime is one of my favorite franchises of all time.  I played through all three games in their original incarnations, and I bought the Trilogy pack for the Wii as soon as it came out.

I also thought that Mario Galaxy was one of the best games I played last year, and Twilight Princess was the best game I've played in the Zelda franchise.  Super Smash Brothers Brawl, No More Heroes, Super Paper Mario, Resident Evil 4 and de Blob also get a thumbsup from me.

Whether or not "traditional" games sell very well on the Wii, I'd disagree with the notion that they can't be done well.  I've still got the new Silent Hill game on my docket....

-Autistic Angel
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2010, 03:47:36 AM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on January 10, 2010, 11:07:54 PM

Quote from: Destructor on January 10, 2010, 10:26:23 PM

Ignorance?  There are any number of reasons people aren't buying it, not least maybe they just don't bloody want it.

Perhaps it threw everyone off with it not being labeled an Adventure pack, so everyone assumed it was a shooter. Tongue

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2010, 04:02:29 AM »

Quote from: Purge on January 11, 2010, 03:47:36 AM

Quote from: Totally Not Destructor saying this but Huw screwing up the quoting mechanic on January 10, 2010, 10:26:23 PM

Ignorance?  There are any number of reasons people aren't buying it, not least maybe they just don't bloody want it.

Perhaps it threw everyone off with it not being labeled an Adventure pack, so everyone assumed it was a shooter. Tongue

maybe they should have called it Samus's Carnival Games or Metroid Party or packaged it with another controller.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 08:18:19 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2010, 04:50:43 AM »

I think it's the developer and/or publisher's fault for expecting traditional games to sell on the Wii. Make games that cater to the userbase!

I applaud attempts to make something good out of the Wii's control scheme, especially the likes of Silent Hill and so on, but we have to be realistic and acknowledge that the ratio of casual goober gamers to the traditional gamers is probably 10:1.

Hopefully on the 360 and PS3 we can see it done right.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 04:53:52 AM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2010, 06:28:05 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 11, 2010, 04:02:29 AM

Quote from: Destructor on January 10, 2010, 10:26:23 PM

maybe they should have called it Samus's Carnival Games or Metroid Party or packaged it with another controller.

Yeah, that would've most definitely made sales jump 10-fold.

Well, Nintendo wanted the 'casual' gamer. They got it in droves.

Oh, and let it be known that I didn't actually say what's in the quote block up top.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2010, 06:49:29 AM »

Well...let me just put my broken record back on: "Nintendos' catering to the casual gamer runs the risk or alienating their traditional core fans...Nintendo's catering to the casual gamer runs the risk of alienating their traditional core fans."

There...now I can put that disk away for a while. Roll Eyes
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2010, 08:17:50 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on January 11, 2010, 06:28:05 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on January 11, 2010, 04:02:29 AM

Quote from: Totally Not Destructor saying this but Huw screwing up the quoting mechanic on January 10, 2010, 10:26:23 PM

Yeah, that would've most definitely made sales jump 10-fold.

Well, Nintendo wanted the 'casual' gamer. They got it in droves.

Oh, and let it be known that I didn't actually say what's in the quote block up top.

holy quote malfunction!  damn those Brits, I edited mine to make it clearer  icon_twisted

Because I can,
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2010, 07:12:33 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on January 11, 2010, 06:49:29 AM

Well...let me just put my broken record back on: "Nintendos' catering to the casual gamer runs the risk or alienating their traditional core fans...Nintendo's catering to the casual gamer runs the risk of alienating their traditional core fans."

Bzzzt.  Those traditional core fans ditched Nintendo during the Gamecube years.  At the risk of sounding like a broken record too, why go after a demographic that doesn't want you?

Besides, Metroid never sells a lot even when times are good.  Metroid Fusion sold less than a million copies in North America, and the best selling Metroid game was Prime, which sold 1.49 million in NA.  Metroid Prime 2 sold 470,000 in NA, and Metroid Prime 3 sold a little over a million worldwide.  Good numbers, but not exactly a barn-burner.  Plus add in the fact that the Metroid Prime Trilogy case is very high-quality (it's metal!) and is strictly fan-service, and it's easy to see why they're not making any more.  I got my copy already, though.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2010, 07:23:26 PM »

Destructor: Oops, sorry!

CeeKay: I've never known anyone to screw up tags as often as you.  So you can kiss my hairy arse!  icon_smile

Steam profile
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2010, 07:54:51 PM »

Yeah they should probably use Punch Out sales as evidence.  500k of a combined re-release seems pretty damn good to me. 
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2010, 08:09:52 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on January 11, 2010, 07:23:26 PM

No problem at all. Just wanted to correct you, that's all.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2010, 08:11:32 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on January 11, 2010, 07:23:26 PM

CeeKay: I've never known anyone to screw up tags as often as you.  So you can kiss my hairy arse!  icon_smile

hey, at least mine couldn't cause a major international incident. I can see it now, 'GT staff member calls Wii users ignorant, gets mauled by rabid fanboys while getting the mornng paper'  complete witha picture if D's body lying on his lawn, dressed only in a tshirt and underwear. Tongue

Because I can,
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2010, 09:24:34 PM »

Ya know, the more I think about that Destructoid (slywink) quote, the more pissed off I get at it.  Wii owners are ignorant because they're not buying a game some shithead blogger thinks is important?  Perhaps people are, I dunno, exercising free will and doing the revolutionary thing known as buying what they want to buy.  I'm a "hardcore gamer" and you know what my Wii does?  It sits on the fucking shelf collecting dust which, in a couple of months from now, is what it will have spent two straight years doing.  The "ignorant" casual gamers, meanwhile, are getting their money's worth out of the godforsaken thing and actually enjoying themselves.  Fair play to them.

This Destructoid blogger is a tit.

Steam profile
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2010, 09:31:44 PM »

there is no reason for games of this nature to sell poorly.

umm. yes there is. who the fuck writes this shit? See, this is what I mean. Gaming journalism, if it can be called that, is a god damn joke. Hey dipshit blogger, clearly there IS a reason because it's not selling. Maybe, Oh, I don't know. The fact that there's a billion other BETTER games to play. Or maybe people already played them and won't be buying it again.

Jesus fuck, I mean really. How do these people even keep their shitty blogs running with such stupidity as this? If you were a real gaming journalist you'd be finding out why it isn't selling. not typing shit you have zero basis for and anyone with a god damn brain knows why it isn't selling.
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2010, 11:44:30 PM »

Well, and compounding the fact is that a lot of people played Metroid Prime the first time around.  It's a compilation, pure and simple, and compilations don't sell well anyway.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2010, 02:37:48 AM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on January 11, 2010, 07:12:33 PM

Quote from: kronovan on January 11, 2010, 06:49:29 AM

Bzzzt.  Those traditional core fans ditched Nintendo during the Gamecube years.  At the risk of sounding like a broken record too, why go after a demographic that doesn't want you?

Fair enough, with only about 25 million Gamecubes having been sold globally I can see where you could make a case for that. I also don't blame Nintendo for going the casual root as there strategy last gen obviously didn't pay off as well as this gens'. My impression of the Cube though was that Big N satisfied more of the core fans than what they're doing with the Wii. It's true they sold very few system last gen, but they did very good numbers in sales for their core franchises - an indicator that a good number of those 25 million were core fans.

With 500k on a remake, they're still making decent profit with MP Trilogy. So I guess another way of looking at it is, sure they're not doing Super Mario Galaxy, NMB or Zelda TP numbers with it, but they're still making enough sales to justify the effort in satisfying those amongst their core audience that want a new control scheme or may have missed 1 of the GC titles. The bottom line is that with the stellar sales of the Wii, Big N could easily afford to do MP Trilogy and keep publishing it - heck I think they should do the same thing for Wind Waker and Eternal Darkness. What troubles me though is that isn't what their doing and they seem quite content to leave their core audience behind. That could very well bite them in the long term, because as I've said more than once there's a possibility that casual gamers may prove to be quite fickle, which could leave Big N without much of an audience in future gens.
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2010, 02:54:40 AM »

Yeah, I do hear that.  Let's say that next generation Sony comes out with the PS4 and the PSLite (for casuals!) that happens to be $200 and motion controlled, who are the "casuals" going to side with?  Nintendo's hoping that they can make their customers into a more loyal group this time around, but gaming is different than other media.  Don't get me wrong, I love my Wii (and I'm one of the few here who do) and there are other reasons why core games aren't doing well (bad box-art, ho-hum reviews, confused focus), but it is definitely an area of concern.

And I'm waiting for the DS2 to see a rerelease of Wind Waker and Eternal Darkness. Tongue
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2010, 06:48:21 PM »

I want to buy the compilation, but I already have all three games and $50 for motion controls is a tough sell for me.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2010, 03:14:58 AM »

I was at the store picking up my copy of Zelda: Twilight Princess and my brother remarked that he had wanted the Metroid Trilogy, but didn't know if it was worth it. Were these remakes of the gamecube games or of the originals, he didn't know. I think Nintendo could of done a bit more to explain where this fits in. He was more interested in remakes of the original games.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 03:25:53 AM by Rumpy » Logged
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2010, 03:22:11 AM »

Quote from: Rumpy on January 13, 2010, 03:14:58 AM

I was at the store picking up my copy of Zelda: Twight Princess and my brother remarked that he had wanted the Metroid Trilogy, but didn't know if it was worth it. Were these remakes of the gamecube games or of the originals, he didn't know. I think Nintendo could of done a bit more to explain where this fits in. He was more interested in remakes of the original games.

Well the copy on the box actually says it includes both Gamecube Prime games as well as the Wii Metroid Prime Corruption....
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2010, 05:50:06 AM »

As I reflect upon this thread, I'm reminded how I'm pining for Wii'ified remakes, when I'd actually much rather have some original IP's and new entries in their core franchises. From my perspective, the Wii's install base is already more than twice the Cubes' lifetime, so there's less risk this gen for Nintendo to return their investment on games targeted at their core gamer. Sure Eternal Darkness only sold about 100k on the cube, but if they did an Eternal Darkness 2 and manged 200k, that's still decent profit. Heck, even if they don't make profit on it, they're so able to subsidise such a game this gen that it's not even funny.

When you compare the games Nintendo released for the core gamer at this point in the Gamecube lifecycle (just over 3 years) with those for the Wii, the lack of effort this gen is quite evident. Here's a list that excludes the Mario franchise and other games target at Nintendo's more casual audience. I also highlighted the remakes and original IP's so they're easier to spot.

Gamecube

Super Smash Bros Melee
Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime 2
Eternal Darkness - original IP
Zelda Wind Waker
Zelda Ocarina of Time - remake
Zelda Majoras Mask - remake
Zelda Four Swords
Zelda Twilight Princess
Pikmin - original IP
Pikmin 2
F-Zero GX
Star Fox Adventures

You could probably make a case that Luigi's Mansion was a game more targeted towards the Nintendo core gamer.

Wii

Zelda Twilight Princess
Super Smash Bros Brawl
Metroid Prime 3
Metroid Prime 1 - remake
Metroid Prime 2 - remake
Pikmin - remake
Pikmin 2 - remake
Punch Out!!
Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn

Yup, not a single original IP among the Wii games.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 08:33:51 AM by kronovan » Logged
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2010, 07:54:43 AM »

kronovan, you only listed 2 original IPs for the Gamecube.  I don't see how that's a lot either?
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2010, 08:33:07 AM »

Quote from: KePoW on January 13, 2010, 07:54:43 AM

kronovan, you only listed 2 original IPs for the Gamecube.  I don't see how that's a lot either?

It's true 2 isn't that many, but they were 2 stellar AAA games and Pikimin did get an even better sequel. As well, 2 is certainly better than the zero original IP's they've released this gen. slywink  Where the cube really did better was new entries for the franchises targeted at the core gamer - particularily the Metroid Primes and F-Zero.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 08:34:51 AM by kronovan » Logged
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2010, 08:37:26 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on January 13, 2010, 08:33:07 AM

Quote from: KePoW on January 13, 2010, 07:54:43 AM

kronovan, you only listed 2 original IPs for the Gamecube.  I don't see how that's a lot either?

It's true 2 isn't that many, but they were 2 stellar AAA games and Pikimin did get an even better sequel. As well, 2 is certainly better than the zero original IP's they've released this gen. slywink  Where the cube really did better was new entries for the franchises targeted at the core gamer - particularily the Metroid Primes and F-Zero.

You're right, two is certainly better than zero but it's still not a lot in the total scheme of things.

I guess it's not that impressive to me also because I didn't like those 2 games/franchises.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2010, 01:24:04 PM »

It may officially be two, but Luigi's Mansion, Star Fox Adventures and especially Metroid Prime were totally different takes on older franchises, making them almost new IPs (though SFA wasn't a huge hit critically or with fans [I liked it, though]).

Also, you're missing the GC Wave Race and Super Mario Sunshine from that list.  I think they were both out in the same timeframe, weren't they?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 01:37:04 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2010, 03:27:53 PM »

Where the cube really did better was new entries for the franchises targeted at the core gamer - particularily the Metroid Primes and F-Zero.

Personally, I can't really agree.  I think Nintendo has done a better job with their franchise entries this generation.  Galaxy is worlds better than Sunshine, Mario Kart Wii is a lot better than Double Dash, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption is kind of toss up compared to Prime 1 but a significant improvement on Prime 2, and while I know many wouldn't include it in this list I would put the Wii version of Twlight Princess way above Wind Waker (I really liked the waggle implementation compared to the regular Zelda control scheme).  

And the new Metroid from Team Ninja may or may not be as good as Prime, but it's certainly a major shift in direction.  

I don't think Nintendo has been as aggressive at putting out core games this generation but I think one of the problems in the Cube era was they emphasized timely releases over quality.  This generation they seem a bit more content to take their time.  
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2010, 08:37:52 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on January 13, 2010, 01:24:04 PM

Also, you're missing the GC Wave Race and Super Mario Sunshine from that list.  I think they were both out in the same timeframe, weren't they?

Yup, you're indeed correct about the Wave Race Blue Storm, don't know how I forgot about that one - perhaps because it was a bit of a disappointment for me after the outstanding Wave Race 64. While I'll be the 1st to admit the degree of difficulty in SMS made it appropriate for Big N's core game, I still see it as a casual oriented game.

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 13, 2010, 03:27:53 PM

Where the cube really did better was new entries for the franchises targeted at the core gamer - particularily the Metroid Primes and F-Zero.

Personally, I can't really agree.  I think Nintendo has done a better job with their franchise entries this generation.  Galaxy is worlds better than Sunshine, Mario Kart Wii is a lot better than Double Dash, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption is kind of toss up compared to Prime 1 but a significant improvement on Prime 2, and while I know many wouldn't include it in this list I would put the Wii version of Twlight Princess way above Wind Waker (I really liked the waggle implementation compared to the regular Zelda control scheme).

I agree Mario Kart Wii and Super Mario Galaxy are superior to their GC predecessors, but for me neither of those is targeted at core gamers - hence my impression that the GC was better for that audience. I did really enjoy Wind Waker, but I would also give the nod to Twilight Princess as the better game. Something to remember though; TP was 1st and foremost a GC game. Nintendo initially intended it only for the GC then held it back while they did an additional Wii version, but it's still really a game that showcases the capabilities of the GC as opposed to the Wii. I also really enjoyed MP3, but that I haven't enjoyed replaying it nearly as much as MP has made me conclude it's the lesser of the 2. My recent replay of MP quite honestly almost awed me as much as my 1st play through 7 years ago.

I don't think Nintendo has been as aggressive at putting out core games this generation but I think one of the problems in the Cube era was they emphasized timely releases over quality.  This generation they seem a bit more content to take their time.  

Good point and perhaps after it's all said and done this gen will conclude with more Wii games for the core gamer, but so far I'd still give the edge to the GC.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2010, 09:21:02 PM »

I'd disagree that Galaxy isn't targeted at core gamers.  NSMB Wii definitely seems designed for maximum casual appeal (though the somewhat stiff difficulty could provide a rebuttal) but I think Galaxy (and Sunshine) are hitting the same demographic sweep as Zelda.

Quote from: kronovan on January 13, 2010, 08:37:52 PM

Something to remember though; TP was 1st and foremost a GC game. Nintendo initially intended it only for the GC then held it back while they did an additional Wii version, but it's still really a game that showcases the capabilities of the GC as opposed to the Wii.

Yeah, that's why I put the caveat about the "waggle" in there- I personally loved the Twilight Princess control scheme on Wii compared to the Cube/N64 Zelda control scheme so the controls were enough for me to consider it as a Wii game first and foremost. 

I also really enjoyed MP3, but that I haven't enjoyed replaying it nearly as much as MP has made me conclude it's the lesser of the 2.

Right but lest we forget, Metroid Prime 2 was a Cube-era game as well and it falls well short of Prime 3 for me. 

Good point and perhaps after it's all said and done this gen will conclude with more Wii games for the core gamer, but so far I'd still give the edge to the GC.

The talk of same generation sequels is probably a big reason that the discussion is pretty inconclusive.  Pikmin 2 was a significant step above the first game (and to some extent could be considered as elevating the franchise's status accordingly) while Prime 2 was a step down and people's opinions on how Twilight Princess compares to Wind Waker are relatively divided.  So we'll have to see how the new Metroid compares to Prime 3, Galaxy 2 to Galaxy, and how the Zelda Wii turns out to get the full picture.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2010, 02:53:31 AM »

It looks like Nintendo is stopping production on lots of games, including mass-market games like Wii Fit and Wii Music, at least according to this.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: